hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only from the usual suspects. Partner club gives a us player. He doesnt get over his injury, so he goes back. Its cost us nothing and as we stopped Hanlon going out on loan we have loads of cover.

Never heard anything about that. What more do you know about it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by sauzee1989 View Post
    That’s the issue Obita is the only half decent centre half we have, and he’s a left back.
    Really. I thought he was our man of the match playing that position against Rangers. To say he was only only half decent is a bit harsh on him. Imo.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Are there any players available on a free transfer that we can pick up in case of emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Aw go on then I’ll be a “usual suspect”

Signing an already injured player in a problem area when we’re crying out for more quality in there seemed bizarre at the time.

It doesn’t seem any less bizarre now that he’s away back down the road.

We haven’t addressed our defensive issues with the quality we were needing
    This 👆

We’re paying the price for not making the right decisions. The people responsible will no doubt not be held to account and the manager will once again carry the can.
    Unless we can pull off a minor miracle and beat a very good and in form Dundee and Hearts side, then it’ll be curtains for Monty.

Those same people will no doubt be charged with bringing in yet another manager!

Sure he'll be a pub quiz question in the future

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Sure he'll be a pub quiz question in the future
    Up there with the boy from Newcastle (Airey?) who played one game then decided he was homesick.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee1875 View Post
    Looks far too small to be a CB in this league
    Are you viewing him up close or far away?

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    S**t happens!!!!!! Oh well.

@hibs.net private member
    Weird one.

I get there is no loss for Hibs here but I'm not sure given our defensive record that this was the position to take a punt on.

Megwa is also away so let's just hope Cadden can stay fit.

A wonderful bit of business by the recruitment team. The streets will never forget the name Bevan

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    Really. I thought he was our man of the match playing that position against Rangers. To say he was only only half decent is a bit harsh on him. Imo.

Obita has been the stand out player for some weeks now. Often looks real class.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee1875 View Post
    Looks far too small to be a CB in this league
    Maybe he's just far away

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage-Patch View Post
    A wonderful bit of business by the recruitment team. The streets will never forget the name Bevan
    Did they think his name was Bevvy and thought it'd look great having the sponsor on the front and back of the strip.😅

We desperately needed a couple of experienced ready to go centre halfs from the start of January, we send an inexperienced one that has been injured two months prior to signing and peoples attitude is "oh well, never cost anything"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post

He’s very good going forward but he needs to be better defensively, not just him may I add.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage-Patch View Post
    Indeed.

Imagine having to bin your replica and name-printed Hibs top before even getting the chance to spill beer on it.

FFS

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post

Poor defender. Last three games made identical mistakes. Cross going over his head, which lead to st Mirren and Celtics first goals . And against ICT boy hits the bar .

Decent player going forward

Montgomery saying in his pre match interview that we’ve got an eye on him for the future so won’t be surprised to see him back in the summer.

Was an odd signing in terms of what we needed in January though IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I disagree. How many out of the 5 CB’s are good enough?

Losing headers in the middle of your box is mainly on the CB’s for me.

You’re underestimating what having a no nonsense CB who’s not scared to put his head in where it hurts does for a team imo

But I reckon we’re never going to share the same view here and happy to accept that

I think the player you're describing there is Rocky. I feel he's pretty solid in the air and he's certainly got the build. Look at the stick he gets? Which is unwarranted imo. He's being asked to be Maldini and bring the ball out from the back, which is where his weakness lies. Stick him in the box and tell him to clear it out and I think he'd be exactly what you're asking for.

These big no nonsense CB's don't really exist anymore, not at our level and with our aspirations. Aberdeen have been looking for one for years, Hearts have Halkett who is the only defender they have that could be described as such, and he's perma-injured. So if you can name me a no nonsense CB in our league I'd be interested to know who this player is, that he actually exists in the modern game? Celtic have Carter-Vickers and the huns have Goldson, but that's a different price range and both are more than big huddies that clear their box.

I get what you're saying, and I can see the need for experience, which, in everyones view, is what we're lacking, but a big 6ft 2in centre half that blooters the ball away is not something I recognise in the game anymore. Bit like an out and out Number 9, like Vente, there is no place for them in the modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    I think the player you're describing there is Rocky. I feel he's pretty solid in the air and he's certainly got the build. Look at the stick he gets? Which is unwarranted imo. He's being asked to be Maldini and bring the ball out from the back, which is where his weakness lies. Stick him in the box and tell him to clear it out and I think he'd be exactly what you're asking for.

These big no nonsense CB's don't really exist anymore, not at our level and with our aspirations. Aberdeen have been looking for one for years, Hearts have Halkett who is the only defender they have that could be described as such, and he's perma-injured. So if you can name me a no nonsense CB in our league I'd be interested to know who this player is, that he actually exists in the modern game? Celtic have Carter-Vickers and the huns have Goldson, but that's a different price range and both are more than big huddies that clear their box.

I get what you're saying, and I can see the need for experience, which, in everyones view, is what we're lacking, but a big 6ft 2in centre half that blooters the ball away is not something I recognise in the game anymore. Bit like an out and out Number 9, like Vente, there is no place for them in the modern game.
    Rocky isn’t no nonsense, far from it. I can’t remember us losing many goals from him trying to be Maldini. But you only need to go back to his last game when he failed to deal with a big punt up the park.

Hearts have lost less than a goal a game with the likes of Kent and Rowles and I don’t think I’d describe either of them as being particularly good football players. They defend though. As big a reason they are where they are as Shankland. Make his goals count for something.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Rocky isn’t no nonsense, far from it. I can’t remember us losing many goals from him trying to be Maldini. But you only need to go back to his last game when he failed to deal with a big punt up the park.

Hearts have lost less than a goal a game with the likes of Kent and Rowles and I don’t think I’d describe either of them as being particularly good football players. They defend though. As big a reason they are where they are as Shankland. Make his goals count for something.

Rocky is an athlete with raw attributes but can't do the basics in what his job should be, defend. The guy should be nowhere near our team and the fact people want him in shows how piss poor our defence is, something not addressed this winter. And before people start and say January is hard to recruit in, we had the same problem last year and signed a centre half we have already loaned out already for not being good enough. Negligence by whoever the recruitment team are.

I don't think he is describing Rocky . Rocky's ok to decent in the air though I think both Fish and Hanlon are probably better . His strengths are I think as you say he's physically strong , mobile and faster than he looks . He's a player imo like Porto or Ambrose that likes to drive out of defense with the ball and is better than both Fish and Hanlon at that .

What I do agree with what you say about the stick the guy gets being unwarranted which was obvious early doors when he asked why the fans didn't like him even though when we signed him I don't think he had played a lot of first team football and since then he's steadily improved and hopefully will continue too .

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

I don't see enough of them to make a call on their footballing abilities, but I've seen enough to say I wouldn't describe either as no nonsense CB's, as Stuart93 seems to be saying. Rowles in particular is built like the gable end of a sheet of A4, but what they do have, in Kent, is an experienced player, a decent age, and by the bits and bobs I hear from Jambos, a leader. That is what we lack. Experience and leadership are at the root of our CB issues. Add to that the fact we have an LB and RB that aren't great at stopping cross balls, then we will always struggle.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

I think Rocky is a little harshly treated however his heading isn't a great part of his game. If he could improve that he would be much nearer what we need defensively.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I think Rocky is a little harshly treated however his heading isn't a great part of his game. If he could improve that he would be much nearer what we need defensively.
    Each to their own opinion but I feel Rocky is pretty decent in the box. I think Fish or Rocky would be fine with someone helping to organise beside them. Hanlon was that player for a long time but age has caught up with him.

Anyhow, still not seen anyone suggest a no nonsense CB we should sign. Those players just aren't enough in the modern game. Pep has a lot answer for. 😁
    Last edited by VoltaireHibs; 24-02-2024 at 09:30 AM.