hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wimbledon 2023

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guys like Connors, McEnroe, Nastase we’re not exactly likeable
    They were all numbers 1s in tennis for a reason.
    They had a will to win which lesser players couldn’t match
    It’s a very hard sport to reach the pinnacle
    And yet Federer did so, and I’d suggest Nadal did it as well, with a hell of a lot more charm on the court than ND.

No question he’s on of the all time greats - I think Nadal, Federer and Djokovic will be remembered as three giants of the game.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

2. Log in to remove the advert

What question mark ?
    Was anything said before COVID, genuine question ?

yeah, lots said about his overnight transformation from a guy who couldn’t last 5 sets into a superhuman with stamina to spare

then there’s the regular lengthy toilet breaks, convenient injuries, delays asking for the doctor, that only occur when his opponent has momentum and/or on top

Imo, the man is a cheat - everyone is entitled to their opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    yeah, lots said about his overnight transformation from a guy who couldn’t last 5 sets into a superhuman with stamina to spare

then there’s the regular lengthy toilet breaks, convenient injuries, delays asking for the doctor, that only occur when his opponent has momentum and/or on top

Imo, the man is a cheat - everyone is entitled to their opinion though
    Interestingly one of the pundits today said he always seems to come back after a toilet break somehow refreshed, which sounded like he was suggesting something dodgy was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    I'm sure I said so far.
    You did. I didn't say you hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I was wondering whether an extended toilet break, feigning injury or the 'magic bottle' would come first.
    Tennis fans know the score and they know Djokovic is, always has been, and always will be a grade A tool.

He could win 30 Slams and never be regarded as the greatest. There's more to that accolade than trophy tallies and he can't hold a candle to Federer or Nadal when it comes to all-round on and off court class. As you say, his gamesmanship is always distasteful, while you'd never see Rafa or Roger smash their racket in those circumstances. His suffocating, grinding style works for him but it's a turn-off for those who want to be entertained.

Throw in his moronic behaviour during Covid and his 'gluten-free diet' inspired transformation from brattish 'injury' prone loser to near unbeatable automaton and it's not hard to see why he's arguably the least popular sports champion of all time.

For many his career highlights were his disqualification from the US Open and his deportation from Australia.

Well done Alcaraz.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Tennis fans know the score and they know Djokovic is, always has been, and always will be a grade A tool.

He could win 30 Slams and never be regarded as the greatest. There's more to that accolade than trophy tallies and he can't hold a candle to Federer or Nadal when it comes to all-round on and off court class. As you say, his gamesmanship is always distasteful, while you'd never see Rafa or Roger smash their racket in those circumstances. His suffocating, grinding style works for him but it's a turn-off for those who want to be entertained.

Throw in his moronic behaviour during Covid and his 'gluten-free diet' inspired transformation from brattish 'injury' prone loser to near unbeatable automaton and it's not hard to see why he's arguably the least popular sports champion of all time.

For many his career highlights were his disqualification from the US Open and his deportation from Australia.

Well done Alcaraz.
    Sums it up perfectly
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Talking to a tennis coach who said Federer was technically the perfect player in the game.

But that doesn't make him the top achiever.

That's Djokovic, warts and all, and he's not finished by a long chalk.

The US final should be a cracker if it's the same guys.

Well done Alcaraz.
    I’m not his biggest fan (always been a Nadal man) and was right behind Alcaraz yesterday, but I think that’s an extremely bitter and pathetic way to sum-up the achievements of a player like Djokovic. Covid stance aside, I think he gets a pretty over-the-top rough deal. And his trophy haul is absolutely immense.

He was as gracious as ever in his post-match interview and seemed to have plenty of support from ‘tennis folk’ during and after the final, despite playing a young and likeable upcoming star.

I don’t get why people get so upset about him going to the bog for 5 minutes. I often take double that to have a *****.

If anything ever comes out about him taking illegal substances to enhance his performance or fitness, I’ll lose my respect for him like I would any other sportsman. As it is, he deserves all his success and more praise than he receives.. for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I’m not his biggest fan (always been a Nadal man) and was right behind Alcaraz yesterday, but I think that’s an extremely bitter and pathetic way to sum-up the achievements of a player like Djokovic. Covid stance aside, I think he gets a pretty over-the-top rough deal. And his trophy haul is absolutely immense.

He was as gracious as ever in his post-match interview and seemed to have plenty of support from ‘tennis folk’ during and after the final, despite playing a young and likeable upcoming star.

I don’t get why people get so upset about him going to the bog for 5 minutes. I often take double that to have a *****.

If anything ever comes out about him taking illegal substances to enhance his performance or fitness, I’ll lose my respect for him like I would any other sportsman. As it is, he deserves all his success and more praise than he receives.. for me.
    There's no bitterness on my part. As you say he's racked up a stack of trophies doing things his way. I just think he's a tw*t of a bloke and I also find his style of play (which is focused on sucking the life out of his opponent) plus his gamesmanship when things are going against him deeply unattractive. So much so that I stopped watching matches involving Djokovic a couple of years back. Prior to that I'd only really watch a full match involving him when he was playing Andy Murray.

A one-off excessive toilet break would be fine but it's a common 'tactic' of his at key moments (almost succeeded yesterday too) as is calling for the trainer to deal with 'injuries' which just happen to occur when his opponent has the momentum.

There's no 'rough deal'. He brings his unpopularity on himself.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    There's no bitterness on my part. As you say he's racked up a stack of trophies doing things his way. I just think he's a tw*t of a bloke and I also find his style of play (which is focused on sucking the life out of his opponent) plus his gamesmanship when things are going against him deeply unattractive. So much so that I stopped watching matches involving Djokovic a couple of years back. Prior to that I'd only really watch a full match involving him when he was playing Andy Murray.

A one-off excessive toilet break would be fine but it's a common 'tactic' of his at key moments (almost succeeded yesterday too) as is calling for the trainer to deal with 'injuries' which just happen to occur when his opponent has the momentum.

There's no 'rough deal'. He brings his unpopularity on himself.
    I agree. I can only think of Seb Coe and Phil Taylor as sportspeople (non-football) that I've disliked more.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post

Agree completely.
    However , for the last couple of years, it seems we are the only two on the forum who are of the same opinion

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Agree completely.
    However , for the last couple of years, it seems we are the only two on the forum who are of the same opinion
    I think people just love the pantomime 'goodies and baddies' scenarios in sport. Djokovic is quite a typical winner I'd say, willing to do whatever it takes to gain an advantage.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I agree. I can only think of Seb Coe and Phil Taylor as sportspeople (non-football) that I've disliked more.
    As I mentioned earlier I no longer watch his matches live as I find him so repellent. We had a few days away this week tho and I took the opportunity one lazy, rainy afternoon to check out the final properly, safe in the knowledge he got beat. What was really noticeable was that he was made to look his age by Alcarez. Almost as though he grew old before our eyes.