hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Cabbage Kid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maks Boruc is shipping a ton of goals at arbroath. im not confident he is good enough to play for hibs.
    That was my worry, although Arbroath aren't exactly the best side going either so I can imagine it's not all down to him.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    The plan was to bring in a new number 1 this summer. I can’t in any way see that Marshall has done enough this season to change their thinking on that.
    I think you're right, my point was more on whether Marsh would be an affordable number 2 for one more year or do we need to sign two new goalies to facilitate the loan of Johnson.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post

I think you're right, my point was more on whether Marsh would be an affordable number 2 for one more year or do we need to sign two new goalies to facilitate the loan of Johnson.
    Our sub keeper should be some journeyman on loan, or Boruc.

Rarely needs to be used, and it makes nae sense to waste wages on keeping Marshall if he's going to be on a first choice players wages.

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    That was my worry, although Arbroath aren't exactly the best side going either so I can imagine it's not all down to him.

i havent watched any of the arbroath games so cant comment on who's fault it is but doesnt look good. certainly a big communication problem is anything

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

Rarely needs to be used, and it makes nae sense to waste wages on keeping Marshall if he's going to be on a first choice players wages.
    I think it would probably hard to get a journeyman to come on loan to sit on the bench all season. Ageing sub goalies are very much interested in maintaining their lifestyle with things like being able to not have to move house or the kids to a different school for example. It's why I could see us keeping Marshall as I can imagine its a nice year with a wage while he finishes whatever prep he does for after football I assume after next season is finished.

It's why you have guys like Bain/McLauchlin/Gordon as the back ups at the Old Firm and Hearts. It's a cushty number if it all works out for you.

First Team Breakthrough
    If we have a budget of a few million for next year, I'd be totally disappointed in signing some of the players being suggested IMHO.

i havent watched any of the arbroath games so cant comment on who's fault it is but doesnt look good. certainly a big communication problem is anything
    Arbroath were always likely to get relegated. They're not good and were lucky to stay up last season. Due to what's playing in front of him, Boruc is getting plenty practice, which is good for him and Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Newell was at fault for the first goal for me .
    He was, but when he loses the ball in that position he can reasonably expect to cop an earful for being wasteful in a decent position - not for the ball being in our net a matter of seconds later and being the main culpable party in us losing a goal.

Having a Boruc or Johnson as our sub keeper that rarely needs to be used imo will only hinder their development . Good experience keeper that's coming to the end of his career I'd agree with.

As to other posts about Boruc he might not make it at us though at 21 which is very young and he has time to develop. As to him losing lots of goals at Arbroath even the experienced Gaston has too . 72 goals is alot to lose for any team no matter who the keeper is .

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Nah - it was our player who passed it to Newell who was at fault coz he placed Newell in a difficult position 🤭😂

First Team Regular
    What's wrong with Wollacott? Why are we writing him off already?

wouldnt mind seeing Kelly from Motherwell
    siegrist from celtic or
    Robbie mcrorie fi the rangers come in.
    maybe Mayo or Finlay from killie
    LB-Gallacher from St Js looks no bad
    Coburn from middlesbrough
    With that list of names you should never criticise Ian Gordon or the recruitment team again 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He was, but when he loses the ball in that position he can reasonably expect to cop an earful for being wasteful in a decent position - not for the ball being in our net a matter of seconds later and being the main culpable party in us losing a goal.
    I actually thought Newell had a pass on rather than trying to taking a extra touch and losing it . Once we did though you could tell we were in trouble. Maybe we were abit to gung-ho as a team overall though losing it when we did from what was a good attacking position so badly was poor . I'm sure Newell would have held his hands up to this though.
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 10-04-2024 at 11:51 AM.

Wonder will Josh Nisbet be on our radar . Clearly after Saturday we need to improve the midfield . Nisbet seems to play a few positions in midfield and is good on the ball .

https://aleagues.com.au/news/soccero...mcgree-irvine/

Another area needing strengthened if Lewy leaves is the LB position . It would be good to see a left back that provides abit more defensive cover as we have already an attacking one .

There's been too many crosses coming into our box this season from either side because of this .

Maybe Jacob Farrell could be another who we'll be interested in who Monty knows well .

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/12/1...rells-ceiling/
    Really hope we stay away from signing players from that league. We need people that are experienced in this league or higher.

The A league is a shocking standard and this has been proven by some of our recent signings from that league

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Marshall apparently being spoken to about extended deal for another 12 months

Sums up our policies etc rewarding abject performances
    Hope not, unless he’s backup

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    What's wrong with Wollacott? Why are we writing him off already?
    Looked really poor against County in the 2-2 home draw

wouldnt mind seeing Kelly from Motherwell
    siegrist from celtic or
    Robbie mcrorie fi the rangers come in.
    maybe Mayo or Finlay from killie
    LB-Gallacher from St Js looks no bad
    Coburn from middlesbrough
    Kelly has not had a great season but could rediscover form. Looks a couple of inches too short though. He’ll be a free agent but is the one Motherwell player on good wages.
    McCrorie has only played 7 first team games in 3 seasons. Will he finally get a chance at Ibrox if they cash in on Butland?
    Siegrist totally out of the picture at Celtic, which is a surprise since he was excellent at United. Has 2 years on contract. Possible loan?

Mitov looks decent - certainly played well on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    He's decent, had a really good season. Saints lucky to get him

Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance1875 View Post
    Really hope we stay away from signing players from that league. We need people that are experienced in this league or higher.

The A league is a shocking standard and this has been proven by some of our recent signings from that league
    We have had experienced players from our own league before like James Scott , Drey Wright , Euan Henderson who haven't worked out too .

As to what folk call poorer leagues , we got Sproule from institute . Roy Keane came from Cobh Ramblers, Viduka I think was at Melbourne Knights and Celtic signed Rogic from Monty's old team CCM .

Four players I'd take in a heartbeat back then .

I try to stay open minded about leagues as there's always a gem to be found in one or a dud in your own back door or vice versa of course .

Baccus from St Mirren, Rowes from Hearts, Devlin from Hearts, Atkinson from Hearts and Strain from St Mirren all from the A-League and would all walk into the Hibs starting 11. There are good players to be found in the A-League, just like any league, just a matter of finding them.

I’d imagine his stats are pretty good seeing as he’s basically only played in a pub league before Hibs.
    He is playing in a pub league with Hibs as well though 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    Sold the jerseys the previous week.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Sold the jerseys the previous week.
    Thought he was very lucky not to have conceded a penalty to us in all

Coaching Staff

Well, there’s a team unfortunately sitting in 3rd place who have a few of them, and St Mirren have a couple with A League experience.

As far as I am aware the only recent signings from A League clubs are Lewis Miller and Alfie…who are certainly not the worst going around.

It’s easy to ‘spot’ a player playing in an international match in front of 60’000 people, but unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to afford them in most cases.

Good recruitment is identifying players from perceived lower standard leagues who are, or will be, able to play at a higher standard.

Ps Don’t tell Aston Villa about John McGinn.

@hibs.net private member
    I actually thought Newell had a pass on rather than trying to taking a extra touch and losing it . Once we did though you could tell we were in trouble. Maybe we were abit to gung-ho as a team overall though losing it when we did from what was a good attacking position so badly was poor . I'm sure Newell would have held his hands up to this though.
    We were too light at the back with the SJ forward hanging around the halfway line. I'm no football manager but I mentioned this twice to my pal before the goal.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875M View Post
    Baccus from St Mirren, Rowes from Hearts, Devlin from Hearts, Atkinson from Hearts and Strain from St Mirren all from the A-League and would all walk into the Hibs starting 11. There are good players to be found in the A-League, just like any league, just a matter of finding them.
    Only Rowles from that list would walk into our team and even he hasn’t been brilliant this season

@hibs.net private member
    I think the fact that these guys are some of the most successful exports of the A-League speaks volumes.

It’s a league where at best you might get a semi solid player from. That’s about it.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Rocky was at fault for the St J first goal.
    Disagree,Joe newel lost the ball in the st,Johnstone area,and left the defence lagging behind,the player.could shift though.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    My jambo neighbour says Atkinson is dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    We were too light at the back with the SJ forward hanging around the halfway line. I'm no football manager but I mentioned this twice to my pal before the goal.
    Far too many players pushing forward while playing a high line was asking for trouble in fairness especially against a speedy forward.

Once we lost the ball we were unfortunately very vulnerable.

From a tactical point it was a poor goal for our team to lose .