Thread: Ben Kensell

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    He is a clueless fraud.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is a clueless fraud.
    Based on what? A CEO isn't on the pitch playing. Money isn't an issue just now, how it's spent on the footballing side is. BK has been very good for Hibs commercially. People on here moaned about a DOF they got that(one with ex EPL experience) and they still moan about BK. There's a bit of a witchhunt with this guy for some reason.

Left by mutual consent!
    I actually think this is more a Gordon's problem. I'm guessing they've leaned on BK quite heavily and he's done the best he can, which commercially has been excellent but in sporting terms has been poor. I was on board with us appointing NM, as were a lot of other posters, so I'm not going to throw bricks at him for that. But the Gordon's really need to bring in someone to advise them that has Hibs best interests at heart, I thought Brian McDermott was that guy, and he may still be, but if Ben is Ian Gordon's go to guy then it may be difficult for him.

A strong Chairperson sits Ben down, tells him his job parameters and measures his performance, and gets the best from his fairly obvious talents. I'm not sure that person is Ian Gordon, so that's maybe where the problem lies.
    Last edited by VoltaireHibs; 04-02-2024 at 04:12 PM.

In some areas he's probably done a good job though think he's acted totally unprofessionally in the past and wouldn't be sorry to see him go .

Some strong opinions both ways on Ben Kensell on this thread.

Until I see some actual evidence in the next set of published accounts I am sitting on the fence on the financial impact BK has had.
    For £325k a year, over 50% more than Leeann, it better be impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by PolmontHibby View Post
    Some strong opinions both ways on Ben Kensell on this thread.

Until I see some actual evidence in the next set of published accounts I am sitting on the fence on the financial impact BK has had.
    For £325k a year, over 50% more than Leeann, it better be impressive.
    Yes, it will be interesting,
    as previous set we lost money . No point massively increasing turnover, if we get worse on the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper1875 View Post
    Yes, it will be interesting,
    as previous set we lost money . No point massively increasing turnover, if we get worse on the pitch
    It’s also not a great financial result if expenses increase by more than the turnover increases.

Never holds his hands up when things go wrong with recruiting managers Players major part of where we are

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Never holds his hands up when things go wrong with recruiting managers Players major part of where we are
    Did Petrie ever?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Did Petrie ever?
    He stepped back from his dual role as CEO and chairman and brought in 3 people to totally revamp the football operation.

That's about as clear a taking of responsibility as you will get in the football world.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Ultimately our failed managerial appointments will be what he's remembered for despite all his good work on the non football side.

He's not all bad, obviously, but the football part, the bit we all care about the most, has been largely a shambles under his watch.
    Last edited by Since452; 04-02-2024 at 05:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    When did he come in? Is his football record sackable? 5th last season (in line with budget but short of the 4th goal by the smallest of margins). Europe. A cup semi already this season. 3rd and a final and a semi final with Ross.

Edit: and FWIW, I’ve never met him, had one phone conversation with him after i emailed to complain about the club saying and doing nothing about Rangers fans’ sectarianism.

The whole club is up the creek without a paddle.

It’s clear the Gordon’s don’t want lumped with their dads hobby, so they’ve delegated most of the running to kensell who might be great with the revenue, but is out his depth with the footballing side.

McDermott, who is in charge with the footballing side is equally as hopeless as the former. He’s been brought in to help with the recruitment as we all hounded out Ron’s laddie. The clown isn’t much better.

Then the both of these clowns, have undertaken the recruitment of a manager who’s even further out his depth than the previous two.

We can’t sack the lot of them, even if they do all need to go?!

Quote Originally Posted by Walkerbaws View Post

It’s clear the Gordon’s don’t want lumped with their dads hobby, so they’ve delegated most of the running to kensell who might be great with the revenue, but is out his depth with the footballing side.

McDermott, who is in charge with the footballing side is equally as hopeless as the former. He’s been brought in to help with the recruitment as we all hounded out Ron’s laddie. The clown isn’t much better.

Then the both of these clowns, have undertaken the recruitment of a manager who’s even further out his depth than the previous two.

Ian Gordon is based here and is around the Club most days according to someone I know who works for the club administration - he’s as hands on as you could be. The whole family were here at Christmas. What do you know that makes you think the family don’t want to run the club?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He stepped back from his dual role as CEO and chairman and brought in 3 people to totally revamp the football operation.

That's about as clear a taking of responsibility as you will get in the football world.
    I think it needs to be added that he should have done it about three managers earlier. After appointing Mowbray, he had plenty of credit. By Calderwood, it was clear he really didn't know what he was doing.

First Team Breakthrough

Difficult to argue against what you are saying so I want.I think right now the main issue is our manager.Out of his depth totally inflexible and utterly lacking in charisma..Hope I am wrong in this cos I want him to be successful but like the vast majority of fans I have been speaking to over the last 24 hrs there is no support for Montgomery .He has to go for the sake of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tubs View Post
    I think it needs to be added that he should have done it about three managers earlier. After appointing Mowbray, he had plenty of credit. By Calderwood, it was clear he really didn't know what he was doing.
    Absolutely.

I'm not the man to go to if you want a full rehabilitation of Rod Petrie. However he did belatedly realise his own shortcomings (and tbf I think he announced he would have no involvement in picking a manager at another point in time as well, may have been Fenlon?)

If Montgomery does end up being another bad appointment, which hardly looks outside the realms of possibility, it will be interesting to see who takes the lead on the next appointment because it's one we really don't want to get wrong with the money we may well have available.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Absolutely.

I'm not the man to go to if you want a full rehabilitation of Rod Petrie. However he did belatedly realise his own shortcomings (and tbf I think he announced he would have no involvement in picking a manager at another point in time as well, may have been Fenlon?)

If Montgomery does end up being another bad appointment, which hardly looks outside the realms of possibility, it will be interesting to see who takes the lead on the next appointment because it's one we really don't want to get wrong with the money we may well have available.
    I didn't know that about Fenlon. I'd thought he did them all from Sauzeé to B******r.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It’s also not a great financial result if expenses increase by more than the turnover increases.
    Depends on the reasons behind it e.g. a lot was spent upgrading hospitality but we'll only begin to see the benefit coming through from the subsequent financial year onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Not really. We don’t exist to make profit so increasing our spending in line with our revenue is what we are after. We may also have investments in there to create future revenue. All depends if you need to borrow money to cover any difference and if so at what cost against what you budget on bringing in through the investment.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    When did he come in? Is his football record sackable? 5th last season (in line with budget but short of the 4th goal by the smallest of margins). Europe. A cup semi already this season. 3rd and a final and a semi final with Ross.

Edit: and FWIW, I’ve never met him, had one phone conversation with him after i emailed to complain about the club saying and doing nothing about Rangers fans’ sectarianism.
    What did he say about it? Out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Willis1875 View Post
    It wasn’t meant in the sense that Hearts pick bad managers it was more meant in the way that our last 3 managers have been that bad that it could only be an arch rival advising on who to appoint
    Ha, I made the same misinterpretation as the poster you replied to. If I had to challenge you on one point, it's that if Hearts were advising us on managerial appointments, I doubt they could have come up with a worse trifecta of numpties we managed to identify ourselves.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    What did he say about it? Out of interest?
    I’ll PM you.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I’ll PM you.
    I'd like to know too, please. 👍

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Just to correct this - he wasn’t here when we finished third, so that can be scored off the list.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

First Team Breakthrough

All this comment does is shows how out of touch you are with your club....

Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    Ian Gordon is based here and is around the Club most days according to someone I know who works for the club administration - he’s as hands on as you could be. The whole family were here at Christmas. What do you know that makes you think the family don’t want to run the club?
    Don’t think it’s in question that the Gordon’s don’t want to own the club. If they didn’t they would have sold it by now. It’s more that they don’t seem to know how to run the football side of things that’s the real worry to me. We’ve spent some big money on transfer fees and not one of them looks value for money.
    Last edited by 0762; 05-02-2024 at 07:06 PM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    Based on what? A CEO isn't on the pitch playing. Money isn't an issue just now, how it's spent on the footballing side is. BK has been very good for Hibs commercially. People on here moaned about a DOF they got that(one with ex EPL experience) and they still moan about BK. There's a bit of a witchhunt with this guy for some reason.
    folks with Perma tans and white teeth seem to get a bad rap.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    All this comment does is shows how out of touch you are with your club....
    Yup unless referring to Boris or Jambos the use of the word “clown” tends to say more of the person using the word and their sloppy analysis than the person they’ve levelled it at.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

First Team Regular
    Is he worth £326,818 a year?