hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Brian McDermott

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That sounds quite different from what Hibs announced. Another mess of an appointment if things play out the way that you anticipate.

Time will tell.
    Why is it a mess?

He’s done what he set out to do, bring in a good coach and improve the squad. Not his fault LJ pulled rank in the summer and filled the squad with the likes of Harbottle.

BMc and IG have supplemented the squad with quality in Jan. Myziane was a player who BMc had scouted for Arsenal a few years back. Emiliano would have been at Hibs in the summer if it was for BMc and better fitness.

He’s stabilised us which was what he came in for. Was never a long term appt I feel and certainly never took it as such when listening to him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    Why is it a mess?

He’s done what he set out to do, bring in a good coach and improve the squad. Not his fault LJ pulled rank in the summer and filled the squad with the likes of Harbottle.

BMc and IG have supplemented the squad with quality in Jan. Myziane was a player who BMc had scouted for Arsenal a few years back. Emiliano would have been at Hibs in the summer if it was for BMc and better fitness.

He’s stabilised us which was what he came in for. Was never a long term appt I feel and certainly never took it as such when listening to him.
    He’s certainly not done that. That appointment and the decision to ignore all the red flags and stick with him has knackerred this season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    He’s certainly not done that. That appointment and the decision to ignore all the red flags and stick with him has knackerred this season.
    We will continue to see marked improvement as he gets more of his own players in and the longer he works conclusively with Brian McDermott or whoever is in his place.

Why is it a mess?

Because a DOF is not a short term role. If he was coming in as a short term consultant then Hibs should have said so.

I don’t think we went through a lengthy process to recruit McDermott, to do the same thing 12 months later. He hasn’t achieved anything as it stands.

Of course this is all just speculation.

Blog Entries
    We will continue to see marked improvement as he gets more of his own players in and the longer he works conclusively with Brian McDermott or whoever is in his place.
    Continue? That’s incredible claim he’s not demonstrated a single thing to suggest he knows what he’s doing.

@hibs.net private member
    Continue? That’s incredible claim he’s not demonstrated a single thing to suggest he knows what he’s doing.
    I politely disagree however happy to amend and say we will see a marked improvement next season with Montgomery still at the helm.

Because a DOF is not a short term role. If he was coming in as a short term consultant then Hibs should have said so.

I don’t think we went through a lengthy process to recruit McDermott, to do the same thing 12 months later. He hasn’t achieved anything as it stands.

I mentioned earlier, from my own conversation with Brian, that I don't think he'll be here beyond the summer.

Everything Andrew mentions, in his post, was part of our conversation too.

I was shocked, because I also thought this was a long-term appointment.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    That wasn't in doubt. 😅

What appeared to be in doubt was your quip suggesting that critique of the Director of Football was the same as calling for his head. Its acknowledged that Montys tactics are baffling, easy for opposition managers to play against and he's inexperienced in this league.

But he's meant to be part of a bigger team of people running the football side of the club under Brian McDermott. Yet Nick and the players are the only ones being held accountable for our league position. Sometimes Kensall, sometimes Gordon (Neither of whom are involved in that side of the club now), but never McDermott.

I'm not gunning for the man, just trying to understand what he brings to the party.
    He’s not got anything to do with tactics. Why would he? FWIW I think our recruitment has been better since he’s been here, and any critique of his position should be put on the shelf.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

I agree, this is why I've tried to be clear when I say that when I don't know what McDermott does, it's nothing other than my ignorance and not a judgement on his work.

He's only been in role about a year, it shouldn't be a surprise that we've not seen tons of results linked to his work because it should mostly be stuff that takes time to bear fruit.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I agree, this is why I've tried to be clear when I say that when I don't know what McDermott does, it's nothing other than my ignorance and not a judgement on his work.

He's only been in role about a year, it shouldn't be a surprise that we've not seen tons of results linked to his work because it should mostly be stuff that takes time to bear fruit.
    Which is why I’m scratching my head - if true - at him moving on in a sense.
    In another sense being away from home for so long and apart from family is something that’s only sustainable for a period.
    I don’t think bottom 6 was part of the plan.
    Injuries and VAR have not been kind but thems the breaks.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Brian is a great character, dry but good to listen to.

What he doesn’t know about football isn’t worth knowing.
    He doesn’t seem to know how to make Hibs successful. That’s worth knowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Continue? Where has there been improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Why is it a mess?

There is a possibility that he was involved in a major error, hypothetically this would cost the club a lot money.

Maybe thats why he's been missing of late.

If this did happen, then he would be forced to leave the club.

Blog Entries
    I politely disagree however happy to amend and say we will see a marked improvement next season with Montgomery still at the helm.
    I fear he'll be doing it at a fairly empty stadium as i fear season ticket sales will be rotten if he's still in charge.

I? will pick you up on your 'continue' to see an improvement comment as he's made us worse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    He’s not got anything to do with tactics. Why would he? FWIW I think our recruitment has been better since he’s been here, and any critique of his position should be put on the shelf.
    I'd agree with this. If he did, he'd have insisted NM abandoned that nonsense 442 formation 20 games earlier when it was clear to anyone with a brain cell it was never going to work.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I fear he'll be doing it at a fairly empty stadium as i fear season ticket sales will be rotten if he's still in charge.
    ST sales are up considerably on the same time as last year - I got that from the TO last week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    ST sales are up considerably on the same time as last year - I got that from the TO last week.
    That'll be down to the seat release being brought forward by 2 months.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    There’s been little to suggest Montgomery has what it takes to bring us marked improvement imo. There’s been wee bursts of light here and there but overall it’s been slightly worse than LJ, which is quite an achievement.

I understand at some stage we need to back one of them but he also has to show he’s got what it takes by winning us points. Bottom six finish and he’s gone without a question for me. Even 6th I wouldn’t be desperate to keep him.

That'll be down to the seat release being brought forward by 2 months.
    Some will be - but unless 25-30% of our ST holders are looking to move seats, our numbers are looking excellent in comparison to last year.

I think people like the price hold and the early bird offer.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    You are still conflating the DOF role with a Head of Recruitment role. Calvin Charlton identifies players and submits them to Nick and Brian, unless they have their own contacts of course.

Main Roles and Responsibilities of a DOF
    Most sporting directors today have a more strategic role in the football operations of a club. Depending on the size of the club and the agreements in place with the head coach or manager, the responsibilities may vary, but these are typically some of the tasks a director of football works on:

Player Recruitment and transfers:
    One of the priority tasks of a Director of Football is to identify and recruit players who can enhance the team's performance. They work closely with scouts and the club's Recruitment Department to identify target positions, select targets, negotiate transfers, and secure player contracts.

Team strategy and philosophy:
    The Director of Football collaborates with the coaching staff to develop and implement the team's playing style and tactical philosophy. They often work with coaches within the youth setup too in order to ensure a playing style is implemented at all levels and young players making the step up to the first team are well prepared.

Contract negotiations:
    Handling player contracts, negotiations, and extensions is an essential responsibility. They also work to resolve contract disputes and manage player relations.

Youth development:
    Nurturing young talents within the club's academy system is crucial for sustainable success. The Director of Football oversees the youth development program and ensures a smooth transition of talents to the senior team.

Sporting infrastructure and facilities:
    They are involved in the development of training facilities, sports science programs, and other aspects that improve the overall sporting infrastructure of the club.

Budgeting and financial planning:
    Collaborating with the club's financial department, the Director of Football ensures that transfer activities align with the club's budget and long-term financial strategy.

Pretty much the George Craig role under Leeann Dempster. Should be fairly standard responsibilities for a DOF, I would suggest.
    Last edited by RIP; 09-04-2024 at 07:16 AM.

I? will pick you up on your 'continue' to see an improvement comment as he's made us worse.

I have renewed mine,

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar

Hard agree.

The DoF is one of, if not the, most important roles at the club.

They should oversee everything in the footballing operation setting standards, expectations, style, and transfer policy.

They should be here for a long time, 5 years plus.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Red herring I reckon.

They’ll fall off a cliff shortly once early bird finishes.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Ian Gordon is still involved in the football side of the club.
    He is? In what sense?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeshibs View Post
    I have renewed mine,
    So have I, but I did purely to keep my seat.

Blog Entries
    Some will be - but unless 25-30% of our ST holders are looking to move seats, our numbers are looking excellent in comparison to last year.

There's 8 of us that go together. We've all renewed and it was purely down to the seat release. My Mother-in-law her pals are in a group of 7. They've all renewed early and again, it was down to the seat release.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    If we finish this season in the manner we are now - and NM is kept in post - season ticket sales will stagnate. Just as bad as that, the atmosphere at the start of next season will be non-existent and it will move to poisonous very quickly if the same approach continues to be followed.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

It’s a real bugbear of mine that the seat release was way before the early bird date. If you are a season ticket holder who wanted to keep their existing seat, as I’m sure most do (maybe not those who sit near me ) then effectively the seat release date is when the early bird ends. I would have held off renewing mine otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    It’s a real bugbear of mine that the seat release was way before the early bird date. If you are a season ticket holder who wanted to keep their existing seat, as I’m sure most do (maybe not those who sit near me ) then effectively the seat release date is when the early bird ends. I would have held off renewing mine otherwise.
    You are right, it was a bit annoying - maybe they knew the season was going to end up this way and wanted to get as many thru the door as possible

Back on topic, I really have no idea what BM does, if he is fully on top of the football side thats great.

But someone mentioned earlier that his role might be quite short term - thats not really what we need from a DoF as how we play, type of player and manager we need, succession planning etc are all med to long term actions.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    You are right, it was a bit annoying - maybe they knew the season was going to end up this way and wanted to get as many thru the door as possible

Back on topic, I really have no idea what BM does, if he is fully on top of the football side thats great.

But someone mentioned earlier that his role might be quite short term - thats not really what we need from a DoF as how we play, type of player and manager we need, succession planning etc are all med to long term actions.
    I’m a big fan of his. Admittedly it’s not all been great, but I’m hopeful he’s going nowhere in the short term.