hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR again

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I should have read the thread before replying much the same.
    No worries, hr. When they had games in the 70s with an offside line across an extended 18 yard line the experiment showed what would happen. Once players got used to it just shove a striker on that line and look for knockdowns. No offside at all would be even worse.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Beaton will be utterly raging too - clear foul on Hibs player at 1-1 allowing a Dundee attack. 30 seconds later 2-1 Hibs 😂 Nae luck Johnny Boy !!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    No worries, hr. When they had games in the 70s with an offside line across an extended 18 yard line the experiment showed what would happen. Once players got used to it just shove a striker on that line and look for knockdowns. No offside at all would be even worse.

The Dryburgh Cup. I enjoyed that competition. It eliminated midfield slogfests. Really opened the games up. Stretching the midfield giving players space. It was no coincidence that the flair teams did really well in that competition.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    The Dryburgh Cup. I enjoyed that competition. It eliminated midfield slogfests. Really opened the games up. Stretching the midfield giving players space. It was no coincidence that the flair teams did really well in that competition.
    Ok when it was a few games at the start of each season. Each year in, the football got more of an aerial battle and if football were played like that in every match game by game it would eradicate the need for most of the skills in midfield and just become a game for giants.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

I remember that. Didn't they try that in the Dryborough Cup?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I remember that. Didn't they try that in the Dryborough Cup?
    And in some LC section games iirc. Never took off.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Keep the pressure on - Lodge our concerns privately, receive an apology publicly.

Retain our dignity while exposing the farce of VAR.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Keep the pressure on - Lodge our concerns privately, receive an apology publicly.

Retain our dignity while exposing the farce of VAR.
    Key word there being “Lodge” 😂

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliEater View Post
    And when to pause the video - until we have cameras working at around 1000 frames per second in ultra-mega-super high resolution we can't be sure the pause happens as the pass is played - and is the pass played when the players foot first contacts the ball or when the ball leaves his foot? If we're going with the idea that offside is an absolute yes or no decision, then we have to have the required level of technology, and clarification of the law, to correctly rule on it. Under the pre-VAR version of the rule, Vente is inline and, therefore, onside.
    Good post and comments, I just watched and agree the offside against Vente is about as contentious as you could get. the lines were almost on top of each other. The pause and framing can make all the difference. I couldn't for the life of me imagine VAR ruling out that for the The Rangers. The pause and framing would have been one frame different to make it onside.

@hibs.net private member
    The off-side rule needs changing.
    We watch football to be entertained and goals are what we want to see.
    Calls like this are just ludicrous and the benefit should go with the attacker, not the defender.
    The sooner they change off-side being called when the whole body is in front of the last defender the better as far as I am concerned.
    VAR intervention would be easy then.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Is there not a trial going on in one of the European leagues that are giving goals if it's within a thicker line, i.e., they aren't drawing the thinner lines? I sincerely hope so.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ddoc View Post
    The sooner they change off-side being called when the whole body is in front of the last defender the better as far as I am concerned.
    VAR intervention would be easy then.
    Won’t change a thing. Offside is binary, either onside or offside will always be by a millimetre. You can change where you draw the line but it will always be a case of millimetres.

First Team Regular
    VAR is panning out just like I predicted. It would be used to give certain clubs every advantage and used to butcher other clubs; Hibs being the principal case in point. If it was seen in any other way the authorities would ditch it in an instant.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    [AAttachment 27718
    Doesn't it need to be a part of the body you can score with to be deemed offside?
    It’s honestly killing the game ☹️

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    One of the great skills of the game was beating the offside trap by keeping level with your defensive opponents.

Level - Not being forensically examined to look for a stray elbow or shoelace that has breached a line that some dullard sat in a stuffy cupboard somewhere has drawn across a computer screen- but level.

A once great skill has now become obsolete. The benefit of the doubt was always thought to be given to the attacking team. Now defence is king. VAR is anti football.

I’ve just watched the highlights back and can’t see what possible penalty award they were looking for with Dundee’s disallowed goal. Clear as day they’re looking for something that wasn’t there, rather than taking another look at something they’ve seen (which is fair enough). There is so much evidence we’re getting shafted by VAR.

As other posters have said, offside is easily fixed by thicker lines which, if overlapped at all would favour the attacking team as being level.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    I’ve just watched the highlights back and can’t see what possible penalty award they were looking for with Dundee’s disallowed goal. Clear as day they’re looking for something that wasn’t there, rather than taking another look at something they’ve seen (which is fair enough). There is so much evidence we’re getting shafted by VAR.

As other posters have said, offside is easily fixed by thicker lines which, if overlapped at all would favour the attacking team as being level.
    That was actually mental, looking for a possible foul, no wonder folk are paranoid about refs being against us.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    I’ve just watched the highlights back and can’t see what possible penalty award they were looking for with Dundee’s disallowed goal.
    I don't think they were looking for a penalty incident at all, rather it was a mistake by the screen operator.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I don't think they were looking for a penalty incident at all, rather it was a mistake by the screen operator.
    You could be right there but that just shows how bad VAR is for the paying supporter. We’ve not got much of a clue what is going on.

@hibs.net private member
    Why did they take 5 minutes for an offside 4 meters off

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Lines touching must mean level. The game is dying.
    Yeah that’s where I am with it. If the two lines are touching or overlapping then the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt. Should only be offside if there’s a gap between the lines.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    Yeah that’s where I am with it. If the two lines are touching or overlapping then the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt. Should only be offside if there’s a gap between the lines.
    Agree with that needs to be more given to attacking team ruling out good goals by inches or because the technology isn’t reliable doesn’t imo help the spirit of the game

Why would you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Why did they take 5 minutes for an offside 4 meters off
    Yep if only checking for offside wouldn’t have lasted so long

@hibs.net private member
    That would definitely ruin football.
    Well it's a good job that VAR isn't ruining football then.

@hibs.net private member
    I thought the same at the time tbh. Or a mistake by the stadium announcer

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    [AAttachment 27718
    Doesn't it need to be a part of the body you can score with to be deemed offside?
    The rules state...
    The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered. For the purposes of determining offside, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit.

Our VAR refs draw their lines from the arms/hands.
    Are they using their artistic license to determine the lines or just don't know the rules?

Gamer IDs

Is it next season they’re trialing the Wenger rule for offside? Think that sounds better than the current mess.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    That was actually mental, looking for a possible foul, no wonder folk are paranoid about refs being against us.
    And the Rocky one early on that quite clearly hit his chest. A good 2 or 3 mins checking to see if it hit his arm. Compare that with a 10 second check on Aberdeens blatant hand ball last week. Farce

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    And the Rocky one early on that quite clearly hit his chest. A good 2 or 3 mins checking to see if it hit his arm. Compare that with a 10 second check on Aberdeens blatant hand ball last week. Farce
    Was going to post the exact same thing. My gut feeling is refs and Var officials are going out their way to find something that isn’t there. Why did last weeks hand ball not stop play to be scrutinised for 2/3 mins. Was blatantly the same against Celtic as well.