hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rule changes in football

What rule changes would you make in football? Football is the beautiful game so good argument for leaving well alone but seen some proposed ideas lately.

From PLZ Soccer - getting rid of extra time in cup competitions. 90 min games and straight to penalties (perhaps with exception of Finals)

From guy on Down The Slope poscast* - talking about the skewed risk and reward for some penalty calls. Scoring a penalty massively affects the game, or wins the game but there is no differential between a handball on the line or brought down by keeper to a hip bump at the edge of the box or accidental handball that doesn't stop the opponents getting a chance. Could we not have a goal scoring chance stopped in box as a penalty and innocuous infringements being indirect free kicks in the box. Of course would still be controversial subjective calls but there are now and there would be less so.

.Net poster (apologies - forget name) in wake of Ross County debacle, sector lines at the sides to limit stealing yards at throw ins. Thought that was a good idea

Injury time. Someone is totting up injury time. I would like to see it totted up individually for each team. Game is 90 mins and the injury time played at end shouldn't include the time wasted by the team losing at 90 mins.

Also - the obvious, scrap VAR or keep for offsides and goal line tech only.
    If keeping VAR, I would scrap the use of still images as it loses the context of the play. Ref should judge it in the real world. So if they make a mistake (because they never seen at all or seen a poor angle) call them to the monitor and play it again. Play it from each available angle - but with proviso always at game speed.

*other podcasts available, avid listener of Longbangers and The Ramble too, great Hibs content- get yourselves subscribed ��
    Last edited by McGruber; 16-03-2024 at 01:34 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I would keep it simple and just revert back to the same rules for everyone rather than the VAR enabled two tier system adopted in Scotland in recent times.

A one rule for all would be welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would keep it simple and just revert back to the same rules for everyone rather than the VAR enabled two tier system adopted in Scotland in recent times.

A one rule for all would be welcomed.
    I would aim for the impossible and introduce the same rules for everyone instead of officials favouring the Ugly Sisters both before and during VAR.

On a more achievable level, I'd like to see a proper advantage rule so that there isn't the present incentive for players to exaggerate contact to get the foul, particularly in the box.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Since authorities are trying their best to make football a non contact sport players should don those big bubbles, at least it would be entertaining IMG_5271.jpg
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 16-03-2024 at 09:10 AM.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    The Wenger offside proposal. If any part of you is in line then you are onside. Boyle's goal in the semi V Aberdeen should never ever be getting ruled out.

Wenger rule in .
    Change the ridiculous handball rule .
    Get rid of VAR asap .
    Recruit and train full time referees from all parts of Scotland and get rid of the corrupt ones we have who bend the rules we have frequently anyhow.
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 16-03-2024 at 09:34 AM.

I’ve said for years, take a leaf out of rugbys book… If the ball is out of play the clock stops. Gets rid of Injury time, time wasting and you're paying to watch 90 minutes of football.

However, obviously you would need another official to be the “Timekeeper” soooo it will still be somehow compromised !

If your team is time-wasting and you make a substation, and the player going off is taking too long, the player coming on should be booked on their behalf.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Have the time over the 45 shown on the clock instead of stopping at 45/90

First Team Breakthrough Seekyit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    What rule changes would you make in football. Football is the beautiful game so good argument for leaving well alone but seen some proposed ideas lately.

From PLZ soccer - getting rid of extra time in cup competitions. 90 min games and straight to penalties (perhaps with exception of Finals)

From guy on Down The Slope poscast* - talking about the skewed risk and reward for some penalty calls. Scoring a penalty massively affects the game, or wins the game but there is no differential between a handball on the line or brought down by keeper to a hip bump at the edge of the box or accidental handball that doesn't stop the opponents getting a chance. Could we not have a goalscoring chance stopped in box as a penalty and innocuous infringemnts being indirect free kicks in box. Of course would still be controversial subjective calls but there are now and there would be less so.

.Net poster (apologies - forget name) in wake of Ross County debacle, sector lines at the sides to limit stealing yards at throw ins. Thought that was a good idea

Injury time. Someone is totting up injury time. I would like to see it totted up individually for each team. Game is 90 mins and the injury time played at end shouldn't include the time wasted by the team losing at 90 mins.

If keeping VAR, I would scrap the use of still images as it loses the context of the play. Ref should judge it in the real world. So if they make a mistake (because they never seen at all or seen a poor angle) call them to the monitor and play it again. Play it from each available angle - but with proviso always at game speed.

*other podcasts available, avid listener of Longbangers and The Ramble too, great Hibs content- get yourselves subscribed 👍
    Am I right in saying we don't have this in Scotland?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I’d seriously consider doing away with the penalty. It’s a cheats charter and you’d eliminate over half of the most debated decisions in the game.

What rule changes would you make in football. Football is the beautiful game so good argument for leaving well alone but seen some proposed ideas lately.

From PLZ soccer - getting rid of extra time in cup competitions. 90 min games and straight to penalties (perhaps with exception of Finals)

From guy on Down The Slope poscast* - talking about the skewed risk and reward for some penalty calls. Scoring a penalty massively affects the game, or wins the game but there is no differential between a handball on the line or brought down by keeper to a hip bump at the edge of the box or accidental handball that doesn't stop the opponents getting a chance. Could we not have a goalscoring chance stopped in box as a penalty and innocuous infringemnts being indirect free kicks in box. Of course would still be controversial subjective calls but there are now and there would be less so.

*other podcasts available, avid listener of Longbangers and The Ramble too, great Hibs content- get yourselves subscribed 👍
    I like very much the real speed idea for VAR reviews

@hibs.net private member
    One for me would be, like rugby, to allow the game to continue whilst the physio treats an injured player

@hibs.net private member
    I'd like them to scrap the 'Hibs get nowt' rule.

@hibs.net private member
    I’d seriously consider doing away with the penalty. It’s a cheats charter and you’d eliminate over half of the most debated decisions in the game.
    I like the sound of changing the rules around the awarding and taking of penalties, there's scope for a few different things;

Scrap them altogether.
    Make the penalty box smaller.
    Take the penalty from further away.
    Etc Etc

I think this needs to be given very serious consideration. Not sure what the alternative might be, but it seems to be a disproportionate award for a sometimes non-existent offence, and the root of the majority of controversy and injustice.

If we continue to reward getting into the box to theatrically fall over or have the ball glance off a hand then we shouldn't be surprised when games are decided on what isn't really all that great a skill in the grand scheme of things and that teams will play in a way that exploits this sort of situation.

Wenger offside
    VAR responsible for timekeeping they stop the clock at substitutions, injuries VAR checks time wasting, penalty kicks etc.
    Blood and HIA substitutions allowed.
    Corner kick arc made 50% bigger.
    Penalties after extra time is best of 11 then goes to sudden death. If only 10 players in one team is best of 10 etc
    Last edited by gbhibby; 16-03-2024 at 12:55 PM.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Stop mucking about with the game. I’d no all rule changes since the 70’s and start again. Every year they bring in new laws and ruin the game a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    The Wenger offside proposal. If any part of you is in line then you are onside. Boyle's goal in the semi V Aberdeen should never ever be getting ruled out.
    Have they not already decided that will be the rule from next season? Remember seeing something about it.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jakesawers2008
    Managers / Captains get 3 chances to contest a decision / non decision that can be reviewed on VAR whether its wrongfully awarded corner / Throw In or foul that's been "missed"

Players faking a head injury to get the game stopped reviewed on VAR and booked for simulation if no head contact occurred

Offside needs to be clear and obvious not by Bawhairs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by kentao View Post
    Managers / Captains get 3 chances to contest a decision / non decision that can be reviewed on VAR whether its wrongfully awarded corner / Throw In or foul that's been "missed"

Players faking a head injury to get the game stopped reviewed on VAR and booked for simulation if no head contact occurred

Offside needs to be clear and obvious not by Bawhairs.
    I like the faking head knock one, it's something that's become a real problem imo.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I’ve always felt when a straight red card is later overturned on appeal it means that the team has been unfairly penalised in the game that the red card was given. I would suggest a point should be awarded to the team having to play with 10 men if they subsequently lose or draw the game. Not sure how to work it for cup matches but there should be some form of compensation.

For substitutions, I would have the sub wait the exact no of secs (or mins) it takes for a substituted player to actually leave the field before they are allowed onto the field of play.. You’d soon see the Huns scurrying off asap rather than that ridiculous slow orange walk we saw the other week , causing Obita to try do the referee’s job !

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    From PLZ Soccer - getting rid of extra time in cup competitions. 90 min games and straight to penalties (perhaps with exception of Finals)
    All of the others I can see the reasoning (whether I agree with it or not), but what's the argument for this one? To let folk get an earlier bus?

The offside rule is killing the game.

I’d put a line across both eighteen yard lines and make it if any part of your body is over that line, then your off.

It would open up space instead of twenty players bunched up into 20 or 30 yards!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    For substitutions, I would have the sub wait the exact no of secs (or mins) it takes for a substituted player to actually leave the field before they are allowed onto the field of play.. You’d soon see the Huns scurrying off asap rather than that ridiculous slow orange walk we saw the other week , causing Obita to try do the referee’s job !
    This one! I’ve said for ages you should get 10 seconds to get off then the game just starts and if they are not off before that then the sub coming on has to wait till next break in play (and the boy subbed can’t touch it). Subs made in the majority of games now are taking the piss now.

Also, stop giving fouls for everything and start giving foul throws again, seems to have vanished from the rules for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinMike View Post
    I’ve said for years, take a leaf out of rugbys book… If the ball is out of play the clock stops. Gets rid of Injury time, time wasting and you're paying to watch 90 minutes of football.

However, obviously you would need another official to be the “Timekeeper” soooo it will still be somehow compromised !
    If we are going to see 7,8,9+ mins of injury time per half routinely getting added on then this has to be introduced imo.

And I'd want the time visible, so the ref's watch is linked to the stadium clock so everyone can see it.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Have they not already decided that will be the rule from next season? Remember seeing something about it.
    Under consideration apparently - on trial in several countries too I think!

I would also like to see only 2 players allowed in a defensive wall other defensive players must be 3 metres away from defensive wall.
    VAR audio broadcast over the PA at stadium.

Managers allowed 3 challenges per game.This can include missing offences in the build up to goals
    Goal line technology introduced in Scotland.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Sixty minute game, two halves of 30. Clock stopped whenever ball is not active.

Will kill time wasting dead.