hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordan Obita

Jordan Obita

First time seeing him and i thought he looked good , seems to be physically strong and with plenty of pace . Think he could be a good signing for us this season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First time seeing him and i thought he looked good , seems to be physically strong and with plenty of pace . Think he could be a good signing for us this season.
    Yes agree👍

My thoughts exactly.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Comfortable on his right foot also

@hibs.net private member
    All good. And let's hope he turns out a great signing.

At the risk of sounding like the miserable old git that I am, however, I do remember comments being posted at (more or less exactly) this time last year about how amazing Tavares looked against part-time opposition, so maybe best to withhold judgement until we've seen him in a few more serious matches.

But, yes, here's hoping!

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    I thought he looked a player from the get go. One of them you can just tell early doors. Looks like a real coup and proper replacement for doig at last , but obviously looks good as a left sided forward as well. Good timing to bring him in on a free just when we are about to receive extra cash in the bank from the doig sale. Hopefully reinvest that and the nisbet money on another 3 or 4 of the same calibre in other key areas. Im starting to get real positive vibes for next few years
    Last edited by Leith Green; 08-07-2023 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    All good. And let's hope he turns out a great signing.

At the risk of sounding like the miserable old git that I am, however, I do remember comments being posted at (more or less exactly) this time last year about how amazing Tavares looked against part-time opposition, so maybe best to withhold judgement until we've seen him in a few more serious matches.

But, yes, here's hoping!

Fair point you make to be honest .. But its also worth noting how highly rated he has been by the clubs he has previously played for. Supporters and coaches all speak highly of him

Looked strong and reasonably quick. Also seemed happy to come off his wing and bring the ball into the middle of the park. It seemed to me that LJ played Youan on the right to ensure him and Obita didn't take up each other's space at the top end of the park. That was fine today, but where does that leave us when Boyle comes back ... no chance him and Youan will play on the right in the same team.

He would simply have to play Obita as a left fullback with Youan in front of him, Boyle on the right and Miller backing him up as an overlapping fullback. How that would work defensively is open to question, but it wouldn't half make us a potent attacking threat with so many forward thinking players on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Looked strong and reasonably quick. Also seemed happy to come off his wing and bring the ball into the middle of the park. It seemed to me that LJ played Youan on the right to ensure him and Obita didn't take up each other's space at the top end of the park. That was fine today, but where does that leave us when Boyle comes back ... no chance him and Youan will play on the right in the same team.

He would simply have to play Obita as a left fullback with Youan in front of him, Boyle on the right and Miller backing him up as an overlapping fullback. How that would work defensively is open to question, but it wouldn't half make us a potent attacking threat with so many forward thinking players on the park.
    Be good to have various options depending on the level of opponent. Stevenson solid and dependable when looking to keep things tight , obita from full back when you are looking to dominate games. Also he can quite clearly play as an outside forward.

I think for certain games especially at home

Boyle could be used more straight through the middle. I think between him and Youan these two will swap during the game when ALF isn’t on the park.

Still think we need another wide attacker as well as a central striker.

Against the old firm I'd probably opt for Stevenson as LB as Obita does seem to be a attacking player who likes to push forward. Cadden's one I don't like playing RB against the old firm either for similar reasons. Though Obita could pay LM or LW if needed imo .

Maybe Boyle won't be rushed back for the first European game and we could go with a frontline of Obita , new striker🤞, Youan . Found it odd when Melkersen and Mackay came on , Melkersen went to the left side and Mackay to the right which wouldn't be there normal position's imo .

A pre-season friendly is a good time to see how Melkersen and Mackay play on the "wrong" wings.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Mackay was playing right back when he came on.

I could be wrong but has Melkersen not played out wide left before for us?

Mackay playing at RB/RWB I would only assume was due to the lack of players available? He could of played Campbell there but then would of needed to replace him in the middle.

Johnson must of though this was the best option with even Megwa having to go and play on the left.

Anyway Obita has a good 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    I could be wrong but has Melkersen not played out wide left before for us?

Mackay playing at RB/RWB I would only assume was due to the lack of players available? He could of played Campbell there but then would of needed to replace him in the middle.

Johnson must of though this was the best option with even Megwa having to go and play on the left.

Anyway Obita has a good 45.
    I can't recall Melkersen playing on the left tbh more central or on the right side though could be wrong on that . I suppose pre season friendlies is the time to try out these things though.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I can't recall Melkersen playing on the left tbh more central or on the right side though could be wrong on that . I suppose pre season friendlies is the time to try out these things though.
    My recollection may be skewed, but I'm sure he played on the left for us. I remember being surprised/disappointed. (I think.)
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    My recollection may be skewed, but I'm sure he played on the left for us. I remember being surprised/disappointed. (I think.)
    He probably has played on the left though I've just forgotten . I do remember him on the right one match and didn't think it suited him either . Maybe playing more central suits him better . Another young player I still think could come good for us yet 🤞

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    Be good to have various options depending on the level of opponent. Stevenson solid and dependable when looking to keep things tight , obita from full back when you are looking to dominate games. Also he can quite clearly play as an outside forward.

Quality options much needed, we discussed our inability to change things much from the bench at times last season. Hopefully Obita is good option at left back and further forward.

@hibs.net private member
    Any news on his recovery from injury…? Could do with him ready for next week!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Any news on his recovery from injury…? Could do with him ready for next week!
    Am sure out of all the injured players bar Cadden ( who is out long term ) L J said Obita could tske the longest to get back to full match fitness Would be a blow if that's the case, as Stevenson tonight didn’t have a very good game But you could say that about most of the players

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    He’s going to be playing catch up from the start. Not ideal having seen Stevenson play like he did tonight.

Where is Oscar McIntyre? Surely needs to be in contention now.

Of course Lewis is a legend but our expectations are so low now. He usually gets pass marks for being solid defensively and keeping the ball. He very very rarely gets up to hit the bye line and contribute in an attacking sense.

Harsh to judge him on that all time low today but he needs phased out now

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Where is Oscar McIntyre? Surely needs to be in contention now.

Of course Lewis is a legend but our expectations are so low now. He usually gets pass marks for being solid defensively and keeping the ball. He very very rarely gets up to hit the bye line and contribute in an attacking sense.

Harsh to judge him on that all time low today but he needs phased out now
    Only seen the highlights but I'll say this. For their first goal when the ball is flicked on behind Stevenson and Hanlon, they both turn round to face our goal about 5 yards inside our own half, with Hanlon starting his run back slightly in front of Stevenson. By the time the ball is getting played into our box, Stevenson is at least back near our 6-yard box in a position to defend, having taken 15 yards off an ambling Hanlon over about 40 yards. Horrendous from the skipper.
    Can say the same of Miller not bothering to track back for their 2nd. Flatter footed than a flat footed mannequin advertising a flat foot correction centre.

Coaching Staff
    Maybe his chicken skin injury will have healed enough for him to get some minutes against Blackpool tomorrow? Hopefully the likes of Boyle, Newell who hasn't played that much and a few others can get minutes, too. It'll still be weeks before they are fully match fit and the SPFL starts next weekend.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Really hope we haven't signed yet another perpetually injured player.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Maybe his chicken skin injury will have healed enough for him to get some minutes against Blackpool tomorrow? Hopefully the likes of Boyle, Newell who hasn't played that much and a few others can get minutes, too. It'll still be weeks before they are fully match fit and the SPFL starts next weekend.
    I just hope he’s not plucked for the rest of the season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Really hope we haven't signed yet another perpetually injured player.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    I just hope he’s not plucked for the rest of the season.
    He will be ok, comes from good stock.

Quote Originally Posted by leith lynx View Post
    He will be ok, comes from good stock.
    That may be the case, but we're discussing feather or not he can stay injury free.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    That may be the case, but we're discussing feather or not he can stay injury free.
    Sure he will make an eggsellent recovery.