hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the past three years this club has tried to be too smart. It looked down its nose at the Scottish game, thinking that signing young players from the continent and hiring rookie managers/those with no real experience of Scottish football would get us results

Whether people like it or not, our last taste of consistent success was under Jack Ross, a man who knew Scottish football inside out. Ever since his untimely and extremely harsh dismissal we have been utterly dreadful. His sacking (when it happened) was the wrong decision. Since then those wrong decisions have continued to the point where we can’t break the cycle. That is why Ben Kensell has to go and we need a complete refresh.

I worry that Black Knights have a deal with Kensell that will see him here for a long time to come. This man will drag us down further, mark my words. We haven’t hit rock bottom just yet.

Some of the things I have heard about his stewardship of the club in the last 24 hours. His treatment of certain players and clauses in their deals…
    10/10 You are Bang On

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    You have to ask why we need 12 directors to run Hibs, although Kensell and Ian Gordon are on the payroll
    Why do we need so many?
    Gravy train
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

I just can’t help but think how many chances we miss/should score from compared to other teams.

Even things that aren’t particularly poor defensively from us, we instantly get punished.

Yesterday is the prime example, their centre half half volleyed a shot and scored an absolute screamer. When would our centre half ever strike a ball that luckily,

I don’t know what it is, because we should have so many more points.

Some of it I struggle to blame Montgomery for and think “if he does this “ we’ll be ok and improve, the other half thinks it’s just not worked. Hes been unlucky with a few things - var, centre halves scoring screamers etc but sometimes the fit just doesn’t feel quite right and it’s best for everyone to move on

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I'm sure that's a genuine take on things from your POV. But I sort of lost faith when I got to the bit about Hibs having some sort of 'superiority complex'

Of all the things you could accuse this club or it's supporters of over the years I've been supporting it, having a 'superiority complex' certainly isn't one of them. All you have to do to get shot down on this site is suggest we are better than other clubs and deserve better than them simply because we are Hibs.

Saying we should do better given our si2e as a club in Scotland is reasonable, but hardly hints at a 'superiority complex'

Yes we think our team should play attractive football, but what club's fans don't? 90% of us would sacrifice that for a few cup wins and a place in a Euro group stage.

We are not Hearts, who think 3 trophies and as many relegations in 60 years qualifies us as 'famous'
    ok, I hear you, but I was talking about the team not the support. I stand by the accusation of a superiority complex from the club and team, it seems engrained to me rightly or wrongly.

Too many times over the years have I witnessed a “cannot be bothered and lethargic” attitude and performance when playing teams deemed to be not up to our quality, be it in the premier or lower divisions, or in the cup. It happens under all managers, so they are not the root of the problem.

It cannot be a coincidence that we keep doing this over and over, there has to be something in the organisations DNA somewhere, making us act this way. The last two games are classic examples. Sorry, but it is just not good enough and it has to change.

Hibs must be: harder , faster , stronger both physically and emotionally.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNor View Post
    For the past three years this club has tried to be too smart. It looked down its nose at the Scottish game, thinking that signing young players from the continent and hiring rookie managers/those with no real experience of Scottish football would get us results

Whether people like it or not, our last taste of consistent success was under Jack Ross, a man who knew Scottish football inside out. Ever since his untimely and extremely harsh dismissal we have been utterly dreadful. His sacking (when it happened) was the wrong decision. Since then those wrong decisions have continued to the point where we can’t break the cycle. That is why Ben Kensell has to go and we need a complete refresh.

I worry that Black Knights have a deal with Kensell that will see him here for a long time to come. This man will drag us down further, mark my words. We haven’t hit rock bottom just yet.

Some of the things I have heard about his stewardship of the club in the last 24 hours. His treatment of certain players and clauses in their deals…
    Re your last sentence, are you able to elobarate?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I just can’t help but think how many chances we miss/should score from compared to other teams.

Even things that aren’t particularly poor defensively from us, we instantly get punished.

Yesterday is the prime example, their centre half half volleyed a shot and scored an absolute screamer. When would our centre half ever strike a ball that luckily,

I don’t know what it is, because we should have so many more points.

Some of it I struggle to blame Montgomery for and think “if he does this “ we’ll be ok and improve, the other half thinks it’s just not worked. Hes been unlucky with a few things - var, centre halves scoring screamers etc but sometimes the fit just doesn’t feel quite right and it’s best for everyone to move on
    A post earlier showed the number of times we lost goals in 'time added on'. It amounted to 10 points' which is pretty staggering and not only down to individual mistakes, even though the common theme on here is that there must be fault when conceding a goal (but the opposition are never at fault when we score).

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The formula for sustained success in football is easy. Spend more than your rivals on players wages.
    The more you do this by, the more success you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We are currently disproving your theory spectacularly.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/who-is-the-highest-paid-scottish-premiership-player-in-2024-richest-players-that-dont-play-for-rangers-or-celtic-4552350

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    A post earlier showed the number of times we lost goals in 'time added on'. It amounted to 10 points' which is pretty staggering and not only down to individual mistakes, even though the common theme on here is that there must be fault when conceding a goal (but the opposition are never at fault when we score).
    Yep, we could pick holes in our defending for the equaliser yesterday but at the end of the day the boy scored an absolute screamer.

Let look at Kilmarnock this year:

no fuss, no fanfare.

hard work , good team spirit.

my impression of them from a distance is of a well drilled, fighting unit, that keep going and are street smart. Not words I would associate with Hibs this season.

sure macinnes has helped, but it is not all down to him.

they might do better, they might do worse next year, but my money is on seeing them in the top 6 easily, so that leaves us to be 1 of the remaining 2 after c,r,h,killie.

who will be our main rivals for that spot?

-Aberdeen? Probably, they will be an entirley different proposition next season.
    -Dundee utd will be there or there abouts.
    - st mirren/Motherwell ? Solid teams.

I think all these teams will take strides forwards, so we need to adapt and grow a pair, sharpish.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Kidd 86’ View Post

no fuss, no fanfare.

my impression of them from a distance is of a well drilled, fighting unit, that keep going and are street smart. Not words I would associate with Hibs this season.

they might do better, they might do worse next year, but my money is on seeing them in the top 6 easily, so that leaves us to be 1 of the remaining 2 after c,r,h,killie.

-Aberdeen? Probably, they will be an entirley different proposition next season.

I think all these teams will take strides forwards, so we need to adapt and grow a pair, sharpish.

You’re right about killie, but look at their recruitment.

Lewis Mayo - An absolute no brainer and very good defender
    Stuart Findlay - left sided experienced centre half who has quality and knows the league
    Matthew Kennedy - is he good enough to start every week? Is he better than Tavares? Yes.
    Vassel - leader up top and a right handful. Watkins also similar and then to add to it they bring in Van Veen.

They then introduced Watson who is brilliant.

They’ve got a style of play which suits the league perfectly and players that can do both sides of the game.

Their flair players in Kennedy and Armstrong are more than capable of song a shift defensively and often play as wing backs.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

no fuss, no fanfare.

Only the DOF and McInnes choose the players to recruit, not like the circus we have

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/who-is-the-highest-paid-scottish-premiership-player-in-2024-richest-players-that-dont-play-for-rangers-or-celtic-4552350
    And if that's even near what we are paying for ALF that's absolutely madness on our part.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    You’re right about killie, but look at their recruitment.

Lewis Mayo - An absolute no brainer and very good defender
    Stuart Findlay - left sided experienced centre half who has quality and knows the league
    Matthew Kennedy - is he good enough to start every week? Is he better than Tavares? Yes.
    Vassel - leader up top and a right handful. Watkins also similar and then to add to it they bring in Van Veen.

They then introduced Watson who is brilliant.

They’ve got a style of play which suits the league perfectly and players that can do both sides of the game.

Their flair players in Kennedy and Armstrong are more than capable of song a shift defensively and often play as wing backs.
    agreed, but to be able to do this they have to have the correct ethos embedded into the whole set up, i would say that ethos was- do not give up, fight, nothing is handed down for free.

I do not want to be a doom monger, and I really do think we will get there, but not until we sharpen up and stop arsing about. think back to THAT st mirren game, they tore us a new one with ease because we were lethargic and they were on it for the whole 90mins. Not good enough. They obviously did their homework. When was the last time you watched Hibs and thought “wow, we have really sat down and come up with a plan to beat the other team AND we are implementing it”

agreed, but to be able to do this they have to have the correct ethos embedded into the whole set up, i would say that ethos was- do not give up, fight, nothing is handed down for free.

I do not want to be a doom monger, and I really do think we will get there, but not until we sharpen up and stop arsing about. think back to THAT st mirren game, they tore us a new one with ease because we were lethargic and they were on it for the whole 90mins. Not good enough. They obviously did their homework. When was the last time you watched Hibs and thought “wow, we have really sat down and come up with a plan to beat the other team AND we are implementing it”
    David Gray.

Pittodrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    We do this but it's not working. How many Kilmarnock, St Mirren or Dundee players, are on the money some of our players earn?
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Unless your Hibs. Pioneering approach of bucking that trend as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...celtic-4552350
    There may be some variation from year to year but I bet we probably perform about 5th best in Scotland in terms of average league position which is in line with our budget.
    You can buck the trend short term but long term budget is everything in football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    We do this but it's not working. How many Kilmarnock, St Mirren or Dundee players, are on the money some of our players earn?
    You need to spend it wisely. Effective teams invariable have

1. a strong backbone, from keeper through mid to striker
    2. a minimum of 1 or 2 leaders who set the standard and example for others
    3. a balance of skilled players, enforcers and solid pros.

Looking at this Hibs squad, we have a poor keeper, weak midfield and misfiring striker force. We have NO leaders on the field - at least none you'd say were able to set example and pull the rest up when games weer tough. We have zero enforcers and our backline are far from solid. All Hibs appear to have are a small number of individual skilled players with little else. It's the kind of squad that needs relegation to reset, just as Stubbs did back in 14/15. Hopefully the Foley cash injection, and Bournemouth link will allow our new manager to have a complete clearcut of the deadwood and underachievers, and rebuild the squad over the summer in a planned way.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    You need to spend it wisely. Effective teams invariable have

1. a strong backbone, from keeper through mid to striker
    2. a minimum of 1 or 2 leaders who set the standard and example for others
    3. a balance of skilled players, enforcers and solid pros.

Looking at this Hibs squad, we have a poor keeper, weak midfield and misfiring striker force. We have NO leaders on the field - at least none you'd say were able to set example and pull the rest up when games weer tough. We have zero enforcers and our backline are far from solid. All Hibs appear to have are a small number of individual skilled players with little else. It's the kind of squad that needs relegation to reset, just as Stubbs did back in 14/15. Hopefully the Foley cash injection, and Bournemouth link will allow our new manager to have a complete clearcut of the deadwood and underachievers, and rebuild the squad over the summer in a planned way.
    agree with all of that, but I still say we need a change of over all club attitude.