hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All of the others I can see the reasoning (whether I agree with it or not), but what's the argument for this one? To let folk get an earlier bus?
    The main reason seemed to be that more often than not both teams don't want to lose the game at that stage and it becomes a cagey tedious borefest. I think that's probably true in the main with some noticeable exceptions.

The other thing mentioned (& don't shoot the messanger) was it would be appealing for the tv companies - better for their scheduling (no more 'news to follow') plus more instances of the drama of penalty kicks.

Personally, quite liked Golden Goal the tournament they done that. A 'next goal the winner' type for any youngsters that never seen it

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    The Wenger offside proposal. If any part of you is in line then you are onside. Boyle's goal in the semi V Aberdeen should never ever be getting ruled out.
    You'd still have dodgy borderline decisions and you'd introduce a new style of running for attackers, with one arm stretched out behind you as far as possible, like you're about to receive the baton in a relay race. Same as we now have a new style for defenders with hands behind their backs.
    Actually, come to think of it, we could have a handcuff rule - all players handcuffed behind their backs (apart from the goalie who is allowed one free hand). No hand balls, no stray hands in the face, no grappling at corners and no tugs on shirts. Think I'm on to something there.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    New rule- ban freemasons from becoming referees, Policemen or SFA officials...the change in Scottish Football would be mind blowing.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I’d seriously consider doing away with the penalty. It’s a cheats charter and you’d eliminate over half of the most debated decisions in the game.
    I've never thought of this before, but i like it. I'd modify it slightly to give free kicks for those daft hand balls and fouls that are not clear goalscoring decisions.

Only give a penalty if its a clear goalscoring chance, anything else is just a free kick.

I’d seriously consider doing away with the penalty. It’s a cheats charter and you’d eliminate over half of the most debated decisions in the game.
    Penalties are fine. It’s part of the excitement of the game. The real problem is players that’ll cheat their Granny to win one and referees who are so easily conned.
    We need to stop allowing referees into the game that don’t know the game. We’ve witnessed a shocker recently at Tynie.
    Vargas going down like he’s been shot by a sniper because he’d been tapped by a trailing ankle.
    That referee shouldn’t be allowed to ref ever again after that!
    Vargas should be banned for five matches for bringing the game into disrepute!

@hibs.net private member
    Tavernier would be looking for a job if that happened

Rules are fine, refs are not.

Referees get proper performance reviews and if they aren't up to it, pay them off.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Speaking of altering the penalty rules, when did anybody last witness a free kick given inside the box? Have they become extinct?

Gamer IDs

[QUOTE=Onceinawhile;7615424]If your team is time-wasting and you make a substation, and the player going off is taking too long, the player coming on should be booked on their behalf.[/QUOTE

That would be electrifying…

Gamer IDs

Substitutions:

You can’t ask for one until your player is stripped and ready on the line. When the board goes up your sub goes straight on the field and play recommences immediately. The player coming off can play no further part in the game and has ten seconds to get off otherwise he’s yellow carded. Red carded if he interferes with play on way off.

Kills sub-related time wasting stone dead.

One not mentioned is how we determine whether a ball is in play or not. I can't forget the Japan goal v Germany in the World Cup, the ball was on the ground and there was clear green grass between the ball and the line but from the camera angle above the ball was touching the line.....ball considered in play by VAR and goal given. The rule as it is worded in fine in a pre VAR world but if we are going to have camera's at several different angles then it is going to cause confusion.
    In a post VAR world we probably need so tweaking with the rule book just to make the rules more concrete, subjective doesn't work and there is no rule of president in football.

Making it that if any part of a forward is in line with the last man it puts him onside is a no brainer IMO. Players being given offside because a toe or a finger is 'offside' is ridiculous. You have to wonder what the scoring record of Gerd Muller or Pele would look like if VAR had been a thing back in the day.

Hell, even if you changed the rule to make it a player is only offside if the leg nearest his own goal is in advance of the last defender would make a huge difference, it would probably make at least half of the goals ruled out as offside this season legitimate goals.

On a personal note. Make it that keepers cant touch the ball with any part of their body outside of either the box. That would nip sweeper keepers in the bud, but still allow keepers to go up for last minute corners and score.

Under consideration apparently - on trial in several countries too I think!
    Ahh!

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Rules are fine, refs are not.

Referees get proper performance reviews and if they aren't up to it, pay them off.
    Yes to this. At game yesterday, Hibs given FK on left wing right below West Stand.

Ref no taller than 5 ft 8 inches marks spot for ball, then he takes 8 (Eight) strolling steps forward and marks line for Livi players. Not a chance it was even close to being 10 yards (7 if you are lucky) and the ref knew it. Blatant cheating by the ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensunshine View Post
    The offside rule is killing the game.

I’d put a line across both eighteen yard lines and make it if any part of your body is over that line, then your off.

It would open up space instead of twenty players bunched up into 20 or 30 yards!
    I remember they introduced the 18 yard offside line in Scotland for the Drybrough Cup and the 1974/75 League Cup. suited attacking teams, Hibs and Celtic contested three finals.

Just watched the young lad Amad score the winner in extra time of the F.A Cup for Man United.

He goes and celebrates quite rightly with his own supporters and gets a wee bit carried away by taking his top off!

Resulting in a second yellow card = sent off

What a joke!

I’m a Liverpool supporter and totally understand why he’s lost it. Absolutely no need to be booking players for this!

Can we please change this stupid rule and have some common sense!

Why are the authorities trying to kill the game we all love? I really don’t get it!

Well done to Man United btw!
    Last edited by Greensunshine; 17-03-2024 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    I remember they introduced the 18 yard offside line in Scotland for the Drybrough Cup and the 1974/75 League Cup. suited attacking teams, Hibs and Celtic contested three finals.
    Ye I’ve heard about that. I think they need to bring in a rule that makes the game more exciting. This is definitely one.

@hibs.net private member
    I would keep Var, only because it’s easier for them to cheat without it. At least when they cheat using var it does get brought up through commentary and by pundits. If it keeps happening it will need to change and they won’t get away with it

@hibs.net private member ElginHibee's Avatar
    I've thought for a while that with VAR the offside rule is outdated, the Wenger rule should be implemented.

Looking at handball would be good, not just for the silly penalties but players running around like idiots with their hands behind their backs does my nut in. The natural/unnatural position thing is stupid. We've seen the Triantis (I think) pen where his arm was across the front of his body shielding himself from a deflection (obviously deemed unnatural) to the non-pen against Aberdeen where the players arm was trailing behind him moving towards the ball which they must have deemed natural. It's crazy.

Fouling in the box needs looked at. The attacking player has all the advantage. They take a dive/go over easy and they lose pretty much nothing unless they are standing on the goal line. If the defender falls over for contact they probably lose a goal if the FK isn't given. Think of how physical forwards can throw their weight around in 1-on-1s with no consequence. It's incentivising cheats.

Head knocks are hard, the minute you start ignoring head knocks deemed fake, someone will get badly hurt (just look at Boyle against the huns). If you add a temp sub rule, I would bet teams will abuse it at the end of games to get an extra sub/make tactical changes when it suits. Having teams go down to 10 men also is tricky, I'd be boiling if a Hibs player gets a legit head knock and we basically get reduced to 10 men. Although, thinking it through as I type this, with 5 subs maybe managers would have to learn to keep one free just in case. You need to be careful you don't force players to play through legitimate concussion though. The cheating by abusing the system is the problem. One game recently (maybe Ross County?) a player went down after heading the ball cleanly and the ref stopped play, that's mental.

I hate diving/falling over easy, even when our players do it, I'd love that to be addressed somehow. I thought there was supposed to be retrospective punishments for simulation? Even with the Vargas pen, although there was contact he absolutely exaggerated it, that should be a retrospective punishment that hurts.
    Last edited by ElginHibee; 18-03-2024 at 01:13 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Penalties have to be taken by the player fouled or in instances where a cross or shot has been handled then the player shooting/crossing has to take it.

No real logic to this other than my extreme dislike of seeing Tavernier held up as some outstanding goalscorer of his time when he's a penalty merchant!

Wenger rule for offside
    stop the clock when the ball is out of play (like EVERY other sport)
    Clock is visible to all and reduce in game time to 60 mins
    Take 6 yards off pen box. D would not have to be changed
    indirect free kick in box for non goal scoring fouls (pens are my big peev)
    if a player goes down for a head knock, he is subbed off for safety
    refs mic’d up. This is a must. What are they hiding?
    pay for professional refs. That’s how you get good ones

I'd like for a foul to only be when a player deliberately attempts to gain an advantage by acting unfairly. Is that not the very definition but we seem to have forgotten somehow.

There are far too many fouls with players just going down under any contact buying fouls, daft pens for non-deliberate hand ball flicks, offside lines poured over to the millimetre when 40 yards from goal when the striker can't even see the last defender. Non of those scenarios has the penalised player deliberately sought to gain advantage by cheating.

Bin VAR/ go back to the advantage with the attacking player.

I see a lot of backing for the Wenger rule here... but will that really solve anything? There will still be the delays as they look for the tiny offsides in a slightly different area.

There will be more goals (until the players learn to adapt) but most of the VAR issues will remain.

@hibs.net private member ElginHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pepe View Post
    Already saw EPL managers bitching about the 10 mins of added time being tough on their players this season, imagine them having to play a full 90!

I would absolutely go for the time clock being visible for all to see, the more openness and accountability, the better. With modern technology it can't be hard.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I see a lot of backing for the Wenger rule here... but will that really solve anything? There will still be the delays as they look for the tiny offsides in a slightly different area.

There will be more goals (until the players learn to adapt) but most of the VAR issues will remain.
    You are right it won't solve those issues but what it will do is return the offside rule to as close as it was pre var, which I think is a good thing. The Boyle disallowed goal in the semi v Sheep was onside pre var and I feel its so harsh that had to be disallowed given that it would have been allowed for several decades previous to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Sixty minute game, two halves of 30. Clock stopped whenever ball is not active.

Will kill time wasting dead.
    This. Its mental we haven't changed to this way of running a game of football. The ball is actually never in play for 60 mins. Get a countdown clock and just ensure we play the full countdown. Just so easy to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by pepe View Post
    Wenger rule for offside
    Take 6 yards off pen box. D would not have to be changed
    indirect free kick in box for non goal scoring fouls (pens are my big peev)
    if a player goes down for a head knock, he is subbed off for safety
    refs mic’d up. This is a must. What are they hiding?
    pay for professional refs. That’s how you get good ones
    As others have pointed out the Wenger rule doesn't improve anything, it just marginally shifts the point at which close calls are made. The VAR decisions would take just as long and be just as contentious.

Rugby and American football are among games which don't always stop the clock when the ball is not in play.

Having a fixed time in play would slow the game further as coaches would delay set plays while they did a bit of coaching. The next step would be timeouts. Only counting time the ball is in play implies that all the movement players do to find space just before a set piece is taken is not part of the game, which is nonsense.

Refs are already professional on a good wage. If it was a full-time job what would they spend their time doing outside the few hours when they're actually working at a game?

You are right it won't solve those issues but what it will do is return the offside rule to as close as it was pre var, which I think is a good thing. The Boyle disallowed goal in the semi v Sheep was onside pre var and I feel its so harsh that had to be disallowed given that it would have been allowed for several decades previous to that.
    Fair enough.

I have an issue with the fact that we've done away with the concept of being "level" - where I've always felt like if you're "level" then you're onside and deserve the benefit of the doubt, which is much more as you describe.

I'm hating goals being ruled out for the farcically minimal offsides, often after a lengthy delay.

Except for incidents of violent conduct/serious foul play in the penalty box, where the attacking side if awarded a penalty and where the defending side's player is shown a red card for 'denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity' the defender is only sent off IF the attacking side fail to score the penalty.

Currently it's a double punishment - an attacker is about to score, is brought down and the defending side can then be a goal AND a player down. If the penalty is missed or saved then the attacking side play against 10 men, not both.

Oh and what about a definition of what a 'clear and obvious' error actually means for VAR interventions?