hibs.net Messageboard

Ben Kensall's Mealy Mouthed Response To Sectarianism

From the Daily Record article:

---
    Hibees have become fed up of repeated use of pyrotechnics when the big two are in the capital, as well as sectarian singing.

City rivals Hearts have cut away allocations to around 600 to every club bar Hibs and Kensell was asked if the Leith outfit could go down the same route:

He said: “There was a very clear view that came from the floor. We heard that and will act appropriately, once we’ve had a chance to discuss it It’s our prerogative in the SPFL to reduce allocations, if we wish."

“Up to this point we haven’t. It’s our prerogative if we want to do that if we want to. We’ll discuss it with the clubs in question. That’s all I’ve got to say on that.”

Asked about how sectarian singing can be stamped out, Kensell said:

“I think clubs should get together. I think we, as clubs, should discuss it before taking it to league level.

“I think it’s something that we, as a collective, need to understand. How can we eradicate this from our game? Because it should be about what happens on the pitch.”
    ---

So what have you done so far, when do you plan to actually do anything about it... and WTF is their to understand?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Mealy mouthed 🤦🏼*♂️

I do understand someone not from here, probably with a decent educated upbringing as well, being ignorant to sectarianism. I don't think he is telling porkies when he says he doesn't fully understand it and appreciate how horrible it is.

He must do something though. Hibs have stood idly by for far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the Daily Record article:

---
    Hibees have become fed up of repeated use of pyrotechnics when the big two are in the capital, as well as sectarian singing.

City rivals Hearts have cut away allocations to around 600 to every club bar Hibs and Kensell was asked if the Leith outfit could go down the same route:

He said: “There was a very clear view that came from the floor. We heard that and will act appropriately, once we’ve had a chance to discuss it It’s our prerogative in the SPFL to reduce allocations, if we wish."

“Up to this point we haven’t. It’s our prerogative if we want to do that if we want to. We’ll discuss it with the clubs in question. That’s all I’ve got to say on that.”

Asked about how sectarian singing can be stamped out, Kensell said:

“I think clubs should get together. I think we, as clubs, should discuss it before taking it to league level.

“I think it’s something that we, as a collective, need to understand. How can we eradicate this from our game? Because it should be about what happens on the pitch.”
    ---

So what have you done so far, when do you plan to actually do anything about it... and WTF is their to understand?
    We'll consider cutting their allocation when our attendances increase to a level where we need to occupy the dunbar end.

He gave the impression last night he completely understood but that both clubs and the league made it impossible to do anything about it.

He was very happy making a statement in public but doubted it would have any impact. He also said we were very close to cutting the allocations and that Ian Gordon had been a big advocate of this.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    He gave the impression last night he completely understood but that both clubs and the league made it impossible to do anything about it.

He was very happy making a statement in public but doubted it would have any impact. He also said we were very close to cutting the allocations and that Ian Gordon had been a big advocate of this.
    That last part doesn’t surprise me in the slightest, watching the ****ing hordes of Huns trying their best to ruin a tribute night to his deceased father.

Still boils my blood.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Like other clubs we should cut both of the clubs in questions allocations, they need to learn, stewards and police should be doing more.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    We'll consider cutting their allocation when our attendances increase to a level where we need to occupy the dunbar end.
    Others like St Mirren and Killie have cut their allocation when they have no chance of filling the same number of seats.

Not particularly happy with the response from Hibs. Getting clubs together is a best naive, at worst ignorant. It's just a non starter. There are two clubs that need to sort themselves out but have shown they are entirely unwilling to do so.

Now is the time for action.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    I personally don't think we should use that as the barometer for this decision. We should cut their allocation when we are able to sell seats in the away end regardless of their behaviour, the same as Hearts have done (safe giving them the full stand as they do for us obviously).

This however is a punishment for them and is irrespective of how many tickets we sell. I could be the only paid ticket in the house that week and I'd still want to see them cramped up one side or on the top tier of the south all because of their own ****my behaviour for the last however long they've gotten away with it.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    When he says that clubs should get together to discuss the blight of sectarianism before taking it to League level, who’s to say it won’t be Hibs who take the initiative and get the debate at club level going?

I’d really like it for Hibs to take the lead on this. Something I can actually see us doing.

C’mon Ben, why have you not kicked Putin out of Ukraine and stopped the war in Israel. You really need to do more. Don’t think for one second just coz you have negotiated potentially the best bit of commercial business in the clubs history we will thank you and give you some credit.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ship of Hope View Post
    C’mon Ben, why have you not kicked Putin out of Ukraine and stopped the war in Israel. You really need to do more. Don’t think for one second just coz you have negotiated potentially the best bit of commercial business in the clubs history we will thank you and give you some credit.
    One of the most bizarre posts I’ve ever seen on here and that’s saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    When he says that clubs should get together to discuss the blight of sectarianism before taking it to League level, who’s to say it won’t be Hibs who take the initiative and get the debate at club level going?

I’d really like it for Hibs to take the lead on this. Something I can actually see us doing.
    If there's a "debate", it will be some mealy mouthed drivel with no chance of achieving anything. It's not a problem true football people can address and make sectarian behaviour a thing of the past - it's a far more deep rooted problem than just football.

What Hibs can do is get rid. Give them 500 seats for a season. Make it loud and clear why. By all means increase it the following season but as doon as the **** starts? Shut them down again.

Personally, I'd cut them right down and leave it at that. They've made it clear (as recently as this season) that they see their backing at the likes of Hibs as worth a goal of a start.

Personally, and I recognise this might not be popular, I find the barrage of missiles which regularly get launched by our "support" far more troublesome than some dodgy songs about religion which is based on a collection of fairy tales.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Personally, and I recognise this might not be popular, I find the barrage of missiles which regularly get launched by our "support" far more troublesome than some dodgy songs about religion which is based on a collection of fairy tales.
    Both wrong. Both illegal. Ban everyone involved with both.

Meaningless lip service response from BK.

Although to put it im context no-one at Hibs has ever stood up against it in my Hibs attending lifetime and that stretches from Dempster all the way back to Tom Hart.