hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Wollacott

@hibs.net private member

Joe Wollacott

Didn’t have a lot to do yesterday but came on at half time and started with a great stop. Was then solid for the remainder of the match. I would like to see him get a bit more game time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He made one bad mistake in a previous Ross County game. I did notice that his distribution was extremely good in that game, including some perfect long balls out wide to immediately threaten the opposing goal. Murray Johnson is an excellent keeper who will only get better, but id like to see more of Wollacott too.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Been really hard to say how good/bad he is as he never gets a run of games

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Would really need to see more of him in competitive games before passing judgement

Did some good things and some not so good yesterday ( booted the ball out of play at one point ) but overall did ok

Defo need a new reliable goalkeeper going into next season either as a starter or back up that can make a bold bid for the gloves

He doesn’t look a number 1 to me, very hesitant, and his distribution isn’t great.
    But as others have said, he’s hardly played.
    Last edited by HIBS NUTS; 17-03-2024 at 09:01 AM.

I quite like the look of him.

He looks very comfortable with the ball at his feet which is probably the biggest part of being a modern goalkeeper.

I'd like to see him get a run at some point. Marshall has largely been good this season but you know what you have with him. It would be good to see Wollacott get an extended run. Obviously as long as we have something to play for that's not likely as it will be what the manager considers his strongest team that will start.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Opinions eh

Over the course of 6 posts we've had his distribution is great and he comfortable with the ball at his feet to his distribution isn't great

For me had had 1 howler buts he's done fine otherwise - hard to judge given how his game time has panned out

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Opinions eh

Over the course of 6 posts we've had his distribution is great and he comfortable with the ball at his feet to his distribution isn't great

For me had had 1 howler buts he's done fine otherwise - hard to judge given how his game time has panned out

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    I thought he was very solid. Maybe overegged the save but I think that was as much for him being sure as needing to do it. Think it would be nearly unanimous to have Marciano back and his kicking from dead ball or hand was terrifying.
    Where I think he'll get a lot of support from the crowd is he seems to like to get the ball up the park far, and quickly. That should settle some the howls from the stands as opposed to what's chucked at Marsh playing out to Fish or Rocky...

I don't think he's good enough, no urgency, dodgy distribution and flaps at cross balls.

Did Marshall go off injured?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I don't think he's good enough, no urgency, dodgy distribution and flaps at cross balls.

Did Marshall go off injured?
    Had a stiff neck before the game so didn’t want to take any chances according to Montgomery.

Pretty hard to get game time when Marshall has all the experience and hasn't really done anything wrong to suggest he shouldn't get the no.1 spot, I'm still of the belief we need a really good solid keeper better than both.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Pretty hard to get game time when Marshall has all the experience and hasn't really done anything wrong to suggest he shouldn't get the no.1 spot, I'm still of the belief we need a really good solid keeper better than both.
    What about four days ago? 🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    YBH he's made a few bloopers since he came but obviously the manager feels his experience is essential for our young central defenders, as I said I hope we get better than both in for the summer.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    YBH he's made a few bloopers since he came but obviously the manager feels his experience is essential for our young central defenders, as I said I hope we get better than both in for the summer.
    Aye, agree with that.

@hibs.net private member
    Think we need 2 keepers in the summer, get Murray out on loan at a decent level, haven’t been impressed with Wollacott, difficult for him not getting many games but I think I’d rather we replaced him, I thought he looked poor in the preseason games in Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Think we need 2 keepers in the summer, get Murray out on loan at a decent level, haven’t been impressed with Wollacott, difficult for him not getting many games but I think I’d rather we replaced him, I thought he looked poor in the preseason games in Spain.
    Looking at his WIKI, he's a bit of a journeyman, when at Bristol City he was loaned out for 5 seasons to lower league teams, a decent few games at Swindon and just 16 at Charlton, 10 seasons and 129 games at 27 years old.

Looking at his WIKI, he's a bit of a journeyman, when at Bristol City he was loaned out for 5 seasons to lower league teams, a decent few games at Swindon and just 16 at Charlton, 10 seasons and 129 games at 27 years old.
    I'd rather a keeper with a load of lower league seasons games under his belt, travelling around is a good way of learning the trade I think, better than training every day in a bigger club with better players and facilities but not getting the game time. Just looking at who he was up against, at Swindon he was behind their player of the season Sol Brynn owned by Middlesbrough, (another 'permanent loan' guy who has been at 4 different teams in 2 years). At Charlton he was behind Scott Fraser, ex Dundee Utd keeper now warming the manky bench at Tynecastle, but actually Wollacott got 20 league games last season so was used regularly, and the Charlton forums were quite positive about him.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I'd rather a keeper with a load of lower league seasons games under his belt, travelling around is a good way of learning the trade I think, better than training every day in a bigger club with better players and facilities but not getting the game time. Just looking at who he was up against, at Swindon he was behind their player of the season Sol Brynn owned by Middlesbrough, (another 'permanent loan' guy who has been at 4 different teams in 2 years). At Charlton he was behind Scott Fraser, ex Dundee Utd keeper now warming the manky bench at Tynecastle, but actually Wollacott got 20 league games last season so was used regularly, and the Charlton forums were quite positive about him.
    I must admit that when Marshall was having a good few poor games earlier, I was surprised Jojo didn't force his way into the manager's thoughts, he only seems to get a game when Marsh's injured.

He will be away in the summer

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Scott Fraser isn't a goalie he is an attacking midfielder

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    Personally think that was Obita fault.

Would need a run of games to show his capabilities did well enough yesterday tho

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Scott Fraser isn't a goalie he is an attacking midfielder
    Oh dear, that makes a mess of my research credentials get the right position. Apologies, Ashley Maynard Brewer as im sure youve found out, was the starter for them. Another guy whos bounced around on loan, not sure what my point is anymore mind

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    A bit strange when Marshall has been consistently average he's not gotten more of a chance, although doesn't mean he's not good enough. Some managers will refuse to change keeper until its absolutely necessary.

Have a feeling he will go at the end of the season and we will never actually know. Can't judge him on the mistake the game he played earlier this season, he'd had a delayed start, first proper chance, everyone makes mistakes and just a shame he's a keeper, so his are noticeable.

I'd give him the run in, see what he's got. He might turn out to be half decent, he must have something to play at champ level in England and internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    A bit strange when Marshall has been consistently average he's not gotten more of a chance, although doesn't mean he's not good enough. Some managers will refuse to change keeper until its absolutely necessary.

Have a feeling he will go at the end of the season and we will never actually know. Can't judge him on the mistake the game he played earlier this season, he'd had a delayed start, first proper chance, everyone makes mistakes and just a shame he's a keeper, so his are noticeable.

I'd give him the run in, see what he's got. He might turn out to be half decent, he must have something to play at champ level in England and internationally.
    That mistake will be remembered but he had a decent game that night. I would have liked to have seen him get a run at that point.

Such is the life of the keeper that a mistake is generally costly and anything done before that is forgotten.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I disagree with your first line. I think Marshall has been one of our best players since Christmas.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I disagree with your first line. I think Marshall has been one of our best players since Christmas.
    I don't agree, but I get why others see that. I think he's been better since Christmas, but overall his spell hasn't been great at all at Hibs and a few ok months isn't enough to convince me otherwise.

Oh dear, that makes a mess of my research credentials get the right position. Apologies, Ashley Maynard Brewer as im sure youve found out, was the starter for them. Another guy whos bounced around on loan, not sure what my point is anymore mind

I don't agree, but I get why others see that. I think he's been better since Christmas, but overall his spell hasn't been great at all at Hibs and a few ok months isn't enough to convince me otherwise.
    He's been better, made the odd decent save, but he's still pretty awful. Think Wallacott should get the rest of the season too.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He's been better, made the odd decent save, but he's still pretty awful. Think Wallacott should get the rest of the season too.
    I've read some tosh on here recently but cmon eh.