hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR again

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way that Motherwell line is from the armpit either!
    Shouldn't it be from the outside edge of the shoulder?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Spoke to a Everton fan today and he said watching the championship games as been far more enjoyable to watch basically because theres no VAR in it , I felt the same way whenever I've watched the Scottish championship games too.
    I watched the Championship game on Friday night and tbh I had mixed feelings.

There were a couple of big calls for goals... one dodgier than the other... but they were the sort that you'd expect VAR to sort out. It didn't feel entirely right to see an obvious mistake (albeit one that is easy to make in real time) not being rectified and an obvious injustice being carried out.

A lot of the stuff with VAR is still open to opinion. That offside call at the weekend - there's a bawhair in it and it has to go one way or the other. I do think the refs bring a lot of trouble on themselves but I'm much more ambivalent about the offside call at the weekend than I have been about many other calls (such as the handball nonsense at Pittodrie the previous week).

Testimonial Due
    HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!
    The Carabao Cup Final, Liverpool goal chocked off for technical offside???
    The player standing in offside position moved back onside when the kick was taken and prevented a defender from attacking the ball??
    Player who scored was always onside.
    New rule or just made up to suit the game?????

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Don’t think so…maybe conflating the T-shirt line for hand ball.

The FA has the following for offside:

The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered. For the purposes of determining offside, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit.

Quite what Scotland uses for VAR is clearly open to debate!

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!
    The player standing in offside position moved back onside when the kick was taken and prevented a defender from attacking the ball??
    In fairness I thought the Liverpool player who blocked the Chelsea player knew exactly what he was doing, he is not looking at the ball and is looking directly at the defender. He obstructs the defender deliberately whilst the ball is no where near them, so imho defo a foul.
    PS don't support either team.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Looks like the line is covering the Rangers players toes.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Looks like the line is covering the Rangers players toes.
    That gives Hearts players quite an advantage.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!
    I don’t really get the confusion around this. Someone in an offside position who interferes with play is typically penalised - nothing new about it

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    🤣

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Cricket my old lord. or old radge? Outside edge it just isn't cricket, or football these days. Who knows, apart from the guy in the van.

Would VAR be improved if when it came to making decisions the use of lines being drawn across computer screens was discarded?

If they look at a goal to try and investigate an offside and just look at the rerun, or freeze the frame if they wish, and a player looks right online with the defender then call it as being bang on line. If you need to spend time analysing angles and lines to microscopic levels to come to your decision it doesn’t justify any believed infringement.

When an outside agency has eliminated what was one of the great skills for strikers in springing offside traps and playing off the shoulder of defenders, alarm bells must surely be ringing.

The art of staying in line with the last defender has been lost to the game.

The penalty not given for hand ball in the Ross County v St Mirren just shows how bad the referees are. How the VAR isn’t flagging that up is beyond belief. Similar to our hand ball the other week, the referee on the pitch should just see it in the first place though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    The penalty not given for hand ball in the Ross County v St Mirren just shows how bad the referees are. How the VAR isn’t flagging that up is beyond belief. Similar to our hand ball the other week, the referee on the pitch should just see it in the first place though.
    Appalling decision. One look at that would have been enough. Obviously watching the Rangers highlights from the weekend

@hibs.net private member
    It was mentioned at the AGM that most referees in Scotland are still part time which has got me thinking. The standard of refereeing is really affecting our game right now (arguably always has but more obvious due to VAR.

How much would it actually cost to bring them up to full time which would surely see an increase in competence?

VAR is costing 1.2 million per season. Fag packet maths says we could have 15 full time refs on 40k a year (seems fair?) for £600k. That’s not £600k extra as we are already paying them a part time amount, although I have no idea how much that might be.

If we applied the same sliding scale as VAR this would probably work out around an extra £50k per season for the team in 3rd and down closer to £30k for those at the bottom. These figures might be lower depending on current wages.

Considering the financial cost of being out out a cup or fishing 1 place lower in the league due to one or more incorrect refereeing decisions (i appreciate the flip side that for every team that loses out another gains), I would be all for this and find it hard to believe with the amount of money in our game these days that this hasn’t already happened. Having a £1.2 million per season VAR set up to support part time refs and manned by part time staff seems daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    It was mentioned at the AGM that most referees in Scotland are still part time which has got me thinking. The standard of refereeing is really affecting our game right now (arguably always has but more obvious due to VAR.

How much would it actually cost to bring them up to full time which would surely see an increase in competence?

VAR is costing 1.2 million per season. Fag packet maths says we could have 15 full time refs on 40k a year (seems fair?) for £600k. That’s not £600k extra as we are already paying them a part time amount, although I have no idea how much that might be.

If we applied the same sliding scale as VAR this would probably work out around an extra £50k per season for the team in 3rd and down closer to £30k for those at the bottom. These figures might be lower depending on current wages.

Considering the financial cost of being out out a cup or fishing 1 place lower in the league due to one or more incorrect refereeing decisions (i appreciate the flip side that for every team that loses out another gains), I would be all for this and find it hard to believe with the amount of money in our game these days that this hasn’t already happened. Having a £1.2 million per season VAR set up to support part time refs and manned by part time staff seems daft.
    It will take more than just making them full time to improve the standard IMHO. Promoting the current referees isn't going to change a thing, the whole refereeing organisation needs to be disbanded and properly re-built which would include promoting the best referees from the whole of Scotland and not just those from Glasgow and Lanarkshire.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post

The current refs couldn’t afford to take that pay cut. Already have a full time job and get £800 per game (that figure is a couple of seasons old).

Instead of giving them excuses we should be performance managing them. We need more for wages like that - we even took the “only got one view” excuse away and it’s made little difference.

First Team Regular
    The impression I have is that VAR are only seriously involved in games where certain teams are playing. We all know who they are. Most other games VAR doesn't seem to bother much about scrutinising decisions. The exception seems to be Hibs games, when they are on our case constantly.

Just get rid of everything Scottish - VAR and Referees - and bring back foreign referees - Cypriot or whatever....................problems solved

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    It will take more than just making them full time to improve the standard IMHO. Promoting the current referees isn't going to change a thing, the whole refereeing organisation needs to be disbanded and properly re-built which would include promoting the best referees from the whole of Scotland and not just those from Glasgow and Lanarkshire.
    Too much like common sense

Quote Originally Posted by Criswell View Post
    The impression I have is that VAR are only seriously involved in games where certain teams are playing. We all know who they are. Most other games VAR doesn't seem to bother much about scrutinising decisions. The exception seems to be Hibs games, when they are on our case constantly.
    Don't think that is an impression it is reality.

@hibs.net private member
    Without a doubt full time referees is the way forward but you also need full time assistants and 4th officials.

Brendan Rodgers commented on our refereeing when asked about warnock taking the Aberdeen job. It’s holding the game back up here no doubt.

I’ve said numerous times before, as the refs are part time, they aren’t relying on refereeing to pay their bills and support their families.

If refereeing was their main source of income and poor performance could see them demoted or ultimately sacked and therefore unable to support their families, no matter their allegiance, you’d soon see an improvement across the board.

Also, if they go into work on a Monday morning and you have to face rangers or Celtic fans, they hardly want the flak from colleagues and customers.

Saw it this morning and they didn’t even look at the handball only the jersey pull! WTF

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    Without a doubt full time referees is the way forward but you also need full time assistants and 4th officials.

Brendan Rodgers commented on our refereeing when asked about warnock taking the Aberdeen job. It’s holding the game back up here no doubt.

I’ve said numerous times before, as the refs are part time, they aren’t relying on refereeing to pay their bills and support their families.

If refereeing was their main source of income and poor performance could see them demoted or ultimately sacked and therefore unable to support their families, no matter their allegiance, you’d soon see an improvement across the board.

Also, if they go into work on a Monday morning and you have to face rangers or Celtic fans, they hardly want the flak from colleagues and customers.
    The guy in VAR last night was a full time VAR ref - didn't do st Mirren any good

On second thoughts that might just mean his part time job of referring is full time on VAR?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    Just get rid of everything Scottish - VAR and Referees - and bring back foreign referees - Cypriot or whatever....................problems solved
    Aye.

Us Scots are incompetent. I wouldn't employ a Scot to empty my bins.

Give me a good old Englishman or someone from Greece.

Give me a Stuart Attwell anyday.

Or even better, Byron Moreno.

Scots? Cuh. You're having a laugh.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    A cheat who is a Scottish ref will still cheat whether he's part time or full time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    The guy in VAR last night was a full time VAR ref - didn't do st Mirren any good

On second thoughts that might just mean his part time job of referring is full time on VAR?

Their response to not giving a penalty was they were looking at a tug on the shirt and not at a hand ball. Strange as when a goal is scored and its dubious they look for offside, hand ball, shirt tug, obstruction. Anything not to give the goal.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    Their response to not giving a penalty was they were looking at a tug on the shirt and not at a hand ball. Strange as when a goal is scored and its dubious they look for offside, hand ball, shirt tug, obstruction. Anything not to give the goal.
    Even stranger as the guys arm is imitating him waving doon a bus!

I think the part time arrangement would actually be preferable to full time referees.

Referees involved full time with Scottish Football can only encompass them into the Old Firm centric bubble and influence even further. At least the part time arrange my keeps them at semi arms length.

“Professional” referees in Scotland is a dangerous road to be going down..

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    Mental.

Not just because the attacker did have his shirt half pulled off his back but the hand ball was part of exactly the same play.

You could argue what they have if the short pull incident somehow distracted them from a separate play later but as it was the same play how can you not notice that there is a very likely hand ball at the same time!

The Sky replays are very clear as well…it should have been a very quick and easy decision.

To have missed the whole thing completely and not even looked at it is simply inexcusable and inexplicable.