hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rory Whittaker

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Looks so far off it it’s not even funny. Would loan him out for a couple of seasons to develop. No way should he be anywhere near our starting 11 just now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going 3 at the back isn’t without issue though. Who would we have played at right wingback yesterday? Also given our weakness for defending basic crosses I’m not sure leaving space behind wingbacks would serve us well. Did we even have 3 centre backs available yesterday? Whatever way you cut it, short of throwing in the unfit new signings, it’s a grim set of options whatever you do.
    Yeah it wouldn’t have been ideal either but he surely has to mix it up a bit to try and get a reaction.

Megwa and Stevenson as wing backs, Obita at LcH. Would have given us 3 in the middle of the park and able to play 2 strikers rather than 1.

Easy to say in hindsight, and he probably would’ve been slated if we’d been beaten for changing it up anyway.

He also stated he wanted January signings ready to hit the ground running yet we’ve barely any options because they’re clearly not fit.

I’m just pissed off with this team right now.

Depressing thread I hope the kid doesn't read. Can't get my head round a 16 year old getting blasted by what we must assume grown adults for doing the best he can without shirking and with confidence that is a credit to his character. He's a child. It's not his fault he's here - blame everyone who thought that, in a season we were losing players to AfCon and Asian tournaments for best part of 7 weeks and Chris Cadden long term injured that we were somehow OK for this period. Blame the manager, recruitment or any other player who was playing yesterday for not protecting him in any way.

Grown men shouting abuse at him at Forfar and yesterday was simply embarrassing.

He's not (currently) a solution to our problems but he is not the reason for them.

There's a queue of highly paid, older bodies in front of him.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    The decision to play him right back is insane. Severe lack of pace and just not ready yet.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Looks so far off it it’s not even funny. Would loan him out for a couple of seasons to develop. No way should he be anywhere near our starting 11 just now.
    You can’t loan out a 16 year old, how does he get to training etc

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    You can’t loan out a 16 year old, how does he get to training etc
    He can't even legally work beyond a certain time at night.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    It’s a difficult conversation to have because I'm sure nobody wants to criticise a 16 year old boy who is being asked to play way above his level but at the same time, he's a first team player so needs to be viewed as such.

He's going to take a lot from the experience but he shouldn't be in the first team at 16, imho. Properly exceptional 16 year olds make it into the first team at this level, generally, and don't think he's at that level.

No question about his effort and he's got years still to develop, but it's incredibly poor from Montgomery to continue to play him when week after week teams are targeting that side.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It’s a difficult conversation to have because I'm sure nobody wants to criticise a 16 year old boy who is being asked to play way above his level but at the same time, he's a first team player so needs to be viewed as such.

He's going to take a lot from the experience but he shouldn't be in the first team at 16, imho. Properly exceptional 16 year olds make it into the first team at this level, generally, and don't think he's at that level.

No question about his effort and he's got years still to develop, but it's incredibly poor from Montgomery to continue to play him when week after week teams are targeting that side.
    They went for him right from kick off yesterday, it was so obvious. Nothing complicated, just put the ball on top of him and behind him.

It was fine when he had to play out of necessity. It’s just stupidity playing him now. I don’t know if Montgomery is just doing it to try and prove a point or whatever but, whatever the reason, he shouldn’t be.

I don’t even think he needs to be loaned out. He’s way ahead of where he should be. Get him back in to the youth and development team where he should be.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee1875 View Post
    Reeks of bitterness tbh
    Understand you saying that but its not my take from the conversation. Genuine surprise rather than bitterness.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Can your boy play central midfield? Or defend crosses?
    Keeper. He’s actually played against him. And no, he’s definitely not ready to play in front of more than about 60 people, far less 15,000. Im impressed at Rorys composure in that environment to be honest, it cant be easy. Thats the nature of the job hes chosen of course, but the pressure must be enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

To be fair, I don't think this thread has been critical of him. I thought about it before starting it, but I think almost all of us would agree he's not at fault. He's a young player who is improving and will continue to. My concern is that Monty is playing him before he's ready, and that doesn't often end well.

Young lad who has been thrown in at the deep end.

I think there is now a fine line between first team experience being invaluable and hammering the lads confidence and setting him back a wee bit. With Miller, Cadden and Megwa all now available or close to being available hopefully we can take him out the firing line for a bit.

I think a decent loan next season will be good for him, gear him up to come back at 18 with 30+ games under his belt and really push on.

He needs well managed from this point and hopefully there is scope now to do so. He's done ok for us but is a wee bit short of being ready imo.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee1875 View Post
    Reeks of bitterness tbh
    Correct,my son was in the 2007 squad for three years and Rory and Josh were two of the standouts along with a couple of others who have all been given pro contracts

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    Depressing thread I hope the kid doesn't read. Can't get my head round a 16 year old getting blasted by what we must assume grown adults for doing the best he can without shirking and with confidence that is a credit to his character. He's a child. It's not his fault he's here - blame everyone who thought that, in a season we were losing players to AfCon and Asian tournaments for best part of 7 weeks and Chris Cadden long term injured that we were somehow OK for this period. Blame the manager, recruitment or any other player who was playing yesterday for not protecting him in any way.

Grown men shouting abuse at him at Forfar and yesterday was simply embarrassing.

He's not (currently) a solution to our problems but he is not the reason for them.

Well said.
    He's got great potential and a lot of maturity for such a young player.
    I was sat in that corner in the first half and it was obvious after 5 mins he was being targeted by St Mirren. And so it continued but nothing changed, no change of shape or midfield support. Lack of effort from all of the players. I think the worst half of football this season from Hibs. But let's not kid ourselves on this is down to any one player. I don't believe in booing my team or any player (I'll admit I came close), but let's hope for better, can't be hard!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    If you play him or Megwa they need help in front of them. They had Youan and Tavares. Says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    The decision to play him right back is insane. Severe lack of pace and just not ready yet.
    It's the continual selection of Rory and the central midfield pairing that convinces me Monty must go. He's either incredibly stubborn or incredibly stupid.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    It's the continual selection of Rory and the central midfield pairing that convinces me Monty must go. He's either incredibly stubborn or incredibly stupid.
    The right back situation has been a bit of a mess. Expected Megwa to come back and perform but he cost two goals in his two starts and didn’t look ready either. Miller isn’t brilliant but he’s the best we’ve got till Cadden returns. Hopefully he’s back for Wednesday.

Monty clearly sees the midfield is an issue with the signings he’s made but still started the same pair, it’s baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The right back situation has been a bit of a mess. Expected Megwa to come back and perform but he cost two goals in his two starts and didn’t look ready either. Miller isn’t brilliant but he’s the best we’ve got till Cadden returns. Hopefully he’s back for Wednesday.

Monty clearly sees the midfield is an issue with the signings he’s made but still started the same pair, it’s baffling.
    After all the talk of needing players who could come in and make an impact, to then sign two midfielders and continue with the same ineffective pairing was just stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by leftpeg View Post
    Correct,my son was in the 2007 squad for three years and Rory and Josh were two of the standouts along with a couple of others who have all been given pro contracts

The obvious point was they are nowhere near first team ready - which has been categorically proven in recent weeks.

@hibs.net private member

Missing the point if you think it’s a depressing thread. Rory’s current ability is simply not what we need for a starting right back. If we had an older player performing to his level we would be crucifying him.

He’s not getting blasted and almost every poster on this thread has recognised that Rory is 16 years old and should not be expected to be good enough right now. He needs some time out of the squad and a loan move and I hold high hopes that he will be good enough to re emerge as a first team player aged 19/20

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    The obvious point was they are nowhere near first team ready - which has been categorically proven in recent weeks.
    I'm not arguing either way as I regard both lads families as friends,just that it was wrong to say they weren't highly rated in the age group,both lads been in the academy since they were ten years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    Missing the point if you think it’s a depressing thread. Rory’s current ability is simply not what we need for a starting right back. If we had an older player performing to his level we would be crucifying him.

He’s not getting blasted and almost every poster on this thread has recognised that Rory is 16 years old and should not be expected to be good enough right now. He needs some time out of the squad and a loan move and I hold high hopes that he will be good enough to re emerge as a first team player aged 19/20
    Correct. If anything, I think everyone feels a bit of sympathy for him. He’s not performing well but nobody is blaming him for that, we all realise what stage he’s at and it’s not his fault he’s being put out there.

Quote Originally Posted by leftpeg View Post
    I'm not arguing either way as I regard both lads families as friends,just that it was wrong to say they weren't highly rated in the age group,both lads been in the academy since they were ten years old.

The comment was that they were amazed they were at the level of playing for the first team, not about being highly rated at that age level.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Levitt Jair and Whittaker were mystery selections yesterday.
    Guess we aren't privy to fitness issues, niggles and knocks.
    Very disappointing but Rory not to blame. He can look at all ten of his team mates (and his manager) in that first half and ask them what the ... 's going on.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    It's bad management and no reflection on Rory who is trying his best and is a prospect. Kids that age should be introduced very sparingly to a winning team to build their confidence, not thrown into a side that is on a downward spiral, lacking confidence and leaking goals.

I worry he's now a vanity project for Montgomery to try and prove he will use kids regardless of what they are up against. If that's the case it's all wrong. The manager is not doing him any favours and it's just not fair on the lad. Another black mark I'm afraid and an increasingly cynical looking one given age, fragility and the potential repercussions to young players like Rory having to deal with situations like this so early in their careers. Don't like it one bit.
    Last edited by Baader; 06-02-2024 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_dundee View Post
    He's a decent player with a good potential, but I don't think he's really ready for first team football yet (too many mistakes etc).

I don't mean that as a criticism as he's obviously young and puts in a shift and him having been playing so much is in part because of a lack of options.

I'm also a bit wary of the demoralising impact on him of playing in drubbing after drubbing.

Now that we have more defenders, would it be worth loaning him out for experience or do you think we should keep him in and around the first team?

Totally agree with this post and this was evident against St Mirren, just not quite good enough

He should be being protected by the management team. If you pull a Hibs shirt on you're always going to be vulnerable to criticism if you or the team are playing poorly. This is where he needs to be taken out of the firing line, or not put in it in the first place.
    Last edited by Since452; 06-02-2024 at 07:13 AM.

A couple of things about this.

Who let this situation transpire? That's the actual question we need an answer to.

We knew at the start of the season Cadds was out. At that time Miller wasn't an international so maybe wouldn't have been seen as likely to be away for these unfortunately timed Asian international things but as soon as he started getting selected for Australia someone should have been all over the strategy for getting through the Christmas period and January/early Feb.

What we ended up with was 2 kids, one only 16 and the other only 19 to somehow shore up a defence that leaked goals from crossed balls for fun. On top of that we had the prospect of one CB being away to sit on a bench for 6 weeks in Cote d'Ivoire. Another CB who is only 20 himself...its a dereliction of squad succession planning and continuity planning.

Whoever thought relying on an outfield defence of average age of just over 21 years
    would work in a Scottish league rammed full of players like Gogic doesn't understand Scottish football.

St Mirren are succeeding points wise because they all know their jobs, they have a simple football philosophy, they all work hard, can be aggressive and streetwise when need be, understand the manager's plan and just get on with it.

What they don't live with is the pressure of expectation.
    What they also don't live with is a plan that can't adapt.

I thought this morning I'd feel better but I don't.
    Absolutely crazy eh. Whittaker, Fish and Nectar in the same team. Nuts, and unsurprisingly pumped. Like you say, how on earth did we get to this situation? It's three days after the game and i'm still angry about it. In a way i'm still thankful i care enough to be angry. Apathy is what i'm really worried about.

First Team Breakthrough
    Him and Megwa are both great prospects and have alot of potential, maybe im finally going crazy but what about Megwa right back and whittaker right mid so they can track back for each other (our other wingers dont track back)

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Daft View Post
    Him and Megwa are both great prospects and have alot of potential, maybe im finally going crazy but what about Megwa right back and whittaker right mid so they can track back for each other (our other wingers dont track back)
    Trying not to make this a pile on as he's a 16 year old lad but he's looked lost in attacking positions. He just needs a spell out of the first team to grow and progress, same as 99.9% of his peers.

There are almost no footballers that are ready to play week in, week out at 16. It's practically unheard of, and for good reason.