hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    I really don't get him. The most uninspiring beige manager I can remember. He just doesn’t inspire confidence and has no charisma, he fumbles his world and comes across weak. His team set up and decisions to change things are baffling.

I won’t lose sleep if he goes but I’ll support the team on the park always. The refereeing decisions against him have been ridiculous but maybe a stronger personality would get a different reaction, who knows?

2. Log in to remove the advert

We won’t sack him.

He really needs to wisen up though, game manager was so poor at the end.

Blame the refs all you want but the goal was coming.

Makes baffling subs at times and on the other hand doesn’t take players off when it’s obvious.

Obita should have been taken off against Rangers, everyone could see a red was coming.

Youan should have been taken off tonight, not a player you want on the park when defending a lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Australian A league is a far cry from even our level of football. Montgomery, despite his relative success over there, is never going to hack it here. We’ll struggle to get into the top six and, being realistic, if we do, we’ll be the whipping boys for everybody. We’ll end up around 7th or 8th, and Montgomery will leave in time to bring in the next stab in the dark.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to ask the same question

Has he actually made us better though?
    Same point last season we had five more points on the board so I’d say it’s quite difficult to argue there’s been any improvement. Certainly better since St Mirren but he’s still failing to sort out the main issue which is the way we defend.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Australian A league is a far cry from even our level of football. Montgomery, despite his relative success over there, is never going to hack it here. We’ll struggle to get into the top six and, being realistic, if we do, we’ll be the whipping boys for everybody. We’ll end up around 7th or 8th, and Montgomery will leave in time to bring in the next stab in the dark.
    I think the next appointment will be anything but a stab in the dark.

The club is changing, the next manager will reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Same point last season we had five more points on the board so I’d say it’s quite difficult to argue there’s been any improvement. Certainly better since St Mirren but he’s still failing to sort out the main issue which is the way we defend.
    Not hard though, is it? He could’ve had Paul Hanlon come out by himself, take a dump on the centre circle and leave and it still would’ve been an improvement on that game.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Baffled as to how people can argue that he’s made us better then

When you have a succession of failed you managers, you really need to look elsewhere for the problem. Monty will be gone by the summer, but won;t solve anything.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Not hard though, is it? He could’ve had Paul Hanlon come out by himself, take a dump on the centre circle and leave and it still would’ve been an improvement on that game.
    It would have tracked back better than Youan as well

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I’ve really struggled to take to him, his time has really felt very similar to Maloney’s in every way. No major highs or lows, just an extremely uninspiring period - but I do find him a pretty uninspiring character (same with Maloney).

He’s so far removed from what I thought we were getting when I heard reports of what he had achieved with CCM, and the impact that he’d had on their players.

Last few weeks have been pretty good to watch to be fair, but genuinely exciting moments/matches have been very thin on the ground - and I don’t for one second get the feeling that we’re on the cusp of much better times any time soon.

There’s absolutely no way I’d be entrusting him with serious funds and a major rebuild in the summer.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    I like him and really want him to do well. Wrong team to start but he changed it and we played better. He isnt at fault for us flapping at a cross and in the last seconds of the game; those 2 goals are down to the players.

That said, we aren’t anywhere near where we should be and with big investment in the summer, his position will come under scrutiny in the summer if we fail to get top 6.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I’ve really struggled to take to him, his time has really felt very similar to Maloney’s in every way. No major highs or lows, just an extremely uninspiring period - but I do find him a pretty uninspiring character (same with Maloney).

He’s so far removed from what I thought we were getting when I heard reports of what he had achieved with CCM, and the impact that he’d had on their players.

Last few weeks have been pretty good to watch to be fair, but genuinely exciting moments/matches have been very thin on the ground - and I don’t for one second get the feeling that we’re on the cusp of much better times any time soon.

There’s absolutely no way I’d be entrusting him with serious funds and a major rebuild in the summer.
    Second paragraph is so true unfortunately.

I think he comes across as a decent guy trying his best, I really want to like him and I’ve given him the benefit of any doubt since the day he came in, I think I still am actually.

If I’m being honest though, he’s probably not been what I thought we were getting when I watched those clips and listened to his interviews as manager of CCM. On the pitch as well, he’s not had the magic touch on players I’d have hoped for and we’re not playing the exciting high intensity football he apparently played at CCM.

Overall, I’ve enjoyed more of the football under him than a lot of people have as I have enjoyed watching what we are trying to do. He’s not what I expected though, I think that’s definitely the case.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    I really don't get him. The most uninspiring beige manager I can remember. He just doesn’t inspire confidence and has no charisma, he fumbles his world and comes across weak. His team set up and decisions to change things are baffling.

I won’t lose sleep if he goes but I’ll support the team on the park always. The refereeing decisions against him have been ridiculous but maybe a stronger personality would get a different reaction, who knows?
    Agree with all of this. I don't dislike him, there's just nothing about him at all.

I doubt he'll be here for the start of next season.

Makes Alex Miller look thoroughly engaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    Makes Alex Miller look thoroughly engaging.
    Alex Miller at least knew Scottish football and how it works. This guy is letting the establishment walk all over us. He comes across weak and the establishment and Scottish football media are having a feeding frenzy as a result.

A lot of the stuff I'm reading on here is exactly the same as Jack Ross. Just copy & paste to save yourselves time. We don't know what goes on in the dressing room full stop.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Second paragraph is so true unfortunately.

I think he comes across as a decent guy trying his best, I really want to like him and I’ve given him the benefit of any doubt since the day he came in, I think I still am actually.

If I’m being honest though, he’s probably not been what I thought we were getting when I watched those clips and listened to his interviews as manager of CCM. On the pitch as well, he’s not had the magic touch on players I’d have hoped for and we’re not playing the exciting high intensity football he apparently played at CCM.

Overall, I’ve enjoyed more of the football under him than a lot of people have as I have enjoyed watching what we are trying to do. He’s not what I expected though, I think that’s definitely the case.
    Agree he comes across as a good guy, and I don’t doubt for one second that he’s putting everything into the job.

I don’t really get the hard time he gets for his interviews either - I find him a bit awkward and quite a dull listen, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s like that behind closed doors. I found Steve Clarke to be an utterly dour ******* for many years, yet he inspired his Killie and Scotland sides to do great things, and those squads had a real togetherness.

However, he doesn’t seem to have the ability to really lift our team, and we do lack personality on the park - and the style of football has fallen way short in recent weeks.

There were times when I really thought we were onto something - I walked away from the Dundee 0-0 back in September really encouraged, I felt it was a game befitting of Mowbray’s “if we play like that…” mantra, and that we were moving in the right direction.

It’s been a disappointing few months since then though. If he does go at the end of the season, I’m sure he’ll be kicking himself, as huge opportunities have been wasted this season.

We should have been in the league cup final, and we’ve thrown enough points away this season to be sitting comfortably in 4th. To quote one of NM’s predecessors, fine margins.

Ultimately though, a 28% win ratio from his league games, and 1.28 PPG is pretty grim stuff.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 13-03-2024 at 11:20 PM.

Cheerio

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I like him.

He’s made us better.

Not without his faults.

If we don’t get to 6 then a very serious conversation needs to be had but if he does then he gets next season for me.

We have to win on Saturday. By the time you get to this stage it is quite literally a must win game.

I don't think he has made us better, we arguably have the strongest squad now, than we have had for a while. We should be in a far better position. He has been backed and the reason we are in this position is down to him. Lets face it, he came to us with around 60 games behind him he is essentially a novice manager and his inexperience shows. With the new investment we really need to move on and kick on. I genuinely hope he is gone and we have a more experienced manager that, can play good football and win matches in for the start of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    I don't think he has made us better, we arguably have the strongest squad now, than we have had for a while. We should be in a far better position. He has been backed and the reason we are in this position is down to him. Lets face it, he came to us with around 60 games behind him he is essentially a novice manager and his inexperience shows. With the new investment we really need to move on and kick on. I genuinely hope he is gone and we have a more experienced manager that, can play good football and win matches in for the start of next season.
    The points return from the games since those players came in has been acceptable, even allowing for dropping a couple of cheap points tonight.

We were very poor under him for a very large chunk of this season, I think he deserves appropriate criticism for that. The bottom line is though that the players he was relying on during that spell, including the likes of Levitt and Youan just aren’t going to be good enough for where we want to be.

Over the course of a season with our current squad, I think Monty pisses third place, even allowing for a leaky defence, his occasionally bizarre team selection and some odd game management at times. Hearts are currently pissing third off the back of a good goal scorer and good form for a quarter of a season.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    See out the season and then part ways with him. Wanted it to work for him but seems massively out his depth, game management at crucial times is non-existent, went two one up and continually just threw away possession until we conceded.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    See out the season and then part ways with him. Wanted it to work for him but seems massively out his depth, game management at crucial times is non-existent, went two one up and continually just threw away possession until we conceded.
    That’s not his fault though. He isn’t standing on the touch line telling the players to take their foot off the gas and lower the intensity.

The players have got to be wiser and keep the ball better.

Can't imagine Foley will be impressed given he punted Gary O'Neil at Bournemouth who was doing a much better job

Don't really get why top 6 is the minimum.

5th should be the minimum. 6th is a failure.

I was done with him but the form over the last couple of weeks had got me back on side.

But that first half tonight really makes me question what he is thinking.

Wednesday night, away to Ross County who are second bottom, short of confidence, bobbly pitch, cold and windy night and he decides to play 3 central midfielders, all of whom want to come short and get the ball to feet and are incapable of running behind. He then plays Marcondes upfront in a lone 9 when he quite clearly isn’t a striker and again wants to drop deep and get the ball to feet,

So he’s essentially went and played without a striker and made it so easy for County it’s unreal.

No fan or semi decent manager would have went with that team imo, it was obvious ALF had to start and look at the difference of the whole team when he came on

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    Alex Miller at least knew Scottish football and how it works. This guy is letting the establishment walk all over us. He comes across weak and the establishment and Scottish football media are having a feeding frenzy as a result.
    Oh right. Here was me thinking our results were the problem. Its his interviews....

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Don't really get why top 6 is the minimum.

5th should be the minimum. 6th is a failure.
    3rd should be the minimum. Crap decisions all over the club this season have led to this. A lot more to blame than Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    3rd should be the minimum. Crap decisions all over the club this season have led to this. A lot more to blame than Monty.
    3rd minimum is nonsense.

We’ve finished 3rd twice in about 20 years and have the 5th biggest budget in the league.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    You could have saved posting all that by saying played Levitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    The players shouldn’t need to be told how to see out a game, they are responsible for their own ‘game management’ in the closing stages.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.