hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.afc.co.uk/2024/04/10/club-statement-video-assistant-referees/
    Aberdeens gained so much from VAR shockrd they are complaining.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Class statement from Aberdeen. Spot on.

The only issue about sticking with the on field decision is I think they don't make them any more. Aye The linesman didn't flag, probably cause he's thinking if I'm wrong VAR will correct it anyway. Totally wrong way to go about it, they should still be making the decisions, I just honestly don't think they’re doing that.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Class statement from Aberdeen. Spot on.

The only issue about sticking with the on field decision is I think they don't make them any more. Aye The linesman didn't flag, probably cause he's thinking if I'm wrong VAR will correct it anyway. Totally wrong way to go about it, they should still be making the decisions, I just honestly don't think they’re doing that.
    They are told not to flag if they aren’t sure

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    Aberdeens gained so much from VAR shockrd they are complaining.
    Whether or not they've gained isn't the point, the system isn't working in Scotland and needs to be re-thought out or binned. Preferably the latter.

I hadn't fully appreciated the benefit of the late flag until ironically we scored at Pittodrie. Joe Newell was flagged offside after we scored our second goal. VAR corrected it. If an early flag had gone up that time we might not have scored at all. Can be frustrating but I changed my thinking on it, conveniently, that day 😁

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    There has to come a point when we have to admit defeat and accept that VAR is simply a resource that is beyond our capabilities in Scotland to operate in the manner intended.

Maybe with full time referees the skill sets to operate VAR can present themselves to an acceptable level to manage the resource, but we’re putting it in the hands of part-time amateurs. It’s certain to fail in such circumstances.

We need to take a break from it for a season at least, and only return when we know we can be trusted with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    There has to come a point when we have to admit defeat and accept that VAR is simply a resource that is beyond our capabilities in Scotland to operate in the manner intended.

Maybe with full time referees the skill sets to operate VAR can present themselves to an acceptable level to manage the resource, but we’re putting it in the hands of part-time amateurs. It’s certain to fail in such circumstances.

We need to take a break from it for a season at least, and only return when we know we can be trusted with it.
    Totally agree you would be struggling to get a handful of decent refs in Scotland yet var gives loads of them var jobs for guys like Andrew Dallas who was a horrific ref and now gets to adjudicate on some of the biggest games. Absolute gravy train for these guys.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post

They are part-time professionals earning a very handsome sum for making themselves look stupid and corrupt.

I agree with the rest of it though. I thought VAR would prove refs to be corrupt and they would eventually stop and just ref games straight up. I was right about the first part imo but they seem to have no shame so there is little point continuing with this failed experiment. We may are well have corrupt referees and save a few quid.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Totally agree you would be struggling to get a handful of decent refs in Scotland yet var gives loads of them var jobs for guys like Andrew Dallas who was a horrific ref and now gets to adjudicate on some of the biggest games. Absolute gravy train for these guys.

Andrew dallas wonder how he got the gig

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    They are told not to flag if they aren’t sure
    Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    I hadn't fully appreciated the benefit of the late flag until ironically we scored at Pittodrie. Joe Newell was flagged offside after we scored our second goal. VAR corrected it. If an early flag had gone up that time we might not have scored at all. Can be frustrating but I changed my thinking on it, conveniently, that day 😁

The only logical thing to do is keep the flag down until the passage of play has finished.

This is a great statement from Aberdeen. Hibs have had reason to ask for VAR narrative reviews on countless occasions due to the utter incompetence of the decision making, quickly off the top of my head and I know there will be more:

• Marshall smashed into the goal at Ross County - no foul goal allowed
    • Duk Dive at Pittodrie - penalty to Aberdeen
    • Rangers defender handball in box at Ibrox - no pen
    • Jeggo incorrectly sent off at St Johnstone
    • Vente clearly fouled for his own goal at Killie
    • Boyle offside goal at Hampden v Dons
    • Hearts Penalty decision at Tynie when Vargas dived
    • Marcondes pulled back v Huns in box - no pen
    • Marcondes smashed by keeper v ST Johnstone in box - no penalty

I wonder of we ever requested to hear audio of any of this?? It would be fascinating to hear all of them.

Does this add weight to the corruption argument or the incompetence argument ?

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This is a great statement from Aberdeen. Hibs have had reason to ask for VAR narrative reviews on countless occasions due to the utter incompetence of the decision making, quickly off the top of my head and I know there will be more:

I wonder of we ever requested to hear audio of any of this?? It would be fascinating to hear all of them.
    Blatant hand ball at Pittodrie as well, not even looked at, let's just scrap this VAR joke now, I'm sure if the majority of Scottish football fans were asked they would vote to scrap it. For me VAR has sucked the life and enjoyment out of the game and it's just created endless arguments, not worth the hassle!

Quote Originally Posted by leith lynx View Post
    Blatant hand ball at Pittodrie as well, not even looked at, let's just scrap this VAR joke now, I'm sure if the majority of Scottish football fans were asked they would vote to scrap it. For me VAR has sucked the life and enjoyment out of the game and it's just created endless arguments, not worth the hassle!
    The fact I've forgotten probably the most blatant of the lot shows how many there has been. Boyle boked for diving v Celtic when he was impeded another...

The thing is I would probably accept the downsides ( delays in games, unable to celebrate goals properly, celebrating then having to face the disappointment of a goal ruled out etc etc) if it was getting things right for us and benefitting us. Its done the exact opposite so it makes you even angrier and more perplexed than when we got shafted pre var - at least you could rationalise it then as officials had only one look at things.

@hibs.net private member
    There is no going back with VAR. It's here to stay across the game. Scotland would look like even more of a backwater if we decide it's too hard and just bin it.

It can and does work much better in other places.

What VAR has at least done is unite pretty much all of Scottish football in seeing how terrible our officiating is.

That needs to be harnessed to see some genuine changes made. Just getting rid of VAR addresses literally none of the long running problems in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post

We definitely should have. The discussion between Clancy and Muir in the derby would have been interesting

Wonder what the new Aberdeen manager will make of VAR in Scotland .
    https://www.aberdeenlive.news/sport/...t-date-9217786

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    There is no going back with VAR. It's here to stay across the game. Scotland would look like even more of a backwater if we decide it's too hard and just bin it.

What VAR has at least done is unite pretty much all of Scottish football in seeing how terrible our officiating is.

That needs to be harnessed to see some genuine changes made. Just getting rid of VAR addresses literally none of the long running problems in the game.
    The Swedish league don’t use VAR, so there’s president for not using.

I’d scrap it and use the money to fund full time refs

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post
    The Swedish league don’t use VAR, so there’s president for not using.

I’d scrap it and use the money to fund full time refs
    What difference would full time corrupt refs make to our game?

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Being full time they would surely need to be accountable, they could open up the pool to foreign refs looking for jobs. With a bit of luck the current bunch wouldn’t want to leave their cushty jobs to become a full time ref.

@hibs.net private member ElginHibee's Avatar
    I'm sure I read that refs are paid handsomely for their side gig. They should be made available to the press to explain the decisions made during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Does this add weight to the corruption argument or the incompetence argument ?
    La Motta's list is not remotely close to all the crap calls we have had. I'm willing to bet good money that the rangers gripe list will be minuscule by comparison.

Still, incompetence eh.

Quote Originally Posted by ElginHibee View Post
    I'm sure I read that refs are paid handsomely for their side gig. They should be made available to the press to explain the decisions made during the game.
    They won’t want to do that it would mean they were accountable in some way

First Team Regular Basildon Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I never thought for one minute that in Scotland VAR would be good for anyone other than the usual two beneficiaries of everything in Scottish football. Sadly uts even worse than I thought it would be. The referees, linesmen and VAR officials are pretty much all incompetent and some are downright cheats and quite a few are both
    I predicted that it would only benefit the Uglies, too.

Correct. We'd still have corrupt refs - full-time or part-time. It makes no difference, they'll still be corrupt and incompetent.

I'd be opposed to referees going full time for the simple reason that they would want more money to compensate for giving up their day jobs. Right now they get both a regular salary from their main job and a fat fee for being incompetent once a week.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

👍👊

You cant just guess, it's so amateurish you couldnt make this up to look worse.

VAR is a shambles in Scotland, from not having the proper system, to bent ref's either making it up as they go along, or those in a hut in larkhall making sure the obvious teams get everything, it needs binned until such times as its installed properly and farmed out to professionals in another country who are not biased.
    Don't forget having the VAR monitor in amongst the baying mob at tynecastle, that's just mental. OK, not a VAR issue as such, but someone OK'd that perverse location.

Remember the higher up in the league you finish the more you pay for VAR “lite”.

Scotland has the cheap version- less cameras and worse technology.

Add in the incompetent officials and it’s actually less enjoyable going to games as you have no idea what the decision the officials will come up with.