hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rules are fine, refs are not.

Referees get proper performance reviews and if they aren't up to it, pay them off.
    I can't agree with you there , the offside rule could be a lot better and the handball rule is beyond a joke now . Both are spoiling games on a regular basis.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    Except for incidents of violent conduct/serious foul play in the penalty box, where the attacking side if awarded a penalty and where the defending side's player is shown a red card for 'denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity' the defender is only sent off IF the attacking side fail to score the penalty.

Currently it's a double punishment - an attacker is about to score, is brought down and the defending side can then be a goal AND a player down. If the penalty is missed or saved then the attacking side play against 10 men, not both.
    I'm pretty sure if the defender is last man and gives away a pen they cannot be sent off as it is double punishment.

However if it's outside the box it's a red.

Happened yesterday in the Chelsea game

Sent from my SM-A426U1 using Tapatalk

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    I'm pretty sure if the defender is last man and gives away a pen they cannot be sent off as it is double punishment.

Happened in the last derby last season. Initially penalty and yellow card, VARed to free kick and red card.

But that doesn’t solve the problem. If it’s penalty and a yellow now, for fouls in the box, then if the penalty is saved then it’s advantage the defending team. My suggestion is it’s a red if the attacking team don’t score. FWIW the internet says ‘denying a clear goal scoring opportunity’ is a red card AND penalty.

@hibs.net private member
    They can be sent off if they’ve not made a “genuine” attempt at winning the ball.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Porteous got sent off at Pittodrie for giving away a penalty and denying goalscoring opportunity:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...r-four-matches

Its only meant to be a red if you don't go for the ball and just deliberately impede the opponent to prevent them scoring. Porto clearly went for the ball (but made hash of it) - so should have been a yellow. As usual we got xxxxxxx by a ref who got the decision wrong - then we appealed and somehow that got rejected and Porto got an extra ban to doubly **** us.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Porteous got sent off at Pittodrie for giving away a penalty and denying goalscoring opportunity:

Its only meant to be a red if you don't go for the ball and just deliberately impede the opponent to prevent them scoring. Porto clearly went for the ball (but made hash of it) - so should have been a yellow. As usual we got xxxxxxx by a ref who got the decision wrong - then we appealed and somehow that got rejected and Porto got an extra ban to doubly **** us.
    The Porteous red at Ibrox was worse because the reverse angle clearly showed that he got the ball and the Hun then tripped over Porteous' knees instead of avoiding him.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Rules? Hibs? Pah!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensunshine View Post
    Ye I’ve heard about that. I think they need to bring in a rule that makes the game more exciting. This is definitely one.
    I'd go one better and do away with offside altogether plenty goals in every game.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    The Porteous red at Ibrox was worse because the reverse angle clearly showed that he got the ball and the Hun then tripped over Porteous' knees instead of avoiding him.
    Aye agreed, I still don't think it was even a foul - the worst thing about that one was the character assassination in the press of Porteous after the game, with hordes of hun leaning pundits coming out to say what a bad tackle it was and how much of a crazy ******* Porto was....ultimately to justify an incorrect decision and keep the narrative going that Rangers don't get favours from refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Rules? Hibs? Pah!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    I never really thought we were that hard done by over the years, but the more and more you think about the more clear examples keep popping up.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Fair enough.

I have an issue with the fact that we've done away with the concept of being "level" - where I've always felt like if you're "level" then you're onside and deserve the benefit of the doubt, which is much more as you describe.

I'm hating goals being ruled out for the farcically minimal offsides, often after a lengthy delay.
    I’d argue that keeping the offside rules as they are, but actually doing away with drawn lines to examine offside calls. Have an official looking at replays to help the referee, but if a players level as the eye sees it then he’s level. If he’s off then he’ll look off.

Examining lines for minute detail even with the new proposal just brings the same problems in reverse. A player miles offside but the heel of his boot might just be playing him on. Nothing changes .

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I’d argue that keeping the offside rules as they are, but actually doing away with drawn lines to examine offside calls. Have an official looking at replays to help the referee, but if a players level as the eye sees it then he’s level. If he’s off then he’ll look off.

Examining lines for minute detail even with the new proposal just brings the same problems in reverse. A player miles offside but the heel of his boot might just be playing him on. Nothing changes .
    Can't do that, as camera angles and different perspectives throw the eye off. Would be loads of wrong decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I’d seriously consider doing away with the penalty. It’s a cheats charter and you’d eliminate over half of the most debated decisions in the game.
    Absolutely.A free kick wherever the foul was is much fairer and probably hugely entertaining.

That change to the offside rule is just stupid. Giving strikers a yard start will ruin the game. Defenders will start camping out on 18yard lines. We will be back doing long punt football like the 70s.

As some have said already I would like to see VAR checks being initiated by the teams and not the officials. But only a couple of opportunities to request a situation to be looked at to stop frivolous requests at every decisive incident. If upheld then still have same number of opportunities remaining. I would also go further and make it that the team should specify exactly what they want looked at, for example offside, foul play on x player. At the moment it feels every situation is being poured over looking for any reason. Only the specified reason in the protest should be explored by VAR.

secondly, more fan centred with all discussions between officials broadcast in the stadium and images displayed on the screens with what they are basing their decisions. Dare I say more in line with the way it is done in rugby. Whilst they also may not always get it right at least there is more transparancy and recognition of the supporters in the stadium to know what is going on.

Everything else I can live with so long as applied fairly to everyone.

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    I remember they introduced the 18 yard offside line in Scotland for the Drybrough Cup and the 1974/75 League Cup. suited attacking teams, Hibs and Celtic contested three finals.
    Those games were great, especially the 5 - 3 final
    Some people say I display apathy, but I don’t care what they think.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Their second pen that game first one came off Rockys thigh then hand. Alan Muir again. The decision to extend Portos ban was ridiculous. Ryan Kent appealed was turned down with no extension after punching Scott Brown

@hibs.net private member ElginHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Absolutely.A free kick wherever the foul was is much fairer and probably hugely entertaining.
    I'm old enough to remember the spate of indirect free kicks in the box when the pass back rule was introduced. They were exciting without being total gimmes.