hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR again

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrows tongue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's ruining Scottish football - time to say goodbye.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I absolutely can't stand the way VAR has changed the game. That being said, I still think there is a place for it going forward but only if both the offside and handball rules are changed.

Handball is easier to fix, as Stuart Lovell said today maybe we need to bring back the "intentional" definition to the rule.

Offside is harder, but it needs to be significantly changed if we are to keep VAR.

What we have now simply does not work for fans.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    The other we should be calling out was VAR desperately searching for a penalty when disallowing Curtis Main’s offside goal.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    That being said, I still think there is a place for it going forward but only if both the offside and handball rules are changed.

Offside is harder, but it needs to be significantly changed if we are to keep VAR.
    What if we just binned the offside rule altogether?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    What if we just binned the offside rule altogether?
    That would definitely ruin football.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    I absolutely can't stand the way VAR has changed the game. That being said, I still think there is a place for it going forward but only if both the offside and handball rules are changed.

Handball is easier to fix, as Stuart Lovell said today maybe we need to bring back the "intentional" definition to the rule.

What we have now simply does not work for fans.

What change would that be?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Really feel for Vente.

I’ve gave him a bit of stick but great movement and finish.

2 in a game would have been a huge boost for him.
    The vente goal should have stood,I had 3-1 hibs win in the work sweep,still 3 points and a win .not a bad day .

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    The upcoming experiment for offside where the whole body has to be clear of defender, will hopefully stop this current nonsense

For me if you've got poor quality referees in your league you're going to get poor VAR decisions. Unlike a lot of others I wouldn't have a problem with VAR if we had decent referees making unbiased decisions, but we don't.

It's utter *****.

I'd go back to a game with no VAR and contentious decisions over a game with VAR and contentious decisions anyday.

Incredibly I'm going to defend John Beaton here (while heavily criticising var)

Honestly, if the lines were so close & so controversial (when the on field decision was goal) the var steer to today's ref (whoever it may have been) should have been "mate this is tight, do you want to look on the screen before making a call?"

First Team Breakthrough
    It is a ridiculous decision, but happens every week around the country.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Why would it ruin footbal ????. I agree with the poster. It would open the game up. It's a stupid rule and it would stop defenders being lazy *******s and using it to their advantage and maybe make them play a bit more. Plus more goals would be scored. Is that not the ultimate aim in a game of footbal. Goals, Goals Goals.!!!!!!!
    What the **** do I know

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    How on earth was Rangers fourth goal not given as handball? Comes off his arm and sets up the goal on a plate.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Is there scope to use fatter lines, bring back the concept of being “level” (even if someone is offside or onside by a matter of centimetres) and adapt accordingly?

These Scottish decisions just feel so tin pot.

FWIW - that’s a very close call, a tough one for officials so I have a degree of sympathy for them here, whatever they decide. It’s not like last week’s, which was a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    How on earth was Rangers fourth goal not given as handball? Comes off his arm and sets up the goal on a plate.
    Because it’s the Huns. Boy was playing volleyball with it

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Thing about that is it's not a subjective decision. If it hits a hand of an attacking player before a goal, it's disallowed. No matter the intent or circumstances.

A perfect example of what used to be deemed level and on side. VAR had took level out of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Good question, hard to say exactly how to fix offside, don't want to repeat myself too much but I posted earlier in the thread about the margin for error and how it should be accounted for with thicker lines calculated based on what the specific margin for error is.

That way if the lines are touching then it's onside, end of story. You would still get calls where there is a tiny gap in between lines called offside but it would be far more acceptable to most when you'd be able to see with your own eyes the attacker is past the defender.

Not sure if it's a proper fix because the more I think about it how are the linesman in real time meant to referee it without var.... maybe not a foolproof solution after all ....

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNor View Post
    The other we should be calling out was VAR desperately searching for a penalty when disallowing Curtis Main’s offside goal.
    Agree. Kevin Harper (on Hibs TV) was unhappy with that also. As he said, they were meant to be looking at offside and then just go and check if they can find something else to hit us with. Total nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Norrieg View Post
    Why would it ruin footbal ????. I agree with the poster. It would open the game up. It's a stupid rule and it would stop defenders being lazy *******s and using it to their advantage and maybe make them play a bit more. Plus more goals would be scored. Is that not the ultimate aim in a game of footbal. Goals, Goals Goals.!!!!!!!
    What the **** do I know

It would open the game up so much that strikers would just hang around in the opposition box so defenders would have to hang around their own box. No more clever midfield play, no precise slide-rule passes with strikers running behind into space, no need for wingers taking on fullbacks as getting in behind wouldn't be necessary, a stretched out game of longbangers with players jostling around trying to win second balls. A bit like Rangers 1973/Alex MacDonalds jambos.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's utter *****.

I'd go back to a game with no VAR and contentious decisions over a game with VAR and contentious decisions anyday.
    This was always the case. At least in the old days you could say "OK, they don't have the benefit of replays".

Despise it. Goal line technology and intervening in cases of missed serious foul play off the ball only.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Correct. Arsene Wenger’s proposition on the other hand is exactly what the game needs IMO.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Lines touching must mean level. The game is dying.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Far to many games we are discussing VAR decisions instead of the football . It's been a disaster from day 1 and hasn't improved , if anything I think it's gotten worse .

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This was always the case. At least in the old days you could say "OK, they don't have the benefit of replays".

Despise it. Goal line technology and intervening in cases of missed serious foul play off the ball only.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    It’s quite simple really.

Any Hibs goal, needs to reviewed over and over to check if the minutest infringement has occurred to rule it out.

Any venture into the Hibs box by any opposition needs to reviewed over and over to check if the minutest infringement has occurred to award the opposition any positive decision for them.

It’s that blatant.

Quote Originally Posted by Norrieg View Post
    What the **** do I know

If there was no offside, teams would just have big strapping goal hangers standing in the 18 yard box, or the 6 yard box and the ball would be hoofed up towards them.

The midfield would be bypassed and actual skill would disappear.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Agree. Kevin Harper (on Hibs TV) was unhappy with that also. As he said, they were meant to be looking at offside and then just go and check if they can find something else to hit us with. Total nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It was Stuart Lovell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    It would open the game up so much that strikers would just hang around in the opposition box so defenders would have to hang around their own box. No more clever midfield play, no precise slide-rule passes with strikers running behind into space, no need for wingers taking on fullbacks as getting in behind wouldn't be necessary, a stretched out game of longbangers with players jostling around trying to win second balls. A bit like Rangers 1973/Alex MacDonalds jambos.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    I should have read the thread before replying much the same.