hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair point, I just think he's one of our most consistent performers on a weekly basis. Do I think he's John Mcginn levels no but he's not a major problem in this current team quite the opposite to me.

If we can get better on Foleys new money but all means lets do it!
    He undoubtedly is. Just get behind the boys ffs

Except if its Levitt.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Think we all know you didn’t and still don’t want NM as manager but just keep banging that drum at every opportunity.

So you think he should be devoid of criticism because he was terrific last season?

Is it wrong of me to ask the Captain to try and drive the team forward and lead by example? We all know what’s he’s capable of but doesn’t do it often enough.
    It still, also, ignores the long periods last season where the team was struggling and Newell was totally ineffective. He finished last season really well and started this one the same but the old habits have gradually returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Think we all know you didn’t and still don’t want NM as manager but just keep banging that drum at every opportunity.

So you think he should be devoid of criticism because he was terrific last season?

Is it wrong of me to ask the Captain to try and drive the team forward and lead by example? We all know what’s he’s capable of but doesn’t do it often enough.
    It's not wrong of you. I think you have a point. I just feel he's playing within himself just now. Brilliant goal at Killie aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    It's not wrong of you. I think you have a point. I just feel he's playing within himself just now. Brilliant goal at Killie aside.
    He shouldn’t be though. He needs to step up and big time as does everyone else.

First Team Breakthrough
    I'm not sure what game some of you guys were watching? Did you leave at 3-0? Joe was about the only player trying to drive us forward. Do you want him to win the game all by himself? Because to be fair he tried to do that too on a couple of occasions.

I think Newell is one of our better players and I don't have that much of a worry about him in the grand scheme of things as it stands. However if there was someone better out there in our budget etc (which there will be) then I've no issue with replacing him.

The argument that he's 'seen off' X amount of managers is quite a lazy one for me as it just looks for some correlation between failures. The same whenever Paul and Lewy get brought up but yet no one ever looks at how Lewy is the one common thread in our last 3 trophy wins. It doesn't really explain anything on its own so it's pointless really saying it.

Watching his post match interview at the weekend and I seen a guy who looks like he's either had it out with some of his teammates or was planning to. He said all the things I wanted to hear a captain say after such a rotten performance and I hope he's currently in HTC now saying his piece to some of those lads who were clearly phoning it in on Saturday because even if we do sack the manager in the next week or two the likes of Elie, Jair, and Levitt for example cannot be allowed to be as passive and piss poor as they have been before Saturday even came about.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwoof View Post
    I'm not sure what game some of you guys were watching? Did you leave at 3-0? Joe was about the only player trying to drive us forward. Do you want him to win the game all by himself? Because to be fair he tried to do that too on a couple of occasions.
    It’s easier to step up once the game is lost and the other team ease off and/or sit off content with what they’ve got. Newell went into his shell in the first half like everyone else. Not much use trying to play when the game is long since lost.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 05-02-2024 at 08:55 AM.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    It’s easier to step up once the game is lost and the other team ease off and/or sit off content with what they’ve got. Newell went into his shell in the first half like everyone else. Not much use trying to play when the game is long since lost.
    That's not true. He was chasing down players from all four corners of our half at one point. His problem was he was on his own.

First Team Breakthrough
    And what about when he injured himself winning the ball in what was at best a 50-50? Not the actions of a Levitt, I'd suggest.

He is far from perfect but he was basically trying to stop St Mirrens midfield on his own in the first half.

To start Levitt, Emiliano, Youan and Jair all at once is criminal and should never happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    That's not true. He was chasing down players from all four corners of our half at one point. His problem was he was on his own.
    Fair enough, agree to disagree. First half I didn’t think anyone got pass marks or that anyones performance stood out from there teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    He is far from perfect but he was basically trying to stop St Mirrens midfield on his own in the first half.

To start Levitt, Emiliano, Youan and Jair all at once is criminal and should never happen again.
    I agree whole heartedly with your last line. It sounds depressing but going forward until the summer we need to start playing the less flashy guys like Cadden etc to try and create something resembling a solid, tighter team.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I agree whole heartedly with your last line. It sounds depressing but going forward until the summer we need to start playing the less flashy guys like Cadden etc to try and create something resembling a solid, tighter team.
    I don’t think it’s depressing, it would be sensible.

We’re determined to have a team full of footballers, it doesn’t work.

When our form picked up at the backend of last season, we had Cadden playing on the right of midfield with Egan-Riley behind him. Jeggo came in to the middle of the park and we basically had runners in there. But it gave a better balance and meant you could get away with someone like Youan not running back the way. He was able to do what he was good at and you knew you had a goalscorer up front in Nisbet.

The midfield we had out on Saturday was the most powderpuff midfield you’ll ever see in your life. With a bunch of young laddies behind them it was an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

When our form picked up at the backend of last season, we had Cadden playing on the right of midfield with Egan-Riley behind him. Jeggo came in to the middle of the park and we basically had runners in there. But it gave a better balance and meant you could get away with someone like Youan not running back the way. He was able to do what he was good at and you knew you had a goalscorer up front in Nisbet.

The midfield we had out on Saturday was the most powderpuff midfield you’ll ever see in your life. With a bunch of young laddies behind them it was an absolute disaster waiting to happen.
    Totally agree. I think you're right that we've tried to sign too many youtube footballers for lack of a better term. I still actually like Elie as a footballer, but he needs totally carried and cannot be trusted to play in a wider midfield role and his attitude recently has looked embarrassing.

Levitt has proven that he has zero ability to defend and cover properly at this level and should be no where near a midfield 2 or playing as a deeper player in a 3 for us again.

If I could pick the formation for now to the end of the season is I'd go 3-5-2 and have a combination of Newell/Amos/Welsh with Emiliano in a Scott Allan type role where he goes up and links with ALF/Elie and Vente with Cadden and Obita providing the width and whatever combination of three centre halves we can muster to defend the 6 yard box.

Left by mutual consent!

He's basically been doing that all season, a one man midfield. It's a criminal use of his talents. The guy loves it at Hibs, never lacks effort and is doing about three different jobs in that midfield. Levitt is a waste of a jersey, Youan is a showpony that doesn't track back, Jair is hit and miss and not really experienced enough to know when to go and when to stay. That leaves Joe as disruptor and creator and having to cover acres of space every week, and every team in the league knows it. It's completely unfair on him, no wonder he looks knackered most of the time. If I was emptying players then Joe would be last on my list to go, and I include Boyle in that.

I wonder if folk remember the games when he's not playing? He's the only person in our team that looks like he really knows what he's doing, he may not be the greatest, but he's the best player we have right now.

Joe Newell sums it up, if he's seen as one of our better players then we've a long way to go to as regards having a decent team.

Aye. Powderpuff. He won't though. They'll all start on Wednesday.

@hibs.net private member
    I don’t think they will.

I think Levitt and Youan will drop out, possibly Jair as well.

Would be amazed if they all do. In fact I reckon only Emiliano will out of those four.

very well put and 100% accurate.

Its a simple league that doesn't need over elaborate ideas on how football should be played.

We've way way way too many football players on the pitch at one time. Jeggo may not have been " hibs class" but he was a simple effective player that performed a decent role in the side.

For all Youan and Tavares tear my hair out playing both of them wide left and wide right in the SPFL is asking for trouble. Yes Youans effort levels weren't great on Saturday but he really isn't a right midfielder he's an off the cuff forward or winger who can sparkle with moments of brilliance his game isn't built on running up and down the touchline biting at heels, winning second balls and being a pest.

I keep saying this to every hibs fan I meet that we have good players, the squad may be unbalanced but we have a good squad that's performing way below par. The players need to take a look at themselves but the set up is all wrong hence why we end up having threads about ( for me) one our most consistent performers.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwoof View Post
    CORRECT. Someone speaks sense !!!

This is exactly right. Our best 11 football players aren't ever going to make up our best team. The balance is way off trying to shoehorn all the flair players in the same team, it leaves us looking powder-puff and over run. We need the likes of a Gogic, Bartley even a version of a Jeggo type. It's tough to leave out good players but we need a little less skill and a little more action (probably not the best way to put it but the Elvis song just popped in my head mid type)

With threads on Youan, Triantis & Levitt. Is it fair to talk about Newell as well? How many midfield combinations can he be part of that are dreadful, lose their battle and go into its shell at the first sign of adversary, but always able to play the “least of our problems” card?
    Credit where it’s due. One of his best games tonight. He was a proper all action midfielder, like his Luzern performance, we don’t see the Newell of tonight as often as we should or need.

Newell is a superb midfielder at our level. He proved that again tonight. He not only earns his spot in the starting XI, but he has earned the captain’s armband over the years here.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He was awesome tonight. He was everywhere defensively and played some great stuff going forward.

His ball for Millers chance was fantastic.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Outstanding tonight.

Outstanding tonight.
    Thought he was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He was awesome tonight. He was everywhere defensively and played some great stuff going forward.

His ball for Millers chance was fantastic.
    That ball was absolutely stunning. As was Obita’s cross in the first half.

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    I think having MW in there helped Joe to show us how good he can be

Credit where it’s due. One of his best games tonight. He was a proper all action midfielder, like his Luzern performance, we don’t see the Newell of tonight as often as we should or need.
    Good post

He was brilliant tonight