hibs.net Messageboard

Watching Nick's tactics from the stand

First half on Saturday, we seemed to have only one plan.

Pass the ball to Obita who would try a series of 1-2s with Myziane. He's an excellent player Jordan, but I'm not sure what Nick expects in terms of creating goalscoring opportunities from the white line and corner flag.

I watched the same pattern over and over and by half-time felt that the St Johnstone defence were running on autopilot putting in an overload of defenders on that side. If it was predictable to us, Levein and St Johnstone, it must have been equally frustrating to Marcondes, Le Fondre and Boyle watching the game from the West Stand and not getting much of a sniff.

Mixed it up a bit second half but it's pretty clear that just like his predecessor, Montgomery's Plan A is play the ball up the touchlines. If it was carried out at pace, great, but our passes are mostly slow and predictable.

No matter how many corners we got, we didn't have any fresh ideas against a ten-man defence.

So few runs with the ball. So little central play. So little variety.

Not great to watch.

With so many good attackers on the pitch surely there are other tactical options?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I didn't go as I have lost patience with the style of play...the games I watched recently, clear as day that there is no leadership on the pitch...a clever team pass the ball across the pitch and look for one twos with the strikers...we rarely got to the byeline which annoyed me no end as that is the important key to many goals....I just don't think the current manager is astute tactically...

First Team Breakthrough
    This one demential style is his real issue, can't change it and fits players into it, all teams we play can neutralise this tactic by playing a flexible 5 at back,he had the team doing drills for scenarios we never get into last night passing around defenders in front of goal and shooting. Most attacks are as ponderous easily defended'crosses' from the left

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibstag View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This one demential style is his real issue, can't change it and fits players into it, all teams we play can neutralise this tactic by playing a flexible 5 at back,he had the team doing drills for scenarios we never get into last night passing around defenders in front of goal and shooting. Most attacks are as ponderous easily defended'crosses' from the left
    I was watching Crystal Palace at the weekend and their new manager who has won europa league and performed very well in champs league with a fairly unfancied team has done the same, came into the club with style of play and put players into it, even moving a CM to CB as he has an injury crisis there and prefers to play 3 at the back, I don’t think him sticking with his style is as much of an issue as is being made out, how does he change it now because some players can’t play it and then revert back once he’s got rid of those players without the players he’s keeping losing faith in what he’s doing

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Was sitting there on Saturday wondering if Monty is tactically naive or just thick starting without Youan and MWN in a must win game moving Triantis back to centre back leaving Hanlon on the bench taking off Alf after he almost scored goal of the season using great imagination and invention and bringing on the ineffective Jair ( not his fault )

Teams must love playing against us at Easter Road sooo predictable slow and toothless

Potter certainly could not hide his delight post match ‘ It all went to plan ‘

Anyway it is me who has renewed two ST’s so who is the daftie ?

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Was sitting there on Saturday wondering if Monty is tactically naive or just thick starting without Youan and MWN in a must win game moving Triantis back to centre back leaving Hanlon on the bench taking off Alf after he almost scored goal of the season using great imagination and invention and bringing on the ineffective Jair ( not his fault )

Teams must love playing against us at Easter Road sooo predictable slow and toothless

Yes, here’s another daftie, who renewed two STs - but before Saturday’s game. I’ve seen worse Hibs’ teams in over 70 years of following Hibs. However, the tactics in the first 20-30 minutes on Saturday were baffling. I was surprised how calm Boyle was in being deprived of the ball, as I said to my grandson at the time. I wanted Monty to succeed, but now I’m very worried. Glad he wasn’t the Monty who lead us into battle!

Levein held court after the match with his jambo buddy "Fat Brian" of the BBC and they knew they were up against a totally out of his depth naive imposter who is trying his best to learn on the job but who just panics and cant think on his feet.

Levein had that smug face all over his coupon as he knew that even with such limited resources they were in with a real chance as long as they held firm in the left wide positions as that was the only tactic.

How this guy got passed even the 1st interview is scandalous.

I often think Cadden and Boyle aren’t suited to playing on the same side.

Cadden plays very very high and whilst it’s a good out ball for us and he is good at it, I think it makes the game far too compact for Boyle.

It’s lessens the space for Boyle massively and means he has a lot more defenders around him making it difficult for us to get him on the ball.

We want Boyle in one on one positions, we rarely manage that and it’s rare now a days that he beats a man and gets to the byline where he works a cross.

I actually think Cadden /Maolida and Obita/Boyle are better style of fullbacks and winger - Caddens overlap would create space for Maolida to cut in where as Obita has the range of passing to pick out Boyle to run in behind. Obviously I just mean the styles of players and not suggesting playing Cadden at left back.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

I felt the only time when we got the ball moving with any urgency was when we equalised and then we went back to plodding along. It allowed St Johnstone to get numbers back.

This is all a bit disingenuous no? In previous games we've mixed up play, playing wide, through the middle and where there is the opportunity, long pass up/ across field maximizing our pace.

We've scored a number of excellent goals this season by breaking fast and loads of other opportunities not finished off. We didn't play long balls on Saturday as it was blowing a gale!

Our passing and intensity let us down but it wasn't all one dimensional. Maolida held the ball up well, looked to take guys on, there were attempts to play nice one touch passes involving ALF ...what we should have been doing is using Boyle/ youan to run at the defence, take more long shots and up the tempo at times but Monty's tactics aren't one dimensional...

As I've said to others there's excellent interviews with him on hibs observer that explain this...

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    This is all a bit disingenuous no? In previous games we've mixed up play, playing wide, through the middle and where there is the opportunity, long pass up/ across field maximizing our pace.

We've scored a number of excellent goals this season by breaking fast and loads of other opportunities not finished off. We didn't play long balls on Saturday as it was blowing a gale!

Our passing and intensity let us down but it wasn't all one dimensional. Maolida held the ball up well, looked to take guys on, there were attempts to play nice one touch passes involving ALF ...what we should have been doing is using Boyle/ youan to run at the defence, take more long shots and up the tempo at times but Monty's tactics aren't one dimensional...

As I've said to others there's excellent interviews with him on hibs observer that explain this...
    Some fair points here tbh.

What I don't get is that we're often slow and laboured for at least half an hour at the start of home games, the Livi game being an exception.

Some slow starts have turned into decent performances and results of late but the crap kept up almost unrelentingly at the weekend.

I get the point about the wind conditions but we looked like we needed to be a bit more direct on Saturday, go through the middle a bit more often either by running or passing the ball and when on occasion we did that during the second half we looked much more dangerous.

We've had some strange performances lately though where we've been very poor for spells but clicked into gear and played some really good stuff in places too.