hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Newell has been poor but the system isn't helping , picking the ball up far to deep. Can't influence a game on the edge of your own box

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    He’s very overrated by our support.

Never a player good enough for a team going for top 3 or win a cup. He’s just very limited and goes missing when the going gets tough.

First Team Breakthrough Fratelli's Avatar
    Was noticeable in the 1st half just how often he took the easy option and played back, rather than take the ball on the half turn and look for a pass forward.

@hibs.net private member
    I’m a big Joe Newell fan but his form the last two months has been appalling. A large part of that is probably the imposter he has playing next to him though.

Non trying show pony.

Newell looked good today compared to Levitt. And that's not meant as a compliment.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Non trying show pony.
    Nonsense. I can't defend his overall performance today but he can never be accused of not trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fratelli View Post
    Was noticeable in the 1st half just how often he took the easy option and played back, rather than take the ball on the half turn and look for a pass forward.
    This whole team is going to hinge on players in his position who have the ability and desire to do that imo.

Quote Originally Posted by yerauldda View Post
    I’m a big Joe Newell fan but his form the last two months has been appalling. A large part of that is probably the imposter he has playing next to him though.
    With Newell it’s always the fault of his playing partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    Nonsense. I can't defend his overall performance today but he can never be accused of not trying.
    Agree.

He was poor along with others, but you could see he was trying.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Non trying show pony.
    I've said he was a show pony years ago, still think it. I do think he tries, but we dont need his type of player, we dont need midfielders taking the ball in the middle of the two central defenfers.

Our central defenders should be doing what he does, and get him tae **** either off the park or further up it.

He's one of the main reasons we are so pedestrian its criminal that several managers cant see it.

And to compound that, we've brought in someone else to play alongside him who's even slower.

Shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    Was he driving the team on? Was he bursting a gut? He was horrific and has been for months.

In his first year or so with us very few Hibs fans were impressed by him . As general standard of squad has dropped , he has gained more fans but I`m far from convinced he`s what we need .
    Doesn`t seem to bring the best out of other players in the team and too many petty , unnecessary fouls . Not saying it`ll be easy to find someone better cause it won`t be but if we`re to improve next season we need better in midfield . Maybe not more talented but someone who works better with rest of the team .

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Expect to take pelters for this but honestly thought he was least of our problems today.

In the first half especially looked like our only player that cared, put in a few excellent tackles and tried to drive forward and make things happen when space opened up a couple of times

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm sick of saying he's part of the problem, slows the game down with his first touch 99% of the time backwards.

Plays alongside the central defenders and plays it wide either way but rarely forward, with him on the ball the game becomes walking football, nowhere near urgent enough, but he does fight for the ball when we are defending and has nice hair.
    He does that dropping in to get the ball thing to try and give the impression that he’s trying to get on it and make things happen. When, in actual fact, he’s not got the balls to go and do it where it actually matters.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I actually thought he was our best player today. I might be on my own here 😂
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

First Team Breakthrough TheCabbage's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ram2212
    I thought he should have been binned when done for drink driving.
    Good on his day (but then who isn’t and the days are few and far between this season) but the constant denominator in poor midfields, no matter the system

Brutal today brutal last week until he scored, every pass backwards sane as Levitt they hide during games and pass the buck defenders to create something

I'm not a fan of newell. He gives away silly fouls every game, the first goal being a prime example of that. He doesn't drive forward nearly as much as he could or rather should. All too often he slows the play down or just passes it backwards when he could turn and play forwards. It's been said earlier thats he's overrated by our support and this is true. Only seems to play well when we are winning or in control of a game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyle89 View Post
    I'm not a fan of newell. He gives away silly fouls every game, the first goal being a prime example of that. He doesn't drive forward nearly as much as he could or rather should. All too often he slows the play down or just passes it backwards when he could turn and play forwards. It's been said earlier thats he's overrated by our support and this is true. Only seems to play well when we are winning or in control of a game.
    Newell has lots to offer a good midfield, but he shouldn't be the fulcrum of a midfield. I really like Joe, think he has good ball winning skills, but he needs someone close to give the ball to who WILL drive on. That isn't Newell's natural game. I'd have him as a defensive mid - regain, control, recycle. One of the few guys that loves pulling on a Hibs jersey.

JN can gtf as far as I’m concerned, and take more than a few of his teammates with him.

Thought he’d turned a corner with the Luzerne matches, but he’s regressed back to being as pathetic as ever. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out

It’s a measure of where we are that he’s the current captain.

We’ve had dozens of worse players than him but he simply doesn’t do enough. He usually takes the safe option when he gets the ball, he couldn’t tackle a fish supper and hardly scores or creates any goals.

It would be unfair to blame all our recent managerial failures solely on him but it’s telling that’s he’s one of the common denominators.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    Newell has lots to offer a good midfield, but he shouldn't be the fulcrum of a midfield. I really like Joe, think he has good ball winning skills, but he needs someone close to give the ball to who WILL drive on. That isn't Newell's natural game. I'd have him as a defensive mid - regain, control, recycle. One of the few guys that loves pulling on a Hibs jersey.
    Good post. He’d be one of the few players id keep from the current team.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    New Hanlon/Stevenson being the scapegoat, a lot of other issues rather than Newell being the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Roll Royce when we win, Vauxhall Corsa when we lose.

Today was a Corsa day, as are most days at the moment.
    One of far too many of those days unfortunately.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    I don’t think a team where newell is our best midfielder, (and he is by some distance) is ever going to be good enough for where we want to be.

Having said that, he was our best performer, albeit in a horrible team and is absolutely the least of our worries. Levitt is much worse and both have been hung out to dry with monty’s ***** formation and tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Expect to take pelters for this but honestly thought he was least of our problems today.

In the first half especially looked like our only player that cared, put in a few excellent tackles and tried to drive forward and make things happen when space opened up a couple of times
    I agree.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    Agree. He needs a mcginn/docherty/Allan Campbell type with pace, energy and drive. Him and levitt are far too similar and playing them both in a 2 in the centre is asking for trouble.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    He only seems to play well when we've got a bit of momentum and the crowd is behind us. He as good as admitted that in an interview after the Luzern game. I agree the formation and having such a chicken hearted partner does him no favours though.

He’s the least of our worries.