hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryder Cup 2023

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    In foursomes do both players drive and then choose which ball to play or do the players play tee shots at say even or odd holes and alternate shots.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In foursomes do both players drive and then choose which ball to play or do the players play tee shots at say even or odd holes and alternate shots.
    Just 1 person drives and its alternate shot. That's why its important to work out whose driving on which holes or teeing off on par 3's etc.

Someone will tee off on all odd holes and the playing partner tees off on even numbered holes.

Hatton probably plays with Rahm so a good shout for top european players point scorer as he'll be bigger price than Rahm.

Max Homa had excellent record in the recent presidents cup which is like Ryder cup so good value for top USA player.

Flying over tomorrow and heading to the course on Friday, buzzing for this. Hoping Bob Mc gets to play both sessions on Friday otherwise going to look quite daft with the kilts on

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    The inclusion of hojgaard instead of Meronk is a head scratcher IMO. Decent enough team either way but struggling to see the justification.
    I'll obviously be hoping that Bob McIntyre plays well in the games he plays in but I still can't help feeling that he's the weakest player in the team and I would have selected Meronk before him.

However he is in the team on merit and nobody can deny that that's a fact.

It will be bacon roll and coffee time for me at 6.30am on Friday - I'm really looking forward to the big clash.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I'll obviously be hoping that Bob McIntyre plays well in the games he plays in but I still can't help feeling that he's the weakest player in the team and I would have selected Meronk before him.

It will be bacon roll and coffee time for me at 6.30am on Friday - I'm really looking forward to the big clash.

He went through a great run though and extremely unlucky not to win Scottish Open. Rory birdieing last 2 was just ridiculous.

He qualified automatically on merit, if meronk should have been in the team ahead of anyone it would be Hjoggard.

Bobs short game is as good as anyone on the Euro tour, hopefully a bit fire in his belly and fight brings out the best of him in matchplay.

Aberg is unbelievable, super star of the future. So calm for only having been pro a few months. Another that some folk might not be familiar with but could be a massive asset to the euro team.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    He went through a great run though and extremely unlucky not to win Scottish Open. Rory birdieing last 2 was just ridiculous.

He qualified automatically on merit, if meronk should have been in the team ahead of anyone it would be Hjoggard.

Bobs short game is as good as anyone on the Euro tour, hopefully a bit fire in his belly and fight brings out the best of him in matchplay.

Aberg is unbelievable, super star of the future. So calm for only having been pro a few months. Another that some folk might not be familiar with but could be a massive asset to the euro team.
    Bob's also won a tournament on this course as well as having put in respectable matchplay performances in the US in the past, I'm sure I remember him beating DJ in one a couple of years back.

I'd have probably picked Meronk over Hojgaard (mainly due to the fact the Meronk has won a few times and won on this course this year) but tbh there's not much in it.

There's often room for an unheralded European hero performing above expectation in this event and I wouldn't put it past anyone on that European team.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

His biggest problem this year has been a few big numbers at daft moments. He still makes tons of birdies. I think he will be just fine and actually thrive in the team environment. As you said he’s there on merit. It would have been Meronk over Hojgaard for me but we go with who we have.

Is it right Bob regularly plays shinty? Guy in the work mentioned this and seemed a bit unusual for a tour pro

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Just 1 person drives and its alternate shot. That's why its important to work out whose driving on which holes or teeing off on par 3's etc.

Someone will tee off on all odd holes and the playing partner tees off on even numbered holes.
    Thanks seems quite an odd format but very watchable.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Is it right Bob regularly plays shinty? Guy in the work mentioned this and seemed a bit unusual for a tour pro
    Yup. In his off time he has been known to turn out for Oban Celtic. His old man trains them.
    Talented family with the two cousins at Hibs.

Thanks seems quite an odd format but very watchable.
    It’s interesting to watch, good partners will work to set each other up for the next shot, whether that’s accounting for players who fade or draw the ball, what their partner’s strengths or favoured clubs are, how they like putting in particular situations, etc

Luke Donald just said it's the greatest team event in the world , fanny.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    Luke Donald just said it's the greatest team event in the world , fanny.
    He did admit he might be slightly biased with a bit of a smirk on his face…

Some start from Team Europe...

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Johnson clearly not going for the strategy of getting points on the board early with that selection! Can't take it away from Europe though, what a start.

@hibs.net private member
    Hovland and Rahm some cracking shots there great start for Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Hovland and Rahm some cracking shots there great start for Europe
    Absolute pumping

@hibs.net private member
    Lowry played really well that round, some shot out the bunker at the end thought that was away from fowler

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    4-0 to Europe after the Morning session.

Some start! Looking at the afternoon pairings, makes this morning selection from US seem a bit strange. A lot of talent left in the clubhouse.

I can see the US getting 3 points this afternoon and at least make it interesting, but what a position Europe have put themselves in!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Yesterday Paul Mcginlay made what turned out to be a very valid point when he said that he thought that some of the USA team could be ring rusty as its a few weeks since the Fed Ex Cup finished.

Yesterday Paul Mcginlay made what turned out to be a very valid point when he said that he thought that some of the USA team could be ring rusty as its a few weeks since the Fed Ex Cup finished.
    I'm amazed more of them haven't played in Europe since that season finished.

They'd be welcomed with open arms and there have been some excellent tournaments in that time.

Having all of the European players play at Wentworth certainly seemed like a sensible part of their preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Johnson clearly not going for the strategy of getting points on the board early with that selection! Can't take it away from Europe though, what a start.
    Streaky zach Johnson ;)

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fitzpatrick 🔥🔥🔥 -6 after 6 on own ball….whole teams played great so far..USA hardly holed a putt, surely that has to change!?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Was going to stick 4 0 for the morning session at 25's last night but didn't 🤬.

Got a fiver on the tie with Hatton/Holland vs Speith/Thomas though, hopefully get something up

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    3 halves salvaged by Europe going down the 18th. Incredible. US did not win a single match today

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Great finish from Europe, into a commanding position already. The star names on the team are really pulling out the stops and helping to mask that bit of depth of quality that's lacking down the order. Rahm, Fitzpatrick and Hovland in particular were outstanding. Rose digging out another half point at the end after MacIntyre seemed to lose his way.

Great to get everyone a run out today but you've got to think the Americans are going to come out fighting tomorrow. Best strategy would be to try and get as many of the big names and major winners on the team out for both sessions and try to push back against any US fightback. Having given the likes of MacIntyre and Hojgaard a go today I'd sit them down for tomorrow and go all out with the big guns.
    Last edited by mayo hibee; 29-09-2023 at 04:56 PM.

Great to see the Yanks get spanks.

6 up through 8 is disgusting. This is an utter pumping.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    6 up through 8 is disgusting. This is an utter pumping.
    Normally I'd want it to be fairly tight going I to sunday for entertainment purposes. But now I want an annihilation. No single point for American at all, even take a 4 0 from this morning and win it outright by tea time 😂