hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Swedish league don’t use VAR, so there’s president for not using.

I’d scrap it and use the money to fund full time refs
    They get paid plenty already.

I’ve yet to see any argument that convinces me we’d get better refereeing by making them full time.

They already know the rules, and they don’t have to be super fit.

What would they be doing with their paid time outside refereeing the games? Re-reading the rules?

It wouldn’t change a single thing with regards to what teams get preferential treatment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    La Motta's list is not remotely close to all the crap calls we have had. I'm willing to bet good money that the rangers gripe list will be minuscule by comparison.

Still, incompetence eh.
    I think it's pretty evident that it's not incompetence. That's not to say that every mistake is corrupt, so the fact Aberdeen can point to a significant decision against them doesn't mean that there's not an issue with bias elsewhere.

Referees make mistakes, and because of this every club will have some evidence of decisions going against them. The volume and inexplicable decisions that have gone against us have rightly got noses twitching about how we're treated.

The fact that there's clear evidence of a strong bias towards Rangers strengthens the theory that teams are refereed differently.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    What difference would full time corrupt refs make to our game?
    Who would want to be a full time ref? The likes of Clancy wouldn't. Guys a solicitor and gets £1k for a Saturday job. Would not be worth his while to go full time.

It's abundantly clear they know what side their sfa/spfl bread is buttered. And it's two specific Glasgow postcodes

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Splitter.
    No, no, no. Come on. Do it properly!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    They are told not to flag if they aren’t sure
    They're told not to flag until the move ends.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

there would seem to be good argument to pause the use of VAR next season to undertake a thorough review of the errors and positives so far. the groundswell appears to be that the majority of clubs are unhappy so why push on with something that is error laden.

it does mean though that with the same refs in the same system we're unlikely to see a change in the bias that clearly exists, and we weren't happy with that either before VAR or with it!

so what is the answer to improve standards and fairness? ex players? can you imagine an ex rangers player refereeing a Hibs game at easter road??

@hibs.net private member
    The whole idea of VAR is good, it's just the implementation of it here and elsewhere that makes it look like a bad idea.

And I've said this before elsewhere on here but who on earth would be a ref in Scotland. The much easier thing to do is to give the dodgy decision to either side of the Old Firm thereby saving on having to get new glass in your windows or worse

VAR is a travesty of implementing the laws of the game and it's making watching football less enjoyable. Like Mrs Doyle's tea-making machine, if someone put a spanner in it I'd be very happy. Give me a normal cup of tea, with all its flaws, any day.

I’m embarrassed about how enthusiastic I was about VAR. I reasoned, at the time, that it could only improve the standards of refereeing. I thought those benefits would outweigh the problems with the match experience. It’s clearly not fit for purpose. It doesn’t work and it will never work in Scotland. It’s total ***** and the sooner we write off this failed experiment the better.

I was all for VAR as well - the ability to be accurate with decisions seemed a no brainer

However it is human nature to remember / highlight the bad news over the good news - I have a feeling we would maybe miss it if it was gone bit I could be totally wrong as it has gone so much worse than I imagined

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone uttering surprise that Scottish VAR and those implementing it have been a half baked joke from day 1 hasn't been paying attention for the last 30 or more years.

It was always "clear and obvious" that VAR wouldn't improve things overall for more than 2 teams.
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 11-04-2024 at 05:03 AM.

I've been against it since before it got here, but then I am always right about everything 🤣🤣.

I couldn't read more than a few lines of Aberdeen's statement. Boyle goal and Vente pen in the semi, volleyball at Pittodrie. They've done alright out of VAR this season. If they're calling out the system though, good on them. Clubs really need to get together on this and it could be a watershed moment.

I've been to a few lower league games this season. It's great to watch football just doing its stuff. We need to get back to that.
    Last edited by Glory Lurker; 11-04-2024 at 06:04 AM.

A lot of clubs are calling things out more it seems to me, well done Aberdeen.

Motherwell started the bar rolling by calling out VAR and Aberdeen following suit is great news and the more the merrier.

A cheap system implemented to early with untrained officials and an inherent bias completely undermines what was very good intentions but something that has failed miserably.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    It's hilarious that they're choosing the most recent example of the weekend to make their statement. VAR maybe failed, but he was offside.

It would read less like sour grapes had they not been correctly pulled back by VAR.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    It's hilarious that they're choosing the most recent example of the weekend to make their statement. VAR maybe failed, but he was offside.

It would read less like sour grapes had they not been correctly pulled back by VAR.
    I've no idea how you can tell he's offside?

The angle the picture is taken from makes it nigh on impossible to known given the perspective

He "looks" off side the same way the Japan goal at the WC looked out the pitch

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

This bit jumps out and sums up where we are perfectly.

What this situation demonstrates, in our opinion, is that the version of VAR that Scottish football has, or more accurately, can afford, is not suitable for the purpose in which it is intended. It perfectly highlights the limitations in the technology, the inappropriate implementation, the consistency of decision-making, and the negative impact on the overall experience for the match-going supporter.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Good statement from Aberdeen and at least they acknowledge they've had VAR go in their favour a few times. Wish it did for us!

No sympathy for the Dons fans however who were p!ssing themselves laughing, saying how brilliant VAR was when Boyle's goal was chalked off in the League Cup Semi.

I don't hold a grudge......normally!

I doubt many will remember, but after our cup semi final against Aberdeen I posted on here about the var offside decision we got against us and the information I received from a trusted source.

He said that the camera’s weren’t calibrated properly and that those in VAR took so long as they had to draw the lines on themselves and essentially guess.

I trusted him completely with what he said due to who he is, this statement and decision entirely backs that up.

It’s an absolute shambles and a disgrace.

Guess work is costing clubs thousands and people their jobs.

It’s all ‘if’s, buts and maybes’ but say we win that and get into the cup final, who knows what happens.

Aberdeen should have won Saturday which would have gave them a chance of top 6 and European football. Not getting the win still has them in reach of the play off position.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Aberdeen should have won Saturday which would have gave them a chance of top 6 and European football. Not getting the win still has them in reach of the play off position.
    When you put it like that 😁😁

Quote Originally Posted by pepe View Post
    It’s like that try Scotland didn’t get against France, the ref asked if they could prove the ball was grounded, Video refs said “not conclusive" on field decision stands. What are our refs doing? Pathetic
    Exactly. Rugby is light years ahead in this area - same with the handling of head injuries. And it was all totally transparent, crowd aware of the discussions, viewing the same pictures as the TMO. Cricket also the same. Football has a long way to go but it seems determined to remain secretive and leave the paying customers in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I doubt many will remember, but after our cup semi final against Aberdeen I posted on here about the var offside decision we got against us and the information I received from a trusted source.

He said that the camera’s weren’t calibrated properly and that those in VAR took so long as they had to draw the lines on themselves and essentially guess.

I trusted him completely with what he said due to who he is, this statement and decision entirely backs that up.

It’s an absolute shambles and a disgrace.

Guess work is costing clubs thousands and people their jobs.

It’s all ‘if’s, buts and maybes’ but say we win that and get into the cup final, who knows what happens.

That cost us a split of a full Hampden capacity.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    I've no idea how you can tell he's offside?

The angle the picture is taken from makes it nigh on impossible to known given the perspective

He "looks" off side the same way the Japan goal at the WC looked out the pitch

I mean, it looks pretty clear cut: https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ys-scottish-fa
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Wonder under the current officials we have in charge of VAR does anyone think it will still come good ? , who wants rid of it permanently ? . And who would want put it on the back burner till we have better officials in charge of it ? . Make a interesting poll to see folks views on it I think .

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Yep, hadn't seen the retrospective image - not that I'd entirely trust them to fess up fully

Interestingly there's a livi player in the middle there that's almost fully obscured- I assume they are going from his feet but how do they know his shoulder isn't the place to go from?

One of the limitations of us having one 1990s style camcorder and trying to judge millimeters I guess

@hibs.net private member
    Remember it’s not the number 19 that the offside is given against, it’s the player closest to the camera (27??) and they have drawn the line against the wrong Livi player, it should be the one in front of the Aberdeen 19, who you can’t see properly (Dan Mackay I think)

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Outsource VAR to an independent company, viewed by officials who know what they are doing and are not influenced by allegiances to Scottish teams. Pay FA refs to do the work. It may cost more, but it would hopefully get decisions right. They don’t have to be based in Scotland. And get them to move the Tynecastle monitor, that sums up everything that is wrong with VAR in Scotland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    It will never work in Scotland until it's outsourced to a different country. Our officials are corrupt and biased in favour of two teams, one team especially.

So for me it needs binned until such times as a non biased corrupt way of implimenting it is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Yep, hadn't seen the retrospective image - not that I'd entirely trust them to fess up fully

Interestingly there's a livi player in the middle there that's almost fully obscured- I assume they are going from his feet but how do they know his shoulder isn't the place to go from?

One of the limitations of us having one 1990s style camcorder and trying to judge millimeters I guess

I think they mentioned something about Dan Mackay’s positioning. He’s probably the hidden man.

The difference in standards between Scotland and the rest of the world was clear to see in the Man City v Real Madrid game the other night. 3 goals in the 1st 15mins, 1st goal coming in 2 minutes. No noticeable lag in proceedings due to VAR. If this was in Scotland we'd still be be checking the Ist goal when the match was 15 minutes in and they'd still probably get it wrong 😂