hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 73

Thread: Wimbledon 2023

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    65
    Posts
    19,312

    Wimbledon 2023

    Missing Sir David Gray on here, he would have had the thread started long before now. Hope he's back some time.

    My wife and I had tickets for Court 1 on Friday but we're both down with a sickness bug with no sign of much improvement so had to cancel. Absolutely gutted.

    Anyway, Alcaraz has just started and looking forward to Murray v Peniston this afternoon.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Spoiler alert. That bellend Djokovic wins.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spoiler alert. That bellend Djokovic wins.
    Shock. Not like you to come on and slag him off.
    Hope he wins, your outrage will be epic.
    Alcaraz could be the guy to stop him though. Superb player, and improving on grass court
    Last edited by hibeg; 04-07-2023 at 05:42 PM.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    65
    Posts
    19,312
    Love watching Sabalenka, all that raw power, these screams and facial expressions. Hope she wins it.

    Easy win for Murray. Tsitsipas or Thiem next.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Missing Sir David Gray on here, he would have had the thread started long before now. Hope he's back some time.

    My wife and I had tickets for Court 1 on Friday but we're both down with a sickness bug with no sign of much improvement so had to cancel. Absolutely gutted.

    Anyway, Alcaraz has just started and looking forward to Murray v Peniston this afternoon.

    hope heís keeping well

  7. #6
    Putting sentiment aside, is anyone else really surprised murray is favourite to beat Tsitsipas today?

    Maybe Iím just so out of touch these days but Iíd have guessed the Greek would have been about 1/5!!

    Iíll be wrong as usual and another good win for Murray incoming 😁

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,145
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Putting sentiment aside, is anyone else really surprised murray is favourite to beat Tsitsipas today?

    Maybe Iím just so out of touch these days but Iíd have guessed the Greek would have been about 1/5!!

    Iíll be wrong as usual and another good win for Murray incoming
    I think it'll be a good game, but I wouldn't have Murray as favourite.

    I guess the bookies are pricing in the fact that Tsitsipas had a long one yesterday, whilst Murray had a day off? Plus the fact that grass isn't traditionally the Greek's favourite surface.

    I'd say he did very well to beat Thiem yesterday, and will be a very tough prospect for Murray.

    Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it'll be a good game, but I wouldn't have Murray as favourite.

    I guess the bookies are pricing in the fact that Tsitsipas had a long one yesterday, whilst Murray had a day off? Plus the fact that grass isn't traditionally the Greek's favourite surface.

    I'd say he did very well to beat Thiem yesterday, and will be a very tough prospect for Murray.

    Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
    Yeah you could be right, and heíll have the whole crowd onside too. As I say I havenít seen nearly as much as I usually do and didnít realise his game was so long last roundÖ just expected the Greek to be a fairly short favourite!

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Putting sentiment aside, is anyone else really surprised murray is favourite to beat Tsitsipas today?

    Maybe Iím just so out of touch these days but Iíd have guessed the Greek would have been about 1/5!!

    Iíll be wrong as usual and another good win for Murray incoming 😁
    Very surprised to hear that. The Andy Murray of today, capable as he still is of playing tennis most mortals can only dream of, is no way favourite for this match.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very surprised to hear that. The Andy Murray of today, capable as he still is of playing tennis most mortals can only dream of, is no way favourite for this match.
    Iím glad itís not just a case of me being daft!

  12. #11
    Stunning win for Liam Broady. He's always had the talent, just never nailed it down.

    Katie Boulter also going well.

  13. #12
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    14,827
    Looks like Andy and the Greek are set in for the night. A right battle.

  14. #13
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    52
    Posts
    22,315
    1 set each, gripping stuff! 👏

  15. #14
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    52
    Posts
    22,315
    2-1 Murray, he took a terrible fall on the penultimate point. Match continues tomorrow.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    8,512
    What an athlete Andy Murray is. Talent, skill, will to win, effort, commitment all off the scale

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    47
    Posts
    32,255
    I'm no sure this break suits Murray , He had his opponent on the ropes !! Sisipass now regroups and goes again tomorrow and if he comes out hitting as hard as he did in the 1st set it's game on ! Still in the balance for me


    By the way Murray rolling back the years , Absolutely brilliant ..Metal hip and 36 years old , Scotlands greatest ever sportsman

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm no sure this break suits Murray , He had his opponent on the ropes !! Sisipass now regroups and goes again tomorrow and if he comes out hitting as hard as he did in the 1st set it's game on ! Still in the balance for me


    By the way Murray rolling back the years , Absolutely brilliant ..Metal hip and 36 years old , Scotlands greatest ever sportsman
    Not only Scotland's but Britain's greatest ever IMHO.

    It was vintage stuff and wonderful to see how passionately the crowd got behind him. As you say, he was thriving on the late night atmosphere and the break came at a better time for his opponent - although Andy may need some recovery time from that fall.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Up my own erchie
    Posts
    8,321
    Last night was sporting theatre of the the highest order. Murray played unbelievably well, so did Tsapitas (he looked like a real talent). What a pity it had to stop, you had the feeling Murray was going to prevail in a fourth set. I suspect things may pan out a bit differently today though.

  20. #19
    Coaching Staff Betty Boop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Posts
    9,067
    Soorr puss moaning and groaning.

  21. #20
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    52
    Posts
    22,315
    Murray loses his serve in the 5th set, can't see him recovering from that.

  22. #21
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    52
    Posts
    22,315
    Murray loses 3-2 to the 5th seed. Fine effort but, not quite good enough.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    65
    Posts
    19,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Soorr puss moaning and groaning.
    What a contribution, looking forward to seeing more.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    65
    Posts
    19,312
    Disappointing, really thought Andy was going to do it. But a lot of folk (esp the bookies surprisingly) seemed to have forgotten Tsistipas is 5 seed with a fantastic serve and forehand.

    Norrie out too.

  25. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disappointing, really thought Andy was going to do it. But a lot of folk (esp the bookies surprisingly) seemed to have forgotten Tsistipas is 5 seed with a fantastic serve and forehand.

    Norrie out too.
    He certainly had the momentum last night. Felt he had to win it in four tho as in the end it came down to nothing more than the 12 year age gap as you would never have known one player was fifth seed and the other unseeded.

    Great effort by Andy.

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Soorr puss moaning and groaning.
    I was kind of biting my tongue as was sure Iíd be the only one who found him a bit much at times 😂

    Couldnít help thinking that a few individuals would be up in arms at the way oor Andy goes on sometimes if it had been the Serbian machine.

    Still some effort to see him back playing at this level with a hip replacement.

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was kind of biting my tongue as was sure Iíd be the only one who found him a bit much at times 😂

    Couldnít help thinking that a few individuals would be up in arms at the way oor Andy goes on sometimes if it had been the Serbian machine.

    Still some effort to see him back playing at this level with a hip replacement.
    Yeh, you can see the frustration of not quite bring able to rekindle the brilliance of his peak years due injury/age boils over. He's so beloved of the Wimbledon crowd tho and has done so much for British sport that the vast majority will forgive him a few expletives.

    He's also remains great box office unlike the Serbian automaton, who played out his perfunctory grind-fest over Wawrinka in front of a barely half-full arena. Any other champion taking to the court for the Friday night slot would pack the place out.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tinto Hill
    Age
    30
    Posts
    18,050
    Eubanks v Tsitsipas going the full five sets. Really good game.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I donít think thereís a better football celebration ever in the game.Ē

    Sir Alex Ferguson

  29. #28
    That Alcaraz berrettini match was superb. Alcaraz definitely going to win quite a few majors in his career.

  30. #29
    Superb comeback from Jabeur there.

  31. #30
    We can say what we want about Djokovicís personality. Absolutely phenomenal tennis player.

    Would be nice to see Alcaraz take the title but Novak will absolutely deserve it if he claims another.

    Hope Jabeur goes on to win the femaleís.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)