hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR again

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And the Rocky one early on that quite clearly hit his chest. A good 2 or 3 mins checking to see if it hit his arm. Compare that with a 10 second check on Aberdeens blatant hand ball last week. Farce
    TBF , I'm not sure they were checking Rocky there. I think they were checking Fish. Looked like the ball hit his right arm just inside the box.
    It was right in front of me and I was sure it was going to be a penalty.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    TBF , I'm not sure they were checking Rocky there. I think they were checking Fish. Looked like the ball hit his right arm just inside the box.
    It was right in front of me and I was sure it was going to be a penalty.
    The Will Fish one was well outside the box but you never know when it comes to officials/VAR looking for something to penalise us for.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    What if we just binned the offside rule altogether?
    Remember the '70s? Offside only from the 18 yard line in the league cup.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Remember the '70s? Offside only from the 18 yard line in the league cup.
    You don't have to remember the 70s, only earlier in this thread.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    You don't have to remember the 70s, only earlier in this thread.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Incredibly I'm going to defend John Beaton here (while heavily criticising var)

Honestly, if the lines were so close & so controversial (when the on field decision was goal) the var steer to today's ref (whoever it may have been) should have been "mate this is tight, do you want to look on the screen before making a call?"
    The ref isn't getting to review offside decisions though because they've convinced themselves that the 'technology' is absolute and that the lines categorically define whether you're offside or not. It's junk and it has to end. The clubs need to stand up to this because it's ruining their product and putting fans off.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    [AAttachment 27718
    Doesn't it need to be a part of the body you can score with to be deemed offside?

The real issue I have with these calls and I cant believe it isn't debated enough is - who decides when to pause it and that's the still image to use? 3-4 frames earlier (.25 seconds!) and Vente is miles onside.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    The real issue I have with these calls and I cant believe it isn't debated enough is - who decides when to pause it and that's the still image to use? 3-4 frames earlier (.25 seconds!) and Vente is miles onside.
    It doesn't include the touch for the pass at all so it's completely useless.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    From SFA website;

"If the lines do not overlap or touch, showing the attacker was either behind or in line with the defender, and show that the player was onside, or if the two lines do overlap, the on-field decision will be overturned and the goal will stand."

Compared to the wide frame views you get from England it’s a bit tin pot that’s for sure.

That said from the highlights and my top notch pausing on my TV this looks pretty accurate and I reckon it was the right call based on the rules as they are just now. Very tight but none the less offside.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Compared to the wide frame views you get from England it’s a bit tin pot that’s for sure.

That said from the highlights and my top notch pausing on my TV this looks pretty accurate and I reckon it was the right call based on the rules as they are just now. Very tight but none the less offside.
    Check two posts above, R.

Check two posts above, R.

So to be clear the rules DO state that if the lines touch then it’s considered onside?

If so then the lines clearly are touching as there is zero visible gap and therefore we were done?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    From SFA website;

"If the lines do not overlap or touch, showing the attacker was either behind or in line with the defender, and show that the player was onside, or if the two lines do overlap, the on-field decision will be overturned and the goal will stand."
    Is that the rule for everyone though, or just for Rangers and Celtc?

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    So to be clear the rules DO state that if the lines touch then it’s considered onside?

If so then the lines clearly are touching as there is zero visible gap and therefore we were done?
    Seems so. We're gaslit so often it's hard to tell if we're going for sh--- or a haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    One of the great skills of the game was beating the offside trap by keeping level with your defensive opponents.

Level - Not being forensically examined to look for a stray elbow or shoelace that has breached a line that some dullard sat in a stuffy cupboard somewhere has drawn across a computer screen- but level.

A once great skill has now become obsolete. The benefit of the doubt was always thought to be given to the attacking team. Now defence is king. VAR is anti football.
    Some of the greatest goal scorers in the history of the game would have had so many less goals to their name if playing in this era.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Won’t change a thing. Offside is binary, either onside or offside will always be by a millimetre. You can change where you draw the line but it will always be a case of millimetres.
    In theory but the technology is nowhere near fast enough or detailed enough for that theory to be reality. For what it is worth I think Vente was off but I'd like to see accurate as possible measure of accuracy calculated and for that to be in the attackers favour

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    In theory but the technology is nowhere near fast enough or detailed enough for that theory to be reality. For what it is worth I think Vente was off but I'd like to see accurate as possible measure of accuracy calculated and for that to be in the attackers favour
    The actual rules say he was onside.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by SerenityGreen View Post
    Good post and comments, I just watched and agree the offside against Vente is about as contentious as you could get. the lines were almost on top of each other. The pause and framing can make all the difference. I couldn't for the life of me imagine VAR ruling out that for the The Rangers. The pause and framing would have been one frame different to make it onside.
    Rangers had a similar one where they scored against Motherwell. The goal was given, obviously.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Some of the greatest goal scorers in the history of the game would have had so many less goals to their name if playing in this era.
    Pippo Inzaghi would still be waiting to get his first senior goal.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Get ready to see this countless times on Wednesday.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

Get ready to see this countless times on Wednesday.
    Can Rocky play with his arms taped to his sides, apparently the only natural position they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    No way that Motherwell line is from the armpit either!

Ach we didn’t expect anything else but for the rules to be bent as far as possible for the OF, VAR or not

Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    Can Rocky play with his arms taped to his sides, apparently the only natural position they can be.
    The term natural position is about as ridiculous as it comes. No two players run or jump in the same manner and whenever I see defenders forced into running with their arms behind their back its clear the lawmakers have failed utterly.

This will be be a boring thing to add to the conversation but I imagine they have a timecode on another camera angle that shows the moment of the kick they want to take it from and they'll just match it up to the same timecode on the angle that shows the offside/onside. That's at least how I imagine it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    This will be be a boring thing to add to the conversation but I imagine they have a timecode on another camera angle that shows the moment of the kick they want to take it from and they'll just match it up to the same timecode on the angle that shows the offside/onside. That's at least how I imagine it should work.
    How we imagine it works and how it is filtered through the interpretation of all those Glasgow based officials will be two completely different things, I imagine.

Why should we have to imagine when the pass is being made? Completely unprofessional.

Why do we have to imagine what Boyles' offside in the semi-final looked like? A camera actually at a proper angle would help and sans a curved line which took five minutes for some weegie crumb-ball to draw.

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    [AAttachment 27718
    Doesn't it need to be a part of the body you can score with to be deemed offside?
    Who decides where the vertical dotted line stops? There is no reference point at all that would accurately stop the dotted line when it hits the grass.

VAR is the biggest **** up to hit Scottish football in decades. Not because of what it's aiming to do, but because of the way it is implements and applied up here. It absolutely suffocates the life out of those moments that fans value most - great goals and spontaneity. It's often said the best referees are those you don't notice. Up here, referees use VAR to shine a big ****ing great spotlight on themselves - feeding their own arrogant, sense of self-importance. "Everyone look at me, while I take 4 minutes to decide what I want to do with your team/fans/player/manager."

At the Dundee game, time and again, I found myself forced to watch the referee's reaction for 3 -4 minutes after each Hibs goal and when they were "checking for penalty/offside/handball/bad hair day" - whatever might be used to penalise Hibs. The game has become a treasure hunt for west coast officials, looking for any excuse to screw you over - and great football moments are being sidelined and diluted. VAR is a mess that WILL drive fans from the game, and it needs to STOP.

Spoke to a Everton fan today and he said watching the championship games as been far more enjoyable to watch basically because theres no VAR in it , I felt the same way whenever I've watched the Scottish championship games too.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Spoke to a Everton fan today and he said watching the championship games as been far more enjoyable to watch basically because theres no VAR in it , I felt the same way whenever I've watched the Scottish championship games too.
    Can understand that completely.