hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This bit jumps out and sums up where we are perfectly.
    Basically saying we have the cheapest most crap version and no wonder why we are getting so many mistakes - alongside part time crap refs and it’s making the game a shambles.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Yep. Ok so the system technically failed but we all make judgements all the time on offsides without needing calibrated lines. Surely with this frozen image var is right to overrule the original decision. I think there would've been an even bigger outcry if this goal had been allowed to stand with this image available. They can't win sometimes really.

First Team Regular
    Even when VAR works as it's meant to (which is rarely), it sucks all the immediacy and excitement out of football. You think we've scored and then have to wait a few minutes to find out for sure. I hate it.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Musselbound View Post
    Yep. Ok so the system technically failed but we all make judgements all the time on offsides without needing calibrated lines. Surely with this frozen image var is right to overrule the original decision. I think there would've been an even bigger outcry if this goal had been allowed to stand with this image available. They can't win sometimes really.
    I think the point is that this image wasn't available at the time, the SFA are using it now to say they got it right.

VAR in Scotland should have been strangled at birth. The clubs themselves should have stood spoken out when the system was proposed, at its an abomination - allowing officials to basically make stuff up to achieve a certain outcome and use the so called VAR scrutiny and evidence to back it up. Now we hear thru Aberdeen’s efforts that VAR are indeed just guessing and choosing their own outcome without any basis I or evidence. This leaves officials open to accusations of corruption and indeed outside influences. From a fans perspective it is sucking the life out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Musselbound View Post

There’s a Livingston player that’s obscured by the Aberdeen 19 in that image, who is deeper than the livi player who the VAR line has been drawn against, so the image isn’t telling us anything about whether the decision was correct or not

Posted after RC away:-

And/or the standard of the system. I noticed the first VAR camera I'd been close to at the back of the stand at Ross County which got me thinking about the awful angles and the funky lines used in offside decisions (see Martin Boyle v Aberdeen).

It turns out 'VAR lite' (Scotland) operates with six to eight cameras (it is possible - somehow - to have compliant VAR with four cameras). To put that into context, the following quote is from 'inside FIFA' talking about the world cup.

"The video assistant referee team has access to 21 cameras in the Group Stage, Round of 16 and Match 63, of which one is super slow motion and one is ultra slow motion. For the Quarter Finals the VAR team has access to 22 cameras, of which one is super slow motion and three are ultra slow motion and for the Semi-Finals & the Final, they have access to 25 cameras, of which three are super slow motion and three are ultra slow motion."

Clubs voted for this and how to pay for it and the question that also arises is how they continue paying for it. Apparently you pay more depending on league position. Itd be interesting to know the terms of this deal and how the camera providers are tied into it. If youre a cash strapped Livingston, almost guaranteed to get relegated, the temptation to find bills you dont pay must be pretty large, plus youre probably passing on the system to AN other promoted team leading me to think the system must be rented. With clubs like Livvy and Ross County probably pretty near the breadline, it might not take much in costs changing to rethink the whole thing.

That aside, I also found this which is really interesting.

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/...ol/#principles

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Words fail me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    So bad it has been removed from IG. What was it?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    it's there

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    It was the Jambo on a radio phone in asking why Niemi wasn’t getting picked for Scotland, saying “he’s not finished he’s only 28.”

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    West Brom take a shot from range. Rotherham player standing in the dee handles it. Penalty given, even though the player is in the same spot he handled it when the referee walks past pointing to the spot.

The video is still there though, so not sure why you can't see it unless it is location restricted

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    There’s a Livingston player that’s obscured by the Aberdeen 19 in that image, who is deeper than the livi player who the VAR line has been drawn against, so the image isn’t telling us anything about whether the decision was correct or not
    They may get relegated but Livi are hide and seek champions. That image alone is a good reason to question VAR officials. If they can't even determine the deepest defender from a stills image they really need to get rid of teh whole system or at least bring in officials who have some vision

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    Words fail me.
    Surely that must be a ref not understanding the rules and thinking the D is inside the box. Not as bad a decision as the Jordan Forster offside at Tiny but it is up there

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    It was the Jambo on a radio phone in asking why Niemi wasn’t getting picked for Scotland, saying “he’s not finished he’s only 28.”
    Talksport classic 👍

VAR seems to work for The Rangers noticed the ref on Sunday was shown the same angle to convince him there was contact. I watch ref watch every week and Gallagher will say one week although contact was made there was not enough to make the player go down then other weeks will say the same type of incident is a penalty as contact was made. There are 4 people in the stadium who have input into decisions and at least 2 in the VAR room.
    I am sick of the inconsistencies with VAR.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    VAR seems to work for The Rangers noticed the ref on Sunday was shown the same angle to convince him there was contact. I watch ref watch every week and Gallagher will say one week although contact was made there was not enough to make the player go down then other weeks will say the same type of incident is a penalty as contact was made. There are 4 people in the stadium who have input into decisions and at least 2 in the VAR room.
    Rangers been awarded 9 penalties after going to var
    We must have the most shafted by var statistics in the league as can only think of a handful of decisions in our favour.
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Yes think Gallagher is a bit of a clown to be honest. Assuming the Scottish show with Stuart Dougal has been binned.

Testimonial Due FastEddieFelson's Avatar
    it seems to be widely assumed that VAR is here to stay in Scotland and will never leave. why is this, exactly? surely if there's enough clubs and fans of clubs that express their dissatisfaction with the whole setup, there's a chance things might change?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by FastEddieFelson View Post
    it seems to be widely assumed that VAR is here to stay in Scotland and will never leave. why is this, exactly? surely if there's enough clubs and fans of clubs that express their dissatisfaction with the whole setup, there's a chance things might change?
    I think it would affect our ability to play in Europe where VAR is used.
    So the Uglies are unlikely to vote for its removal, they will moan about it, but they know it seems to almost always err in their favour????

In other leagues they have 4 or 5 angles, in Scotland we don't, it's amateur and that's the problem. VAR has ruined Scots Football know quite a few folk gone totally off the game now.
    Last edited by LunasBoots; 12-04-2024 at 04:34 PM.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    I think it would affect our ability to play in Europe where VAR is used.
    So the Uglies are unlikely to vote for its removal, they will moan about it, but they know it seems to almost always err in their favour????
    Sweden doesn’t use var and it doesn’t impact their European entries

I'd rather see VAR scrapped altogether though wouldn't mind seeing Scottish football go down this route. The thought of sending Beaton , Walsh and a few others to somewhere like Kazakhstan is also appealing
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68797201

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    I'd rather see VAR scrapped altogether though wouldn't mind seeing Scottish football go down this route. The thought of sending Beaton , Walsh and a few others to somewhere like Kazakhstan is also appealing
    Would not stop with the var ref's, but bring in foreign refs for most top flight Scottish games, then see what the stats with the huns and the smelic turn out like. Good on the Turks (can I still call then this without the thought police intervening?)

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    With our pompous arrogant referees? You'd just see more of them sticking with the on field decision if asked to come over to the monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Enolam View Post
    VAR is a travesty of implementing the laws of the game and it's making watching football less enjoyable. Like Mrs Doyle's tea-making machine, if someone put a spanner in it I'd be very happy. Give me a normal cup of tea, with all its flaws, any day.
    This is a perfect post, both in intent and use of analogy. Well done sir.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I know we have a few Boxing fans in the house…

what do folks make of this…
    AI used to score points for boxing.

Imagine the rules applied without bias, refs or incompetent VAR officials.
    it’s the system - computer says yes or no.

what say ye all?

https://youtu.be/3kQhwu5AMu8?si=nn5Rsykzx5ip4kfx
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    I know we have a few Boxing fans in the house…

what do folks make of this…
    AI used to score points for boxing.

Imagine the rules applied without bias, refs or incompetent VAR officials.
    it’s the system - computer says yes or no.

what say ye all?

https://youtu.be/3kQhwu5AMu8?si=nn5Rsykzx5ip4kfx
    No. I said it before VAR was implemented - football being down to split second decisions in the moment was the best we had. No goals being checked to see if a toenail was offside, just the jubilation of that in a moment. Bad decision? Go into the pub after and complain about how you think the ref was biased, rather than have VAR confirm that the whole system is fundamentally wrong.

VAR fixes mistakes, it exacerbates bias. We tried to fix the wrong problem.

It's not a failure of the technology itself. It's the failure of the clowns to use it properly, which is entirely intentional in my opinion. They don't want their cheating to be repeatedly highlighted, so getting it ditched allows them to go back to their old methods of cheating where we all have a wee whinge and a moan about it, but ultimately nothing is done about it. They'll favour The Rangers with VAR, they'll favour The Rangers without VAR. Only difference is they can say they no longer have VAR available to review their decisions, allowing them to go back to gaslighting people with the "honest mistake" crap.