hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar

Joe Newell

As much as I rated Joe highly before this year, he's had a pretty outstanding season so far. Consistency was the one thing people would criticise him for, in my opinion he's been largely pretty good for the last 12 months now, bordering on exceptional this season so far.

From a boo boys target to a bona-fide fans favourite, some turn around for the guy.

Personally would like to see him have the armband permanently. I love Hanlon for all he's done for the club, but I think Joe fits that role better currently. The video of the youth players talking about who they look up to was the biggest selling point for me during pre-season. Pretty much all of them said Joe.

A terrific footballer and loves the club as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As much as I rated Joe highly before this year, he's had a pretty outstanding season so far. Consistency was the one thing people would criticise him for, in my opinion he's been largely pretty good for the last 12 months now, bordering on exceptional this season so far.

From a boo boys target to a bona-fide fans favourite, some turn around for the guy.

Personally would like to see him have the armband permanently. I love Hanlon for all he's done for the club, but I think Joe fits that role better currently. The video of the youth players talking about who they look up to was the biggest selling point for me during pre-season. Pretty much all of them said Joe.

A terrific footballer and loves the club as well.

Agreed, would love to see him lift a cup or 2

The heart of the team and the man who drives us on when we need it.

Week in week out one of the best players on the park.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The heart of the team and the man who drives us on when we need it.

Week in week out one of the best players on the park.
    He’s been outstanding for a while now, he’s a proper leader on the park both in his own performance and in encouraging others.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

He's been captain in all but name for a long while now. No surprise at all to see him with the armband the last few weeks and wouldn't shock me if if was made official next season.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Has really kicked on in the last year

Was outstanding again last night one 40 yard pass to Boyler’s chest second half was sublime

I always seen him as a bit of a show pony with inconsistency being a fault but I take my hat off to him and think he's now established as the team leader. He's been the best player for us for a good wee while mow, I'd happily make him captain.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Credit where it’s due, I’ve never been fully convinced previously, but he’s been good, and improved his consistency, for the last year or so.

Funnily enough, he has come 180 and gone from a target for criticism to one that now escapes criticism. On the back of the credit in the bank he has built up, which I never felt he had a whole lot of at any any set time previously, it must be said. He was poor, along with everyone else, the first 3 league games and second half v Killie, alongside the rest of the team. Yet would be wrong to hold that against him and he’s having a good season overall.

Think it was the St Johnstone game, in the second half he received the ball, spun, shrugged off the St Johnstone player and drove up the park. That’s always been one of my main criticisms of Newell and something he does a lot more the last year or so than previously.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 28-09-2023 at 08:54 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    First name on the team sheet, end off.

Never understood the negativity around him, no denying he was inconsistent for a bit, but on his game the best player at Hibs. First name on the team sheet now. That wee cameo last night where he ran the ball out of defence beating about 3 players to do it was sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Never understood the negativity around him, no denying he was inconsistent for a bit, but on his game the best player at Hibs. First name on the team sheet now. That wee cameo last night where he ran the ball out of defence beating about 3 players to do it was sublime.
    My biggest bugbear was his inconsistency and also thought his corners throw ins and free kicks were pretty shan by and large also his lack of goals 8:153 or something but did notice a wee variation in free kicks last night that I put down to Monty

Without a doubt he has improved
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 28-09-2023 at 09:11 AM.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Seems to love life at Hibs. Could be a mainstay of our side for many years to come and rack up a big number of appearances. If he cotinues to perform to this standard then that would be no bad thing at all.

He's matured into a fine player. Playing some brilliant football this season just following on from last.

Never really been in doubt. Clear as soon as he switched to the middle how good he is.

Coaching Staff
    First name on the teamsheet and an integral part of the team.

Only criticism I have of him is his penchant for giving away some needless fouls.

I never thought consistency was an issue for Newell. Granted he’d have the odd really good game but I thought the vast majority of the time his performances were fairly consistent, just not near the current level.

Over the course of the last year he’s really improved in my eyes and is contributing more than he ever has, playing the best football he has since he arrived.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    My biggest bugbear was his inconsistency and also thought his corners throw ins and free kicks were pretty shan by and large also his lack of goals 8:153 or something but did notice a wee variation in free kicks last night that I put down to Monty

Bonus points for using “shan” in your post. Big fan of that, would read again.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Bonus points for using “shan” in your post. Big fan of that, would read again.
    Lived and worked in Leith for 5 years Matty

👍

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Great to see him being as effective as he is. He always had talent, but we never seemed to play in a way that supported his key attributes leading to critics of his work rate or lack of heart, when really he just had a lack of support. Now we're letting him dictate our play, and giving him the support of a strong defensive minded midfield colleague, we're definitely seeing the best of him.

I have a friend who’s a Leeds fan, and keeps an eye on us and he’s picked out Newell for a few weeks now. The guy is a machine ! And Jeggo helps his new role I think !

He doesn't need to score goals. If he never scored for us again, he'd still be our best player.

When is his contract up?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He doesn't need to score goals. If he never scored for us again, he'd still be our best player.
    Aye ok

Said himself he knows it

Don't think he's ever going to be a 10 a season player in all honesty, if you watch his cracking goal against Luzern Vente's lay off gave him no choice but to hit it first time and that undoubtedly helped. Generally his shooting ability is right up there with Dylan McGeouch's

Goals from midfield are always welcome, but with the firepower we now have in the final 3rd hopefully that will be less of a requirement. If I have one worry over Newell it's burnout, as things stand he's undroppable but he has to work his proverbial socks off in every game in that 2 man midfield.

Montgomery expects 100% effort all the time, every time, and that's what you get from Joe Newell, but it would be some shift to play the full 90 minutes plus in every game of a long season, if Levitt can live up to the hype and either replace him or be subbed on for him in a few games and be just as effective it wouldn't be a bad thing for the team as a whole .... the least you could hope for for an outlay of three hundred thousand quid you would think.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Don't think he's ever going to be a 10 a season player in all honesty, if you watch his cracking goal against Luzern Vente's lay off gave him no choice but to hit it first time and that undoubtedly helped. Generally his shooting ability is right up there with Dylan McGeouch's

Goals from midfield are always welcome, but with the firepower we now have in the final 3rd hopefully that will be less of a requirement. If I have one worry over Newell it's burnout, as things stand he's undroppable but he has to work his proverbial socks off in every game in that 2 man midfield.

Montgomery expects 100% effort all the time, every time, and that's what you get from Joe Newell, but it would be some shift to play the full 90 minutes plus in every game of a long season, if Levitt can live up to the hype and either replace him or be subbed on for him in a few games and be just as effective it wouldn't be a bad thing for the team as a whole .... the least you could hope for for an outlay of three hundred thousand quid you would think.
    👍

Aye ok

Said himself he knows it
    Great.

He would still be our best player if he never scored again.

Great.

He would still be our best player if he never scored again.
    If he keeps playing at the level he is playing just now every week he will be

A goal against Hearts would be nice though

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    If he keeps playing at the level he is playing just now every week he will be

A goal against Hearts would be nice though
    Certainly would missed a glorious chance at Hearts last time we played there. His form is exceptional at the moment.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Never really been in doubt. Clear as soon as he switched to the middle how good he is.
    This!

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Where’s that Loanhead Hibby charlatan when you’re looking for an up to date appraisal of JN? He’s been outstanding this season and I’m sure he’ll continue to prove his worth even more under NM as the season progresses. Disappointing that Joe has had quite a few detractors on here. Always been a quality player.