hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Goal Difference - Missed Opportunity

Now I'm delighted with the result and first half performance today. But I cant help but feel we've missed a great opportunity to really boost our goal difference. There were a lot of subs made today, and I get that the game was won and its good to rest players an give others a chance.

But - St Mirren are 3 goals better off than us and Kilmarnock even more so. Goal difference could be vital for securing a European spot. Livvy were so ***** bad today that I think we really should have went for it in that second half, I think the subs really took the stuffing out the team.

2. Log in to remove the advert

There’s always one.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now I'm delighted with the result and first half performance today. But I cant help but feel we've missed a great opportunity to really boost our goal difference. There were a lot of subs made today, and I get that the game was won and its good to rest players an give others a chance.

But - St Mirren are 3 goals better off than us and Kilmarnock even more so. Goal difference could be vital for securing a European spot. Livvy were so ***** bad today that I think we really should have went for it in that second half, I think the subs really took the stuffing out the team.
    Fwiw, I agree.

Missed opportunity.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Three games in six days - and our squad is looking thin. Totally understand protecting Marshall, Cadden, Myziane (who is observing Ramadan), ALF and the like.

It’s balancing risk and reward and our reward was three points and three better on GD, seemingly without any serious injuries.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

My only issue was taking Maolida off when he did…. As I had him to score a hat trick!!!

Monty oot 😁

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    My only issue was taking Maolida off when he did…. As I had him to score a hat trick!!!

Monty oot 😁
    Hahaha me too - Cost me a Rolex

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Do think we should have gone for it a bit more second half. First 15 minutes or so for sure.

Subs I get though. Protecting players who are either just back from injury or are as important as it gets.

Massive three games coming up. Feel dirty wanting the huns to win tomorrow, but I hope they score for fun.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post

Monty oot 😁
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    There’s always one.
    Is there any point to that post? If you disagree then fair enough but say why. I would expect better from you TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Three games in six days - and our squad is looking thin. Totally understand protecting Marshall, Cadden, Myziane (who is observing Ramadan), ALF and the like.

It’s balancing risk and reward and our reward was three points and three better on GD, seemingly without any serious injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Do think we should have gone for it a bit more second half. First 15 minutes or so for sure.

Subs I get though. Protecting players who are either just back from injury or are as important as it gets.

Massive three games coming up. Feel dirty wanting the huns to win tomorrow, but I hope they score for fun.
    Yeah totally agree with both of you - I just really hope goal difference isn't an issue come end of season, because the way we started we could have taken 6 or 7 off them, and we def took our foot off the gas second half with the subs.

I said the same during the game.

But to be fair, we had to replace Maolida with Jair which weakened us a lot in the final third. Cadden going off relatively early as well who had been a threat all day. And we had players, Fish and Newell particularly, who looked absolutely done having played every minute of the three games in less than six full days.

Marshall , Maolida and Cadden were all taken off as precaution due to not being 100% . Goal difference might come down to it though it would be worse if we lost key players long-term chasing a game that was already won . Good management from Monty imo .

Yeah totally agree with both of you - I just really hope goal difference isn't an issue come end of season, because the way we started we could have taken 6 or 7 off them, and we def took our foot off the gas second half with the subs.
    Montgomery said Maolida had a tight hammy and Cadden was obviously just done. I’d probably have left Alf on for the last 10 or so though.

There was a chance to really build on that first half and score a few more second half, we didn't which was slightly disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Marshall , Maolida and Cadden were all taken off as precaution due to not being 100% . Goal difference might come down to it though it would be worse if we lost key players long-term chasing a game that was already won . Good management from Monty imo .
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Montgomery said Maolida had a tight hammy and Cadden was obviously just done. I’d probably have left Alf on for the last 10 or so though.
    Yeah very fair points. Just when you go three up after 22 mins its a bit frustrating not to add to that.

Yeah very fair points. Just when you go three up after 22 mins its a bit frustrating not to add to that.
    Get what your saying about goal difference and 2nd half was frustrating a bit though not worth taking the risk as Monty points out .
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...-3-0-over-livi

Got the game won early and did a professional job seeing it out and rested players. No doubt if he'd kept the subbed players on instead there would have been a thread started suggesting he'd got it wrong and was risking injuring players, even if none had got injured.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Prior to today we had scored the same amount of goals as third placed Hearts the only issue is we have conceded more goals so there lies the problem
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 16-03-2024 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Got the game won early and did a professional job seeing it out and rested players. No doubt if he'd kept the subbed players on instead there would have been a thread started suggesting he'd got it wrong and was risking injuring players, even if none had got injured.
    Just on the subbed players I was abit disappointed in Jair when he came on , felt it was an opportunity for him to impress though he didn't really do alot I felt .

Just on the subbed players I was abit disappointed in Jair when he came on , felt it was an opportunity for him to impress though he didn't really do alot I felt .
    When he looked like he might do something they fouled him. Two bookings in 2 minutes for fouls on him IIRC.

We would all have taken 3-0 before kick off :p

I think fair changes, much worse if we had to go into the next 3 games with key players out.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    He managed to get kicked up and down the park. The treatment he got was brutal.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    When he looked like he might do something they fouled him. Two bookings in 2 minutes for fouls on him IIRC.
    Yes . I thought he did well when he came on . Was constantly fouled ( surely far more than 2 fouls on him ? ) but by then rest of team had settled for 3 v 0 and we didn`t make most of free kicks he won for us . Anyway good to see him getting some time in team as I think he could be important in rest of season and looks very motivated whether starting or coming on as a sub .

Just on the subbed players I was a bit disappointed in Jair when he came on , felt it was an opportunity for him to impress though he didn't really do alot I felt .
    Agree with this to a certain extent - he got himself into good positions but then didn't excel once there

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    He managed to get kicked up and down the park. The treatment he got was brutal.
    But also agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Yes . I thought he did well when he came on . Was constantly fouled ( surely far more than 2 fouls on him ? ) but by then rest of team had settled for 3 v 0 and we didn`t make most of free kicks he won for us . Anyway good to see him getting some time in team as I think he could be important in rest of season and looks very motivated whether starting or coming on as a sub .
    There were more than 2 fouls on him but 2 were bookings. They were late on so didn't matter much. He made one or 2 mistakes, probably due to rustiness which is understandable. I though he looked quite tricky and caused them a few problems, hence all the fouls.
    Last edited by 007; 16-03-2024 at 09:38 PM.

I kind of agree with the OP here.

The team Livvi put out yesterday was probably the weakest one to visit Easter Road in the league this season and it showed. To not add to the score after half time was disappointing IMO ... It's not often you leave ER feeling a wee bit deflated after a 3 - 0 win, but I have to admit that's how I felt.

It was as if some of the players started playing for themselves rather than staying organised and looking to get a job done. EG why Cadden chose not to roll the ball to ALF who had a clear shot from about 10 yards and instead tried to force a shot from a tight angle only he will know, you could see the frustration written all over ALF's face. I'm willing to bet there was a 'chat' in the dressing room afterwards.

It's been a long time since a team visiting ER was so obviously there for the taking. If this club is to get where it want's to be an ability to ram home an advantage when it presents itself is something it has to learn. The uglies or even Hearts would probably have taken at least 5 off of that team, possibly more.

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar

I get what you are saying as I was thinking a bit like this at 3-0. If we’d got a 4th it might have allowed us to go for it but I think the longer it was at 3 keeping a clean sheet was a slightly bigger priority for a couple of reasons - main one was the psychy of it. At 3 had we gone for it we might’ve lost one and if the team are anything like us fans they might have pooed themselves (I would have given our defensive history thus far in the season) - just my thoughts TBH

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    The Half time subs were enforced as was at least one other. It obviously affected the momentum and Livingston were always going to try and get a goal back and try and play further forward. More goals would have been good but a clean sheet feels better.

We were so far on top I was honestly surprised we didn't win by more.

Not gonna complain, though, as it was nice to see Hibs so dominant, even if the opposition were poor.

I totally agree, we missed a great opportunity yesterday to increase our goals for difference. Here's hoping that we don't live to regret it, come the end off the season.