hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 211 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pass. He's not played since last January.
    That doesn't mean he's not better than what we have

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I think anyone that wants us to sign a better midfielder than Newell are thinking there's a John McGinn out there ready to be plucked at any moment. He's easily in the top CM's in the league outside the Glasgow two. That doesn't mean he's perfect but neither are any of his competitors in this league.
    I think it all depends on the definition of better. Could we sign a like for like player better than Newell. With the kind of money we now pay, it’s possible but not easy. We spent £700k odd on Vente, what level of player could that same amount get us spent on a free agent for example.

I’d not be looking to upgrade Newell as a priority. He’s now a very good and consistent midfielder and has been for the last couple of seasons, which wasn’t always the case. However I do think it’s possible we could sign a replacement to make the overall midfield better. Same applies to Levitt.

Levitt is better at Newell at passing forward and through the lines. An athletic midfielder with drive, who is also comfortable on the ball, an Alan Campbell or Greg Docherty type might be a better foil for Levitt and take the midfield up another level without that new midfielder having to be streets ahead of Newell ability wise, someone with a more athletic skill set.

As it is I like the current version of Newell, and Levitt both individually and also as a pair. However to keep improving the team unpopular and difficult decisions might be required. Like Youan for example. I like him and on his day he’s unplayable, but we’re arguably a better and more balanced team without him.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post

As it is I like the current version of Newell, and Levitt both individually and also as a pair. However to keep improving the team unpopular and difficult decisions might be required. Like Youan for example. I like him and on his day he’s unplayable, but we’re arguably a better and more balanced team without him.
    I still think Boyle out right, with Youan and Vente up top would be a good option. Youan still needs to learn to move the ball on a bit quicker sometimes, but he's a quality player.

I like JDH

but I also liked magennis

Both feel the same kind of injury prone bad luck

Maybe time to move on

He must know game time will be hard with Newell and levitt fit that’s before Jeggo is even considered

I’d move him on along with

Henderson
    Harbottle
    Boruc (loan)
    Doidge

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I still think Boyle out right, with Youan and Vente up top would be a good option. Youan still needs to learn to move the ball on a bit quicker sometimes, but he's a quality player.
    This is what I’d like to see too. It would also allow Boyle the opportunity to make things happen from deep with driving runs like we saw for his assist against Kilmarnock.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/exclusi...e-toure-603190

Musa Toure linked with Hibs.

Anyone know much about him?
    "unpredictable and pacy front-runner..." so he might score a worldie or could just as easily trip over his own feet. 😀

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    The best centre mid in the league outside Rangers and Celtc, in my opinion. Walks into any other side, bar those two, comfortably.
    This. I know a few Aberdeen and Hearts fans who concur. A tremendous player.

Just because people say they want another CM doesn't mean that newell or Levitt will drop out. As a team we run ourselves in to the ground during games and we have many players struggling from 70 onwards. Having a player in that area that can provide something different will only improve our squad. Being able to have some sort of squad rotation would really help us improve. We can't be playing Newell and Levitt in every game and the current options are big downgrades on those 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Just because people say they want another CM doesn't mean that newell or Levitt will drop out. As a team we run ourselves in to the ground during games and we have many players struggling from 70 onwards. Having a player in that area that can provide something different will only improve our squad. Being able to have some sort of squad rotation would really help us improve. We can't be playing Newell and Levitt in every game and the current options are big downgrades on those 2.
    Yes, I'd like to see a younger midfielder come in who's first thought is to drive forward with the ball. A young McGinn would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Always thought Spittal was an honest, decent player at Dundee United etc, and hits a good free-kick. I’m not convinced he’d really improve any of our current positions in terms of starting though.
    I felt much the same about him, but he seems to be hitting his peak in a really impressive fashion. 13 G/As last season and 8 G/A already this season, with the most assists outside the OF.

Worth a punt on a pre contract in this form IMO, he can’t be a particularly high earner either.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I think Montgomery would be a far better person to judge than anybody on this board. Obviously we can have our own opinion but if Montgomery thinks they’re better than we’ve got I’m happy to trust him.
    I’m not so sure about that.

There are plenty of us on here who have been watching Scottish football for decades. We’ve got a pretty good idea of the type of player that works or not.

There have been numerous mangers come to Scotland and totally screw things up because they thought they knew better.

I’m not saying NM is one of them, but he’d do well to listen to people around him with experience of the game here. Bringing players from Oz just cause you’ve worked with them before is not the answer.

Before NM got the job, everyone was talking about how small a club CCM are. The Oz equivalent of Brechin or the likes. Their best players aren’t good enough for us.

Lewis Miller has done alright for us, and that was pre A-League win.

He won't bring someone in "just cause" he's worked with them either. He will bring them in if he feels they can enhance the squad.

Crucially, that will have to be backed up by the stats that Calvin Charlton works on.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

There are plenty of us on here who have been watching Scottish football for decades. We’ve got a pretty good idea of the type of player that works or not.

There have been numerous mangers come to Scotland and totally screw things up because they thought they knew better.

I’m not saying NM is one of them, but he’d do well to listen to people around him with experience of the game here. Bringing players from Oz just cause you’ve worked with them before is not the answer.

Before NM got the job, everyone was talking about how small a club CCM are. The Oz equivalent of Brechin or the likes. Their best players aren’t good enough for us.
    Miller not good enough? Cummings not good enough? There’s two for starters. I think I’ll trust Montgomery to know what will or won’t be the answer. I remember thinking Rowan Vine would do a job and Butcher was a good appointment. What do we know? Football is football. There will be some appointments that won’t work and some that don’t Bringing CCM players that might do a job won’t break the bank in the process.
    Postecoglue brought players he knew from the far east. Didn’t do him any harm.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/exclusi...e-toure-603190

Musa Toure linked with Hibs.

Anyone know much about him?
    There is a really good piece in the Hibs observer about him. Well worth a read if you are a subscriber.

Congratulations to Brechin for winning their first Scottish Premership league title.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Lewis Miller has done alright for us, and that was pre A-League win.

He won't bring someone in "just cause" he's worked with them either. He will bring them in if he feels they can enhance the squad.

Crucially, that will have to be backed up by the stats that Calvin Charlton works on.
    Lewis Miller is one of our best players.

@hibs.net private member

There is also plenty of players we have signed from other clubs in the league and when they’ve arrived at us they’ve not been good enough, the net should be far a wide.

Guys playing for CCM have been good enough to move on to championship clubs and Newcastle Utd recently I don’t see how we can turn our noses up that there couldnt possibly be anyone there good enough to improve our team, the LB looks a good prospect and we need improvement in that area well worth a shot imo

Promising Youngster
    Tanser from saints it’s out of contract in the summer. I would be giving him a phone call. Very good LB

Dandah from County also. Such a flair player and forward thinking. Impressed every time I’ve seen him.

Monty knows better than anyone on this board.

Jason Cummings
    Lewis Miller
    Niko Triantis - Sunderland
    Sammy Silvera - Middlesbrough
    James McGarry - Aberdeen
    Kye Rowles - Hearts

Have all proven that their best players probably are good enough for us…and that’s just players from the Mariners.

Look at Keanu Baccus for example, people are desperate for us to sign him now but I imagine if we signed him straight from the A League their would be similar comments to yours

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Hibs accept offer of 1m + add ons from Stromsgodset for Elias Melkersen according to Hibs Central Twitter X

Edit:

Been taken down now
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 08-12-2023 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Hibs accept offer of 1m + add ons from Stromsgodset for Elias Melkersen according to Hibs Central Twitter X
    We know where he has got that from.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    We know where he has got that from.
    Where? I've not seen that

Edit: Now see on private board
    Last edited by Hibernian Verse; 08-12-2023 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    There is a really good piece in the Hibs observer about him. Well worth a read if you are a subscriber.
    Is the Hibs observer a bald man in a suit and a hat?

Edit:

Been taken down now
    Is Hibs Central that daft wee laddie that stole stories from PM board and denied doing it.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Is Hibs Central that daft wee laddie that stole stories from PM board and denied doing it.
    Just reposted

Best ignored until official

Edit:

Been taken down now
    Looks like he's posted it again

Edit:

Been taken down now
    Looks like their record fee paid was €500k

Just reposted

Best ignored until official
    Is this deal a possibility?

When is McKirdy due back? Will be interesting to see if this management team can get more out of him.

We still have McKirdy, JDH and Cadden to return. A couple loans at most next month i reckon.