hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A classy and really important point
    I think it's a valid comment. Public life, and managers of all descriptions, football and otherwise these days, tend to know how to speak in public. It's part of the job.

I'm sure he's a decent guy, but he's miles out of his depth here. I said it elsewhere, he's a corner shop owner that's found himself in charge of a supermarket. Not his fault but it's not mine either. Time for him to go, imo.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Couldn't care less how he speaks. He could sound like Martin Luther King for all I care but if you play your best creative midfielder up front and your first choice January transfer window CB in midfield then you're bringing problems on yourself.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Couldn't care less how he speaks. He could sound like Martin Luther King for all I care but if you play your best midfielder up front and your first choice January transfer window CB in midfield then you're bringing problems on yourself.
    Triantis has been good in midfield. Probably our best player last night.

Not starting ALF was baffling though. Especially when Marcondes up top clearly didn't work against the Huns on Sunday.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Triantis has been good in midfield. Probably our best player last night.

Not starting ALF was baffling though. Especially when Marcondes up top clearly didn't work against the Huns on Sunday.
    Think the plan always was second half. Then he's not playing against fresh legs. Twice made great runs and found space to get shots in. Not sure he'd have that space first half.
    Triantis was a revelation against the Huns of William so no problem with him in midfield again

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Think the plan always was second half. Then he's not playing against fresh legs. Twice made great runs and found space to get shots in. Not sure he'd have that space first half.
    Triantis was a revelation against the Huns of William so no problem with him in midfield again

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Ah, so being utterly garbage in the first 45 was just a cunning plan on NM's part. Right. Gotcha.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    I think it's a valid comment. Public life, and managers of all descriptions, football and otherwise these days, tend to know how to speak in public. It's part of the job.

I'm sure he's a decent guy, but he's miles out of his depth here. I said it elsewhere, he's a corner shop owner that's found himself in charge of a supermarket. Not his fault but it's not mine either. Time for him to go, imo.
    Miles out of his depth complete hyperbole. If he had fair decisions in his recent games he would likely be on a 6 game winning run. How about a wee bit of support for the guy

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Miles out of his depth complete hyperbole. If he had fair decisions in his recent games he would likely be on a 6 game winning run. How about a wee bit of support for the guy

I think this is why we have McDermott… so we don’t strangle potential at birth. Provide an objective view.

it felt like a double kick in the stanes lastnight goals but the second half had some real positives - of which we need more no doubt. If we’d held on that was something to build on but that’s a stinker of a result which has been a bit of a recurring theme but digging deeper there has been circumstances that have impacted us massively.
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 14-03-2024 at 01:07 PM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

I think this is why we have McDermott… so we don’t strangle potential at birth. Provide an objective view.

it felt like a double kick in the stanes
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    I've supported NM all season, albeit with reservations. Last nights lineup was so obviously a nonsense, and then, irrespective of time added/throw in nonsense, we couldn't hold a lead, yet again. It's fine, you want to support the guy, but I don't, I want him out of the club before the end of the season to give a new guy time to assess the squad.

NM's style of football does nothing for me, excepting the odd wee flurry before we go back to recycling the ball until we lose it and concede a soft goal.

Hibs aren't, and never should be, a place a manager can come and learn how to be a manager. I was happy with his appointment when it happened, so I'm not blaming anyone for it, but the experiment has gone on long enough. He keeps making stupid errors and is either too stubborn or too stupid to stop that.

P45 for him if I had my way. This season has been a shambles. Everyone talking about how many more points we would have had if VAR hadn't done us over. Well, maybe, but watching last night's latest episode of 'Bottlers R Us' I have severe doubts we'd have seen any of those games out either.

He's not up to it. End of.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I've supported NM all season, albeit with reservations. Last nights lineup was so obviously a nonsense, and then, irrespective of time added/throw in nonsense, we couldn't hold a lead, yet again. It's fine, you want to support the guy, but I don't, I want him out of the club before the end of the season to give a new guy time to assess the squad.

NM's style of football does nothing for me, excepting the odd wee flurry before we go back to recycling the ball until we lose it and concede a soft goal.

Hibs aren't, and never should be, a place a manager can come and learn how to be a manager. I was happy with his appointment when it happened, so I'm not blaming anyone for it, but the experiment has gone on long enough. He keeps making stupid errors and is either too stubborn or too stupid to stop that.

P45 for him if I had my way. This season has been a shambles. Everyone talking about how many more points we would have had if VAR hadn't done us over. Well, maybe, but watching last night's latest episode of 'Bottlers R Us' I have severe doubts we'd have seen any of those games out either.

He's not up to it. End of.
    In your opinion. I have reservations however can’t get away from the horrific decisions which have screwed us out of so many points. He has had one window where we have improved since. Seems very knee jerk and the poster who had the two opposite responses dependent on the 20 seconds at the end is spot on. That goal should not be the difference between sack or keep. Where we are at the end of the season should be. How about choosing to support

Left by mutual consent!
    In your opinion. I have reservations however can’t get away from the horrific decisions which have screwed us out of so many points. He has had one window where we have improved since. Seems very knee jerk and the poster who had the two opposite responses dependent on the 20 seconds at the end is spot on. That goal should not be the difference between sack or keep. Where we are at the end of the season should be. How about choosing to support
    Of course it's my opinion. But yes, even though I'd be happy to see him off on a plane back to Oz, he has probably done enough, just, to warrant getting to the end of the season. Top six should have been an absolute skoosh this year with a half way consistent side. He hamstrung us with his ridiculous insistence on a two man midfield, only changed it when he must have known his jotters were in the post if he didn't, and still can't stop trying to be smarter than he obviously is with his team selections. Add to that his generally appalling use of substitutes, his inability to read a game, and his inability to see when a player needs taken off before they're sent off, then I really, really struggle to see why we are persevering with him.

Can anyone tell me what is the upside to continuing to persevere with Nick Montgomery? Anything? Because I genuinely cannot see anything he has done, at all, that makes me think 'Yip, there's a decent manager in there.'

Fair enough if you disagree, I applaud your loyalty, but I think it's misplaced in this case.
    Last edited by VoltaireHibs; 14-03-2024 at 02:32 PM.

Of course it's my opinion. But yes, even though I'd be happy to see him off on a plane back to Oz, he has probably done enough, just, to warrant getting to the end of the season. Top six should have been an absolute skoosh this year with a half way consistent side. He hamstrung us with his ridiculous insistence on a two man midfield, only changed it when he must have known his jotters were in the post if he didn't, and still can't stop trying to be smarter than he obviously is with his team selections. Add to that his generally appalling use of substitutes, his inability to read a game, and his inability to see when a player needs taken off before they're sent off, then I really, really struggle to see why we are persevering with him.

Can anyone tell me what is the upside to continuing to persevere with Nick Montgomery? Anything? Because I genuinely cannot see anything he has done, at all, that makes me think 'Yip, there's a decent manager in there.'

Fair enough if you disagree, I applaud your loyalty, but I think it's misplaced in this case.
    It's incredible that some people still say he's a good manager

Left by mutual consent!
    It's incredible that some people still say he's a good manager
    It's bizarre. He is patently obviously not a good manager. No one has improved, zero consistency, not much fight in the team. Nothing. He has brought absolutely nothing to the table.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Horrific decisions?

Like sticking for far too long with a rigid 442 system that wasn't working.

Insisting for far too long on playing out from the back with average defenders regardless of the consequences. Not knowing that it's OK to change it up a bit and go long when it suits.

Signing a central defender to shore up a defence that leaks goals for fun and then playing him in midfield.

Playing a midfielder as a striker and taking 45 minutes of pure dross to see it wasn't working.

He just doesn't cut it for me. Not sure he knows how to set up a team and doesn't appear to be getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

The first half last night was unbelievably poor. Against a team second from bottom in a poor league, tempo was slow, passing was shocking, players showed zero ability on the ball and not nearly enough passion or desire to be playing in a Hibs shirt.

We then start to play a little, get our noses in front before reverting to playing far too deep and inviting pressure on our back line with a slender one goal lead.

Officiating at games might be poor but that doesn't excuse NM's poor management.
    Last edited by allmodcons; 14-03-2024 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I feel sorry for him to an extent.

VAR calls and **** refereeing have hit the recent upturn in form since the St Mirren game and effectively turned draws to losses and wins to draws in what, 3 games since?

If the calls go the way they should have gone we'd have a respectable draw against Celtic and away wins against Aberdeen and Ross County. 5 points dropped due to VAR and officiating.

I think injuries have been disappointing, Boyle now out for an unconfirmed period, Vente out, Amos out, christ we even signed a player who get sent back to Bournemouth injured not having kicked a ball for us, Cadden just back in, Rocky and Boyle both away on international duty, ALF out.

However, VAR aside he NEEDS to win against Livi, St Johntone and Motherwell, get in to the top six and go and make a fist of it. Make it a scrap for Europe and win some favour amongst the support.

It's not totally out of our reach but those 5 points dropped have made things a lot more difficult.

I'd question whether Youan is too ineffective defensively to have in the side. Contributed to a goal scored then a goal conceded last night from what I read - correct me if I'm wrong - so at what point does it become a net loss to him playing?

My question for him would be why play Marcondes up front when we KNOW he's a creative midfielder? Play players in their most familiar positions, where at least they are familiar with their roles. Shoehorning players in does not work. When has it ever? (apart from playing Stevenson literally anywhere across the back/midfield 4?

I've just seen the highlights, their equaliser is nearly as spawny as the sort of goals Hearts seem to score against us.
    If its the same highlights Ive just watched, then they didnt include Marshall's world class save from a Simon Murray volley about 2 minutes before they equalised. We just invited them onto us for more or less all of the time after taking the lead.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Horrific decisions?

Insisting for far too long on playing out from the back with average defenders regardless of the consequences. Not knowing that it's OK to change it up a bit and go long when it suits.

Signing a central defender to shore up a defence that leaks goals for fun and then playing him in midfield.

Playing a midfielder as a striker and taking 45 minutes of pure dross to see it wasn't working.

He just doesn't cut it for me. Not sure he knows how to set up a team and doesn't appear to be getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

The first half last night was unbelievably poor. Against a team second from bottom in a poor league, tempo was slow, passing was shocking, players showed zero ability on the ball and not nearly enough passion or desire to be playing in a Hibs shirt.

We then start to play a little, get our noses in front before reverting to playing far too deep and inviting pressure on our back line with a slender one goal lead.

Officiating at games might be poor but that doesn't excuse NM's poor management.
    I would say anyone that's still supporting him now is doing so in hope as opposed to any actual evidence. That's fine, as fans we live in hope permanently. But our inability to be consistent at anything has made me run out of patience. There are no green shoots, no potential, no patterns of play, nothing, he has brought nothing to Hibs except excuses and tactical naivety.

Couldn't care less how he speaks. He could sound like Martin Luther King for all I care but if you play your best creative midfielder up front and your first choice January transfer window CB in midfield then you're bringing problems on yourself.
    What’s wrong with playing Triantis midfield given how he’s performed in his two games there?

I would say anyone that's still supporting him now is doing so in hope as opposed to any actual evidence. That's fine, as fans we live in hope permanently. But our inability to be consistent at anything has made me run out of patience. There are no green shoots, no potential, no patterns of play, nothing, he has brought nothing to Hibs except excuses and tactical naivety.
    … and yet … as the poster you replied to pointed out … he has had points taken from his team that clearly shouldn't have been … and - not sure why tbh - the posters games listed omit hearts and the rangers matches decisions.

So … you could also say - it that didn’t happen, then we would have far more than green shoots … we would be very much further up the table. He has, and still is, being shafted as much as us … in EVERY SINGLE MATCH now. In front of everyone’s eyes … such a run of positive results can massively improve the confidence and belief of players .. just look at hearts the past while .. you know, I wouldn’t blame him if he felt relieved to leave and manage a club that isn’t receiving this treatment … though his sense of justice and honour would be deflated by it, I’m sure.

..: can you even begin to imagine what the media would be doing with this run of decisions, and the rangers themselves would be, if it was happening to them (as if it ever would, I know) ?
    Last edited by cubehindthegoal; 14-03-2024 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    What’s wrong with playing Triantis midfield given how he’s performed in his two games there?
    Many a manager would get plaudits for such a change.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cubehindthegoal View Post
    … and yet … as the poster you replied to pointed out … he has had points taken from his team that clearly shouldn't have been … and - not sure why tbh - the posters games listed omit hearts and the rangers matches decisions.

So … you could also say - it that didn’t happen, then we would have far more than green shoots … we would be very much further up the table. He has, and still is, being shafted as much as us … in EVERY SINGLE MATCH now. In front of everyone’s eyes … such a run of positive results can massively improve the confidence and belief of players .. just look at hearts the past while .. you know, I wouldn’t blame him if he felt relieved to leave and manage a club that isn’t receiving this treatment … though his sense of justice and honour would be deflated by it, I’m sure.

..: can you even begin to imagine what the media would be doing with this run of decisions, and the rangers themselves would be, if it was happening to them (as if it ever would, I know) ?
    I do totally agree we have been shafted by VAR, what I don't agree with is the presumption that if those decisions had gone for us we would be sitting higher in the table. That would have required us to see games out, something we are almost entirely incapable of doing. That's on NM in my view.

It's okay to have a different opinion. I don't think folk that want him to stay are stupid, I get the desire for stability and possible incremental progression. But for me it's not going to happen. His style of play, his demeanour, his tactical stupidity, his inability to see what others can have all led me to this point.

It's not really a big deal. Fan doesn't like manager - it changes nothing. But I sincerely hope that the BK group have other ideas about how we progress as a club, and that it doesn't involve a rookie learning, or not learning, on the job. We're way better than that.

Horrific decisions?

Poor officiating isn't a excuse it's a fact that we have been shafted out of at least 7 points recently which would have had us 4th and folk not moaning about the manager too .

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    That’s not his fault though. He isn’t standing on the touch line telling the players to take their foot off the gas and lower the intensity.

The players have got to be wiser and keep the ball better.
    I agree to an extent. But we have to have tactics in place that allow us to see out a game, after going 2-1 up last night the players looked like they hadn’t a clue what to do, we cleared it as far as the half way line, gave possession away and allowed them to attack time after time. This has happened throughout the season and judging by last night it looks like it’s never been addressed.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Horrific decisions?

Saved me the bother.👍👍👍

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Speech therapists might disagree.
    Would they though? Their whole job is about trying to help people to speak properly surely?

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

I agree with every single word of this. I would add that his attempt to fix our central defence has resulted in precisely no improvement there whatsoever.

He's getting to make all his mistakes as an inexperienced manager at Hibs (failure to sub Obita against Ugly Sister Bigot anyone?) when we are absolutely crying out for a manager who can make the most of our not inconsiderable resources.

I fear that the worst possible outcome will (again) happen here. He ends up doing just enough to allow the person with the title of Chief Executive and the person who is the de-facto Chief Executive to keep him on and spare their considerable blushes for yet another failed appointment gamble Football Manager stylee, he then gets the window to spend money, we then begin next season and - surprise, surprise - he has us still playing chronic to watch punchless, pointless, passing across the back, stutters with results and then gets emptied early in the season and we are then left with weeks of a gap without a manager who when he is eventually appointed inevitably has to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. All over again. Rinse and repeat.

As ever, I look forward to having to gorge on humble pie if he proves me wrong. Nothing would make me happier. But I'll make to plans to cook my own dinner because I very much doubt the pie is going to come along to trouble me.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    I agree to an extent. But we have to have tactics in place that allow us to see out a game, after going 2-1 up last night the players looked like they hadn’t a clue what to do, we cleared it as far as the half way line, gave possession away and allowed them to attack time after time. This has happened throughout the season and judging by last night it looks like it’s never been addressed.
    The manager said this about it recently

“One thing we did in a period where we were losing leads in games, we ended up conceding because we stopped playing, stopped having the ball, and that was down to trying to hold out for a win rather than killing a game off.

“I’d rather be a team that tries to kill games than sits on a lead,” he said. “That happened to us a few times, and we dropped points from winning positions. That’s a mentality thing you have to change with the players, but that doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time.”

Very much looks like he’s still not found a way to get them to do it going by last night.

I actually think Montgomery isn't a bad manager, I just don't think he's quite good enough to take us forward, if we are to become anything like the 3rd force in Scottish football it won't be with him in charge, that's a cert. I don't think he's that bad a manager, just maybe not quite good enough to take us forward?

Ah, so being utterly garbage in the first 45 was just a cunning plan on NM's part. Right. Gotcha.
    That’s not what he said …

I do totally agree we have been shafted by VAR, what I don't agree with is the presumption that if those decisions had gone for us we would be sitting higher in the table. That would have required us to see games out, something we are almost entirely incapable of doing. That's on NM in my view.

It's okay to have a different opinion. I don't think folk that want him to stay are stupid, I get the desire for stability and possible incremental progression. But for me it's not going to happen. His style of play, his demeanour, his tactical stupidity, his inability to see what others can have all led me to this point.

It's not really a big deal. Fan doesn't like manager - it changes nothing. But I sincerely hope that the BK group have other ideas about how we progress as a club, and that it doesn't involve a rookie learning, or not learning, on the job. We're way better than that.
    So … we have been shafted by VAR you say … I agree.

The presumption you state is not actually a “presumption”, as much as you seem to want and will it to be.

Simple example … give us a throw in last night, rather than the wrong decision ? We gain two points. There was no time left for any other alternative .. unless he kept playing until there was, but that’s another (potentially corrupt) thing.

You talk of incremental progression. Take away corrupt decisions, we HAVE seen it in the past half dozen matches. And if there had been no corrupt decisions … we would have momentum … players gaining in confidence .. many more points on the board … in the top six comfortably …

It is really a big deal … the corruption, that is. It’s crucial and it’s massive in the difference all over the board. That’s why it happens.

The picture is mudded by the awful clutch of players he inherited, but I was really hoping he'd be able to knock them into some kind of cohesive unit capable of at least fighting for 3rd or 4th. None of that has happened. I've been uninspired by his team selection, his teams half-arsed performances and his teams ability to ship goals without much of an attempt to stem it.

Bottom line, I rate Hibs managers based on their use of subs and ability to change the game (in our favour !) when things need altering. In this respect Monty has been abysmal. He shows next to no understanding of what's actually going on the pitch. It feels like a complete lottery when he chucks players on, and who he chucks on. If Hibs decide to get rid of him now, I wouldn't care. I will however be deeply concerned if he's still in place come the last day of the season. We have a very big opportunity, thru Foley, to start buildings something new at Hibs. If the Hibs Board sleep-walk into this, we're sunk and the fans will surely let them know.