hibs.net Messageboard

This time next year

On the eve of playing St Johnstone here we are scratching around with the likes of Dundee & Motherwell struggling to scrape into the top 6. It's not very exciting is it, in truth.

I can't help looking further ahead and wondering, where we will be this time next year. We have the promise of the Foley millions, but is this going to give us the platform to achieve consistency and regular third place finishes in the long term.

Will the Foley money be used wisely and prudently so we can have regular European group stage football at the very least. Or will it result in a power struggle at the club, wasting money on players and the continued malaise of turnover in managers. Obviously we all want the former.

Where do you think we will be this time next year.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hopefully top 4 and in the race for 3rd whilst still being in the Scottish cup.

They money still won’t put us close financially to Aberdeen and Hearts.

What it does is push us further ahead of the rest of the league, giving us the 5th biggest budget by a significant amount.

It’s hard to say how we’ll get on as hearts are looking good and then Aberdeen will be a different team next season with whoever the appoint.

We could improve massively, however it depends on what hearts and Aberdeen do too.

Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Dundee are off the back off good seasons but we need to push well beyond them in the summer and then make it a fight between ourselves, hearts and Aberdeen so we can take advantage if we’re in a position that they’re not great.

I think this time next year we’ll be between 3rd and 5th but with 3rd actually being achievable.

Shankland will be a massive miss for hearts who they’ll struggle to replace and I think Aberdeen will be pretty poor again, losing Miovski, Duk and Barron in one window too.

All depends on what we do this summer as we’re losing big players too

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I'm not sure.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'm convinced we are going to flourish under this new regime, money will become available that we never thought of, players we could never have dreamed of signing being loaned and signed for future stardom in England.

Plus the purchase of better quality players of our own.

Strap in, it's going to be exciting, been a long time since i was this excited about Hibs.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm convinced we are going to flourish under this new regime, money will become available that we never thought of, players we could never have dreamed of signing being loaned and signed for future stardom in England.

Strap in, it's going to be exciting, been a long time since i was this excited about Hibs.
    How I see it as well, exciting times ahead with the BKs.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

What it does is push us further ahead of the rest of the league, giving us the 5th biggest budget by a significant amount.

It’s hard to say how we’ll get on as hearts are looking good and then Aberdeen will be a different team next season with whoever the appoint.

We could improve massively, however it depends on what hearts and Aberdeen do too.

Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Dundee are off the back off good seasons but we need to push well beyond them in the summer and then make it a fight between ourselves, hearts and Aberdeen so we can take advantage if we’re in a position that they’re not great.

I think this time next year we’ll be between 3rd and 5th but with 3rd actually being achievable.

Shankland will be a massive miss for hearts who they’ll struggle to replace and I think Aberdeen will be pretty poor again, losing Miovski, Duk and Barron in one window too.

for all Hearts finances would be interesting to see how Hearts would fare without Shankland or before ir Boyce. An over reliance on individuals over a team — and they’ve got away with it… we’ve had Darren Jackson and Sparky but they’ve carried our team to avoid relegation. Hearts just seem to luck it out….
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Hibs struggled to replace Nisbet last summer and Hearts and Aberdeen will struggle to replace Shankland and Miovski this summer.
    Hibs loss this summer will be our best loan players Fish and Maolida. We might be able to keep Marcondes and we will probably bring more quality loans in.

We are currently the best performing team outside the OF and if we have as good a team next season as we currently have I will be happy.

I see us fighting it out with Hearts and Aberdeen next season.
    Aberdeen won't have the distraction of European football next season so could steal a march on the Edinburgh teams.
    Presuming we make top six and finish 5th this season I would expect Hibs to be knocked out of Europe at the same stage as last season.
    That will leave Hearts playing midweek and weekends until the winter window and as we have seen with Hearts last season and Aberdeen this, it takes it's toll.

The Foley investment of 6 million is welcome but it's not game changing and all but 2 million will be gone on infrastructure projects. To put it in context Hearts will have investment and income of over 10 million next season so we will remain well behind them in the money stakes.

I see us spending 2 million quid this summer in transfer fees which is what we spent last summer. That will be fleshed out with loan players including centre half Bevan and probably one other from Bournmouth.

I do think it is exciting times which is typified by our loan of Maolida who I think is the best quality player we have had since McGinn.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 06-04-2024 at 02:47 AM.

Coaching Staff
    I’m not sure the ‘Foley millions’ …the current ones anyway are going to make much of a difference.

The current investment isn’t going to see us ‘dealing in a different market’ as some have suggested.

We’ll be able to continue to rely on higher earning loan players though to bolster our squad….which inevitably leads to larger than wanted player turnover each season.

I expect we’ll sign a couple of decent players though, and we’ll comfortably make the top six……but thoughts of us running away with third place, are well……a bit premature.

To do that, we need £6 millio EVERY season, not just on a once off basis.
    Last edited by Forza Fred; 06-04-2024 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I’m not sure the ‘Foley millions’ …the current ones anyway are going to make much of a difference.

The current investment isn’t going to see us ‘dealing in a different market’ as some have suggested.

We’ll be able to continue to rely on higher earning loan players though to bolster our squad….which inevitably leads to larger than wanted player turnover each season.

I expect we’ll sign a couple of decent players though, and we’ll comfortably make the top six……but thoughts of us running away with third place, are well……a bit premature.

To do that, we need £6 million EVERY season, not just on a once off basis.
    Well put Fred and kind of where I am.

The money should make a difference if it's used wisely and this is where there will be increased pressure on McDermott & Montgomery. If we are not comfortably in 5th throughout next season and at the very least in an around Aberdeen & Hearts, the increase in budget will only fuel additional supporter dissatisfaction and resentment.

Much as some people are saying that the £6m will not make a huge difference, surely better performances and results will increase budgets and then in turn give the club more money to improve the team.

Money isn't the panacea, however. It can be used to improve facilities at the club which we can all see and will see more of, but it means hee-haw if we don't have the correct football people at the club. Up until now there is little doubt this is where The Gordons and Kensell have failed miserably. Maybe there are some shoots of recovery, but the problem at the club just now is that I think a majority of supporters have doubts that The Gordons and Kensell will get it right. There is loads of evidence up until now to prove this. Today is a big game. Failure to win today will only compound this. Know this is a short term view, but that's football.

I'm not sure if Montgomery and McDermott will both be here at the start of next season. Finishing 4th or 5th and a European place will help, but now that looks highly unlikely. If they are not, it is likely to indicate BK's are not here to watch the mediocrity we have so far under The Gordons.

I am optimistic about next year too (as always), but it is absolutely VITAL that we get a nailed on leader and stopper at the back.(as always!)…

someone who will not piss about, and will take control, no experiments, just cold hard steel.

Alot of any money we have or will get, needs to be allocated to that alone IMHO.

i really like Rocky, Otita and Cadden, but as Fish will be off, now is the chance to get the back line sorted, for the next few years.

If we can get that right, and with how our play is developing I see no reason why 3rd is not achievable.
    Last edited by Albert Kidd 86’; 06-04-2024 at 06:58 AM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I'm hoping we can relax and enjoy the football before the split and in the run up to the Scottish Cup Final after having secured the league title in 31 games. We can then turn our attention to preparing for Champions League success the year after next.

If there's one thing I've learnt in my 50+ years of following Hibs, the next season normally turns out to be as you'd expect rather than how you'd wish it to be.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Is the initial 6m paying for the improvements to HTC and BTG’s along with the loan players in January.

It was always reported as an ‘initial 6m’

Are we not thinking we will get more this summer?

@hibs.net private member h185forever's Avatar
    “We’ll be millionaires Rodney..!”…….

Comfortably in third place, on the heels of the InFirm, league cup in the bag and into the later stages of the Scottish. Hearts have imploded and sacked naebadges and replaced him with the dream team of Presley, Fat Robbo and Ian Black.

Following an inspirational summer window, picking up Shankland to spearhead our attack, Monty has taken inspiration from a boozy night in the renovated Famous Five stand and gone to a 235 formation, with Youan, Boyle, Shankland, Matilda and Jair terrorising the Scottish defences, while a defence of Hanlon and Stevenson and Marshall keeps out the opposition, Newell remains undroppable despite having had an awful haircut disaster at a new barbershop in Stockbridge.

The helipad is now finished, the pitch splitting in half on rollers and the helipad raising up from the centre circle to allow Foley and co to arrive in style.

The corners have been infilled, Hibs have opened a shop in St James Quarter, Tom Kitchin is doing the catering in the west upper and Pilot are providing the beer in the new concourse bars. Ben Kensall has opened a series of tanning salons.

The proclaimers have been signed up to provide half time entertainment at every home derby.

Hibs net has reinstated the Cheeseboard...

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Comfortably in third place, on the heels of the InFirm, league cup in the bag and into the later stages of the Scottish. Hearts have imploded and sacked naebadges and replaced him with the dream team of Presley, Fat Robbo and Ian Black.

Following an inspirational summer window, picking up Shankland to spearhead our attack, Monty has taken inspiration from a boozy night in the renovated Famous Five stand and gone to a 235 formation, with Youan, Boyle, Shankland, Matilda and Jair terrorising the Scottish defences, while a defence of Hanlon and Stevenson and Marshall keeps out the opposition, Newell remains undroppable despite having had an awful haircut disaster at a new barbershop in Stockbridge.

The helipad is now finished, the pitch splitting in half on rollers and the helipad raising up from the centre circle to allow Foley and co to arrive in style.

The corners have been infilled, Hibs have opened a shop in St James Quarter, Tom Kitchin is doing the catering in the west upper and Pilot are providing the beer in the new concourse bars. Ben Kensall has opened a series of tanning salons.

The proclaimers have been signed up to provide half time entertainment at every home derby.

Hibs net has reinstated the Cheeseboard...
    WOW, someone had a little extra in their cornflakes today!

Hope it all comes true.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post

Will the Foley money be used wisely and prudently so we can have regular European group stage football at the very least. .
    We would need an input of about £15 million a year to ensure we secured European Group stage football every year.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    On the eve of playing St Johnstone here we are scratching around with the likes of Dundee & Motherwell struggling to scrape into the top 6. It's not very exciting is it, in truth.

I can't help looking further ahead and wondering, where we will be this time next year. We have the promise of the Foley millions, but is this going to give us the platform to achieve consistency and regular third place finishes in the long term.

Will the Foley money be used wisely and prudently so we can have regular European group stage football at the very least. Or will it result in a power struggle at the club, wasting money on players and the continued malaise of turnover in managers. Obviously we all want the former.

Where do you think we will be this time next year.
    Good question (might nick it for a podcast topic!) - l would say that it is exciting just now with the fight for a top six place, just not the kind of excitement we'd want - would much rather have the excitement of hunting down a top three spot than a top six.

I agree that money isn't the panacea here, we need more than cash to make a difference, and personally I think this is where the club can realise the benefit of being part of a wider group, particularly with Foley on the board to pull strings.

Although the club have played down the Bournemouth connection with Marcondes' signing, there's no doubt in my mind that we were able to afford him thanks to the relationship, and Moriah-Welsh is definitely a signing were wouldn't otherwise have made.

I think we will benefit from Bournemouth or Lorient spending, maybe not immediately in the summer but I can see a situation where they sign players and loan them out (assuming Lorient and Black Knight FC see Scotland as a step below France in terms of quality of league).

If we can get a European slot, even the Conference League qualifiers, I think we'll see a push to have a squad capable of reaching the group stage, she we're just have to hope to avoid an Aston Villa this time.

We're not going to get an impact like Chelsea did with Abramovich's millions but we will improve.

The key to it all is spending the investment wisely (which is why it's good to use it on long term income generating projects like the FF, and to improve the training centre significantly) and to squeeze absolutely every advantage out of the group set up. Bournemouth will, I suspect, increase their squad size this season to stay competitive (relatively) in the Premiership but they can't play them all, so we should benefit from that.

A couple of players from that level can be significant as you're then into a level that's competitive with Rangers and Celtic - we don't need to spend £30-40k a week on their wage to have them play for us, and that's where the group is the benefit and not the cash injection. £6m is chicken feed in football terms, Celtic have £70m sitting in the bank, Rangers will make multiples of that from their run in Europe this season, Hearts bring that amount in (give or take) every season in donations.

Leveraging the relationship is critical, and then using the money we do have effectively is going to be what elevates us or not.

I'm excited for what's to come, but I don't think we're going to be the team that blows millions in transfers to achieve third.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    I see Lorient are still in the relegation places in French league 1

Dont know if it benefits us to see them drop or not.

Could see us as the second club in the B K group or extra funds may be directed their way to ensure promotion next season .

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    I see Lorient are still in the relegation places in French league 1

Dont know if it benefits us to see them drop or not.

Could see us as the second club in the B K group or extra funds may be directed their way to ensure promotion next season .
    I don't think it'll be an either/or situation when it comes to funds.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Kidd 86’ View Post
    WOW, someone had a little extra in their cornflakes today!

Hope it all comes true.
    Maybe not all of it....

...I dont really expect the Cheeseboard back 🤣

We’ll be scrambling to make the top six.

Monty and his successor will have been punted.

At Christmas we’ll be 10th having been barely able to fill the bench at times in August, with our team having at least one department that is simply not fit for purpose for the entire first half of the season, even after a flurry of loans arriving late August.

The team will improve drastically as the glaring problems are fixed with more loans in January, to play alongside some parts of the team that really look quite promising.

We’ll still technically be in with a chance of fourth and still in the cup under our caretaker owner, and we’ll be speculating whether or not to give our caretaker manager the job full time under the new DoF, who we will have been looking for by that point for 6 months but not yet filled the role. There will be the usual mixture of anger, apathy and heady optimism about what lies ahead under the Gordons and Foleys.
    Last edited by Smartie; 06-04-2024 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

This. There are odd incidents to the contrary where the trend is bucked by inspirational or incompetent management and clubs massively punch above their weight or fail miserably, but largely speaking you get what you pay for in the modern game.

We have top four finances, so we'll be battling for top 4 positions.

I think Hearts and probably Aberdeen will stay with us, but it will be very hard for most of the other clubs to do so.

@hibs.net private member
    I think we will be on hibs.net, reading posts titled "empty this imposter". But I obviously don't know which imposter it will be by then.

We'll be on here questioning Michael O'Neill's dedication to the Hibs job he took up only a year earlier after the Daily Record linked him to the vacant Celtic job following the sacking of Rogers whose side are well adrift in third place.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    Hopefully top 4 and in the race for 3rd whilst still being in the Scottish cup.
    Will revise this. Lucky to get top 6

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    Will revise this. Lucky to get top 6
    That was quick.

24 hrs is a long time in football.

That was quick.

24 hrs is a long time in football.
    Hibs have zapped me of any optimism in that time