hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70

Football weekend trip ideas

Looking to take my 10 year old abroad for a city break and take in a game. Looking for cheap flights from Edinburgh and somewhere with a decent sized atmosphere but also where it's possible to get tickets.

Any thoughts.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Barcelona, Madrid, Naples, Milan all good options. Outside of the derbies, you should get tickets for any of them easy enough.

Maybe consider Poland? Cheap flights available to several cities. There are a few Derby fixtures where the atmosphere should be pretty good.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Staying in Düsseldorf gives you the option to go to Dortmund, Gladbach, Leverkusen , Koln, games in the bundesliga and Dusseldorf, Schalke in Bundesliga 2. Leverkusen have the smallest stadium(30000) but the rest are all 50,000 plus. Gladbach and düsseldorf probably the easiest to get tickets. I've been to them all, except Schalke, and the atmosphere has been fantastic.
    Last edited by Mr Grieves; 23-02-2024 at 07:13 PM.

Amsterdam to Rotterdam.

where does he want to go ?

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Manchester I'll guess

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesdaft16 View Post
    Manchester I'll guess
    only if he typed citeh

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesdaft16 View Post
    Amsterdam to Rotterdam.
    The song the beautiful south wanted to sing.

only if he typed citeh
    true that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    The song the beautiful south wanted to sing.
    The tune was going through my head when I posted it haha.

Seville when Betis are at home (I'll grudgingly accept Sevilla might be alright as well).

Belfast is a good trip. A Cliftonville game at Solitude is fairly easy to get tickets for albeit you have to register in advance. I've been a couple of times and have been heartily welcomed as a Hibs fan. Crusaders is their big rivalry and usually a good atmosphere, Glentoran and particularly Linfield are also the big rivalry games.

Visited the Allianz when in Munich, great weekend, 1860 were playing their games there at the time, good game v Union Berlin..
    Train straight from Munich to the ground, can have a beer during the game too! ( you not your grandson, lol)
    Great stadium for him to see too.

Lisbon, Sevilla, Milan, Madrid & Krakow.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    It’s a shame Malaga have gone down the Leagues
    Been to La Rosalida stadium a number of times
    Great atmosphere and easy to get to

Ajax also do resell of tickets, again easy to get to as well

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Looking to take my 10 year old abroad for a city break and take in a game. Looking for cheap flights from Edinburgh and somewhere with a decent sized atmosphere but also where it's possible to get tickets.

Any thoughts.
    I loved Bilbao. Gorgeous city. Stunning stadium & i found it easy enough to get tickets (against athletico madrid)

@hibs.net private member
    Marseille ticks all your boxes. Cheap flights from Edinburgh, and the best atmosphere I have experienced at any match ever (and that's in 50+ years of going to games). And the game we went to was pretty meaningless but the atmosphere was still astonishing.

Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Seville when Betis are at home (I'll grudgingly accept Sevilla might be alright as well).

Belfast is a good trip. A Cliftonville game at Solitude is fairly easy to get tickets for albeit you have to register in advance. I've been a couple of times and have been heartily welcomed as a Hibs fan. Crusaders is their big rivalry and usually a good atmosphere, Glentoran and particularly Linfield are also the big rivalry games.
    100% PB.

I follow Betis closely, but never been to the Benito Villamarin.

Will go some day.

Taken grandson along with m8,s taking their sons,on tod etc to Madrid, Munich, Milan and Valencia over recent years, Valencia is all of our top choices,cracking old stadium, decent stadium tour and cracking places to eat and drink,usually trips are in the November and weather in Valencia was superb.

Left by mutual consent!
    Personally, I would base myself in or around Luxembourg. Only a two hour flight or thereabouts. A beautiful small country, with lots of designer shops, cafes etc. The not too far away city of Trier in Germany well worth the day visit, Luxembourg also does train links to Cologne another lovely place with FC Kohn a potential game to take in. The trains take a few hours, or hire a car? Could do a lot worse. Luxembourg is a seriously good place to visit, surprisingly so. with some not that far away beautiful places to visit, across the German border, to the Moselle river, and valleys, Koblenz, Trier etc. Trier is a beautiful city, with an ancient colosseum at the heart of it.
    Last edited by Bakerman; 23-02-2024 at 08:37 PM.

Marseille. As has been said, the atmosphere is indescribable. Ryanair seem to have stopped the cheap flights it looks like, but probably back on by Easter. Im going over in a fortnight.

First Team Regular
    Bit more left field but I really enjoyed Budapest and going to see ferencvaros atmosphere was great, cheap tickets and an all round great city.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Marseille. As has been said, the atmosphere is indescribable. Ryanair seem to have stopped the cheap flights it looks like, but probably back on by Easter. Im going over in a fortnight.
    A great suggestion. Oldest city in France. Bustling port city. Poland was another good one with cheapish flights, and great places to visit there, while taking in some good football. I'm tempted myself to visit somewhere I've not been before like these suggestions.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This is next on my bucket list their stadium and fans top anything else for me.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

In theory Sevilla is a good shout as normally one of the teams are at home however I went there last year with my boy thinking we’d get to Betis or Sevilla depending on who was at home.

Betis tickets were really hard to get and the ones we could get were about £120 each and individual seats. Think their stadium is sold out with season ticket holders and you’re relying on their ticket exchange from folk that can’t go. My mates went to seville a few months before and got tickets for Sevilla for about £30 nae bother.

Wherever the OP decides to go to he should do a stadium tour, my laddie never been a museum kind of kid (prefers doing stuff to looking at things) but he absolutely loved the Sevilla tour, was brilliant.

Dussledorf would be my suggestion, someone else mentioned it but ticks all the boxes the OP was looking for.

Fly to and stay in Bergamo. Home of Atalanta. Beautiful city and you can do a day trip to Milan if you wanted. Flights from Edinburgh.

Gamer IDs

Rome or Madrid in our initial discussions but he's not too fussed. Some great ideas guys cheers

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    Staying in Düsseldorf gives you the option to go to Dortmund, Gladbach, Leverkusen , Koln, games in the bundesliga and Dusseldorf, Schalke in Bundesliga 2. Leverkusen have the smallest stadium(30000) but the rest are all 50,000 plus. Gladbach and düsseldorf probably the easiest to get tickets. I've been to them all, except Schalke, and the atmosphere has been fantastic.
    Would back this. Düsseldorf a great wee place.

We done Borussia Dortmund and also Borussia Mönchengladbach over the same weekend last year and have to say the gladbach setup was outstanding. Superb unofficial fanzone 5 minutes from the stadium with wee mini pitches for the kids etc. cheap ticket prices and brilliant atmosphere in a lovely stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Hibernian Verse organised a game at Werder Bremen as part of my stag doo. Would hugely recommend. Whole match day experience was first class.

Gamer IDs

OM looking like it might work well. They are at home against Nice on 13th April and Ryanair flights look pretty cheap.

Just need to figure out hotel and how to get match tickets.

Don't know if it's true though heard Borussia Dortmund's quite an experience with the yellow wall I think it's called.