hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Midfield

@hibs.net private member

Midfield

For the first time in a long while, we now seem to have a fully functioning, balanced midfield with so many decent players who each have their own strong attributes.

The question is, when all fit and available, who plays?

Triantis - has come in and done excellent in the deeper position
    Newell - had a decent season for the majority of it, couple of MOTM performances lately
    Moriah-Welsh - harshly sent off in his last start however has helped us massively since arriving in January
    Levitt - probably more poor games than good, particularly up at Dingwall midweek however will still have a part to play
    Marcondes - quality player who gives us something different and is great in the number 10 role, plays every week for me
    Amos - has looked ok when coming on in games however will probably be so far away from full fitness that we won’t see him properly until next season
    JDH - who knows when/if we will see him again

So who’s your 3?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Triantis, NMW, Marcondes, and Newell are one of the best midfield options in the league IMO. If we could keep Triantis and Marcondes somehow, tighten up the defence, and bring in a new striker I think we’re a very, very good team.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Triantis, NMW, Marcondes, and Newell are one of the best midfield options in the league IMO. If we could keep Triantis and Marcondes somehow, tighten up the defence, and bring in a new striker I think we’re a very, very good team.
    Agree with all of that. Who would be your 3?

I'd quite like to see Triantis , MW and Marcondes play together in a game.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Not sure it would be all that good

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibees View Post
    For the first time in a long while, we now seem to have a fully functioning, balanced midfield with so many decent players who each have their own strong attributes.

The question is, when all fit and available, who plays?

Triantis - has come in and done excellent in the deeper position
    Newell - had a decent season for the majority of it, couple of MOTM performances lately
    Moriah-Welsh - harshly sent off in his last start however has helped us massively since arriving in January
    Levitt - probably more poor games than good, particularly up at Dingwall midweek however will still have a part to play
    Marcondes - quality player who gives us something different and is great in the number 10 role, plays every week for me
    Amos - has looked ok when coming on in games however will probably be so far away from full fitness that we won’t see him properly until next season
    JDH - who knows when/if we will see him again

So who’s your 3?
    Triantis, Marcondes and someone not on the list for next season. A SJM type.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibees View Post
    Agree with all of that. Who would be your 3?
    Moriah-Welsh, Newell, Marcondes. I see NMW as the natural successor to McGinn and I could genuinely see him being that good considering he’s 21. He has everything and makes everyone look better around him through tireless work rate, positioning, and being a presence in both a defensive and attacking sense. I can’t quite believe we’ve got him on a permanent.

Newell on his day would make the squad for any team in this league.

Marcondes is a bit special.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    I think we'd struggle with deep progressions in transition with that midfield 3.

Triantis is good under pressure and has very quick feet, but he doesn't have newells ability to pass through the defensive lines into the final third - he played some excellent passes like this yesterday that triantis and NMW don't have in their locker imo.

Think for the rest of the season it should be Marcondes at 10, with Newell and one of either triantis or NMW (depending on form and the opposition) as the double pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Moriah-Welsh, Newell, Marcondes. I see NMW as the natural successor to McGinn and I could genuinely see him being that good considering he’s 21. He has everything and makes everyone look better around him through tireless work rate, positioning, and being a presence in both a defensive and attacking sense. I can’t quite believe we’ve got him on a permanent.

Newell on his day would make the squad for any team in this league.

Marcondes is a bit special.
    Marcondes has been a bit of a weird one for me so far.

He’s clearly a bit special like you say with alot of quality, but he’s not shown it nearly as much as I think everyone expects and his passing at times is so so slack.

His first touch passed and flicks are brilliant at times, but some of the short passes need to be a lot sharper.

Guessing it’s just him getting fit and sharp again,

No doubting his quality though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    I think we'd struggle with deep progressions in transition with that midfield 3.

Triantis is good under pressure and has very quick feet, but he doesn't have newells ability to pass through the defensive lines into the final third - he played some excellent passes like this yesterday that triantis and NMW don't have in their locker imo.

Think for the rest of the season it should be Marcondes at 10, with Newell and one of either triantis or NMW (depending on form and the opposition) as the double pivot.
    Downplaying Triantis’ ability on the ball a bit there IMO. Some of his football was superb on Wednesday night. And yesterday he was involved in keeping the ball moving all the time. Was him that played Le Fondre in at the first goal as well.

I agree that it’s Marcondes, Newell and one of the other two. That said, I think there could be an argument made to bring Moriah-Welsh in for Marcondes at Ibrox if we want to try and stop them playing first and foremost.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 17-03-2024 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

He’s clearly a bit special like you say with alot of quality, but he’s not shown it nearly as much as I think everyone expects and his passing at times is so so slack.

His first touch passed and flicks are brilliant at times, but some of the short passes need to be a lot sharper.

Creative players in advanced roles usually have more misplaced passes than not but it’s worth it for when it works. Not that worried about him.
    Welsh is the real bonus here though. We have needed a player like him for a long time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    I think we'd struggle with deep progressions in transition with that midfield.
    Is that you Lee?

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Agree with this. Clearly an extremely talented footballer but I’ve seen a few folk on here advocating spending really big money on wages for him, and I’m nowhere near that right now - would want to see a lot more.

I really like the look of Moriah-Welsh so far too, but even in his short time in the side he’s had a couple of performances where he’s been way off it. Very early days to be making big claims about him, but is an encouraging start.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 17-03-2024 at 09:14 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Downplaying Triantis’ ability on the ball a bit there IMO. Some of his football was superb on Wednesday night. And yesterday he was involved in keeping the ball moving all the time. Was him that played Le Fondre in at the first goal as well.

I agree that it’s Marcondes, Newell and one of the other two. That said, I think there could be an argument made to bring Moriah-Welsh in for Marcondes at Ibrox if we want to try and stop them playing first and foremost.
    Yip, Newell, M-W and Marcondes for most teams, and Triantis for Marcondes V the cheeks and then swap over if things require a shake up.

One of our first bits of business this summer should be trying to get M-W on a straight 4 year deal.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Agree with this. Clearly an extremely talented footballer but I’ve seen a few folk on here advocating spending really big money on wages for him, and I’m nowhere near that right now - would want to see a lot more.

I really like the look of Moriah-Welsh so far too, but even in his short time in the side he’s had a couple of performances where he’s been way off it. Very early days to be making big claims about him, but is an encouraging start.
    Agree.

Out of all the new players, Maolida has been the pick by a distance so far imo. Whether that would be the case longer term if they all stayed, who knows, but he’s been much more effective than Marcondes imo.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post

Agree with that in both players let's see where we are at the end of the season and what they have produced. Not sure Mariah Welsh is getting in front of Triantis any time soon. Think Triantis has been one of our most improved players since going into midfield. His passing not always the best but has imo improved that area of the team. Hope we get him next season.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Agree Jim, Triantis has looked very good in there of late. Thought he was MOTM on Saturday.