hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27,618

    The Open Championship

    After last weeks great event and finish in East Lothian who is getting it done this week?
    Koepka Fleetwood McIroy or Bob for me.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,154
    Too many to mention at this stage but going by the weather forecast, I'll be looking at the afternoon starters tomorrow/morning starters on Friday. That looks like the slightly favoured weather conditions at the moment.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,496
    Cam Smith, Hatton and Bob MacIntyre

  5. #4
    Testimonial Due ErinGoBraghHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Lanarkshire
    Posts
    2,141
    Hope MacIntyre does it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Iíve backed Cantlay (my usual) and Fowler. Along with a few each ways at large prices.

  7. #6
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    20,771
    A very confident and competent start from Scheffler.

    I'm enjoying this - birdies to be had, plenty of trouble to be had.

    First couple of looks at the 17th and it looks very interesting - Herbert has managed to chip it from just off the green into the bunker, eventually take triple bogey 6 and drop back from the lead to even par. Looks like it's a great wee hole.
    Last edited by Smartie; 20-07-2023 at 10:25 AM.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    57,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A very confident and competent start from Scheffler.

    I'm enjoying this - birdies to be had, plenty of trouble to be had.

    First couple of looks at the 17th and it looks very interesting - Herbert has managed to chip it from just off the green into the bunker, eventually take triple bogey 6 and drop back from the lead to even par. Looks like it's a great wee hole.
    I think Herbert disagrees.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,754
    Had a great day at the Open yesterday. Followed Jon Rahm around for his record breaking round. Unbelievable quality of golf he played

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    37
    Posts
    17,480
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    What is with Schefflerís back foot when heís striking the ball? I kept thinking he was slipping but itís every shot!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is with Schefflerís back foot when heís striking the ball? I kept thinking he was slipping but itís every shot!
    That's his swing.

    Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is with Schefflerís back foot when heís striking the ball? I kept thinking he was slipping but itís every shot!
    Scottie Shuffler!

    Always done it as far as Iím aware.

  13. #12
    Weather should make today lively!

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,278
    They've been very unlucky with the weather this week, it's almost seemed as though the rain systems have been aiming for the north of England. Throw in a low profile golfer running away with it and it's been a forgettable first three days.

    Hopefully today might be a bit more interesting, but Harmon could par it home from here so it will need him to blow up to make it anyway interesting.

  15. #14
    Rory on the rampage, and a bogey from Harman at the 2nd

  16. #15
    Another dropped shot or 2 from Harman in the gorse and this will be a lot more interesting.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,154
    Harman is a steely character and I for one, hope he goes on to win.

    His last six rounds in Open Championshio play have been :-

    68, 68, 66 (last year) and 67,65, 69 this year. That's pretty impressive stuff to say the least.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,278
    Very solid from Harman, but it makes for pretty terrible television viewing unfortunately. Even the commentators sound bored.

    None of the majors this year have been particularly memorable.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27,618
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very solid from Harman, but it makes for pretty terrible television viewing unfortunately. Even the commentators sound bored.

    None of the majors this year have been particularly memorable.
    Iíve fallen asleep twice.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,154
    Well played Brian Harman, he's played some brilliant golf in very testing conditions. He's been the master technician on a day when his golfing brain overcame the power players.

    It didn't make for exciting viewing but that was simply because the chasing pack didn't exactly "chase!"

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well played Brian Harman, he's played some brilliant golf in very testing conditions. He's been the master technician on a day when his golfing brain overcame the power players.

    It didn't make for exciting viewing but that was simply because the chasing pack didn't exactly "chase!"
    His putting in particular was phenomenal.

    Thoroughly deserved winner. As you say it was up to the others to match him and they never really got close. Folk say Jordan Speith isn't a crowd pleaser either but I enjoy watching both him and Harman (who also did well to ignore the flak from Tommy Fleetwood fans).

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well played Brian Harman, he's played some brilliant golf in very testing conditions. He's been the master technician on a day when his golfing brain overcame the power players.

    It didn't make for exciting viewing but that was simply because the chasing pack didn't exactly "chase!"
    Iíll echo that. It was particularly farcical Nick Faldo and the commentary team trying to keep the tension going tilll the last hole. He could have taken 10 down the last and still won!!!! I didnít half have a chuckle.

  23. #22
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    20,771
    It was to Harmanís credit that it was a bit dull and if a more celebrated player (like Woods) had built a lead and defended it like that heíd be rightly lauded.

    There was trouble out there, and it didnít take the worst shot in the world to find a player either OB or running up strokes via bunker trouble.

    I loved the first few days but as a spectacle it fell a bit short towards the end. Thatís sometimes just the way it goes though.

  24. #23
    Disappointed by the behaviour of some of the crowd towards Harman, most of it seemingly coming from fans of local favourite Fleetwood. Harman himself said some of the comments were 'unrepeatable'. Particularly poor was somebody shouting 'Miss it Brian!' as he stood over a putt, though you could also clearly hear somebody else shouting 'Shut up!'.

  25. #24
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    20,771
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disappointed by the behaviour of some of the crowd towards Harman, most of it seemingly coming from fans of local favourite Fleetwood. Harman himself said some of the comments were 'unrepeatable'. Particularly poor was somebody shouting 'Miss it Brian!' as he stood over a putt, though you could also clearly hear somebody else shouting 'Shut up!'.
    I quite like that once every couple of years golf gets a bit daft for the Ryder Cup and I like the 16th hole at Scottsdale but I think the Open Championship should be much better than that.

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I quite like that once every couple of years golf gets a bit daft for the Ryder Cup and I like the 16th hole at Scottsdale but I think the Open Championship should be much better than that.
    Yeh, I'm not personally mad about the tribalism at the Ryder Cup but the players seem to thrive on it and it tends to be more centred around supporting your team rather than directing personal abuse at a player. No place for that in golf. I saw a bunch of Fleetwood fans carrying an Everton banner around and I did think that maybe the terrace/golf course mix doesn't really sit well.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,278
    That's been a problem at Open Championships in the north west of England previously. There were quite a few people thrown out for similar issues the last time it was at Hoylake in 2014. Doesn't seem to happen at the courses in Scotland thankfully.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)