hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Wollacott

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've read some tosh on here recently but cmon eh.
    What a shocker. You just being rude instead of properly replying.

Marshall is a poor goalie. The stats back that up.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He's been better, made the odd decent save, but he's still pretty awful. Think Wallacott should get the rest of the season too.
    Think Marshall has been much improved and wouldn't be dropping him anytime soon for Wollacott.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

He is correct though

You must accept hes pulled off some decent saves in recent weeks and put his form slump behind him thought? I actually think were in a decent position at the moment, a decent, 6/10 up and down to 8/10veteran who can pass on knowledge to new signing (Wollacott) and promising youngster (Johnson)

First Team Breakthrough Broxburn Greens's Avatar
    Don’t get why folk are so keen to get the pitchforks and burning torches out for Marshall.

Solid goalkeeper who has made some cracking saves of late including saving a penalty in the cup tie (just a pity the rebound was bundled in).

People slate his hesitancy at times to throw the ball quick but he clearly sees opposition players in the line of what looks like a quick clearance and breaking opportunity from the stands. When he does throw it quick it usually connects and we do break.

Aye he’s made some mistakes but what keepers don’t? Arron Ramsdale springs to mind recently.

Dependable pair of hands, in the twilight of his career, I’d have him next season with a view to bringing on his replacement over the course of 24/25 with Marshall mentoring the lad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Pretty hard to get game time when Marshall has all the experience and hasn't really done anything wrong to suggest he shouldn't get the no.1 spot, I'm still of the belief we need a really good solid keeper better than both.
    Hasnt really done anything wrong lol

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Marshall has been poor tbis season but has been the least of our issues recently, but this is the 4th time(I think) where he has been injured either before or during a game, at his age once you start getting injuries it takes its toll

Coaching Staff
    I guess with Hanlon and Stevenson not getting a regular game the eyes of those looking for a replacement target will focus on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Allant1981 View Post
    Marshall has been poor tbis season but has been the least of our issues recently, but this is the 4th time(I think) where he has been injured either before or during a game, at his age once you start getting injuries it takes its toll
    I mentioned this last week and 1 or 2 folk seemed to imply it was nothing. A goalie being subbed 4 times in one season (and pulling out a game in a warm up too) in less than one season is just way too much.

His form has been decent in recent months but surely we need to be looking for somebody younger and better? We certainly can’t afford a run of form like he had at the end of last season and the start of this - he was a bag of nerves.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Jo Jo is away with Ghana squad for their 2 friendlies

Left by mutual consent!
    He's been better, made the odd decent save, but he's still pretty awful. Think Wallacott should get the rest of the season too.
    Disagree. Marshall needs a replacement for next season but the bits and bobs we've seen of Wollacott make me nervous. He looks jittery to me, like the jobs a bit too big for him.

I'd stick with Marshall, steady as we go in that dept.

He was awful for a few games a while back but this past 3 months he’s been anything but awful. I think Joe is an able deputy

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    You must accept hes pulled off some decent saves in recent weeks and put his form slump behind him thought? I actually think were in a decent position at the moment, a decent, 6/10 up and down to 8/10veteran who can pass on knowledge to new signing (Wollacott) and promising youngster (Johnson)
    Certainly made some good saves. Like a statue for a few he could've saved, though.

Don't think nearly a year is a form slump tbh. He's been mostly poor for his time here.

@hibs.net private member
    Certainly made some good saves. Like a statue for a few he could've saved, though.

Don't think nearly a year is a form slump tbh. He's been mostly poor for his time here.
    Agree, I wouldn’t argue against that he’s improved since December and he has made some important saves recently however I think I we where to add up mistakes or how many times you stand scratching your head at how the goal has gone in it would far outweigh the important saves he’s made and we really need a stronger goalkeeper than that, and we won’t get that from Wallacott either so I’d be looking for 2 for the summer

I’ve been impressed with Wollacott every time I’ve seen him.

Pre season he made a couple of really good saves and always looked assured. He should have been our number 1 for a while at the start of the season but unlucky he picked up an injury.

Even agains County when he made the blunder I thought he looked good and was really impressed with his distribution

Monty has gone on record saying he thinks that Marshall is one of the best keepers in the SPL.

Where does anyone think there is a better one?
    Last edited by RIP; 19-03-2024 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Monty has gone on record saying he thinks that Marshall is one of the best keepers in the SPL.

It would be surprising if Monty said anything else really. ‘My keeper is an old nag who needs put out to pasture with hands like polo mints’ wouldnt be in keeping with the positivity message.

@hibs.net private member

Where out there is a better one?
    He also praised Jair to the heavens and then replaced him first chance he got, probably not a good idea to tell the world the best keeper at the club is actually hopeless.

Marciano was a better keeper than Marshall we managed to find him I don’t think it would be to difficult a task to find another on his level or above, I actually think there’s not much between marsh and Matt Macey barring distribution favouring Marshall

https://fbref.com/en/comps/40/keeper...l_stats_keeper

Tells a story, of course you can intepret the stats however you like

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs90 View Post
    https://fbref.com/en/comps/40/keeper...l_stats_keeper

Tells a story, of course you can intepret the stats however you like
    …particularly 4th worst save percentage stacked against 4th most saves made! That last stat suggests we aren’t protecting him nearly as much as a team with our resources should be. Whereas the first stat suggests, well, thet hes not saving a lot either. Of course there are different levels of chances created, as you say, depends how you interpret.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    He also praised Jair to the heavens and then replaced him first chance he got, probably not a good idea to tell the world the best keeper at the club is actually hopeless.

Marciano was a better keeper than Marshall we managed to find him I don’t think it would be to difficult a task to find another on his level or above, I actually think there’s not much between marsh and Matt Macey barring distribution favouring Marshall
    Marshall is miles ahead of Macey - a quick look at their careers will tell you that.

In fact, I think Macey was largely awful. Not one for loads of obvious howlers but just below average and panicky at just about everything. When he arrived in goals we went from having never lost a headed goal for a season to losing them every week. He had a great skill of not coming for crosses but also not stopping the header going by him.

Marshall does make the odd mistake but is generally very composed and does make some big saves. Would be delighted to get better but it is such a tricky position to get right.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    Marshall is miles ahead of Macey - a quick look at their careers will tell you that.

In fact, I think Macey was largely awful. Not one for loads of obvious howlers but just below average and panicky at just about everything. When he arrived in goals we went from having never lost a headed goal for a season to losing them every week. He had a great skill of not coming for crosses but also not stopping the header going by him.

Marshall does make the odd mistake but is generally very composed and does make some big saves. Would be delighted to get better but it is such a tricky position to get right.
    Sliding doors moment but I wish we'd kept Bogdan. When he got a run in the team he looked the best all round goalie we'd had in an age. Calm, confident, did everything well. Think he had one early flap but after that he settled really well.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    Sliding doors moment but I wish we'd kept Bogdan. When he got a run in the team he looked the best all round goalie we'd had in an age. Calm, confident, did everything well. Think he had one early flap but after that he settled really well.

Agree entirely about Bogdan! Another goalie who I wish we had had for longer was Daniel Andersson.
    Last edited by CentreForward; 19-03-2024 at 10:25 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    He will be away in the summer
    Yip, if he was any good he'd have dislodged Marshall this season. Marshall has been okay, improved a bit lately, but nothing like un-droppable, The fact Wollacott hasn't managed to get into the team ahead of him tells me all I need to know.

You think there aren't any better goalies than Marshall anywhere? That is a surprising view to say the least, even taking into account his much better recent form.

He may not be our biggest problem, but if we could get a really high quality commanding goalie it would improve us considerably.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post

My comparison to Macey wasn’t to say Macey was good I just don’t think there has been that much of an improvement replacing Macey with Marsh especially with the difference in wage packets (I guess) between both, Marsh doesn’t command his area most recently proven at Ross County, Marsh at times looks a nervous wreck, sometimes it seems the ball has gone through him, I just think we should be looking for better than at least the 2 senior keepers we have, I don’t know much about Johnston or Boruc neither is assume are ready for 1st team football