hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Nisbet

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

Kevin Nisbet

Out of contention for the Euros after suffering a ‘significant hamstring injury’. That laddie has had nae luck. Feel for him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out of contention for the Euros after suffering a ‘significant hamstring injury’. That laddie has had nae luck. Feel for him.
    Shame for the boy to get injured but unless he had a miraculous up turn on form in the next 3 months don't think he was going to Germany anyway.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    5 goals in 26 matches. Shankland is at the front of that queue

Yeh agree, he wasn't going to Germany anyway, or if he was it is unlikely he was going to get any game time.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Huge blow for Nizzie, he seems pretty prone to these injuries now. Hopefully he's picking up a big wedge down south atm. I still feel at his best he was a better forward than shankland.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    5 goals in 26 matches. Shankland is at the front of that queue
    In a much harder league than our league and with a lot more competition for places at his club too.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesdaft16 View Post
    In a much harder league than our league and with a lot more competition for places at his club too.
    Our leagues that easy, how many strikers outside old firm have banged in 20+ goals in a season in the past 10 years.

If Shankland isn't singing FoS on 14/06, I'll eat a bath of beans*

*- unless he was out because of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    Our leagues that easy, how many strikers outside old firm have banged in 20+ goals in a season in the past 10 years.
    The standard of the league has went downhill over the past 10 years in comparison to others. Van Veen done it last season and couldn't get a game for Groningen in the Dutch reserve league.

The standard of the league has went downhill over the past 10 years in comparison to others. Van Veen done it last season and couldn't get a game for Groningen in the Dutch reserve league.
    I think our league does alright compared to the Swiss and Hungarian leagues. They're the key matches. Fancy we'll get a result opening night which means our problem will be staying focused on two wins.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post

Have this fear Clarke will pick Jacob Brown over him. Shankland should be one of the first names in the squad for the Euro's.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I think our league does alright compared to the Swiss and Hungarian leagues. They're the key matches. Fancy we'll get a result opening night which means our problem will be staying focused on two wins.
    True that. I don't think there will be many SPL based players in the starting team to play they games though tbh, maybe 2 at a push and one wont be shankland. Good option to come off the bench if needing a goal mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Have this fear Clarke will pick Jacob Brown over him. Shankland should be one of the first names in the squad for the Euro's.
    Don't think that's how it will go at all.

I say this not knowing you at all, and at risk of getting tarred and feathered, but mind when John Robertson was tearing it up and couldn't get a game for love nor money? (If you're as old as me 😬). It was mad he wasn't getting picked. Played a small amount of games eventually with a good return but got dropped again. I thought that was wrong at the time. shankland's knocking them in. Clarke believes in our league. Nowhere else has Scots scoring as much. Shankland starts.

But **** the hearts.
    Last edited by Glory Lurker; 07-02-2024 at 12:05 AM.

Don't think that's how it will go at all.

I say this not knowing you at all, and at risk of getting tarred and feathered, but mind when John Robertson was tearing it up and couldn't get a game for love nor money? (If you're as old as me 😬). It was mad he wasn't getting picked. Played a small amount of games eventually with a good return but got dropped again. I thought that was wrong at the time. shankland's knocking them in. Clarke believes in our league. Nowhere else has Scots scoring as much. Shankland starts.

But **** the hearts.
    Mccoist was better than Robbo though?

Coaching Staff
    Would agree with that logic if it we were talking about inter league games, but we’re not.

I have no idea how many players from Switzerland and Hungary play in other countries, but I’d hazard a guess there’s a fair few.

Mccoist was better than Robbo though?
    McCoist eventually came in at 21st but he was nominated for the Ballon d'Or in 1987, wee Robbo was nowhere near that level.
    Last edited by HoboHarry; 07-02-2024 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    McCoist eventually came in at 21st but he was nominated for the Ballon d'Or in 1987, wee Robbo was nowhere near that level.
    That is bad luck for Nisbet if true - I liked him at Hibs.

The question for me though, is why did Hibs have to sell Nisbet while Hearts can keep hold of Shankland?

All this talk about managers, DOF etc. - I feel that most of the critisism of these people is unfair - but one of their most important jobs is to keep hold of good players - which they don't seem capable of doing. Hearts have always seemed better at this than Hibs - and it's always been a big failing. Good players seem to leave Hibs as soon as they can - which is why we continually have to gamble of new signings, which usually don't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

The question for me though, is why did Hibs have to sell Nisbet while Hearts can keep hold of Shankland?

All this talk about managers, DOF etc. - I feel that most of the critisism of these people is unfair - but one of their most important jobs is to keep hold of good players - which they don't seem capable of doing. Hearts have always seemed better at this than Hibs - and it's always been a big failing. Good players seem to leave Hibs as soon as they can - which is why we continually have to gamble of new signings, which usually don't work out.
    Nisbet was at Hibs for 3 seasons. If Shankland goes in the summer, quite likely I'd say, he'd have spent 2 seasons at Hearts so we'd have kept Nisbet for longer.

We kept Josh Doig for 2 full seasons, he played 78 games. Aaron Hickey had 1 full season in the Hearts first team and played 33 games.

We kept John McGinn for over 3 years. He played 136 times for us.

Porteuos made his debut in the 2017/2018 season and played 130 games for us. He was in and around the first team for 5 years.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 07-02-2024 at 06:13 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Maybe on the bench beside the other subs

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Nisbet was at Hibs for 3 seasons. If Shankland goes in the summer, quite likely I'd say, he'd have spent 2 seasons at Hearts so we'd have kept Nisbet for longer.

We kept Josh Doig for 2 full seasons, he played 78 games. Aaron Hickey had 1 full season in the Hearts first team and played 33 games.

We kept John McGinn for over 3 years. He played 136 times for us.

Porteuos made his debut in the 2017/2018 season and played 130 games for us. He was in and around the first team for 5 years.
    Porteous and Nisbet are exactly what this team needs now - what have we done with the money we got for them? Was it a good deal for Hibs to sell them? I don't think so and if I was running Hibs then I wouldn't think I'd done my job very well.

Porteous and Nisbet are exactly what this team needs now - what have we done with the money we got for them? Was it a good deal for Hibs to sell them? I don't think so and if I was running Hibs then I wouldn't think I'd done my job very well.
    Our whole business model is based on developing players and selling them on for a profit. We had Nisbet and McGinn for 3 full years, Porteuos was in the first team for 5 years.

These players naturally want to move on to bigger platforms and earn significantly more money. The only other option is we offer wages completely out of sync with our revenue streams and that would end up bankrupting the club.

Your suggestion though that Hearts seem to keep good players for longer doesn't seem to stand up to much scrunity.

Our whole business model is based on developing players and selling them on for a profit. We had Nisbet and McGinn for 3 full years, Porteuos was in the first team for 5 years.

These players naturally want to move on to bigger platforms and earn significantly more money. The only other option is we offer wages completely out of sync with our revenue streams and that would end up bankrupting the club.

Your suggestion though that Hearts seem to keep good players for longer doesn't seem to stand up to much scrunity.
    Well I just don't think that model works - as it's much better to keep a player that's performing for you than it is to sell him and then gamble away the money that you get for him. What have we done with the Nisbet and Porteous money? While Shankland is still at Hearts and is scoring for them every week.

Ofcourse players want to move on, but Hibs don't seem capable of holding onto good players for very long - a massive management failing for me. Maybe the reason Turnbull had a good team was because he held onto all the good players - if he'd had to replace 3 or 4 of them every year then I doubt it would have worked out for him.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Not just ours pretty much every team of medium size in the world

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well I just don't think that model works - as it's much better to keep a player that's performing for you than it is to sell him and then gamble away the money that you get for him. What have we done with the Nisbet and Porteous money? While Shankland is still at Hearts and is scoring for them every week.

Ofcourse players want to move on, but Hibs don't seem capable of holding onto good players for very long - a massive management failing for me. Maybe the reason Turnbull had a good team was because he held onto all the good players - if he'd had to replace 3 or 4 of them every year then I doubt it would have worked out for him.
    They didn’t want to stay, do you want to keep players against their will?

Think football is slightly different to it was in the 70s.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nisbet signed a 4 year deal with us and Shankland signed a 3 year deal with them.

Nisbet had a year left and Shankland has a year left. If players don't sign new deals with a year remaining they get sold. Nisbet was never signing and it doesn't look like Shankland will.

What players have Hearts been better at keeping? I'm struggling to think of any high-value players that they've kept over that last decade or so.

Off the top of my head Souttar and Patterson ran their deals down and left for hee haw. The only 7 figure sales they've had are Osman Sow and Aaron Hickey.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Boy we could really do with a Nisbet like striker just now
    Someone with a bit of fire in their belly, and can’t create a goal out of nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Someone with a bit of fire in their belly, and can’t create a goal out of nothing
    Shankland would be the exact player we need up front to score out of nothing.

Nisbet was fine for Hibs but Shanklands record is more impressive and quite a bit more impressive.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Fire in the belly and Kevin Nisbet are two things I don’t think I’ll ever associate with one another.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Fire in the belly and Kevin Nisbet are two things I don’t think I’ll ever associate with one another.
    Plenty if there is a move on the cards, otherwise bang on.