hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian McDermott

Brian McDermott

AKA The Invisible Man

Kensall has done well with stadium improvements, investment and hospitality additions. He's generated income which is what someone with his background is expected to do.

The club made a big hoorah about the recruitment of Brian McDermott as Football Director to lead the football operation.

On signings he may get a pass but how many of our teams are performing to expectations this season?

And when is he going to be held accountable for his performance?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Did a Longbangers episode last year and since then..?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    CMon Matty, invite him back with an interviewing panel.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Cracked some one liners at the AGM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Cracked some one liners at the AGM.
    I wasn't that impressed. Sounded to me he was doing an interview for a chat show host job rather than the DoF at an elite football club.

First Team Breakthrough
    I have it on good authority that the business done in Jan was all him and many staff feared we’d fail to get anyone in.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I’m wondering who will be next to get flak. The kit man ? Seems it’s open season.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I’m wondering who will be next to get flak. The kit man ? Seems it’s open season.
    The team are rubbish, what do you expect. Anybody connected with the football management side of the business is failing and deserves the flack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There was some chat at the game yesterday that he’s away in the summer.

The structure is wrong from top to bottom, the product on the park is terrible, we have been here so many times and nothing has changed in that time, the money we have wasted is incredible

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNor View Post
    I have it on good authority that the business done in Jan was all him and many staff feared we’d fail to get anyone in.
    I’ve read that a few times but I still don’t know what it means?!

Regarding McDermott, I’ve been disappointed with what he’s offered so far, I thought his contacts he was meant to be finding unhidden gems from the youth ranks down south and all over the world. His best signings so far have been guys who used to play for him a hundred years ago.

Seems a bit of a pointless wage imo.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Lol this forum is wild after a defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    We were talking about this yesterday after the game. In these circumstances everyone gets it. It was right after I was moaning about the guy on the tannoy getting stuff wrong!

On the point of McDermott though, I do think there is some valid questions to be asked. Two transfer windows in and we’re going to be looking at another huge turnaround in the third whilst not really being any closer to have it the spine of a team. And it’s now more than likely that we’ll go in to next season with yet another manager.

Don't think Brian McDermott is the problem. He has to work within budget constraints and hopefully that should be a bigger and consequently better players. I think the business we did in Jan was decent and has improved the team, with the exception of the defence. I am sure that will be rectified in the summer, whoever the manager is.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We were talking about this yesterday after the game. In these circumstances everyone gets it. It was right after I was moaning about the guy on the tannoy getting stuff wrong!

On the point of McDermott though, I do think there is some valid questions to be asked. Two transfer windows in and we’re going to be looking at another huge turnaround in the third whilst not really being any closer to have it the spine of a team. And it’s now more than likely that we’ll go in to next season with yet another manager.
    I agree. I was being flippant with my earlier post, to an extent. I think BMcD has had a bit of a mixed bag. Some real quality has come in since he was appointed, a few poor signings too. His biggest black mark would be the appointment of Monty.

I was told we have big plans for this summer, what that actually looks like I’m not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    Don't think Brian McDermott is the problem. He has to work within budget constraints and hopefully that should be a bigger and consequently better players. I think the business we did in Jan was decent and has improved the team, with the exception of the defence. I am sure that will be rectified in the summer, whoever the manager is.
    All recruitment departments in any business have to operate within a budget. The key to recruitment is the process the hiring manager follows and, for the last few years, ours simply hasn't been good enough. The positive is that the right person in charge with the right process can sort out previous mistakes and improve things pretty quickly. The question then becomes is whether Ian Gordon and Ben Kensall are prepared to admit they have gotten things seriously wrong since removing Mathie and Ross within a matter of months. We have to hope that Mr Foley shows them the error of their ways if they can't see it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    AKA The Invisible Man

Kensall has done well with stadium improvements, investment and hospitality additions. He's generated income which is what someone with his background is expected to do.

The club made a big hoorah about the recruitment of Brian McDermott as Football Director to lead the football operation.

On signings he may get a pass but how many of our teams are performing to expectations this season?

And when is he going to be held accountable for his performance?

You'll give him a pass on signings but want him to answer for how the team is performing?

Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    All recruitment departments in any business have to operate within a budget. The key to recruitment is the process the hiring manager follows and, for the last few years, ours simply hasn't been good enough. The positive is that the right person in charge with the right process can sort out previous mistakes and improve things pretty quickly. The question then becomes is whether Ian Gordon and Ben Kensall are prepared to admit they have gotten things seriously wrong since removing Mathie and Ross within a matter of months. We have to hope that Mr Foley shows them the error of their ways if they can't see it themselves.
    From my recollection Ron made the unilateral decision to sack Ross.

Needing to sign a centre half in January, getting Bevan who was injured and getting sent back to Bournemouth and Triantis who has started playing in midfield ahead of NMW. Was that the plan? We needed to fix our defence badly I don’t know if if that’s all McDermott’s fault but having to rely on Fish and Bushiri for the rest of the season is pretty pathetic

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I wasn't that impressed. Sounded to me he was doing an interview for a chat show host job rather than the DoF at an elite football club.
    Totally agree. Had a great opportunity to explain in a few minutes his role and responsibilities.

Instead totally failed trying to be a comedian...

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    Totally agree. Had a great opportunity to explain in a few minutes his role and responsibilities.

Instead totally failed trying to be a comedian...
    Yip, it was cringe worthy.

McDermott should be blamed as well. 100%.

Everyone recruited by Kensell and The Gordons to the footballing part of Hibs have failed over the last 2 - 3 years. They have sacked 3 complete management/coaching teams (Ross/Maloney/Johnson). Know they didn't recruit Ross but they punted him at the first opportunity. Looks like Montgomery's lot will be next.

What a waste of time and money.

Common thread here is all these sackings have been under the watch of Kensell & The Gordons. Kensell can be removed easily which leaves us with Ian Gordon at the helm.

Ian Gordon. Anytime I've come across him he's like a rabbit in the headlights.

We are in one serious mess.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The pile on really is quite nauseating

I’d rather bm was a more chief scout with his contacts etc

I think hibs need a sporting director type so there is constant link between board, first team, reserves, academy

I think we’re all over the shop now

Kensell can’t keep getting away with hiring failed managers at the club though

Gordon is the head of the football department. He sat at the AGM and said nothing. We can't have the owner of the company heading up the football department it makes no sense.

McDermott was surprised to get the job, he has said this multiple times , I'd have preferred we hired someone who didn't think they were beneath the position, someone who has worked at a level above us.

The one thing we need from the Foley connection is a massive influence in a positive way over the football department , it is clearly an area the current incumbents are unable to work in a way that sees us improve onfield performances..

Dud managers apoointed, clear gaps in the squad over a period of years and massive underperformance on the field in that time too.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    The pile on really is quite nauseating
    Watching Hibs this season is quite nauseating.

Not convinced. But we're sitting 7th in a crap league so who would be?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    He didn't - we've never spoken to him.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    CMon Matty, invite him back with an interviewing panel.
    We have a long standing request to get him on, but it's never happened.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’ve read that a few times but I still don’t know what it means?!

Regarding McDermott, I’ve been disappointed with what he’s offered so far, I thought his contacts he was meant to be finding unhidden gems from the youth ranks down south and all over the world. His best signings so far have been guys who used to play for him a hundred years ago.

Seems a bit of a pointless wage imo.
    He was a freelance scouting fir clubs a lot bigger than ours Maybe he is struggling to get players to come to hibs That was always my biggest concern