hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Should Asst refs stop signalling for offside?

I thought Lovell's point about offside was interesting today. He suggested that the assistant ref shouldn't signal for offside, but if a goal was scored, VAR could check it.

If a goal wasn't scored, the game just continues.

As we know, whether the flag is raised or not, VAR checks every goal and confirms offside or not.

Dundee's offside goal was a case in point. It was clearly off, but VAR double checked despite the flag having gone up.

I haven't thought this idea through but it might lead to fewer stoppages and I think it's worth discussion.

2. Log in to remove the advert

How raging would you be if you lose a goal from a corner when it would have been clearly offside in the buildup to it being won?

Quote Originally Posted by Helensburghhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How raging would you be if you lose a goal from a corner when it would have been clearly offside in the buildup to it being won?
    Yes, that's a good point.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I thought Lovell's point about offside was interesting today. He suggested that the assistant ref shouldn't signal for offside, but if a goal was scored, VAR could check it.

If a goal wasn't scored, the game just continues.

As we know, whether the flag is raised or not, VAR checks every goal and confirms offside or not.

Dundee's offside goal was a case in point. It was clearly off, but VAR double checked despite the flag having gone up.

I haven't thought this idea through but it might lead to fewer stoppages and I think it's worth discussion.
    There is a problem that VAR only checks certain things. For example in injury time Obita let the ball run out on purpose and it clearly looked like a Hibs ball - yet Dundee got the throw in. If Dundee had scored from that then VAR couldn't have checked that even if it was completely wrong. That would be just as bad as VAR missing an offside before a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    There is a problem that VAR only checks certain things. For example in injury time Obita let the ball run out on purpose and it clearly looked like a Hibs ball - yet Dundee got the throw in. If Dundee had scored from that then VAR couldn't have checked that even if it was completely wrong. That would be just as bad as VAR missing an offside before a goal.
    Also a good point.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Must admit, from my seat in west upper I was wondering what he was doing letting it go! Wasn’t completely clear but my instinct was saying that could be a Dundee throw.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Must admit, from my seat in west upper I was wondering what he was doing letting it go! Wasn’t completely clear but my instinct was saying that could be a Dundee throw.
    You could be right - either way I thought he should have kept it in and made a pass so we kept possession further up the pitch.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Do we even need linesmen

Quote Originally Posted by Squealing pig View Post
    Do we even need linesmen
    I was thinking similar. They are virtually redundant. They don't even seem to call whose thrown in it is, they just look to the ref and then flag accordingly.

I think 4th Official gave a foul today when Marcondes was smashed off the ball late on the half way line. Beaton had totally missed it and 4th official flagged it up.

I think 4th Official gave a foul today when Marcondes was smashed off the ball late on the half way line. Beaton had totally missed it and 4th official flagged it up.
    Totally agree and almost said the same in my above post but took it out. Linesman didn't have a clue and Beaton wasn't going to do anything so it could only have been the 4th official.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Totally agree and almost said the same in my above post but took it out. Linesman didn't have a clue and Beaton wasn't going to do anything so it could only have been the 4th official.
    I'm glad I wasn't imagining things Wasn't sure they were allowed to do it to be honest, but must be.

I'm glad I wasn't imagining things Wasn't sure they were allowed to do it to be honest, but must be.
    Yeah, think they must be allowed to say to the ref if they see something the rest have missed.

I'd actually prefer if they flagged immediately, but that play continued until the next stoppage then checked for "a clear or obvious error", which would mean daylight between the lines they draw on. If the lines are touching, they go with the linesman's decision. I don't think the technology is accurate enough to make it a definite yes or no.

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliEater View Post
    I'd actually prefer if they flagged immediately, but that play continued until the next stoppage then checked for "a clear or obvious error", which would mean daylight between the lines they draw on. If the lines are touching, they go with the linesman's decision. I don't think the technology is accurate enough to make it a definite yes or no.
    I agree that the check should be for a clear and obvious error but I don't really like the idea of the ball being 'provisionally' in play. So much can happen in that period, e.g. defender stops a shot with his hand - should he be sent off either way or only if the decision is onside.

I wonder if an appeal system could be used. Linesman flags immediately if he thinks it's offside but if the attacker thinks he got it wrong he can ask VAR to look at it and if VAR decides it's onside attacking side get an indirect free kick. It's not ideal but I would prefer it to the grey area otherwise created.

As far as offside is concerned I just think they need to be less meticulous. Maybe take the view that a substantial proportion of the attacker's body has to be offside such that it can generally be decided simply by looking at a couple of angles on the screen without having to draw lines to decide.

Players at the top level nowadays wear trackers, so surely the solution is to use the trackers to determine offside? A sensor in the ball would indicate the moment at which it is played.

Lower down, there aren't any trackers which is no different to the current situation where the lower leagues don't have VAR.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.