hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Tactically and technically naive all over the pitch

Team selections and substitutions have been head scratching

Has not been helped by injuries suspensions and dodgy refereeing decisions along the way -comes with the territory - but did get quality reinforcements in January

Top six finish is a must for this club

I honestly cannot see the BK’s seeing Monty as being good enough for where we need to be based on what we have seen so far

Needs to wise up and stop being nice

Shoogly peg

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tactically and technically naive all over the pitch

Team selections and substitutions have been head scratching

Has not been helped by injuries suspensions and dodgy refereeing decisions along the way -comes with the territory - but did get quality reinforcements in January

Top six finish is a must for this club

I honestly cannot see the BK’s seeing Monty as being good enough for where we need to be based on what we have seen so far

Needs to wise up and stop being nice

Shoogly peg
    His constant blaming injuries of var (although valid at times) is becoming tiring.

If he came out a couple of times and either held his hands up saying he got it wrong or having a bit more of a dig at the performances would result in fans supporting him a bit more imo.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    Alex Miller at least knew Scottish football and how it works. This guy is letting the establishment walk all over us. He comes across weak and the establishment and Scottish football media are having a feeding frenzy as a result.
    Genuinely can't remember Alex being particularly critical of refs in his time

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Genuinely can't remember Alex being particularly critical of refs in his time
    Best I remember was Alex McLeish calling out for protection from the Referee’s pre-match for Latapy in visits to Ibrox and Darkheid and seemed to work to a degree as Ref’s were looking for it

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Feel a wee bit sorry for him as the whole mindset and vision of him changes hugely if he wins the four games against the biggest teams when every one he has been shafted in. Even two of them would help however what was clear was that yesterday and Saturday were really must wins with a half decent performance. The first half and selection was bizarre pretty much nothing until we gift a goal then the real team turns up. Horrible to lose two points the way we did though surely we should be better than gifting up possession and inviting them on. What is clear we are now struggling for top 6 which is a minimum for me acceptable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    I feel really ambivalent towards the guy. He doesn’t really inspire, but he’s pretty inoffensive at the same time.

If I’ve got a criticism is he’s far too cautious and he’s a bit like Heckingbottom in that he seems to want to get to half time 0-0 and see what happens after that, it’s all a bit insipid for me.

Top 6/bottom 6 it’s all really about next season for Hibs now, and wherever we finish I somehow don’t think he’ll be there as the manager to usher in this new era at the club that we’re being promised.
    Yep, agree with all of that. I would add that, also like Heckingbottom he makes some strange positional choices,ie with PH, putting Scott Allan out on the wing and in NM's case playing Marcondes as a striker.

Hell be gone end of season, not good enough

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Hell be gone end of season, not good enough
    Not soon enough.,

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    I feel really ambivalent towards the guy. He doesn’t really inspire, but he’s pretty inoffensive at the same time.

If I’ve got a criticism is he’s far too cautious and he’s a bit like Heckingbottom in that he seems to want to get to half time 0-0 and see what happens after that, it’s all a bit insipid for me.

Top 6/bottom 6 it’s all really about next season for Hibs now, and wherever we finish I somehow don’t think he’ll be there as the manager to usher in this new era at the club that we’re being promised.
    Good post. Nothing more to add.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Oh right. Here was me thinking our results were the problem. Its his interviews....
    His interview in themselves aren't the problem, but you've got to wonder what the players think when he speaks, no?

Loads of us on here find him insipid and uninspiring, not exactly qualities you identify with strong leadership.

If the players feel the same, or don't fully understand what he's going on about, then that is a problem.

How managers appear in the media does matter though. They are representing our club and it's nice when you can get behind what they're saying and feel a bit of pride.

With NM, it's more of a cringe.

Mind how we used to laugh at, and relish, Cathro's interviews?!! It's kinda been like that with LJ and now NM.

On one hand, have sympathy for him. There have been so many refereeing decisions that have cost us points and he’s had terrible luck with injuries (again last night we couldn’t name a full bench and were using kids to make up what we did have).

On the other hand he’s made some bad decisions. For all the talk of tactics, the worst of the lot was not addressing the defence in January. Regardless of setup, we just concede ridiculous goals. We were really good at drawing 2-2 when we played 442, we drew 2-2 when it changed slightly away at Kilmarnock in January and that’s now a couple of 2-2 draws since it changed to the 433. All because we are incapable of dealing with simple balls in to the box.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    3rd should be the minimum. Crap decisions all over the club this season have led to this. A lot more to blame than Monty.
    I don't disagree that it's terrible decision making. Not just this season but for about 3 years now. The biggest one being terrible, scattergun recruitment.

I don't actively want monty sacked but if he was I wouldn't really be bothered. I'd be more concerned about those who keep making crap appointments being heavily involved in finding the next manager.

@hibs.net private member
    He’s not the man to take us forward.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    He’s not had his troubles to seek through injuries to key players and absence (foreseen yet not addressed by the club - that’s not on his watch)

He’s 42! And iirc had 60 games under his belt.

Many folks talk of changing the culture at the club.
    That takes time.
    Probably not helped by poor results (and perplexing officiating / VAR calls) not buying sufficient credit.

it’s really over to McDermott who’ll know if there’s enough there.

maybe we’re now in a place where we can go for an established, seasoned, proven manager but if we’re still in the place of young up and coming we need for everyone’s sake give him a fair crack of the whip.

So in that we’ve backed him financially question is how about riding out the merda that’s been the season so far.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

His interviews are bland, because he doesn’t want to highlight the horrendous officials, that currently blight our game.
    Our playing squad is now much bettter, the football style has improved, the average age of the team has reduced, many more youngsters at least being encouraged by making the squad.
    His tactics were bizarre, but this apppears to be changing.
    I would stick with him.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I make that four new separate threads on the manager posted after last night's game.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    On one hand, have sympathy for him. There have been so many refereeing decisions that have cost us points and he’s had terrible luck with injuries (again last night we couldn’t name a full bench and were using kids to make up what we did have).

On the other hand he’s made some bad decisions. For all the talk of tactics, the worst of the lot was not addressing the defence in January. Regardless of setup, we just concede ridiculous goals. We were really good at drawing 2-2 when we played 442, we drew 2-2 when it changed slightly away at Kilmarnock in January and that’s now a couple of 2-2 draws since it changed to the 433. All because we are incapable of dealing with simple balls in to the box.
    Not doing more to sort the defence in January has been a terrible decision. The one signing he did make for that area looks a better midfielder ffs! Rocky and Fish can sometimes look good individually but as a pair they are still conceding terrible goals week in week out. It’s not really been any different with Hanlon/Triantis or any other player added, Fish has been the one constant though, dreadful season from him.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think the team has been really unlucky past few weeks.. its genuinely made me wonder if there's a conspiracy against hibs lol.

Aberdeen - we were the better team but denied the penalty
    Hearts - we were the better team, referee ignored var decision
    Celtic - we competed pretty well but 2 penalties given against us
    Rangers - we competed well against them, soft penalty, a very soft sending off and a straight red.

If you look at the performances of these big games the team is playing well but they've been on the end of some harsh decisions.

I think he'll go in the summer.

Not what I want as I really can't be bothered with the upheaval that comes with it and another manager coming in and having to reassess the squad and whatever.

However we are going to be spending serious money this summer, by Hibs standards, anyway. We have already spent a relative fortune and sit 7th in a pretty poor league. I don't think the club will take the risk of trusting a guy with as sketchy a record as Montgomery has here with that money and possibly having to move him on in October/November. Better to start afresh in the summer.

In an ideal world that won't happen and we'll go on a run now that shows he is the man and we are ready to kick on but I just don't see it. Every time it looks like we might be about to click we pull a total stinker out the hat and it deflates any belief I have again.

Hibs managers are about to be judged by very high standards and my gut instinct is we will want someone knew to take that on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Daft View Post
    I think the team has been really unlucky past few weeks.. its genuinely made me wonder if there's a conspiracy against hibs lol.

Rangers - we competed well against them, soft penalty, a very soft sending off and a straight red.

If you look at the performances of these big games the team is playing well but they've been on the end of some harsh decisions.
    No doubt we can raise our game against the 'bigger' teams but its the terrible performances against the teams that we should be beating that bugs me!

Part of me thinks that Monty having a full preseason is whats needed and might help us kick on, but the other part of me wants someone better in before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Daft View Post

I think he's a good man manager. Players seem very much on board with him but every game this has seen vital decisions go against him, unfairly - which will have a big say into whether he stays with us or not.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    His constant blaming injuries of var (although valid at times) is becoming tiring.

If he came out a couple of times and either held his hands up saying he got it wrong or having a bit more of a dig at the performances would result in fans supporting him a bit more imo.
    LJ, Maloney and Jack Ross have all been crippled with injuries to key players. It happens. We had some horrendous VAR calls against us last season and still managed to finish 5 points off 3rd. Montgomery loves an excuse. Never his fault.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I think it’s fair to criticise Montgomery for not addressing the defence. However there’s also mitigation in having to also fix the midfield and up front. Essentially to fix the defence in one January window would be at the expense of Moriah-Welsh, Emiliano or Maolida and existing problems persusting from their gaps. There was simply too much work needed in one window.

The defence could very well get a second manager sacked this season. The second goal was poor but can happen. The first though, that’s nothing to do with managers, tactics, formations etc. it’s 3 experienced players conceding a goal out of nothing. What chance have you got when you at least need to score most games just to earn a point and often need to score 3 to win games.

I don’t think last night told us anything new. We’ve got a good starting 11, alongside one of the worst defences in the league. Take out Vente, Boyle, and particularly Moriah-Welsh and the quality and team overall considerably drop. Having to revert back to Youan & Levit got the previous manager sacked. Taking Morish-Welsh out and players like Newell also revert back to their worst versions for long spells of games.

Think Montgomery making it to next season depends on how often he can field our strongest 11. If he can I think he comfortably survives into next season with a bit of momentum. If not it’s probably bottom 6 and he’s doing well to last the season.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I feel sorry for him to an extent.

VAR calls and **** refereeing have hit the recent upturn in form since the St Mirren game and effectively turned draws to losses and wins to draws in what, 3 games since?

If the calls go the way they should have gone we'd have a respectable draw against Celtic and away wins against Aberdeen and Ross County. 5 points dropped due to VAR and officiating.

I think injuries have been disappointing, Boyle now out for an unconfirmed period, Vente out, Amos out, christ we even signed a player who get sent back to Bournemouth injured not having kicked a ball for us, Cadden just back in, Rocky and Boyle both away on international duty, ALF out.

However, VAR aside he NEEDS to win against Livi, St Johntone and Motherwell, get in to the top six and go and make a fist of it. Make it a scrap for Europe and win some favour amongst the support.

It's not totally out of our reach but those 5 points dropped have made things a lot more difficult.

I'd question whether Youan is too ineffective defensively to have in the side. Contributed to a goal scored then a goal conceded last night from what I read - correct me if I'm wrong - so at what point does it become a net loss to him playing?

My question for him would be why play Marcondes up front when we KNOW he's a creative midfielder? Play players in their most familiar positions, where at least they are familiar with their roles. Shoehorning players in does not work. When has it ever? (apart from playing Stevenson literally anywhere across the back/midfield 4?

I've just seen the highlights, their equaliser is nearly as spawny as the sort of goals Hearts seem to score against us.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I feel sorry for him to an extent.

VAR calls and **** refereeing have hit the recent upturn in form since the St Mirren game and effectively turned draws to losses and wins to draws in what, 3 games since?

If the calls go the way they should have gone we'd have a respectable draw against Celtic and away wins against Aberdeen and Ross County. 5 points dropped due to VAR and officiating.

I think injuries have been disappointing, Boyle now out for an unconfirmed period, Vente out, Amos out, christ we even signed a player who get sent back to Bournemouth injured not having kicked a ball for us, Cadden just back in, Rocky and Boyle both away on international duty, ALF out.

However, VAR aside he NEEDS to win against Livi, St Johntone and Motherwell, get in to the top six and go and make a fist of it. Make it a scrap for Europe and win some favour amongst the support.

It's not totally out of our reach but those 5 points dropped have made things a lot more difficult.

I'd question whether Youan is too ineffective defensively to have in the side. Contributed to a goal scored then a goal conceded last night from what I read - correct me if I'm wrong - so at what point does it become a net loss to him playing?

My question for him would be why play Marcondes up front when we KNOW he's a creative midfielder? Play players in their most familiar positions, where at least they are familiar with their roles. Shoehorning players in does not work. When has it ever? (apart from playing Stevenson literally anywhere across the back/midfield 4?

I've just seen the highlights, their equaliser is nearly as spawny as the sort of goals Hearts seem to score against us.
    No idea what’s happened to Youan recently. He’s never exactly been a rock defensively, but he was never as bad as this.

That being said, he’s probably our most effective attacking player statistically. We need to find a way to get him on the pitch without having to do any real defending.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 14-03-2024 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    No idea what’s happened to Youan recently. He’s never exactly been a rock defensively, but he was never as bad as this.

That being said, he’s probably our most effective attacking player statistically. We need to find a way to get him on the pitch without having to do any real defending.
    Thats the crux of it. Unless he's played through the middle and is expected to not defend then these things will happen. I might be being a bit harsh basing this on last night, he was possibly caught cold like the rest of the team with the throw being taken 15 yards further on than it should have been and being given to the wrong team.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    An absolute imposter.
    And completely void of charisma.
    Sounds like an imbecile in his interviews - proves it with his management.
    Yip, he sounds like someone who's played football all his life and never read a book, other than Pep's coaching manual. I usually dismiss anyone that says 'fink' rather than 'think' in conversation as an idiot. He isn't changing my opinion on that.

First Team Breakthrough
    He’s not the man to take us forward.
    Who is the manager to take us forward,who is the football genius waiting in the wings.i await on the replies.montgomery is here long term.next season I’m looking forward to .more money coming in than we’ve had before,on the pitch and off it,the players that came in January never let us down ,but it’s time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    Yip, he sounds like someone who's played football all his life and never read a book, other than Pep's coaching manual. I usually dismiss anyone that says 'fink' rather than 'think' in conversation as an idiot. He isn't changing my opinion on that.
    These threads so often turn in to character assassinations. Piss poor.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Left by mutual consent!

We need an upgrade on Youan. If he hasn't worked out what his role requires by now he never will. The fact he's one of our best attackers says more about how garbage we've been than it does about him.