hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foley Interview

Foley Interview

An extended interview with Foley on Sky Sports from 10am this morning.

Although it is all focused on Bournemouth it looks at the way he builds an organisation up to continually improve, year on year.
    Heavy focus on investing in infrastructure. New stadium lined up and we get to see the ongoing work at the training ground.

He sites infrastructure as key to growing the business and improving/ attracting the level of player required. He believes improving infrastructure was key in the success of his ice hockey franchise in the NHL.

He looks for gradual year on year improvement, nothing too dramatic but it's still mind-blowing to think that he's spent £200M on players in just 18 months.

Should be a good watch.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    What infrastructure do we have left to improve? Scratching my head a bit on that one.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    We could always argue that the performance of the wee figures dressed in green and white that run around chasing the round thing on the grassy bit in the middle are the most important part of the infrastructure of a football team as far as some customers (fans) are concerned?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What infrastructure do we have left to improve? Scratching my head a bit on that one.
    HTC definitely needs a few upgrades. It's running at full capacity, actually over capacity, and still has no full size indoor pitch.

I think many of us still think of it as being the 'new training centre' but it's the best part of 20 year old now. Whilst there has been a lot of work done there over the years it does need another push.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a drive to add more hospitality spaces into the stadium as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Indoor pitch was discussed at length for a while, thats the next step for the training centre I would say.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Any idea what channel/show that's on, i am guessing it's the football show.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    Any idea what channel/show that's on, i am guessing it's the football show.
    It’ll be Sky Sports News

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We're building an indoor facility at East Mains I believe

Full size indoor training pitch? We also need to rebuild and invest in our recruitment process.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post

Although it is all focused on Bournemouth it looks at the way he builds an organisation up to continually improve, year on year.
    Heavy focus on investing in infrastructure. New stadium lined up and we get to see the ongoing work at the training ground.

He sites infrastructure as key to growing the business and improving/ attracting the level of player required. He believes improving infrastructure was key in the success of his ice hockey franchise in the NHL.

He looks for gradual year on year improvement, nothing too dramatic but it's still mind-blowing to think that he's spent £200M on players in just 18 months.

Should be a good watch.
    Ahh, but we want improvement NOW! Plenty comments on all the threads about managers etc that we want someone who will "make an immediate impact", improve us "now". Reading the room, we don't want "gradual year on year improvement"-we're short-termist. We want it now. Not sure Foley's model will work here!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Full size indoor training pitch? We also need to rebuild and invest in our recruitment process.
    That’s it. I think there’s a misconception that infrastructure has to be bricks and mortar. That’s not directed at the person you were quoting by the way, I’ve no idea if that’s what they think.

I think investing in the best possible people and technologies will be included in the infrastructure spend Foley is talking about.

Worth remembering as well that Foley isn’t just guessing here, it’ll be based on advice from incredibly experienced and knowledgeable people.

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Our stadium is getting on now, does need a lot of upgrading, also population of Edinburgh is increase massively over next ten years, so gradual improvements in the stadium, increased investment in playing side, then we will see stadium capacity increased...

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post

Should be a good watch.
    Nothing been on Sky Sorts News yet.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Nothing been on Sky Sorts News yet.
    On the Sky Sports News Football Show from 11am.

https://x.com/markmcadamtv/status/1777630564868083755

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthven_raiders View Post
    Our stadium is getting on now, does need a lot of upgrading, also population of Edinburgh is increase massively over next ten years, so gradual improvements in the stadium, increased investment in playing side, then we will see stadium capacity increased...
    What’s the stage where stadium capacity increases are recommended? I have in my head it’s when your average hits 80% of capacity? We’d presumably be somewhere around that just now?

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    What’s the stage where stadium capacity increases are recommended? I have in my head it’s when your average hits 80% of capacity? We’d presumably be somewhere around that just now?
    It would be interesting to see what the route would be to increasing capacity. If the ticket office was to move to the FF I wonder if you could fill in the corner where it currently sits? Likewise with the car park between that and the east but logistically there isn't a lot of space to start removing things.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    It would be interesting to see what the route would be to increasing capacity. If the ticket office was to move to the FF I wonder if you could fill in the corner where it currently sits? Likewise with the car park between that and the east but logistically there isn't a lot of space to start removing things.
    Don’t think you can’t build in the NW corner without building over the existing road
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

All Bournemouth chat but what I liked was them learning from previous mistakes to try and get it right.

Success of the LVK shows it can be done. They want success with everything the do and will adopt similar strategy’s moving forward.

Best facilities and people and be a community/team rather than a group of individuals.

I hope I heard this correct.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Don’t think you can’t build in the NW corner without building over the existing road
    Yes very little space there.

First Team Breakthrough
    Comments on infrastructure would leave me concerned regarding the future of Easter Road. Americans love a stadium on the outskirts of a city/town...

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNor View Post
    Comments on infrastructure would leave me concerned regarding the future of Easter Road. Americans love a stadium on the outskirts of a city/town...
    The vast majority of stadiums moves to the outskirts in the UK have been done by British owners. Our previous owner was desperate to move us to the outskirts of the city at one time.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    spend between £1-2m upgrading hospitality at ER only to then sell it for housing ?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    There is zero need to increase capacity at present and there will likely be little need for a long time to come. The only time we come close to selling out these days is when we sell a sizeable area of the stadium to supporters of clubs we despise.

I’d much rather a smaller capacity ground that is full every week rather than rattling round in a ground far too big for our needs.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    There's not a chance we will move from ER in the next 100 years. We've spent £2m on hospitality with more to come, the whole stadium is less than 30 years old and there's more hospitality spending coming in the summer, plus the safe standing.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Perhaps for an NFL venue but if you look at Major League Soccer then there has been a real drive towards downtown soccer specific stadiums and they have been a roaring success.
    Only today have the American group that owns Birmingham City, of which Tom Brady is a partner, have earmarked a brownfield site a stones throw from the old ground for a new stadium rather than sites that were further out from the city and would have cost less to develope.

Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    Ahh, but we want improvement NOW! Plenty comments on all the threads about managers etc that we want someone who will "make an immediate impact", improve us "now". Reading the room, we don't want "gradual year on year improvement"-we're short-termist. We want it now. Not sure Foley's model will work here!
    Fans will just have to suck it up.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

It would help if we even stopped getting worse but that’s what’s currently happening. Neither wonder fans want immediate improvement whilst watching the likes of St Mirren, Dundee and Kilmarnock progressing faster with way fewer resources. It’s imperative we improve quickly.

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Woulybe limited in that corner, talk of a direct link from kitchens to hospitality in north stand, also media centre, don't thik that corner would be about increasing capacity, NE area, could increase capacity at that section, looking at roof of the stadium, I can see that being looked at when upgrading is made, it is 30 years old in north and South stand, 25 years old in west Stand, I'm sure west stand could have another tier but then you would have major rebuild, Inc better access stairs and lifts, so that won't be for a while yet. Need several years of success and selling out ground for that to happen.
    Last edited by ruthven_raiders; 09-04-2024 at 11:41 AM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    well then see relative boom-bust.

We need to get a hold of the systemic issues and change he culture - bizarre considering where we were in 2016.

Seems to me all the chat about culture and character of players - we had that - so weee trying in that sense to ge back to the future :)

When you look at the fall from grace of Man United it’s interesting to see how far and fast the fall from grace can be. It will be interesting to see post Pep the contrast between the Manchester clubs to see whether their apparent focus on continual improvement results in a better chance at sustainability (and less of a fall from grace) time will tell…
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.