hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fly to and stay in Bergamo. Home of Atalanta. Beautiful city and you can do a day trip to Milan if you wanted. Flights from Edinburgh.
    Agree, Bergamo is a great city. Amazing food, friendly football and a cracking football team.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Las palmas in Rran Canaria and Real Mallorca are good for an easy holiday with a wee yin in being close to resorts and both in la liga. Warsaw and krakow both great cities and atmospheres whilst being cheap. I love Dusseldorf but not sure if the centre is more of a party town than for bairns. Venice is cool for kids and the stadium just appearing beside the canals is fun. Disneyland and psg can be combined obviously also Port adventure and Barca. Sure you will have a ball wherever

Interesting thread . Flights and availability of tickets for matches obviously very important . Also if OP wants to include other things for son ( theme park ? ) and if he wants to pack in more than one match . Atmosphere in stadiums ? Often better in grounds of " smaller " clubs . In Madrid , atmosphere at Atletico ( and maybe Rayo Vallecano too ) will be better than at Bernabau . Just as some Hearts fans say Tynecastle atmosphere is better than atmosphere at ER ( though I haven`t noticed a great atmosphere in Gorgie except in our end ) .
    Seville - a very good option but cause of summer heat and importance of Easter and spring fair , spring is high season so hotels and flights will be expensive so maybe best to leave till autumn . Someone mentioned paying 120€ for a Betis match . I`m sure tickets will be available for half that or much less . The stadium is never full except for odd Derby .
    Madrid - son will probably want to see Real . Better atmosphere at Atletico stadium and probably even better at Rayo Vallecano .
    If a glutton and want 2 matches in one weekend combine Real /Atletico/Rayo Vallecano or Betis/Sevilla with Cadiz ( good atmosphere and beautiful city ) .
    Bilbao - I`ve never been to San Mames ( old or new ) but have been to Bilbao . Stadium has often been voted as best in Spain for atmosphere including new stadium . San Sebastian where Real Sociedad play is a beautiful city with a lot to see and do . Not sure of flights from Edinburgh but I think there are flights from Edinburgh to places in SW France and it`s easy from there to get to San Sebastian . I´ve seen a lot of Real Sociedad fans travelling from France to San Sebastian for league and UEFA matches in recent years when I`ve been working in area or passing through .
    Lisbon - great city and 2 great stadiums .
    Oporto - not sure of flights but nice place to visit for a couple of days .

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Interesting thread . Flights and availability of tickets for matches obviously very important . Also if OP wants to include other things for son ( theme park ? ) and if he wants to pack in more than one match . Atmosphere in stadiums ? Often better in grounds of " smaller " clubs . In Madrid , atmosphere at Atletico ( and maybe Rayo Vallecano too ) will be better than at Bernabau . Just as some Hearts fans say Tynecastle atmosphere is better than atmosphere at ER ( though I haven`t noticed a great atmosphere in Gorgie except in our end ) .
    Seville - a very good option but cause of summer heat and importance of Easter and spring fair , spring is high season so hotels and flights will be expensive so maybe best to leave till autumn . Someone mentioned paying 120€ for a Betis match . I`m sure tickets will be available for half that or much less . The stadium is never full except for odd Derby .
    Madrid - son will probably want to see Real . Better atmosphere at Atletico stadium and probably even better at Rayo Vallecano .
    If a glutton and want 2 matches in one weekend combine Real /Atletico/Rayo Vallecano or Betis/Sevilla with Cadiz ( good atmosphere and beautiful city ) .
    Bilbao - I`ve never been to San Mames ( old or new ) but have been to Bilbao . Stadium has often been voted as best in Spain for atmosphere including new stadium . San Sebastian where Real Sociedad play is a beautiful city with a lot to see and do . Not sure of flights from Edinburgh but I think there are flights from Edinburgh to places in SW France and it`s easy from there to get to San Sebastian . I´ve seen a lot of Real Sociedad fans travelling from France to San Sebastian for league and UEFA matches in recent years when I`ve been working in area or passing through .
    Lisbon - great city and 2 great stadiums .
    Oporto - not sure of flights but nice place to visit for a couple of days .
    It was me that said that about the Betis tickets.

I still think I must be wrong too as it’s just not something I’ve encountered when going to matches in Europe before.

https://en.realbetisbalompie.es/tickets/

Looking at their website now though for the 2 games you can buy home tickets for and they’re €90 and €125. When I went I think I left it too late and the €90 tickets were gone. It was Valencia at home they were playing I think who are struggling a bit so didn’t seem like a big game.

I thought I would get cheaper from places around the city but never got any joy. Maybe €125 is just the going rate for matches now and I’m tight but I thought it was a bit much and with it being for the three of us (including the wife) we decided just to leave it and do the stadium tour if Sevilla instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    OM looking like it might work well. They are at home against Nice on 13th April and Ryanair flights look pretty cheap.

Just need to figure out hotel and how to get match tickets.
    Nice is probably their spiciest derby, bigger than PSG now since they disappeared off into the horizon. You probably wont see opposition fans though, but thats a good thing if youre taking your boy anyway, theres been a lot of trouble between those two ultra groups. I took my son who was probs 13 at the time, the family section has a great view of the pitch, but the views are great anywhere really. I went to that fixture maybe 6 years ago, the atmosphere was incredible (asthma or breathing problems, dont forget your inhaler, pyros can set you off), if you can get tickets for that, grab and enjoy.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 24-02-2024 at 06:08 AM.

Go to the Mestalla (Valencia) before it is knocked down (or falls down).

@hibs.net private member
    Done Dortmund, Malaga and Valencia. All well worth a trip.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Going to hospitality at Accrington Stanley v Bradford on Saturday 8th March.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I loved Bilbao. Gorgeous city. Stunning stadium & i found it easy enough to get tickets (against athletico madrid)
    Would quite fancy that to be honest.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    Marseille ticks all your boxes. Cheap flights from Edinburgh, and the best atmosphere I have experienced at any match ever (and that's in 50+ years of going to games). And the game we went to was pretty meaningless but the atmosphere was still astonishing.

Go for it.
    Yep, Marseille is awesome. The team aren't doing great just now but it's an awesome atmosphere. Great city too, similar to Naples in a lot of ways

I would recommend Lisbon anytime of the year. Got tickets for Benfica quite easily. Atmosphere was great, easy to get to the stadium.

Real Betis have 60k season ticket holders but they reckon on any given match day there's about 5k released back to the club. Problem with that is that you do struggle to get tickets together unless its the top tiers and even then your looking around €100. I've not been since they rebuilt the South stand and added about 10k to the capacity but have been to loads of their games home and away and never had problems getting a ticket so surprised its difficult now. There used to be an official Edinburgh supporters club but again no idea if they are still on the go or not. Betis are a fantastic club, proper football club who do loads for the people of Sevilla. It is an amazing city with loads to do for adults and kids including Isla magica if its open. It is roasting in the summer though but not much of an issue if its football season.

Madrid is amazing as well and should get tickets no problem for Real games. Not sure about Atletico as not been to the new stadium. Getafe are also from Madrid and tickets for their games are easy to get unless its against one of the other Madrid teams. Anyways their stadium is pretty close to the Warner Bros theme park and think they do theme rooms and stuff at their hotels. If he likes Batman and stuff he'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsidehibby View Post
    I would recommend Lisbon anytime of the year. Got tickets for Benfica quite easily. Atmosphere was great, easy to get to the stadium.
    I'm quite fancying a trip back to see Betis after reading this thread but if I hadn't, Lisbon would 100% be my choice.

@hibs.net private member
    Ryanair have got a decent sale on just now for travel between 1st April and 30th June but needs to be booked by tomorrow. Worth a look

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I'm quite fancying a trip back to see Betis after reading this thread but if I hadn't, Lisbon would 100% be my choice.
    I'm fancying a trip to see Betis too (for the first time). Always liked their kit/colours (naturally enough I suppose)

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Only been to a couple of top flight away days/weekends in Europe. Roma and Benfica would highly recommend both.

On international duty I'd say I'd recommend Munich Warsaw and again Rome.

First Team Breakthrough
    Looking to take my 10 year old abroad for a city break and take in a game. Looking for cheap flights from Edinburgh and somewhere with a decent sized atmosphere but also where it's possible to get tickets.

Any thoughts.
    Been doing trips for football game’s regularly last 18 months. Eindhoven is cheap and easy to get to Friday to Monday flights from April. Went there 3 times last season. Catch a Fc Eindhoven match on the Friday night and psv the sat or Sunday if it works. Madrid also a great option been to see vallecano,Alcorcon, A Madrid, Leganes games when I was over. Sometimes 3 games one weekend is possible with getafe and Real Madrid possible.

Looking to take my 10 year old abroad for a city break and take in a game. Looking for cheap flights from Edinburgh and somewhere with a decent sized atmosphere but also where it's possible to get tickets.

Any thoughts.
    Bergamo and an Atalanta game.