hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the point of baldness?

When I look at old pics of male relatives on both sides of my family and see the number of bald heads on show I realise I was fortunate to inherit whatever gene my dad possesses which has enabled me to hold on to my hair well into middle age. Some thinning starting to creep in now but I can live with that. Not at all sure I'd have coped so well had it started when I was in my 20s tho.

What mystifies me about hair loss is its randomness. If it was something that accompanied old age/decline I'd see some logic in it, but clearly it can afflict perfectly healthy folk at a very young age. I just see it as an unnecessary and unfair hindrance (and something that can really get people down). What is the point of it?
    Last edited by He's here!; 13-07-2023 at 11:42 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

**** knows but I’m not a fan, receding at 24 is shan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    **** knows but I’m not a fan, receding at 24 is shan

I feel your pain, that was me 10 years ago. Here I am now, still clinging on but knowing a trip to Turkey is on the agenda before I turn 40 in 6 years

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    I feel your pain, that was me 10 years ago. Here I am now, still clinging on but knowing a trip to Turkey is on the agenda before I turn 40 in 6 years
    I’m more than a bit tempted to shave it all off at this point, I’ve still a good bit of hair left but I’ve been using Alpecin for about 3 years now. Getting to the point I’m thinking what’s the point in delaying it any further?

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Easy for me to say at 58 with a full thatch but when I see blokes trying to hang on to what is going, especially the dreaded comb-over it's almost drawing attention. Really short or even completely no hair can look very cool.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I embraced the clippers two years ago and I’ve never looked back. The receding was noticeable (although I preferred to say I was gaining face as opposed to going bald). If you’re losing it, wheek it off. You won’t regret it. I should add I’m 41.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    I embraced the clippers two years ago and I’ve never looked back. The receding was noticeable (although I preferred to say I was gaining face as opposed to going bald). If you’re losing it, wheek it off. You won’t regret it. I should add I’m 41.
    I totally get what you’re saying mate, but you were 39 when you wheeked it off. I’m not sure I’m ready for that just yet

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    Agreed, better to embrace it. I run clippers across my head every 2 weeks, a number 1.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Some theories here:

https://www.belgraviacentre.com/blog...ial%20maturity.

My hair's thinning a bit (in my 50s) but mostly still there. Went grey starting in my 20s though, so swings and roundabouts.

There is almost no history or baldness in my family on either side.

However my dad was fully grey by 40 and white by 50. I first noticed a sprinkling of grey in my late 20s and at 37 now it's accelerating at some rate. I'm going to be the same as my dad.

Tbh I'm not all that bothered. It happens and I'll embrace it. It's always so obvious when men dye their hair and I honestly think they would look better just letting it go. I feel the same about baldness. I've got one mate who embraced it in his mid 20s and just shaved it all off, he looks good for it. Another got a dodgy hair transplant and looks a bit daft, I've yet to see a really good one tbh.

It is what it is. I'd rather not be grey but it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I've got really thick hair, but during Covid got the lot shaved off and found it very liberating.

Think yourselves lucky
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I hope I get my dad's hair genes. He's in his late 70s and still has a full head of hair. Despite being grey now he didn't really start going grey until his late 60s other than the odd hair. I must have receded somewhat as I used to have a widows peak which I despised and tried to cut off a few times as a kid which has now disappeared but nothing too obvious. On the grey front I've had a few people ask me if I dye my hair as I don't have any grey hairs coming through on my head. My facial hair is a different matter. I wouldn't grow a beard these days as it would be a weird patchwork of very dark hair (my natural hair colour), white, grey and, weirdly, ginger.

When I saw this thread I was going to post my understanding that the baldness gene was passed down through the maternal line, not the paternal line. I thought I would Google it before I posted and it turns out it is a commonly held myth. It actually comes from both parental lines.
    Last edited by overdrive; 14-07-2023 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I hope I get my dad's hair genes. He's in his late 70s and still has a full head of hair. Despite being grey now he didn't really start going grey until his late 60s other than the odd hair. I must have receded somewhat as I used to have a widows peak which I despised and tried to cut off a few times as a kid which has now disappeared but nothing too obvious. On the grey front I've had a few people ask me if I dye my hair as I don't have any grey hairs coming through on my head. My facial hair is a different matter. I wouldn't grow a beard these days as it would be a weird patchwork of very dark hair (my natural hair colour), white, grey and, weirdly, ginger.

When I saw this thread I was going to post my understanding that the baldness gene was passed down through the maternal line, not the paternal line. I thought I would Google it before I posted and it turns out it is a commonly held myth. It actually comes from both parental lines.
    Yes, the maternal line claim is just a myth.

If it's hard for blokes losing their hair it must be considerably worse for women.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

However my dad was fully grey by 40 and white by 50. I first noticed a sprinkling of grey in my late 20s and at 37 now it's accelerating at some rate. I'm going to be the same as my dad.

Tbh I'm not all that bothered. It happens and I'll embrace it. It's always so obvious when men dye their hair and I honestly think they would look better just letting it go. I feel the same about baldness. I've got one mate who embraced it in his mid 20s and just shaved it all off, he looks good for it. Another got a dodgy hair transplant and looks a bit daft, I've yet to see a really good one tbh.

It is what it is. I'd rather not be grey but it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.
    Haven't studied it close up but is Martin Boyle's transplant not quite decent?

One of the weirdest is Steven Fletcher's. I suspect there's some sort of hairpiece in there.

My main gripe is that I'm losing mine, my brother is keeping his, he's very proud of his and has taken the piss out of me for my baldness since long before the baldness even started (I have quite a big forehead, if not quite one of Shankland proportions).

Where's the justice in that?

Every time I see him I have a wee nose to see if it is thinning yet but no such luck so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Antonio Conte's looks the best. No idea how he's managed that after what he had playing for Juve during the 90s.

I'd be a bit concerned about how they'll look in 30 years time. It'll probably be better to be wrinkly, a bit over weight, a collection of white hair and baldness without strange transplanted clumps of hair in bits where you might not expect it to be. Everybody else my own age will be at that point.

I say that as someone who basically arrests one aspect of the ageing process for a living.

@hibs.net private member
    All my family have good heads of hair but many years ago I had long hair and problem was if I went out even in a stiff breeze I looked like I had been dragged through a nettle bush, my hair was a mess

My Dad also called me a ****ing Jessie and advised me to shave it off because if I was ever in a fight then I would get dragged about with the hair like a rag doll, at least if my hair is shaved then I have a chance

A week after getting my hair shaved I was surprisingly in a fight, the guy kicked me in the balls, game over 🤬
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 14-07-2023 at 04:07 PM.

It sucks a bit, I think mainly as hairstyle is part of our ‘look’ for so long. And maybe for most of us it’s a sign of getting auld.

FWIW I think we care more than anyone else about it, and generally partners and potential partners aren’t deterred by baldness at all.

I lost my hair early to mid 20's. Held of on the shaved heid look in some vain hope of it growing back but been a happy baldy for many years.

Feel a bit for one son who is going through that early 20's losing it pain, while the other one has a full head of hair.

I started losing my hair, or at least, noticing it in the shower, in my late teens. It was painfully obvious it was coming out faster and faster as I hit 20, then 21, then I just went into the barbers one day and told them to take it all off. I suppose it helped that I wasn't vain in the slightest and I genuinely didn't care one jot how it looked. I just went in, got it clipped, went home, and have never paid for a haircut since. Once a week, zero all over, jobs a good 'un.

I've got a theory that the earlier it happens the better. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at aged 7 and just took to it fine, whereas everybody I know who got diagnosed in their teens or 20s have either struggled really badly or sadly passed away with it. I think the older you are the more your hair is a part of your identity and it must be much more of a shock to lose it, on top of us all being much less resilient to change as we get older.

My hair was thinning a bit and receding at the sides from my early 30s. After my brother got married and my best man duties were discharged (I was 35 by then), I started shaving it a bit shorter, and over a few years kept going a bit shorter and a bit shorter til it was really short, just before lockdown I’d let it grow back in a bit, and it just proved that I was getting much thinner on top, so after lockdown kicked in, I worked up the balls to by a proper head shaver and shave it all off completely, and have never looked back.

for anyone who’s thinning and thinking about it, it’s actually quite liberating, no worry about styling it/brushing it/etc in the morning, no worries about running out of hair gel or wax or clay, never out of fashion , and so on.

my only 2 complaints are, firstly, I never used to get bothered by my head getting wet and it bugs me more now, and secondly, I hate my head getting too stubbly, so I shave my head roughly every 2 days, occasionally 3, because I don’t want it to look scruffy (imo)

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I lost my hair early to mid 20's. Held of on the shaved heid look in some vain hope of it growing back but been a happy baldy for many years.

Feel a bit for one son who is going through that early 20's losing it pain, while the other one has a full head of hair.

Spamheid

I lost my hair when i turned 30...Absolutely loved my blonde curtains ! Pulled me many Many burds over the years , When it went i was giving myself a 1 all over but looked odd having hair at the sides and nothing on top so in the last few weeks i've been shaving my heid to the bone ..Hated it to start with but now growing on me ( Excuse the pun )..You are what you are ... Don't feel bad guys if you have nae hair as alot of woman like a shaven headed man

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Get it shaved off. I noticed my hair was on its way out aged 30. Went straight to a number 1 for a couple of years then shaved the lot off. Depends on the shape of your head if you suit it i think. Im 59 so would probably be grey, i generally get taken for being younger than i am.

Shave it off. No regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Get it shaved off. I noticed my hair was on its way out aged 30. Went straight to a number 1 for a couple of years then shaved the lot off. Depends on the shape of your head if you suit it i think. Im 59 so would probably be grey, i generally get taken for being younger than i am.

Shave it off. No regrets.
    Ah see. The most important factor as you point out, is head shape. And unfortunately I've got more of a fivehead. Coupled with an egg shape and it's not conducive to looking good with a baldy

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Spamheid

I lost my hair when i turned 30...Absolutely loved my blonde curtains ! Pulled me many Many burds over the years , When it went i was giving myself a 1 all over but looked odd having hair at the sides and nothing on top so in the last few weeks i've been shaving my heid to the bone ..Hated it to start with but now growing on me ( Excuse the pun )..You are what you are ... Don't feel bad guys if you have nae hair as alot of woman like a shaven headed man
    Shaved to the bone? Do you do that yourself with a blade or go to the barbers? One of my neighbours does that I think as it occasionally looks as though there are wee shaving cuts on his head. Must be tricky to do the back of your head?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Shaved to the bone? Do you do that yourself with a blade or go to the barbers? One of my neighbours does that I think as it occasionally looks as though there are wee shaving cuts on his head. Must be tricky to do the back of your head?
    Its easy mate. Do it yourself. Just run your hand over your head as if you had a razor in it to see how eady it is You can access all easily. Probably cut my head twice in getting on for 30 years and that was becuase of trying to do it with a blunt razor.

If anyone hasnt guessed im the shaved head bloke with the English accent (northern) usually to be found pre match in the Percy or Robbies when im up for a game ! Come say hellio :)

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I've been shaving my head for about 30 years.
    Nothing to do with baldness , I just coyodnt be arsed with hairstyles and going to the barber.
    Incidently, I've only had 2 pairs of clippers in that time and my most recent ones are only 2 years old.
    Incredible value.

One wee tip about clippers , oil the blades everytime you use them.

I've also shaved it too the bone a few times and I quite like it but makes me look like a hooligan.

57 y/o, starting going gray at 49, still have a full head of hair, which is now roughly 50/50 between gray and brown.

My brother is 59, was blonde but is now bald as a coot.

Weird.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Full head of hair. Would love to keep it really short but have so many scars on my skull that it looks like crazy paving.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Still got my hair but forehead getting bigger 😀