hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Spotting scopes

Spotting scopes

1. Has anybody got one or any expertise on them?

I'm looking to get one (instead of binoculars) for general use, looking at the moon and once I've seen that mostly for taking on (cruise) holidays. Ideally the one I get will be around £100 and weigh around 1 kilo, 1.5 max.

I'm also a bit confused about tripod mounts. The ones I've seen mostly seem to have a different mount to the standard camera mounts, slide in rather than screw. Am I right? A PITA as I have almost every type of camera tripod!

2. Has anyone got one they're now fed up with and now want shot of? 😆

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1. Has anybody got one or any expertise on them?

I'm looking to get one (instead of binoculars) for general use, looking at the moon and once I've seen that mostly for taking on (cruise) holidays. Ideally the one I get will be around £100 and weigh around 1 kilo, 1.5 max.

I'm also a bit confused about tripod mounts. The ones I've seen mostly seem to have a different mount to the standard camera mounts, slide in rather than screw. Am I right? A PITA as I have almost every type of camera tripod!

2. Has anyone got one they're now fed up with and now want shot of? 😆
    Re the mount, I got a "cheap" spotting scope from Lidl and it fits my tripod ok. I'm sure the fitting screws to the scope, which is then clamped to the tripod mount.
    Being a. Lidl product, it's not going to be a class leader with the best optics, but it is much better than using bino's.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Re the mount, I got a "cheap" spotting scope from Lidl and it fits my tripod ok. I'm sure the fitting screws to the scope, which is then clamped to the tripod mount.
    Being a. Lidl product, it's not going to be a class leader with the best optics, but it is much better than using bino's.
    Cheers 🍻
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Is that because they're harder to spot from behind the curtains 😁