hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gubbz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If fans are voting for the fan ownership % to drop way below the 25.1% safety net and potentially to 0% at the next takeover (as per changes to articles of association) I’d be wanting much more black and white assurances than a bit of gossip from a couple businessmen with no non-monetary skin in the game.

Don’t think you should be so dismissive of fans who want to do a bit of due diligence on the future of our club.

You’re allowed to support the club and be concerned about an irreversible change to ownership (for a potential one off windfall) such as the current proposal.
    Great post .

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It wasn't Gordon Brown's financial meltdown. It was a global recession and it's widely accepted, across the political spectrum, that Brown deserved huge credit for steering the country away from the worst of it.

But yes, RBS were hit hard but that was because of the cavalier attitude it had to risk.
    A little off track but Brown did encourage the ABN buy out. He loved the idea of RBS becoming a world powerhouse. He had many liquid lunches with Fred back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper1875 View Post
    So shareholders haven’t been told then. And you are using quotes from the press . Last thing ld be doing is trusting what the press say. I’d be suprised if there isn’t a presentation on the BK investment to woo shareholders and facilitate a positive vote and AGM
    Minor shareholders like us will get told nothing tbh. As it always the case. Our shares are really just symbolism. I’ve got shares in other companies and I get even less information from them. My original point was there is nothing in that article that hasn’t already been announced.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    A little off track but Brown did encourage the ABN buy out. He loved the idea of RBS becoming a world powerhouse. He had many liquid lunches with Fred back then.
    Yes, well off track but nonsense. RBS were already a global powerhouse and the idea that Brown had influence on their reckless investments is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Yes, well off track but nonsense. RBS were already a global powerhouse and the idea that Brown had influence on their reckless investments is ludicrous.
    Yup. RBS at one point were the largest company in the world by assets, close to 2 trillion. The idea that they needed the buy out to become a world powerhouse is simply not correct.

@hibs.net private member
    It wasn't Gordon Brown's financial meltdown. It was a global recession and it's widely accepted, across the political spectrum, that Brown deserved huge credit for steering the country away from the worst of it.

But yes, RBS were hit hard but that was because of the cavalier attitude it had to risk.
    Global recession caused by RBS and Fred goodwin’s ego driven purchase of ABN Amro.

Off topic sorry

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeffernan View Post
    A very choreographed piece which I suspect was written to order and clearly aimed at getting the ducks in a row for the AGM Foley vote.
    This weeks very public complaint to the SFA about Saturdays VAR decision is another obvious PR job to get all supporters onside including those attending the AGM.
    Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    The FSA report stated Gordon Brown encouraged "light touch" regulation in order to help the deal go through. That came after many meetings between the two. I saw GB with my own eyes at least 3 times over a 3 month period.

It was the ABN deal that killed RBS. Again as per the FSA report. and that deal was actively encouraged by the PM at the time. Fred Goodwin was a megalomaniac but was at no point put off by the UK government.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    When is the deadine for voting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    6pm on Sunday 25th if you want to vote by email.

6pm on Tuesday 27th if you want to vote in person.
    I don't think that's correct.

That's the time of the meeting. The vote itself will be taken at the meeting; you don't need to vote in advance of it if you're going.

There is a stinger, though, which I don't think applied in the past. You need to tell them in advance if you are going. agm@hibernianfc.co.uk

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

That's the time of the meeting. The vote itself will be taken at the meeting; you don't need to vote in advance of it if you're going.

There is a stinger, though, which I don't think applied in the past. You need to tell them in advance if you are going. agm@hibernianfc.co.uk
    Where are you seeing that CWG? I got this yesterday but no mention of advance notification that you're attending:

"We would like to remind members that the Hibernian Supporters Annual General Meeting takes place at the Hibernian Supporters Association at Sunnyside at 7pm tomorrow.
    The meeting will be held in the Pat Stanton Suite which is located upstairs within the club.

We want to take this opportunity to encourage as many of our members as possible to attend the meeting tomorrow evening, given it is one of the most important AGMs we’ve held to date with much to be discussed.
    A strong attendance will ensure we are well placed ahead of the club’s AGM next week, which will also be an important event.

Please note only full members of Hibernian Supporters will be entitled to attend the AGM and to place a vote.

If you have any questions, or would like to discuss anything with us by email, please contact us on info@hiberniansupporters.co.uk.

James Adie
    Hibernian Supporters chairman"

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RMQ1967 View Post
    Where are you seeing that CWG? I got this yesterday but no mention of advance notification that you're attending:

"We would like to remind members that the Hibernian Supporters Annual General Meeting takes place at the Hibernian Supporters Association at Sunnyside at 7pm tomorrow.
    The meeting will be held in the Pat Stanton Suite which is located upstairs within the club.

We want to take this opportunity to encourage as many of our members as possible to attend the meeting tomorrow evening, given it is one of the most important AGMs we’ve held to date with much to be discussed.
    A strong attendance will ensure we are well placed ahead of the club’s AGM next week, which will also be an important event.

Please note only full members of Hibernian Supporters will be entitled to attend the AGM and to place a vote.

If you have any questions, or would like to discuss anything with us by email, please contact us on info@hiberniansupporters.co.uk.

James Adie
    Hibernian Supporters chairman"
    That's the HSL AGM.

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    That's the HSL AGM.
    Ahhh thanks -

A very choreographed piece which I suspect was written to order and clearly aimed at getting the ducks in a row for the AGM Foley vote.
    This weeks very public complaint to the SFA about Saturdays VAR decision is another obvious PR job to get all supporters onside including those attending the AGM.
    and..........?

Understandable. I know a few folk who had significant losses. The funny thing is that it didn't really affect their day to day lives at all, because the losses were investments not income or ready capital.

You seem about as stoic about it as they were. 👍
    There were a lot of staff members who had shares and were using that towards retirement planning - it might have not impacted the today but the tomorrow it certainly did.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

That's what I meant to say - you need to be there to vote on the 27th.

In my defence it was well past bed time when I posted.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    That's what I meant to say - you need to be there to vote on the 27th.

In my defence it was well past bed time when I posted.
    Gotcha.

I'm still waiting on clarification on whether it's BST or GMT

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    There were a lot of staff members who had shares and were using that towards retirement planning - it might have not impacted the today but the tomorrow it certainly did.
    Definitely. The high street local banks like RBS, and BOS, etc have never fully recovered from the global recession of 2007/08. It was a catastrophe not seen since the great depression of the thirties. Plus the fact, that most of it is online now, with local branches shutting down in droves. I feel very sorry for a lot of the staff, who not only watched their shares plummet, but also hundreds if not thousands of branches closed or closing. Apologies for taking the thread slightly off track last night.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The FSA report stated Gordon Brown encouraged "light touch" regulation in order to help the deal go through. That came after many meetings between the two. I saw GB with my own eyes at least 3 times over a 3 month period.

It was the ABN deal that killed RBS. Again as per the FSA report. and that deal was actively encouraged by the PM at the time. Fred Goodwin was a megalomaniac but was at no point put off by the UK government.
    I think you need to read that article again.

The changes to banking regulation occurred long before the ANB deal was ever conceived.

Brown and Goodwin were friends, but Goodwin ran the bank and I doubt very much that he consulted the then Prime Minister on the fine detail of RBS’s recklessness. Some of his own board members admitted that they didn’t understand the risk or fine detail of that totally irresponsible venture.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gubbz View Post
    If fans are voting for the fan ownership % to drop way below the 25.1% safety net and potentially to 0% at the next takeover (as per changes to articles of association) I’d be wanting much more black and white assurances than a bit of gossip from a couple businessmen with no non-monetary skin in the game.

Don’t think you should be so dismissive of fans who want to do a bit of due diligence on the future of our club.

You’re allowed to support the club and be concerned about an irreversible change to ownership (for a potential one off windfall) such as the current proposal.
    An excellent post and unfortunate that thread has been hijacked by Gordon Brown debate . Worrying word is " irreversible " . Hopefully that is not the case and we as supporters can get our act together and turn things round if coming changes are confirmed and don`t lead to results ( on and off field ) many are hoping for .

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    An excellent post and unfortunate that thread has been hijacked by Gordon Brown debate . Worrying word is " irreversible " . Hopefully that is not the case and we as supporters can get our act together and turn things round if coming changes are confirmed and don`t lead to results ( on and off field ) many are hoping for .
    What results on the field are many hoping for that you hope this doesn’t lead to?
    Last edited by greenlex; 23-02-2024 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    What results on the field are many hoping for that you hope this doesn’t lead to?
    Not sure if I`ve expressed myself badly but I`ve read it several times and certainly understand what I meant to say . If proposed measures take place and club is in a bad way on and off field in next year or 5 or ten years` time then it`s important that we`re not starting from zero with saving our club . Many supporters seem to think that a few million pounds will see our club suddenly become more successful ( whatever that means ) and are prepared to get that " success " at the expense of how club is run and even worse endanger existence of club .

Goodwin didn’t want to lose face by letting Barclays “win” ABN. Nothing to do with government backing or ambitions to become bigger. They were already a behemoth at that point. RBS had a reputation for carrying out forensic due diligence on their acquisitions as they grew. The ABN purchase was the only one where that approach wasn’t followed. Because the CEO was insistent it had to be bought.