hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

@hibs.net private member
    Newell is everything that is wrong with Hibs , came in with Heckingbottom and couldn’t get a game to start with .
    Gives away stupid fouls usually ends up being booked . Has had contract after contract .
    Gets sent off in a Scottish Cup semi final against our biggest rivals for 2 bookings and then Maloney / him say he doesn’t have to apologise to the fans
    Now he is our captain , he would be lucky to get in any of the bottom 6 teams in the top flight.
    One of the 1st out the door for me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s the least of our worries.
    We need better than Newell.

Maybe we should forget about spending 3/4 million quid on infrastructure and maybe get a wee bit quality on the park before they chase anymore supporters away.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensunshine View Post
    We need better than Newell.

Maybe we should forget about spending 3/4 million quid on infrastructure and maybe get a wee bit quality on the park before they chase anymore supporters away.
    Better than newell?

We need better in a number of areas before we look at him in my opinion.

Better than newell?

Absolutely. A team full of sub standard players, played out of position in a static formation and some are going for Newell?? Bonkers.

He is our one guy who cares, currently being thrown under the bus in a DCM position with rigid instructions. Under Johnson he was one of the best players in the league.

Seems like the mess our board have created right now is a green light for our long term Newell haters.
    Last edited by keep the faith; 04-02-2024 at 10:08 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Newell was our best player yesterday. Least of our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    Absolutely. A team full of sub standard players, played out of position in a static formation and some are going for Newell?? Bonkers.

He is our one guy who cares, currently being thrown under the bus in a DCM position with rigid instructions. Under Johnson he was one of the best players in the league.

Seems like the mess our board have created right now is a green light for our long term Newell haters.

If we are buying better than newell and I see those types of performances every week that are way better than newell we will have certainly kicked on as a club.

Until then I’d rather address way more pressing areas of the pitch.

Imagine having to play against an opposition midfield 3 with Dylan Levitt every week.

I don’t think Newells as good as some people think he is but we have far bigger issues than him just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutu View Post
    Yup…

Better than newell?

I wouldn’t argue with that. I was giving my opinion on his attributes or lack of. I always think we can aim for a better standard and if he’s our best player then we need to bring in better players

@hibs.net private member
    When Monty is most likely sacked then Newell will have seen 5 managers leave us. People are questioning Kensall and saying he should go based on 3 failed managers under his watch, I’d argue Newell has to go aswell then using a similar logic. He may well be a lovely guy and has had some excellent performances but he’s also had far more average to non existent performances. We need players to show up now that going is getting tough (yet again) and I have little faith in him to do so.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    When Monty is most likely sacked then Newell will have seen 5 managers leave us. People are questioning Kensall and saying he should go based on 3 failed managers under his watch, I’d argue Newell has to go aswell then using a similar logic. He may well be a lovely guy and has had some excellent performances but he’s also had far more average to non existent performances. We need players to show up now that going is getting tough (yet again) and I have little faith in him to do so.
    That’s just ***** logic though

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Roll Royce when we win, Vauxhall Corsa when we lose.

Today was a Corsa day, as are most days at the moment.
    A Corsa with no engine or tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Mutu View Post
    Surely our biggest problem if the best of our players has zero positive influence on a game.

No doubting Joes ability he is quality when on his game as are likes of Vente Youan Boyle who have been playing well below usual standards which is concerning

Newell was missing and/or ineffective for large parts of Johnson’s time here. Just as he has been under various managers. Capable of being very good on his day. When he’s not, it’s always someone else’s fault though.

Paul Hanlon as Captain plays poorly and gets crucified on here.

Newell as Captain plays just as bad and it’s ok because he cares.

Sorry but he’s a professional football player and for all his supposed ability he just doesn’t do enough. He doesn’t influence games enough.

I want to see the Newell we had against Luzern. That’s not too much to ask is it. Drive and lead the team forward as captain.

If you think Newell is being thrown under the bus then so be it. I do know this though. I expect a helluva lot more from my Captain and supposed better players than what’s been on show recently.

Almost every player has regressed under this manager. Including Joe. Thought he had a terrific season last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Paul Hanlon as Captain plays poorly and gets crucified on here.

Newell as Captain plays just as bad and it’s ok because he cares.

Sorry but he’s a professional football player and for all his supposed ability he just doesn’t do enough. He doesn’t influence games enough.

I want to see the Newell we had against Luzern. That’s not too much to ask is it. Drive and lead the team forward as captain.

If you think Newell is being thrown under the bus then so be it. I do know this though. I expect a helluva lot more from my Captain and supposed better players than what’s been on show recently.

Yep, Hanlon, the Hibs fan, at his boyhood club, has made hundreds of appearances, never gets any leeway even though I bet he cares a damn sight more than JN.

Newell is Teflon for some. He never takes the game by the scruff of the neck, never leads, never drives us forward, never inspires. That’s our captain. Someone who is regularly described on here as one of the best in the league, but has so little influence on a match, hardly any match, rarely get a telling pass or goal saving tackle. Levitt is getting the blame for him not being at it at the moment, but this isn’t new for him, it’s the norm. Midfield partners, formations, his performances dont change, but it’s never his fault, there’s always an excuse for him. That he cares is a poor deflection, there’s thousands in the stands who care a lot more and would still play crap. Time to move on from JN.

Coaching Staff
    Probably true.

We could put up a thread for each individual player and I reckon there would be posts on every one saying they were not good enough and should be replaced.

That’s fine, and I would love every player to be replaced by a better one, but even with Foley’s investment we can’t do it all at once.

There are other glaring problems much more worthy of attention than Newell.

Eg…..how long have we been crying out for a couple of Central defenders?

Surely hasn’t escaped everyone’s attention that our current two are loanees who will depart at season’s end…….and we start looking again.

I’d be shouting for action on that and asking why priority wasn’t given to that glaring deficiency before I’d be beating the drums about Newell.

Thought he did a great job, much better than NM, in his post match interview. Could tell he was furious and had to hold in from throwing individuals under the bus.

He's central to our team and central to our worries.

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Thought he did a great job, much better than NM, in his post match interview. Could tell he was furious and had to hold in from throwing individuals under the bus.
    In what way possibly did he do a great job yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesdaft16 View Post
    He's central to our team and central to our worries.

Im not suggesting you but I feel folk have a habit of criticising our most consistent players rather than the support cast.

Newell over the course of a season is one our most proven performers, he's maybe not John mcginn but he's one of our best players over the last 24 months. he's not 9/10 every week and we are not getting a Luzern performance every week as he wouldn't be here long if he really was that good consistently.

I think he's a decent player who with the right person beside him is a very good player for our level.

Was he pish on Saturday, yes he was pish but so was everyone else. I also thought the week before at Killie he was excellent especially second half.

I think if you asked any players from other clubs about our best players newell would be in the conversation nearly all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    Newell is everything that is wrong with Hibs , came in with Heckingbottom and couldn’t get a game to start with .
    Gives away stupid fouls usually ends up being booked . Has had contract after contract .
    Gets sent off in a Scottish Cup semi final against our biggest rivals for 2 bookings and then Maloney / him say he doesn’t have to apologise to the fans
    Now he is our captain , he would be lucky to get in any of the bottom 6 teams in the top flight.
    One of the 1st out the door for me.
    I've been saying this for a while now. The fact that he is our best player is a sad statement to make.

His first thought appears to be a sideways/backwards pass, which is frustrating as we can all see how effective he is when he does burst forward. His problem of course is that all his touches are with his left foot, which makes him a predictable player to defend against. Captain material, definitely not.

Yes, least of our problems but we need to get rid of him next season.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Im not suggesting you but I feel folk have a habit of criticising our most consistent players rather than the support cast.

Newell over the course of a season is one our most proven performers, he's maybe not John mcginn but he's one of our best players over the last 24 months. he's not 9/10 every week and we are not getting a Luzern performance every week as he wouldn't be here long if he really was that good consistently.

I think he's a decent player who with the right person beside him is a very good player for our level.

Was he pish on Saturday, yes he was pish but so was everyone else. I also thought the week before at Killie he was excellent especially second half.

I think if you asked any players from other clubs about our best players newell would be in the conversation nearly all the time.
    Newell has been here 5 years and we’re still talking about finding the right player beside him. Maybe that player he needs doesn’t exist on our budget, or maybe he actual makes those beside him poorer. I’m sure Levit, JDH, Campbell etc would also love to have the right player beside them. He gets excuses made for him others aren’t lucky enough to be afforded IMO.

His best season was beside Gogic in a two, where we essentially gave up the midfield for gains elsewhere.

100% agree - nice guy but not captain material and a big problem with our midfield and why we are so soft.

We have to find a new captain at the end of the season and an improved player. Newell fine for squad player but as a constant starter in a 2 player midfield sorry but it’s not working.

The engine room of the team and it’s not mobile enough and doesn’t make enough tackles.

Always go back to the fact he was signed as a winger and only last few years changed to learn how to play central midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Newell has been here 5 years and we’re still talking about finding the right player beside him. Maybe that player he needs doesn’t exist on our budget, or maybe he actual makes those beside him poorer. I’m sure Levit, JDH, Campbell etc would also love to have the right player beside them. He gets excuses made for him others aren’t lucky enough to be afforded IMO.

His best season was beside Gogic in a two, where we essentially gave up the midfield for gains elsewhere.
    Fair point, I just think he's one of our most consistent performers on a weekly basis. Do I think he's John Mcginn levels no but he's not a major problem in this current team quite the opposite to me.

If we can get better on Foleys new money but all means lets do it!

Joe was our player of the season last season under a better manager.

Testimonial Due
    This is going to go on his headstone, never seen the phrase used so often and for the same player!

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Almost every player has regressed under this manager. Including Joe. Thought he had a terrific season last season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Joe was our player of the season last season under a better manager.
    Think we all know you didn’t and still don’t want NM as manager but just keep banging that drum at every opportunity.

So you think he should be devoid of criticism because he was terrific last season?

Is it wrong of me to ask the Captain to try and drive the team forward and lead by example? We all know what’s he’s capable of but doesn’t do it often enough.