hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s not daft when it was her job. The in field stuff was/is for others to do.
    It was all her job, she hired and managed the Head of Football Operations. Which, as a Football Club, is kinda the main thing and what we'll look back on. If a crap, overpriced dinner experience outweighs a Scottish Cup win along with the Lennon ride when you think back over LD's tenure then you do you.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    It was all her job, she hired and managed the Head of Football Operations. Which, as a Football Club, is kinda the main thing and what we'll look back on. If a crap, overpriced dinner experience outweighs a Scottish Cup win along with the Lennon ride when you think back over LD's tenure then you do you.
    On the pitch is the important thing and she done well in the sense that picking the right guys to run that masked all the poor work she done off the field.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Their fans are rightly pissed off, the board have essentially built themselves a big fancy directors box instead of the main stand which was originally planned.

Budge will be seething with cringey jealousy.

@hibs.net private member WeAreHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Budge will be seething with cringey jealousy.
    Hardly! It was probably her idea😉

The starting point for any building project in Scottish football is to consider what Budge would do and, if possible, ask her for advice.

With those essential steps taken, all that's needed for a successful building project in Scottish football is to do the exact opposite.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Fair points. I think it's somewhat important to remember that she probably had to prioritise at first, to rebuild the team. She inherited a real sorry mess.

Personally I much preferred supporting Hibs under her than our current lot.
    No matter what opinions there are of Dempster that may circle this forum and the wider Hibs community, I’d be astonished if anyone could disagree with your last point there and after all that’s surely what’s most important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by TelaStella View Post
    No matter what opinions there are of Dempster that may circle this forum and the wider Hibs community, I’d be astonished if anyone could disagree with your last point there and after all that’s surely what’s most important.

I'd happily disagree. The off the field was falling apart and she was more interested in how good our charity work was. We had completely abandoned the on field plan when we brought in Lennon which ended in a complete debacle. I have zero faith in her ability to turn it around. I have more faith in the current lot to have us competing. At least we now seem to learn and admit to mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rude View Post
    I'd happily disagree. The off the field was falling apart and she was more interested in how good our charity work was. We had completely abandoned the on field plan when we brought in Lennon which ended in a complete debacle. I have zero faith in her ability to turn it around. I have more faith in the current lot to have us competing. At least we now seem to learn and admit to mistakes.
    That’s a fair assessment and we can certainly agree on some things. I’d say for whatever plan that may have been conceded to Lennon’s management, we gained arguably the most exciting season in years- undisputed if you’re born post 2000- with Europe and wins over hearts/old firm either side of that campaign too. What led after that was a disappointing, decline, offering very inconsistent thrills compared to prior, granted. Overall though I’d still stand by my point and that of the previous poster’s- that Hibs were a more enjoyable and exciting team to watch in those years under Dempster compared to post Dempster. Regrettably I’ve seen very little since to dispute that. Hopefully mate, your faith can be repaid in today’s hierarchy in the coming season and seasons ahead, giving us all many more happy memories to come.

Ggtth.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Think it’s the off field stuff. On field she appointed folk that were good and won the cup.

Off it we had advertising boards unpaid for, rubbish corporate, a stand that was a write off and couldn’t even be given away to the NHS. Plus when we won the cup we were woefully under prepared with merchandise.
    Like most folk running football clubs she got some right some wrong. She took over an absolute basket case of a club, in fact on the day of her first meeting with the board there was 2000 folk in the car park pointing out just how much of a basket case it was. If someone that day had said within a few seasons we would win the cup and set a 40 year high in average attendance they would have been sectioned ...... Leeann Dempster deserves to be remembered fondly for the undoubted part she played in that.

But yeh, there was mistakes and I completely agree with criticism over the state the FF was allegedly allowed to get into, which contributed to the loss of behind the goals ... something the current owners should have on their list of things that need rectified.

The failure to cash in commercially on the cup win can't be argued with either, that was nothing short of a disaster. There's no bigger Hibs fan than me, but to this day my cup final memorabilia extends to a programme from the day and my match ticket sitting in a frame on a wall in my house. No T shirt or stuff like that, not even a fridge magnet, not a single club produced item to celebrate the biggest day in the club's history since the 1950s

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Demster herself observed that the lifespan of a CEO was about 5 years then things start to go stale rather than dynamic.

I liked her, and thought she was largely very good for the club at that time and we were lucky to have her particularly as she was given a way out before she’d even started after relegation, but chose to stay and contribute to rebuilding the club.

My biggest gripe was the loyalty points debacle, but in the main, I thought she was a fine CEO.

A bit of background info on the stadium rebuild

The original plans were for two stands that would run the full length of the pitch on the East and West side.

They then realised that was impractical, as it would mean demolishing the office building on the south west side, so the plan was changed to a full length East Stand and an away fans stand behind the goals, at the South side.

Due to lockdown, then the original contractor going bust, the rebuild was delayed by at least 2 years.

The East Stand is finished and the foundations for the South Stand are now underway.

That monstrosity in the photo, though...

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    48 hours after seeing a photo of that stand and i still can't decide what i think of it, it just looks so surreal

i think it's just a huge big shoe box laying on it's side, with the lid off

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    48 hours after seeing a photo of that stand and i still can't decide what i think of it, it just looks so surreal

i think it's just a huge big shoe box laying on it's side, with the lid off

Seems like some sort of stand you would see in an Authoritarian regime. Few important people get the best seats stuff the ordinary folk. A terrible look to be honest.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Seems like some sort of stand you would see in an Authoritarian regime. Few important people get the best seats stuff the ordinary folk. A terrible look to be honest.

i'm thinking North Korea

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i'm thinking North Korea
    Me too only one very big seat in that stand though

[QUOTE=Rick Rude;7380806]I'd happily disagree. The off the field was falling apart and she was more interested in how good our charity work was. We had completely abandoned the on field plan when we brought in Lennon which ended in a complete debacle. I have zero faith in her ability to turn it around. I have more faith in the current lot to have us competing. At least we now seem to learn and admit to mistakes.[/QUOTE

Same here.

First Team Regular
    My main concern with Queens Park potentially getting promoted was such a small capacity stadium, with the new one being somewhere over the 2000 mark I believe. As it turns out they are going to be using the main Hampden stadium this season. Had they been promoted we could have seen some very big crowds there especially when their Glasgow neighbours came calling - but in the Championship? At least there will be plenty tickets available if we draw them away in one of the cups.

Quote Originally Posted by Musselbound View Post
    My main concern with Queens Park potentially getting promoted was such a small capacity stadium, with the new one being somewhere over the 2000 mark I believe. As it turns out they are going to be using the main Hampden stadium this season. Had they been promoted we could have seen some very big crowds there especially when their Glasgow neighbours came calling - but in the Championship? At least there will be plenty tickets available if we draw them away in one of the cups.
    The other side of that coin if you are the treasurer of one of the other premiership clubs is their tiny away support. We already have two clubs in this division in Livvi and Ross County who's usual away 'crowd' wouldn't put the seating capacity of an LRT double decker bus in danger, replacing Dundee Utd who can bring 1500 on a good day with another club barely capable of 100 would have been depressing.

Queens Park have a big advantage over practically every club in Scotland when it comes to their proximity to Hampden. By leasing the place they would have the ability to generate huge sums of money, 3 home games against the uglies could easily at a conservative estimate see them generate a total of 90,000 away fans in these 3 matches .... chuck in unlimited tickets available to the likes of Hibs Hearts and Aberdeen and their average home attendance even without making the top 6 would easily outstrip that of far bigger clubs like Motherwell or Dundee.

In a financial sense they would contribute next to nothing but gain massively if they were to make the premiership ... for that reason I would hate to see them get promoted.

Tried to put Time For Heroes on just now but my ancient DVD player is in the huff.

It did make me think about first time I watched it though, in October (?) 16. Made me think about criticisms above about Cup win merch.

The merch was rubbish from the off and it didn't get better.

The DVD didn't come out for months.

I don't think they are disconnected. Based on nothing, I think Hibs didn't want to be triumphalist while the disciplinary was outstanding. In the end the case against us ran aground on a technicality.

Lea-ahn got stuff wrong. Sure. We all do. I think any failings about ker-chinging merch on the back of 21/05 might be more down to the folk who couldnae stay in the stands.
    Last edited by Glory Lurker; 30-06-2023 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Tried to put Time For Heroes on just now but my ancient DVD player is in the huff.

It did make me think about first time I watched it though, in October 16(?). Made me think about criticisms above about Cup win merch.

I don't think they are disconnected. Based on nothing, I think Hibs didn't want to be triumphalist while the disciplinary was outstanding. In the end the case against us ran aground on a technicality.

Lea-ahn got stuff wrong. Sure. We all do. I think any failings about ker-chinging merch on the back of 21/05 might be more down to the folk who couldnae stay in the stands.
    I seriously doubt that to be honest. If I had my way Hibs would re release that DVD with an extra half hour of after match exuberance included

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post

It did make me think about first time I watched it though, in October (?) 16. Made me think about criticisms above about Cup win merch.

The DVD was well worth the wait. It is absolutely excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    40 odd seats - probably just as well they failed to get promoted.

That resembles something they’d watch the jousting from in Game of Thrones

First Team Breakthrough
    The stadium Queens Park have built is an absolute disaster. That team will eventually play in the top division due to the healthy backing it has received from a rich owner. How he went from what was previously a decent stadium design to that is mad. Too much money and not enough sense. Have any football journalists asked the club why they went with this design?

@hibs.net private member
    I have always wondered if the long term plan was to return to Hampden with Lesser becoming a top notch training facility. Certainly that is how it has worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    I have always wondered if the long term plan was to return to Hampden with Lesser becoming a top notch training facility. Certainly that is how it has worked out.
    That's what I'm wondering.

Does seem that way...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    That resembles something they’d watch the jousting from in Game of Thrones

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    40 odd seats - probably just as well they failed to get promoted.

The previous plan for that side was for it to look like this...
    (which surely looks a lot better than that monstrosity)

Lesser Hampden Stadium Development Holmes Miller.jpg

What I don’t understand is why they didn’t make it literally a miniature version of Hampden, that’d have been cool

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    What I don’t understand is why they didn’t make it literally a miniature version of Hampden, that’d have been cool

It does, a ****ing mess

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    It does, a ****ing mess
    Well yes. But you know what I meant.