hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brian McDermott

I don't think Brian will be here beyond the summer.

That's my opinion from my own conversation with him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gordon is the head of the football department. He sat at the AGM and said nothing. We can't have the owner of the company heading up the football department it makes no sense.

McDermott was surprised to get the job, he has said this multiple times , I'd have preferred we hired someone who didn't think they were beneath the position, someone who has worked at a level above us.

The one thing we need from the Foley connection is a massive influence in a positive way over the football department , it is clearly an area the current incumbents are unable to work in a way that sees us improve onfield performances..

Dud managers apoointed, clear gaps in the squad over a period of years and massive underperformance on the field in that time too.
    Brian McDermott has worked many levels above us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    I don't think Brian will be here beyond the summer.

That's my opinion from my own conversation with him.
    Because he wants to move on?

Never really got why we employed Brian, what players he himself has identified that we’ve signed or what role he’d have post BK investment where we’ve already seen players being made available through that connection.

Makes sense to move on from him and bring in someone via the BKs. Indeed I’d do that for all the first team connected roles at this point.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Never really got why we employed Brian, what players he himself has identified that we’ve signed or what role he’d have post BK investment where we’ve already seen players being made available through that connection.

Makes sense to move on from him and bring in someone via the BKs. Indeed I’d do that for all the first team connected roles at this point.
    if you don’t get why we hired a DoF (he doesn’t actually like the term) then perhaps that’s why you’re suggesting we move on thinking it’s would either have a non-disruptive effect on the club or a positive.

weve suffered from lack of continuity with manages the DoF is supposed to smooth that. We can’t be chopping and changing them - unless we want to follow the Aberdeen Model…? Can’t keep going down the rip it up and start again surely ? Would in bit be better to have Brian work with them? Who knows (the board do!) what constraints Brian has been operating under - perhaps Brian was brought in in advance of the deal and more opps appear as a result of the tie-up / funding? Time will tell.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

I’d say Obita and Jo Jo were his signings

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I wasn't that impressed. Sounded to me he was doing an interview for a chat show host job rather than the DoF at an elite football club.
    Elite football club? I thought he worked for Hibs 😁

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    I wasn’t being serious.
    That wasn't in doubt. 😅

What appeared to be in doubt was your quip suggesting that critique of the Director of Football was the same as calling for his head. Its acknowledged that Montys tactics are baffling, easy for opposition managers to play against and he's inexperienced in this league.

But he's meant to be part of a bigger team of people running the football side of the club under Brian McDermott. Yet Nick and the players are the only ones being held accountable for our league position. Sometimes Kensall, sometimes Gordon (Neither of whom are involved in that side of the club now), but never McDermott.

I'm not gunning for the man, just trying to understand what he brings to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    That wasn't in doubt. 😅

What appeared to be in doubt was your quip suggesting that critique of the Director of Football was the same as calling for his head. Its acknowledged that Montys tactics are baffling, easy for opposition managers to play against and he's inexperienced in this league.

But he's meant to be part of a bigger team of people running the football side of the club under Brian McDermott. Yet Nick and the players are the only ones being held accountable for our league position. Sometimes Kensall, sometimes Gordon (Neither of whom are involved in that side of the club now), but never McDermott.

I'm not gunning for the man, just trying to understand what he brings to the party.
    Ian Gordon is still involved in the football side of the club.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Lee Johnson had Wollacott at Bristol City, I’d imagine Jojo was his signing. ALF was probably McDermott-led, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Alf maybe

Brian : Aka Peter Brady / Aka " The Invisible Man.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    That wasn't in doubt. 😅

He's there to have a 'focus across the recruitment of players and football operations such as scouting, analysis, sports science, and medicine".

So we were told

I don't know what his report card really looks like but it looks no that good ATM seeing as we're not doing that well on the pitch.

If we were there would be no chat about him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibiza View Post
    Brian : Aka Peter Brady / Aka " The Invisible Man.
    Why wouldn't our DoF be invisible? Id imagine he is busy working. What do you expect him to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    if you don’t get why we hired a DoF (he doesn’t actually like the term) then perhaps that’s why you’re suggesting we move on thinking it’s would either have a non-disruptive effect on the club or a positive.

weve suffered from lack of continuity with manages the DoF is supposed to smooth that. We can’t be chopping and changing them - unless we want to follow the Aberdeen Model…? Can’t keep going down the rip it up and start again surely ? Would in bit be better to have Brian work with them? Who knows (the board do!) what constraints Brian has been operating under - perhaps Brian was brought in in advance of the deal and more opps appear as a result of the tie-up / funding? Time will tell.
    I don’t get why we hired him as DoF specifically, a role he himself seems to be surprised he was offered, not that we shouldn’t have one in general.

I think we need a Director of Football or whatever title you want them to have, purely because I think it provides us with a continuity between managers. But if I'm honest Brian McDermott didn't exactly fill me with confidence that he was a man with an ethos and a plan on how to improve our football club over the next 5 years.

• What is the preferred formation or style we want to see managers play when hired by the club? That way we can continuously recruit without fear of ripping up the blueprint in time.
    • What do we want to see from them in a coaching perspective in regards to younger players or introducing our academy products?
    • How do we carry on that process should we find success and our manager gets taken from us, or worse we're ***** and we have to get rid?

Those are just three of what will be many things that I would expect to understand from a DoF so that we're on a route to not being where we are in 5 or more years time where we're just pissing into the wind with recruitment and appointments.

At the moment I do not understand what his plan is, if he even has one. I said before about Vente and Youan that we hired a manager in Monty that didn't seem to want to play to their strengths and instead remould the squad into some 442 playing machine or with a striker playing false 9 etc. These don't strike me as decisions made with joined up thinking. If we spent the best part of £1.5m on players last summer the first thing I would expect is we do everything in our power to give them a platform to go be successful signings, I think we've done nothing short of the opposite of that and we're likely going to have to write off whatever investment we've made into players last summer because of it.

Total shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I think we need a Director of Football or whatever title you want them to have, purely because I think it provides us with a continuity between managers. But if I'm honest Brian McDermott didn't exactly fill me with confidence that he was a man with an ethos and a plan on how to improve our football club over the next 5 years.

• What is the preferred formation or style we want to see managers play when hired by the club? That way we can continuously recruit without fear of ripping up the blueprint in time.
    • What do we want to see from them in a coaching perspective in regards to younger players or introducing our academy products?
    • How do we carry on that process should we find success and our manager gets taken from us, or worse we're ***** and we have to get rid?

Those are just three of what will be many things that I would expect to understand from a DoF so that we're on a route to not being where we are in 5 or more years time where we're just pissing into the wind with recruitment and appointments.

At the moment I do not understand what his plan is, if he even has one. I said before about Vente and Youan that we hired a manager in Monty that didn't seem to want to play to their strengths and instead remould the squad into some 442 playing machine or with a striker playing false 9 etc. These don't strike me as decisions made with joined up thinking. If we spent the best part of £1.5m on players last summer the first thing I would expect is we do everything in our power to give them a platform to go be successful signings, I think we've done nothing short of the opposite of that and we're likely going to have to write off whatever investment we've made into players last summer because of it.

Total shambles.

You say things in this in an attempt to have a go at McDermott without knowing if he does or doesn’t have them in place.

You mention the 442. Both Youan and Vente can play in a 442, both could be strikers for example. How the manager chooses to use them is upto him. Now Monty has changed formation it’s even more suited to our best players.

A DoF should 100% not be setting the guidelines on what sort of formation we play. An ‘approach’ or ‘philosophy’ yeah fair enough, but most managers now as days will say the same about attacking football etc but delivering it is a different job all together.

Introducing younger players from the academy - if that was one of McDermotts then he’s got a man in Montgomery who has delivered that.

A contingency should Montgomery leave? Well it’s impossible to judge considering he’s not done that. I imagine he’ll have a list of guys he likes and would want to speak to, however that can change on a week to week basis depending on getting news jobs etc

McDermott seems a man of action and not words imo. He could come out in an interview and mention everything possible to get fans on board, but it means absolutely nothing unless they actually manage to achieve it - he’ll know this himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    You say things in this in an attempt to have a go at McDermott without knowing if he does or doesn’t have them in place.

You mention the 442. Both Youan and Vente can play in a 442, both could be strikers for example. How the manager chooses to use them is upto him. Now Monty has changed formation it’s even more suited to our best players.

A DoF should 100% not be setting the guidelines on what sort of formation we play. An ‘approach’ or ‘philosophy’ yeah fair enough, but most managers now as days will say the same about attacking football etc but delivering it is a different job all together.

Introducing younger players from the academy - if that was one of McDermotts then he’s got a man in Montgomery who has delivered that.

A contingency should Montgomery leave? Well it’s impossible to judge considering he’s not done that. I imagine he’ll have a list of guys he likes and would want to speak to, however that can change on a week to week basis depending on getting news jobs etc

McDermott seems a man of action and not words imo. He could come out in an interview and mention everything possible to get fans on board, but it means absolutely nothing unless they actually manage to achieve it - he’ll know this himself.
    He might not set the formation and of course a manager can change his tactics as games come and go to win each game, but usually you'll see a thread throughout a season of what a manager prefers or what his squad plays best in. In my opinion we ripped up whatever plan we had in the summer for something different with Montgomery for nearly half a season.

I'm not asking McDermott to exactly pick the formation but when it comes to the recruitment of a new manager he should probably be aware that perhaps our players didn't suit the system Montgomery liked to play at his previous job. At the very least there should have been wheels in motion for us to get him players that could play that 442 system, instead we played a system that didn't work and then recruited for a different one more reminiscent to what we previously again and went back to it.

That doesn't to me sound like we have a joined up or mid to longer term thought process on what we're trying to achieve as a whole from a football department.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    He might not set the formation and of course a manager can change his tactics as games come and go to win each game, but usually you'll see a thread throughout a season of what a manager prefers or what his squad plays best in. In my opinion we ripped up whatever plan we had in the summer for something different with Montgomery for nearly half a season.

I'm not asking McDermott to exactly pick the formation but when it comes to the recruitment of a new manager he should probably be aware that perhaps our players didn't suit the system Montgomery liked to play at his previous job. At the very least there should have been wheels in motion for us to get him players that could play that 442 system, instead we played a system that didn't work and then recruited for a different one more reminiscent to what we previously again and went back to it.

That doesn't to me sound like we have a joined up or mid to longer term thought process on what we're trying to achieve as a whole from a football department.
    I’d imagine that’s a conversation he had with Montgomery though. “Do you think you can implement your 442 formation with the current group of players”

I think even at mariners the wide midfielders were more wingers than say a right midfielder in the style of a Cadden.

He’d have looked at the squad and thought with the players we’ve got he could pull it off. He started off well with Vente scoring regularly, ALF getting injured really disrupted the team imo.

Just because it’s not worked as well as we hoped, doesn’t mean the questions weren’t asked.

@hibs.net private member
    Brian is a great character, dry but good to listen to.

What he doesn’t know about football isn’t worth knowing. He also speaks candidly about his personal issues. He is up here, away from his family, the initial job was a 3 - 6 month role. He’s been here a lot longer than even he expected.

He won’t be here much longer. Who we get to replace him and work with NM etc is pivotal.

Brian McDermott would be a huge loss to the club if we don’t get his replacement right. Whilst I am at it so would IG, KG, BK and MM. we are very lucky to have all the right people who care deeply about our club.

The football side will see a huge improvement this summer no doubt about it. We are a club going in the right way and these calls to sack everyone are mental.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post

What he doesn’t know about football isn’t worth knowing. He also speaks candidly about his personal issues. He is up here, away from his family, the initial job was a 3 - 6 month role. He’s been here a lot longer than even he expected.

He won’t be here much longer. Who we get to replace him and work with NM etc is pivotal.

Brian McDermott would be a huge loss to the club if we don’t get his replacement right. Whilst I am at it so would IG, KG, BK and MM. we are very lucky to have all the right people who care deeply about our club.

The football side will see a huge improvement this summer no doubt about it. We are a club going in the right way and these calls to sack everyone are mental.
    I’ve never met the people running the club so it’s reassuring to hear from people like you that have and still have such confidence in them.

I disagree with your last sentence though, it’s a results driven business and no matter what club you’re at, if results aren’t there, pressure and calls to be sacked will follow, I am afraid that’s just the nature of the beast when having a job in football, I’m sure Brian McDermott will know that better than anyone.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hibs Central saying he’s away in the summer so I’m assuming someone has said it on the PM board.

In what way was his role a 3-6 month job?

Shame if true, seems weird only having him in for 12 months.

Malky Mackay his replacement? At the game on Saturday it was that a coincidence?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    In what way was his role a 3-6 month job?
    He believed he was coming up to steady the ship so to speak. It was his wife that told him to take the job.

He didn’t and still doesn’t like the tag of director of football. He is very open about this.

He’s said similar in two or three different chats with him. Not directly with myself but in a group setting.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’ve never met the people running the club so it’s reassuring to hear from people like you that have and still have such confidence in them.

I disagree with your last sentence though, it’s a results driven business and no matter what club you’re at, if results aren’t there, pressure and calls to be sacked will follow, I am afraid that’s just the nature of the beast when having a job in football, I’m sure Brian McDermott will know that better than anyone.
    Yes he will, but he’s also aware of the bigger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Shame if true, seems weird only having him in for 12 months.

Malky Mackay his replacement? At the game on Saturday it was that a coincidence?
    Not sure we’d need someone who would seek to ‘limit’ the players we could choose from as he would.

Not sure we’d need someone who would seek to ‘limit’ the players we could choose from as he would.
    You have lost me here.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You have lost me here.
    Sure he was referring to Mackays previous indiscretions.

Some people will never forget that, as is their right. I personally find that a bit of a shame, everyone deserves a second chance IMO.

Each to their own though.

He believed he was coming up to steady the ship so to speak. It was his wife that told him to take the job.

He didn’t and still doesn’t like the tag of director of football. He is very open about this.

He’s said similar in two or three different chats with him. Not directly with myself but in a group setting.
    That sounds quite different from what Hibs announced. Another mess of an appointment if things play out the way that you anticipate.

Time will tell.