hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where’s that Loanhead Hibby charlatan when you’re looking for an up to date appraisal of JN? He’s been outstanding this season and I’m sure he’ll continue to prove his worth even more under NM as the season progresses. Disappointing that Joe has had quite a few detractors on here. Always been a quality player.
    Let’s not kid ourselves on he’s been playing at this level and some of us just didn’t notice, Joe showed how good he could be one game then went missing the next 5, I’m delighted he’s managed to find consistency in his game he’s been outstanding probably since the split last season and really pushed on this season again, well done to the guy he’s obviously been working hard been really impressive so far this season

2. Log in to remove the advert

I remember the horsing we took at Ibrox early in his time at the club. It was his first game there and he looked completely lost. He was hooked early and rightly so. After that game I genuinely wondered what we'd signed.

It's been a fair time now since he convinced me otherwise. He's got the ability to keep ball when all else is mental around him. He's physically strong and he's been very consistent for a sustained period now.

That afternoon at Ibrox seems a distant memory now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Let’s not kid ourselves on he’s been playing at this level and some of us just didn’t notice, Joe showed how good he could be one game then went missing the next 5, I’m delighted he’s managed to find consistency in his game he’s been outstanding probably since the split last season and really pushed on this season again, well done to the guy he’s obviously been working hard been really impressive so far this season
    He was easily our best player last season too.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I thought the contribution Nisbet made last season saved us from a real struggle and we would have ended up anywhere from 7th down to 12th without it.

Newell, for me, really upped his performance levels towards the backend of the season and has continued that in to this season. He’s playing at a totally different level week in, week out than he has in the rest of his time at Hibs IMO. He looks really hungry and I don’t see his levels dropping any time soon.

Good player. One of the best midfielders in the league outside Celtic.

I think the better the team plays the better Newall plays/looks. Some midfielders need the players around him to be playing well for them to be at the top of their game because he needs players to move around/make space so he can make passes.

For a while Newall would get get ball look up and have nobody to pass to hence he would end up losing it or passing it backwards often. The stick wasnt always justified imo and was partly down to the tactics of previous managers.

@hibs.net private member
    So…..I’m was someone who criticised Newell and thought he was at the heart of the problems in our midfield and team in general.

No doubt on his day, he is great to watch and a great footballer.

The problem was, it was 1 game in 3 at best.

Now however, I’m happy to admit he has been one of the star performers and in a much improved and more confident team.

I must say I wasn’t a 100% LJ out man either until the very last game but after reading the Vente tactics interview and the vast improvement in the team, then I wonder how much LJ held us and Newell back.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Bonus points for using “shan” in your post. Big fan of that, would read again.
    Yes but all those bonus points are recinded for using the word "thow-in" instead of "shy". If he'd said he had issues with Joe's Shan Shy's then he would have won a crackerjack pencil case !

Joe is consistently excellent. Can tackle, pass, go by players with the ball and works hard. He loves the Hibs. Really don't understand those who moan about him these days. I accept he's not world class but he wouldn't be at Hibs if he was. No doubt in my mind, he's a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Malonga's Cat View Post
    Joe is consistently excellent. Can tackle, pass, go by players with the ball and works hard. He loves the Hibs. Really don't understand those who moan about him these days. I accept he's not world class but he wouldn't be at Hibs if he was. No doubt in my mind, he's a player.
    I don’t think there is much moaning about Newell just now. There is pretty much total agreement that he is playing very, very well just now.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I thought the contribution Nisbet made last season saved us from a real struggle and we would have ended up anywhere from 7th down to 12th without it.

Newell, for me, really upped his performance levels towards the backend of the season and has continued that in to this season. He’s playing at a totally different level week in, week out than he has in the rest of his time at Hibs IMO. He looks really hungry and I don’t see his levels dropping any time soon.

There’ll be folk along to tell us he’s always played like this but to put it simply, he hasn’t, he hasn’t performed anywhere near what he has for the past 6 months or so for the vast majority of his time at Hibs.

He’s been excellent for a good while now though.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post

There’ll be folk along to tell us he’s always played like this but to put it simply, he hasn’t, he hasn’t performed anywhere near what he has for the past 6 months or so for the vast majority of his time at Hibs.

He’s been excellent for a good while now though.
    All about opinions, the last few months have definitely been his most consistent spell but I always thought his inconsistency was exaggerated quite a lot on here and made out to be a bigger problem that it actually was. Even when we were playing poorly he was still making plenty tackles and interceptions, always showing for the ball and rarely losing it.

He was hitting similar levels to his current from during our winning run in early autumn last season, and when we came third under jack Ross imo.

A lot of fans formed their opinion about Newell when he first came here and was played out of position by Heckingbottom, so looked a poor player.

It's taken until now for them to accept there is sufficient evidence that he is actually a good player.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    A lot of fans formed their opinion about Newell when he first came here and was played out of position by Heckingbottom, so looked a poor player.

It's taken until now for them to accept there is sufficient evidence that he is actually a good player.
    More simple than that IMO. There’s quite a number of people who simply think he’s playing better now than he ever has.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

But he wasn't, he came here after being played the majority of his time at Rotherham as a left side attacking midfielder, it was Newel himself who said he felt he played better through the middle, it's taken him a fair wee while to establish himself as a proper midfielder and a proper midfielder he is now.

I'm not sure why he got MotM today...didn't play badly but surely not MotM?

Jeggo beside him was more impactful IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I don’t think there is much moaning about Newell just now. There is pretty much total agreement that he is playing very, very well just now.
    There's always someone moaning about Joe. Old boy along from me on Wed night was dishing it out something rotten. Give it 5 mins and someone will be along to prove me right I'm sure. I am glad folk are giving plaudits now though.

First Team Regular
    Maybe not outstanding today. but did a lot of things right. I think he is a player.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    With threads on Youan, Triantis & Levitt. Is it fair to talk about Newell as well? How many midfield combinations can he be part of that are dreadful, lose their battle and go into its shell at the first sign of adversary, but always able to play the “least of our problems” card?

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    With threads on Youan, Triantis & Levitt. Is it fair to talk about Newell as well? How many midfield combinations can he be part of that are dreadful, lose their battle and go into its shell at the first sign of adversary, but always able to play the “least of our problems” card?
    Absolutely humpty today.

@hibs.net private member
    Always someone else’s fault when it comes to Newell. Another who would be nowhere near a good Hibs team

Most overrated Hibs player ever.

Joe Newell has captained us most weeks this season. That says it all about why there is such a complete lack of leadership in this side.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Nice guy, on his day (which isn’t anywhere near enough) excellent, but it’s a really sad reflection on who we have in our squad when he’s viewed as the standout candidate for captain.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'm sick of saying he's part of the problem, slows the game down with his first touch 99% of the time backwards.

Plays alongside the central defenders and plays it wide either way but rarely forward, with him on the ball the game becomes walking football, nowhere near urgent enough, but he does fight for the ball when we are defending and has nice hair.

Ever present in hopeless midfields over the past few years.

That he’s the least of our problems is the most damming indictment of the atrocious failure to fix the midfield problems.

I’ve generally defended Newell over the years, but like Doidge, he’s been part of an awful 5 year period. Massive underachievement.

I’d be happy to see the back of him, Hanlon, Lewis, Marshall. Most of the team basically.

Maybe only thing we can salvage this season, is giving Moriah-Welsh, Amos and Marcondes a run in the hope they (first 2 anyway) can be part of a longer term solution.

Summed up perfectly second half by doing the initial beating a man

Then thought he could just weave past another 2 in midfield and causes st Mirren counter

Another who’s time is probably close to being up

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Roll Royce when we win, Vauxhall Corsa when we lose.

Today was a Corsa day, as are most days at the moment.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson