hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't agree with him. Sympathy for any coach drives his article and not any critical evaluation of what we're actually seeing.

Pat says "he's done enough". Not so sure about that, Pat. Not sure at all.
    Fair enough it is his opinion

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I do find the idea that sacking him will lead to instability. There’s absolutely nothing resembling positive stability at Hibs with Montgomery at the helm.
    There wasn't any positive stability under McInnes in his first year back either though given time he turned it around maybe that's what Monty needs too .

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    There wasn't any positive stability under McInnes in his first year back either though given time he turned it around maybe that's what Monty needs too .
    No matter how many times you repeat it, keeping a newly promoted team up by 9 points is fairly stable.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    He also speaks about how we ‘progressed’ in the cups as some form of positive.

A semi and quarter final are no where near being considered positive.
    Especially the Scottish having beaten two lower league teams though no doubt we weren’t allowed to beat Rangers. Should undoubtedly have got to league cup final though.

No matter how many times you repeat it, keeping a newly promoted team up by 9 points is fairly stable.
    If you say so though some of the Killie fans weren't happy at the time and the Kille board could have well questioned what direction the club were going in after losing 62 goals , 20 games out of 38 in there first season back . I don't think it's against the possibility the Killie board could have reacted in a different way .

Fair dues to them for sticking with him through a really difficult season though . I think there's a lesson for us all in sacking a manager before he's had a proper chance to rebuild the squad especially one that's been failing repeatedly.

@hibs.net private member
    If you say so though some of the Killie fans weren't happy at the time and the Kille board could have well questioned what direction the club were going in after losing 62 goals , 20 games out of 38 in there first season back . I don't think it's against the possibility the Killie board could have reacted in a different way .

Fair dues to them for sticking with him through a really difficult season though . I think there's a lesson for us all in sacking a manager before he's had a proper chance to rebuild the squad especially one that's been failing repeatedly.
    100% finally some sanity.

I think he has to go as he's done nothing at all to showcase his own beliefs or system. After January the squad was significantly strengthened and yet our best two performances of the season were against Luzern. His substitutions are incredible for all the wrong reasons and his slow ponderous style of play is mind numbingly boring. In short, there is not one single redeeming feature that would make me want to keep him.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar

Yes there is a lesson to be learned here, don't sit on yer hands hoping things will get better! Act and take control, the current manager has NOT been a good appointment he has had all but the first three league games and we are a poor side. In addition to being poor we are bad to watch, slow, eye bleeding stuff and the bulk of our support have given up on him as a result.

We do not want to get rid just for the sake of it, he has failed yet there are still the undecided urging a decision to stick.

I cannot see any way NM survives this and most likely a decision has already been agreed between our shareholders.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    No, I want him gone. I’m not saying he’s terrible, but I don’t think he will improve us. His football is boring; everything just feels flat at the club. Nothing personal against the man; I just think we should be doing better. Thanks for trying, but he isn’t for us.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member

It wasn’t a ‘really difficult season’. It’s exactly the kind of season you’d expect from a newly promoted team. They consolidated their place in the league by 9 points. Job done.

You constantly refer to it as if the fact he didn’t get them top 4 last season is a failure. He got them promoted from a position where it looked far from certain they would. He then kept them up comfortably, which is really what’s to be expected from a newly promoted club with a budget like Kilmarnock.

He’s provided stability at Kilmarnock by doing everything asked of him and then exceeding it. Montgomery is providing complete instability at Hibs by missing targets which has a huge knock on effect going forward.

Sacking him may give us a bit of instability. But keeping him has also done exactly that. Well now be having to look at the players we were wanting to sign, re-evaluate who is likely to want to come to us considering we’re a bottom 6 side with no European football etc. That’s not stability, that’s throwing evrrythng up in the air.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 15-04-2024 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    Yes there is a lesson to be learned here, don't sit on yer hands hoping things will get better! Act and take control, the current manager has NOT been a good appointment he has had all but the first three league games and we are a poor side. In addition to being poor we are bad to watch, slow, eye bleeding stuff and the bulk of our support have given up on him as a result.

We do not want to get rid just for the sake of it, he has failed yet there are still the undecided urging a decision to stick.

I cannot see any way NM survives this and most likely a decision has already been agreed between our shareholders.
    Things can only get better once the managers has had time to have a clear out and recruit his own players which was never going to all happen in the January window.

The last 3 managers and now Monty too , folk have been complaining about the football that was/is being played yet quite a lot on here want to appoint Derek McInnes as manager. Takes some working out that one btw

@hibs.net private member
    Things can only get better once the managers has had time to have a clear out and recruit his own players which was never going to all happen in the January window.

The last 3 managers and now Monty too , folk have been complaining about the football that was/is being played yet quite a lot on here want to appoint Derek McInnes as manager. Takes some working out that one btw
    Things can only get better once the manager has had a clear out?

Take Derek McInnes, just because you mentioned him in your post. He came in and improved things. Didn’t need to have a mass clear out, didn’t need lots of windows. He came in and improved on the previous manager instantly.

A decent manager can improve things instantly.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 16-04-2024 at 10:52 AM.

Take Derek McInnes, just because you mentioned him in your post. He came in and improved things. Didn’t need to have a mass clear out, didn’t need lots of windows. He came in and improved on the previous manager instantly.

Again Killie winning the championship I'd expect . And again he struggled with Kilmarnock on their return .

Here's a direct quote from him after getting promoted .... We don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves but what we do want to do is make sure we are not in a position next season where we are fighting relegation again.

Which is exactly WHAT THEY WERE THAT SEASON.... It was only after being given time in the following summer did McInnes improve the Killie team which is why this season he's doing good .

Since Derek McInnes has been appointed at Killie he's had about 3 transfer windows , two preseasons to get were they are today .

Our managers had 1 which is the worst and no pre-season as well as taking us over when bottom of the league.

Kilmarnock football club deserve enormous credit for sticking with their manager and at least giving him a fair chance to turn things around when they were struggling.

The way we have been going with managers I doubt we would have given McInnes the same time in their position or even now for that matter too.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/s...ock-squad.html

@hibs.net private member
    Again Killie winning the championship I'd expect . And again he struggled with Kilmarnock on their return .

Here's a direct quote from him after getting promoted .... We don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves but what we do want to do is make sure we are not in a position next season where we are fighting relegation again.

Which is exactly WHAT THEY WERE THAT SEASON.... It was only after being given time in the following summer did McInnes improve the Killie team which is why this season he's doing good .

Since Derek McInnes has been appointed at Killie he's had about 3 transfer windows , two preseasons to get were they are today .

Our managers had 1 which is the worst and no pre-season as well as taking us over when bottom of the league.

Kilmarnock football club deserve enormous credit for sticking with their manager and at least giving him a fair chance to turn things around when they were struggling.

The way we have been going with managers I doubt we would have given McInnes the same time in their position or even now for that matter too.

You say you’d expect Killie to win the championship, that’s not the point though. You said you can only improve once you get to have a clear out. McInnes improved them without a clear out and coming in in the middle of the window that you claim is so hard to do business in.

I would expect Hibs to get Europe. Montgomery didn’t manage that though, yet you are insistent that McInnes managing to do what was expected of him is evidence of some form of struggle.

They finished 9 points clear of relegation. That’s not fighting relegation. They finished with about 30% more points than the team that got relegated. They finished with a points total that wouldn’t have come close to getting them relegated in any previous season. They even finished with a points total that left them 6 clear of the playoff, and a points total that also would never have come close to putting them in the playoff in previous seasons either.

You’re on another thread where someone has suggested we are in danger of dropping into the playoffs where you declared that the odds may as well be a million to one and you’ve more chance of winning the lottery. We’re 9 points ahead of that position. Yet you’re insistent that McInnes was battling relegation despite being 9 points clear of relegation. So, which is it?

Has Montgomery taken Hibs from European football last season to battling to avoid the playoffs this season?

I also note that McInnes has noted in the article you’ve linked that he met his targets last season, again, something which you continuously suggest he didn’t do and that he had a poor season where they would have expected more of him.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 16-04-2024 at 02:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar

I agree with this. We are too quick to dismiss Managers without giving them a chance. There is no other job, where someone with less than a year in post, would be facing calls for his dismissal. NM has, very quickly, had to get results with a team of players he had no prior knowledge of in a league he had no prior knowledge of. It was the Club that chose him and put him in this position. Have results been great’ no. But let’s give the guy a chance to get things right, with a summer transfer window and a (almost) full preseason. There is no guarantee that any manager, Derek McInnes included, is going to be able to hit the ground running. He has shown in Australia that he can manage a team to success. So my opinion is, that he should stay.

All the things I liked about him in his first 3 months in the job are no longer present.

We were likely to concede goals but we were exciting going forward and played some lovely stuff. For the past 3-4 months the former is still the same and the excitement has pretty much evaporated despite having better players.

Normally I'd agree that a manger deserves time but this one haunts me of Butcher the way we are regressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I agree with this. We are too quick to dismiss Managers without giving them a chance. There is no other job, where someone with less than a year in post, would be facing calls for his dismissal. NM has, very quickly, had to get results with a team of players he had no prior knowledge of in a league he had no prior knowledge of. It was the Club that chose him and put him in this position. Have results been great’ no. But let’s give the guy a chance to get things right, with a summer transfer window and a (almost) full preseason. There is no guarantee that any manager, Derek McInnes included, is going to be able to hit the ground running. He has shown in Australia that he can manage a team to success. So my opinion is, that he should stay.
    It's not any other job though it's football and you need to very quickly show you are up to it. Makes you wonder what bull**** he said in his interview to make the club think he was the right man. I get the impression Kensell and Gordon would believe anything they're told. No sympathy for Montgomery whatsoever. He took the job and has not delivered.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We’ve had more prime ministers than Hibs managers last few years, and there’s no many folk arguing Rishi should get a chance to get it right. Liz Truss got about a half day in the job before it was clear she was a numpty and had to go.

Monty took a team who were doing well in Australia and done well with them. They’re still doing well without him.

Despite all the so called improvement in some performances we are in the bottom 6 and for that alone means he needs to go. Johnson even got us into the top 6 (just). I actually thought Monty was the answer for a while but willing to admit he isnt.

I would prefer Monty to say, but let’s say he goes. Who do we get.

I don’t believe mcinnes would leave Kilmarnock. Why would he. He doesn’t need the money. He has already shown loyalty is important to hi. He would be setting himself up to fail. He can continue to do well with killie.

Hibs would be mad to appoint Lennon and that’s not going to happen.

That leaves us with Robinson and docherty. Whilst each have positives, they could easily be no improvement.

I know I am in a minority but I have seen enough to believe Monty can be the right man. I get it’s been a below average season and there have been few stand out games. There have been stand out elements within games. Albeit some horror shows as well.

You say you’d expect Killie to win the championship, that’s not the point though. You said you can only improve once you get to have a clear out. McInnes improved them without a clear out and coming in in the middle of the window that you claim is so hard to do business in.

I would expect Hibs to get Europe. Montgomery didn’t manage that though, yet you are insistent that McInnes managing to do what was expected of him is evidence of some form of struggle.

They finished 9 points clear of relegation. That’s not fighting relegation. They finished with about 30% more points than the team that got relegated. They finished with a points total that wouldn’t have come close to getting them relegated in any previous season. They even finished with a points total that left them 6 clear of the playoff, and a points total that also would never have come close to putting them in the playoff in previous seasons either.

You’re on another thread where someone has suggested we are in danger of dropping into the playoffs where you declared that the odds may as well be a million to one and you’ve more chance of winning the lottery. We’re 9 points ahead of that position. Yet you’re insistent that McInnes was battling relegation despite being 9 points clear of relegation. So, which is it?

Has Montgomery taken Hibs from European football last season to battling to avoid the playoffs this season?

I also note that McInnes has noted in the article you’ve linked that he met his targets last season, again, something which you continuously suggest he didn’t do and that he had a poor season where they would have expected more of him.
    Kilmarnock avoided the relegation playoff spot on the last day of the season finishing behind teams with smaller budgets. They get a big advantage playing on a plastic pitch and got 80% of their 40 points at home. They only got 8 points away from home.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    I would prefer Monty to say, but let’s say he goes. Who do we get.

I don’t believe mcinnes would leave Kilmarnock. Why would he. He doesn’t need the money. He has already shown loyalty is important to hi. He would be setting himself up to fail. He can continue to do well with killie.

Hibs would be mad to appoint Lennon and that’s not going to happen.

That leaves us with Robinson and docherty. Whilst each have positives, they could easily be no improvement.

I know I am in a minority but I have seen enough to believe Monty can be the right man. I get it’s been a below average season and there have been few stand out games. There have been stand out elements within games. Albeit some horror shows as well.
    Why do we have to limit ourselves to current SPL managers or previous managers?

I’m not that bothered if Monty stays or goes, I just want the squad gutted either way. We should be asking Bournemouth about managers they are keeping an eye on in their succession planning. Maybe managers still working their way up the ladder who would be obtainable or come to us as part of working their way up the Black Knight ladder.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Kilmarnock avoided the relegation playoff spot on the last day of the season finishing behind teams with smaller budgets. They get a big advantage playing on a plastic pitch and got 80% of their 40 points at home. They only got 8 points away from home.
    What teams, and what was the Killie budget in comparison to them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Why do we have to limit ourselves to current SPL managers or previous managers?

I’m not that bothered if Monty stays or goes, I just want the squad gutted either way. We should be asking Bournemouth about managers they are keeping an eye on in their succession planning. Maybe managers still working their way up the ladder who would be obtainable or come to us as part of working their way up the Black Knight ladder.
    That seemed to be the chat. Needs to be someone with proven experience in the spl.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Who had a smaller budget than them? How much smaller was it? They also finished above a team with an almost undoubtedly bigger budget than them in DU.

The playoff spot also isn’t relegation, as Donegal kept referring to. It’s a playoff spot. In terms of relegation as Donegal kept mentioning, they were nowhere near the relegation place.

At the end of the day, they finished miles ahead of Dundee United in the relegation spot and significantly ahead of Ross County in the playoff spot.

I couldn’t really care less where they gained their points. Their overall performance over the season lead to them avoiding relegation comfortably and avoiding the playoff by 6 points, again, a decent margin.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 16-04-2024 at 08:21 PM.

I'd like him fired now and a new manager brought in shortly after. He's failed to get us into the top six and I honestly don't see anything that suggests he'd improve things next season. The fact we didn't address our defensive deficiencies in January is unforgivable and he and probably others are culpable for this.

Who had a smaller budget than them? How much smaller was it? They also finished above a team with an almost undoubtedly bigger budget than them in DU.

The playoff spot also isn’t relegation, as Donegal kept referring to. It’s a playoff spot. In terms of relegation as Donegal kept mentioning, they were nowhere near the relegation place.

At the end of the day, they finished miles ahead of Dundee United in the relegation spot and significantly ahead of Ross County in the playoff spot.

I couldn’t really care less where they gained their points. Their overall performance over the season lead to them avoiding relegation comfortably and avoiding the playoff by 6 points, again, a decent margin.
    St Johnstone and Livi have smaller budgets and possibly others, it was a while ago I looked it up. Yes the playoff spot isn't relegation and it isn't safety either. A Hibs fan should know that better than anyone. You claimed they finished 9 points clear of relegation which isn't strictly true is it? They finished 9 points clear of automatic relegation and avoided the playoff spot on the last day of the season.

I couldn't really care less whether or not you care where they got their points. The point still stands, they get a big advantage from their plastic pitch and could easily have been relegated without such an advantage. Yes they were 6 points ahead of Ross County, thanks to a win against them on the last day on said plastic, advantageous pitch. A loss would have had them in the playoffs as their goal difference was -27 compared to Ross County's -21 before the match.
    Last edited by 007; 16-04-2024 at 09:11 PM.

Some people going to incredible lengths to defend Kilmarnock having a poor season a couple of years back in a way they never would if it were the team they support.

What a time to be alive.

Going into the split that year I think both Killie and Dundee Utd were on something like 31 points each with Ross County on 27 points .

Dundee Utd went down having the same points going into the split as Killie so I think it's fair to say going into the last 5 games there was 3 clubs endanger of automatic relegation and the other two of a play off spot that could also lead to relegation too .

Again though the Kilmarnock board deserve enormous credit for sticking with McInnes that year considering how bad it was . Not many clubs nowadays stick with a manager that loses 6 out of his first 8 games in fairness. We sacked one for losing his first 3 ! .

As to your earlier questions of which is it ? Our situation going into the split is very much different to the one Killie had . Killie had also lost 20 games that season which is just about our combined wins and draws .

Really can't see Ross county winning 4 or 5 and us losing 4 or 5 in truth .

this is the guy that got his team to just scrape ahead of a part time Arbroath side to go up at the death. imagine the seethe on here if that's how we got promoted. in fact, Lenny's promotion season was often dull with lots of draws and odd decisions...funny what you can then do when you give a manager another full season and a bit of backing as he then got us 3rd...