hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hibs in 1992

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did McGraw get injured not long before the Skol cup final? Against Dunfermline funnily enough

Played a part in the winning goal against the Huns in the semi as well
    Those both sound about right.

2. Log in to remove the advert

McGraw looked a really good young player
    Was not the same after that injury v Pars

Wasn't it Mcgraw that went for the ball Goram punched? ( still to this day I'm not sure if Goram was inside the box when he did ) . I never forgot how quickly budgie got up to save the shot from McCoist either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    ...but then we signed Keezbo..

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    My memory on the timeline there is hazy. Did we sell Paul to fund the Keith deal or had Paul left Hibs before that? If the former then I guess we might never have signed Keith had Paul not had his leg broken and had gone on to become the goal machine at Hibs he subsequently was for St J and Killie.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Wasn't it Mcgraw that went for the ball Goram punched? ( still to this day I'm not sure if Goram was inside the box when he did ) . I never forgot how quickly budgie got up to save the shot from McCoist either.
    It was McGraw.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

91-92 we finished 5th (out of 10).
    92-93 we finished 7th (out of 10).

Eight derby games, zero wins.

It's a good job there was no internet in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    91-92 we finished 5th (out of 10).
    92-93 we finished 7th (out of 10).

Eight derby games, zero wins.

It's a good job there was no internet in those days.
    They were 44-game seasons in those days though. We did really well in 91/92, winning a trophy and qualifying for Europe - all in the wake of the club teetering close to extinction. IIRC we had a terrific unbeaten start and didn't actually lose many games all season. We only lost one of the derbies and very much went toe to toe with a stronger Hearts side in the others. Should have got to at least the semis of the Scottish Cup but Tommy McIntyre's casual penalty style finally caught up with him against Airdrie when we had the chance to go 1-0 up. We'd have won that game if he'd scored.
    Last edited by He's here!; 25-03-2024 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    They were 44-game seasons in those days though. We did really well in 91/92, winning a trophy and qualifying for Europe - all in the wake of the club teetering close to extinction. IIRC we had a terrific unbeaten start and didn't actually lose many games sll season. Should have got to at least the semis of the Scottish Cup but Tommy McIntyre's casual penalty style finally caught up with him against Airdrie when we had the chance to go 1-0 up. We'd have won that game if he'd scored.

I really enjoyed the LC win, it was the first time I'd seen us win a trophy (outside of the 1st Div title).

I just dread to think what the reaction to a lot of that era would have been if there was a hibs.net then

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It was McGraw.
    Thanks , wonder would Keith's goal have stood if we had VAR then .

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Thanks , wonder would Keith's goal have stood if we had VAR then .
    Referee had a long hard look but there was f#ck all he could do as there were two Huns on the goal line

My memory on the timeline there is hazy. Did we sell Paul to fund the Keith deal or had Paul left Hibs before that? If the former then I guess we might never have signed Keith had Paul not had his leg broken and had gone on to become the goal machine at Hibs he subsequently was for St J and Killie.
    No you’re spot on. Paul was sold then we signed Keith soon after that. I would never grudge us signing Keith Wright but I personally think he played his best football at Dundee. Paul Wright scored quite a few against us after he left but who knows how things would have panned out if that **** Berry hadn’t assaulted him?

Pity we couldn't have kept both. They weren't exactly alike as players and might have complimented each other. We couldn't afford to keep both was the shout at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Pity we couldn't have kept both. They weren't exactly alike as players and might have complimented each other. We couldn't afford to keep both was the shout at the time.

I'm guessing the cup win/Euro qualification helped to fund us bringing in Darren Jackson the season after Keith. I remember that seeming like a big money signing for Hibs at the time.

First Team Regular
    Enjoyed the episode and the wider chat about music, video, etc. One thing I remember that many will find hard to believe nowadays is that CDs were far more expensive than vinyl or cassettes.

It was McGraw.
    Think you were right about Chris Reid being our back up keeper , I forgot all about this pre season game in 92 .
    https://www.iancolquhoun.org.uk/hibs...2C%20Tortolano.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Nostalgia always changes perspectives, but the pace of life was slower then, due to the limitations of the technology. Now we can be contacted almost anywhere at any time, but it wasn’t the case back then. If you were out, you were out and nobody could get hold of you until you got home. Everything took longer.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Musselbound View Post
    Enjoyed the episode and the wider chat about music, video, etc. One thing I remember that many will find hard to believe nowadays is that CDs were far more expensive than vinyl or cassettes.
    I'm looking forward to when we cover the minidisk era!

I'm looking forward to when we cover the minidisk era!
    Aye, minidiscs! I never had one, but I did have a portable CD player! Carrying CDs around in my bag; it sounds almost Victorian now

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Aye, minidiscs! I never had one, but I did have a portable CD player! Carrying CDs around in my bag; it sounds almost Victorian now
    I bought one with my first wage at HSBC in 1999, I think I still have it somewhere, probably in the loft. It was a brilliant wee thing, you could make mix tapes but on a wee CD!

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    They were 44-game seasons in those days though. We did really well in 91/92, winning a trophy and qualifying for Europe - all in the wake of the club teetering close to extinction. IIRC we had a terrific unbeaten start and didn't actually lose many games all season. We only lost one of the derbies and very much went toe to toe with a stronger Hearts side in the others. Should have got to at least the semis of the Scottish Cup but Tommy McIntyre's casual penalty style finally caught up with him against Airdrie when we had the chance to go 1-0 up. We'd have won that game if he'd scored.
    In one of those Derbies Brian Hamilton had a penalty saved by Henry Smith, who had been looking at the match programme in the dressing room pre-match and had seen a graphic in the match report from the previous game which indicated exactly where Hamilton had put his penalty. I believe the programme editor did not print any such graphic in match reports thereafter.

I enjoyed that listen. 92 was my era, went to Glastonbury that year, got into the dance music scene very briefly but very enthusiastically, if you remember it you weren't really there I moved down south that year and so missed a lot of Hibs action.

The mention of the Evening News Pink made me laugh. I moved back to Edinburgh in 2010 and realised I didnt know that weekends football scores, popped into a newsagent and asked for a Pink. She looked at me like I was mad and said, 'we havent sold that for about ten years'. She probably thought i had been in cryonic suspension and thought Reagan was still president or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    In one of those Derbies Brian Hamilton had a penalty saved by Henry Smith, who had been looking at the match programme in the dressing room pre-match and had seen a graphic in the match report from the previous game which indicated exactly where Hamilton had put his penalty. I believe the programme editor did not print any such graphic in match reports thereafter.
    That's right. I think Alex Miller tore a strip off the programme editor when he heard Smith explain how he'd saved it.

That was one of many derbies of that era where we more than matched Hearts but couldn't buy a win. Not sure how many of their unbeaten 21-game run in the fixture were draws, but it would have been a fair few.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    The Brian Hamilton missed penalty was actually the following season (92/93) and was another game that Hibs completely dominated and, somehow, Hearts escaped with a point.

High point for me supporting Hibs in 1992 was probably the Anderlecht game at ER.

I was a poorly student at the time so couldn't afford to go to the away game. Still think we'd have gone through if Mickey Weir hadn't been sent off in the 2-2 draw at home (although we were 2-1 down at the time).

As part of a Uni video project, I went filming with a mate in the main stand at ER, so we got to fool around with the Skol and League cups. Security a round them was surprisingly lax. I don't have the footage any more, sadly, and didn't take any pics.

Culture-wise, i was obsessed with music - that year I saw Nirvana headline Reading Festival, which turned out to be their last-ever UK show. It was a strange one though, as the girl I was there with saw it prudent to dump me the night before. The Freddie Mercury tribute bash at Wembley Stadium saw David Bowie make an arse of himself by reciting The Lord's Prayer. Also, The Shamen made it to Number One with their cheeky drugs anthem Ebeneezer Goode. Naughty, very naughty. There were only 12 new Number Ones that year, the lowest since 1962.

Elsewhere, Bill Clinton was elected US president, and the Tories won a surprise UK election victory, and the Rodney King beating by police led to the LA riots.
    Last edited by Superfurry72; 26-03-2024 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I enjoyed that listen. 92 was my era, went to Glastonbury that year, got into the dance music scene very briefly but very enthusiastically, if you remember it you weren't really there I moved down south that year and so missed a lot of Hibs action.

The mention of the Evening News Pink made me laugh. I moved back to Edinburgh in 2010 and realised I didnt know that weekends football scores, popped into a newsagent and asked for a Pink. She looked at me like I was mad and said, 'we havent sold that for about ten years'. She probably thought i had been in cryonic suspension and thought Reagan was still president or something...
    Man, I remember my dad getting his fitba pink every Saturday evening. I loved reading it; that was lightning fast news back in the day. It simply isn’t needed now.

@hibs.net private member
    Man, I remember my dad getting his fitba pink every Saturday evening. I loved reading it; that was lightning fast news back in the day. It simply isn’t needed now.
    I remember they must have had a print deadline and when you bought the paper there were a few scores like, Scottish League 2, Berwick Rangers L v Arbroath L, Scottish League 1, Morton L v Hearts L 😁 and if you wanted the final score it was either Ceefax or wait until you got your Sunday papers

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    I remember they must have had a print deadline and when you bought the paper there were a few scores like, Scottish League 2, Berwick Rangers L v Arbroath L, Scottish League 1, Morton L v Hearts L 😁 and if you wanted the final score it was either Ceefax or wait until you got your Sunday papers
    Ceefax was great, live score updates. I used to watch Ceefax on a Saturday; it was brilliant when a late Hibs goal went in.

Ceefax was great, live score updates. I used to watch Ceefax on a Saturday; it was brilliant when a late Hibs goal went in.
    33 pages of results, waiting patiently for your team to come around again. The coupon was properly exciting in those days. 😊

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Pretty sure our first Bosman was Joe McLaughlin ?

Might be wrong

First UK Bosman transfer was Kano moving from Aberdeen to Viking Stavanger in 1996

Remember hiring videos?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 27-03-2024 at 08:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Part two is available now, we look at the second quarter of 1992 including Scotland at the Euros.

https://pod.fo/e/2339cc

https://youtu.be/SZJYN0J5QC4?si=xrBTI7Rmg2CNFlzO